Stanley Associates

3.6
Phil Nolan

1. Pretty Good

I have been working at Stanley Associates

Pros

Great Benefits
    Competitive Pay
    Work/Life Balance

Management cares about keeping good employees. If you're looking for something different, you'll have the opportunity.

Cons

Defense contracting
    Limited Systems Engineering work
    Recent Acquisition leaves culture and benefits in question

Like most defense contracting jobs, a lot depends on the site you work at, the customer you work for, and the management you deal with.

Advice to Management

At this point, the management is in flux. Here's hoping that the new company will look at what made employees happy to work for Stanley and make some changes to accomodate the new team members.

2. The grass is greener on this side

Current Employee - Middle Management in Dumfries, VA
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Dumfries, VA

I have been working at Stanley Associates

Pros

Not one to normally believe in idioms, the grass is definitely greener on this side. While you can always find something to complain about, Stanley is one of those companies where you just do not want to leave. Good medical, higher than average pay, team-oriented atmosphere, and flexible work schedule.

Cons

Middle management gets the job done and this is what has made Stanley so successful. It's the executive management that needs some therapy. Lack of operational vision and growing too fast too short of time has made most of the executive team excess baggage. No clear career tracks leaves every man for themselve.

Advice to Management

Too much pride and not enough work ethic. Get over yourself and get your hands dirty from time to time. Need to focus more on operations and less on your legacy.

3. Stanley Associates-Why Work Anywhere Else?

Current Employee - Data Entry Administrative in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Data Entry Administrative in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Stanley Associates

Pros

1) The supervisors are wonderful, and they care not only for their employees, but also for their lives outside work. 2) We are given very flexible schedules, and we are even allowed to make up time if we are unable to come to work for any reason. 3) The pay is excellent, and I've received several raises in 1 year of working here. I'd definitely recommend Stanley Associates for anyone looking for a job!

Cons

At times, the work can get monotonous, but that is true for just about any job. The only problem (and it's more of an annoyance) I have with Stanley is that some great ideas don't make it past the first or second line supervisors. When most of the employees want something to happen, and the upper management is unaware, then that's not a good way to run a company, but other than that, ther are no problems!

Advice to Management

Give your employees more chances to talk to you about what they would like to see in the company (benefits, changes, etc.). We are a VAST resource that should not be ignored. And just because some of our supervisors don't like an idea, that doesn't mean that upper management wouldn't like it. Give us an outlet!

5. Stanley was good, CGI is like the Borg

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Springfield, VA

I worked at Stanley Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

When I first hired on, Stanley Associates was a spirited, small, employee-owned company, so the shareholders all were in favor of upper management (the "elephants of the 7th floor") providing excellent benefits for the employees. There was a definite pecking order within the company (*everybody* compared employee numbers to determine seniority), but underneath the cockiness and bantam-rooster personality was a work ethos of always getting the job done.

Then came the buy-up by CGI, and the personality which permeated every layer from the CEO on down was displaced by CGI's uniformity even more quickly than CGI's logo displaced the Stanley anchor.

Cons

Not long after the acquisition by CGI, the Stanley upper management exited the company. I don't think they were quite forced out, but the CGI management culture has been a stark contrast to the days when we worked hard, played hard, and earned our pay by making our customers happy.

Pinache and humor lost out to the grey flannel suit which demanded compliance. Now the company requires mid-level managers to be trained in CGI's corporate culture, and there are strict guidelines on things as mundane as office and cubicle size (I know of one office where walls were moved prior to move-in so that "oversized" offices were the proper size for the occupant's position). The benefits which once were "Caddilac plan" quality are now about par.

Bottomline, CGI attempted to transition what had been Stanley Associates from a highly competent defense contractor into a more socially acceptable -- and less personable -- healthcare information systems company, and healthcare.gov typified the results.

Advice to Management

One size does not fit all. Grow a soul and do things with conviction and character. Indulge the instinct to micro-manage less and encourage folks with expertise to be entrepreneurial in their niche.

6. Ideal Acquisiiton?

Former Employee - Assistant Program Manager in North Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Assistant Program Manager in North Charleston, SC

I worked at Stanley Associates (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stanley Associates is a fantastic company, well-balanced between DoD IT and non-IT programs, when they win contracts.

Cons

Loyalty to employees mixed. When the strategic objectives change which have negative impacts on employees, the employees are the last to know.

Advice to Management

Beware of the dead-sea effect! Most would rather want top management transparent and honest with its workforce. Colleges offer life-long benefits to its graduates, this company not. But that is why colleges are known for time-enduring scholars and mentors.

7. Stanley Associates

Former Employee - Associate Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Stanley Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Traveling company
    Great co workers

Cons

Company stopped caring about it's employees

8. Great Company, Great Benefits!

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Martinsburg, WV
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Martinsburg, WV

I worked at Stanley Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stanley Associates was a great company to work for. Unfortunately they lost the contract at my work and I had to switch companies.

Cons

As they got larger and eventually bought by another company, they lost some of the great benefits that I enjoyed about them the most.

9. Great place to work, depending on your project

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Stanley Associates

Pros

Great benefit package and 401K, tight knit group, lots of friendly people. Recognize all federal holiday's(no floating)

Cons

Bad leave/sick time package, new hourly employee's only get 5 day's a year, then your 2nd-5th you only get 10 day's.

Advice to Management

Change the leave/sick time package....it's awful

10. A great place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Stanley Associates

Pros

Work life balance at Stanley is exceptional

Cons

Limited interaction among different customer segments. Poor networking with other employees on different engagements

Advice to Management

Continue building out the corporate infrastructure to support the organization

11. A Great Place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Stanley Associates

Pros

One of the reasons was their motto" Work Hard, Play Hard!!

Cons

They sold us out to another company

RSS Feed </> Embed