www.stanleyblackanddecker.com

Updated October 27, 2014
2.5

Stanley Black & Decker CEO John F. Lundgren
John F. Lundgren

Pros
  • Great people to work with and an overall great place to work (in 9 reviews)

• Company seems to care about employees well being with a good work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be challenging and if economics do not support growth the potential for layoffs are real (in 9 reviews)

• long hours, particularly in finance, that spouses have complained and threatened divorce (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing company!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker

Pros

Good work/life balance, lots of challenge and possibilities to rise up

Cons

Outdated facilities and the VPN gets clogged up during snow days.

It's a company not a family regardless of the rhetoric

Former Employee - III Letters
    Former Employee - III Letters

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great CSR's to work with, great benefits, decent pay, opportunities for "personal" growth & development, some positions have flexible hours due to job description and for the most part, reasonable RSM's.

Cons

Senior management has a tendency to over promise and set unrealistic goals, middle managers attempt to enforce these goals with constant badgering and endless conference calls using outdated and useless "buzz" words & phrases. They can't seem to decide if they want to employee direct employees or use independent rep agencies. They don't manage talent & experience because they are too busy trying to manage customers & territories.

Manage your talent better. Instead of cutting people loose because of territorial changes attempt to place them in another position or territory. Some positions are technical in nature and should not be tied to a sales team or managed by RSM's & VP's. Find out from your customers what they really need in order to sell your products instead of leaving it to marketing. Put more money into product development and less into promotions. Don't panic. Give things times to develop.

Great experience!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Had a great experience with my internship. I worked on projects and the staff really made me feel a part of the team!

Cons

I don't have any cons.

Good Management - Professional and conduct business with integrity, but expect high performance standards

Former Employee - Manager, Global Supply Chain Management in Farmington, CT
    Former Employee - Manager, Global Supply Chain Management in Farmington, CT

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fair compensation and career development. Leadership opportunity is available within the organization and upward mobility for performance.

Cons

Work-life balance can be challenging and if economics do not support growth the potential for layoffs are real.

Make the commitment to the employees for longevity and you'll keep your Top Performers. Look strongly at cross business line promotion opportunities and maintaining the critical mass.

Tolerable workplace with Great Potential

Former Employee - AP Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - AP Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Quiet, friendly environment. Most of the workload was straight forward and easy after getting acclimated to the ERP systems. Management is there and listens, helps with job aids... weekly meetings help curb any issues. For me, great location and within reasonable driving distance.

Cons

1. Better ticket/job distribution. Currently use Outlook inboxes, which ups the changes of errors and misplacing of e-mails. Would be better to use something like Service Now, rather than Outlook. Invoices were messy, duplicated.
    2. With as many ERPs and somewhat confusing communication format between buyer, vendors, and management, there needs to be more emphasis on production and training. 2 days of training for both temporary and direct hires.
    3. Hire more people for teams to be assigned tickets and be specific on expectations and career growth. More enthusiasm. Don't let temporary workers linger if you do not plan to hire them after 3 months. (By then, both the worker and company should know if it's going to be a good fit).
    4. More praise and better perks.

I would say training up front for two or three days over ERPs, expectations, career growth. More concise way of handling temporary employees' or better yet, just go with direct hiring and create better teams and focus on progress/rewards. Get rid of the current Outlook Inbox for routing invoices and go with a ticket system and assign to associates, instead of by alpha.

Serious concerns...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

$$$, overall a horrible place

Cons

no strategy...no work life balance

people will continue jumping ship if something doesnt change

Stanley Black & Decker

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It is a stable company over-all and will continue to grow globally as they aquire numerous companies monthly. When you figure out that this is not the place to make a career, at least you'll have this big name on your resume.

Cons

This company is not IT oriented and as an IT employee you are treated that way. If you care about your work and helping users then get used to headaches from upper management controlling the way you operate without having any idea of what you do. You are separated from any decisions that impact your career path or that of IT. Your opinions, suggestions and overall value are only a whisper far away in the dark.

When it was just Black & Decker, although it was still not IT oriented, at least it felt like one cohesive company and that your hard work and diligence could make a difference. As an IT employee with Stanley Black & Decker you will feel like a square peg being shoved through a round hole by people who don't even bother to remember your name.

Grow a spine when dealing with upper management. We listen to SO MANY managers that complain about upper management and "I know this isn't the best way, but it's the way they want us to do it" but never do anything to attempt to improve the culture.

Opportunity

Current Employee - Business Analyst in New Britain, CT
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in New Britain, CT

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent company to work for. They continue to invest in their employees and employee training.
    I have been there for just under 5 years and had the opportunity to move up 3 times. I am looking forward to a long term relationship with this great employer. As long you do your job and some more, you get recognized and will move up the ranks.

Cons

Unwritten rules of expectations, it is not communicated but yet expected that you devote yourself to this job. You are expected to and held to high standards. Its not really a Con, but it may be if you are unable to read between the lines.

Larger monetary rewards.

A good stable company.

Current Employee - Planner Buyer in Danbury, CT
    Current Employee - Planner Buyer in Danbury, CT

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I feel it is a good place to work very busy.

Cons

The job isn't really offering me a path to advance in salary.

Pay higher salaries offer bonus’s.

Short stay

Former Employee - Architectural Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Architectural Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker (less than an year)

Pros

They are a great organization for promotion

Cons

Some divisions have their act together and some do not.

Don't leave it up to your agents to hire top level talent. Employ them direct.

Stanley Black & Decker Photos