Stanley Black & Decker

Stanley Black & Decker Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Stanley Black & Decker CEO John F. Lundgren

John F. Lundgren

Pros
  • Great people to work with and an overall great place to work(in 9 reviews)

• work environment Good work environment Good work environment Good work environment Good work environment(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, particularly in finance, that spouses have complained and threatened divorce(in 15 reviews)

• upper management is willing to sacrifice an employee to save face(in 9 reviews)

It is ok

ProsSome of the people are nice

ConsNeed to shoe more respect to your works and your teammate.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training to upper management

A lot of experience, little money

ProsYou are given a large amount of responsbility. You'll have an opportunity to manage large portfolios and work with key accounts.

ConsYou are severely under paid for the amount of work you'll be asked to do. In addition to being overworked, you will likely be substantially underpaid. From what I know, it is better to come here after already being satisfied with your salary.

Challenging and rewarding...

Director, IT (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsVery much run by the numbers with clear targets and expectations at the business unit level. Well defined processes and aligned leadership that supports objectives down the line. Great people to work with and an overall great place to work.

ConsNone. I would work there again and recommend working there to my friends.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unhappy employees, Bad management, corrupt decision making.

ProsThere are none really outside the fact your employed.

ConsAbsolutely no room for growth. Promotions are decided upon who is liked the most or who knows more dirty secrets about their boss rather than performance. Told one thing about company performance when just a few minutes of research disproves their claims. Decisions are made that make no sense at all, always later to be changed or repealed altogether.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves and hire people more competent to run a multi-billion dollar company.

Stay away!!

ProsIn good times: international travel, perks like free keurig and bottle water, lots of opportunity for personal development. Free tools. HR tries to boost morale with work/life balance programs, but mostly fails. Good experience to get a better (higher paying) job elsewhere.

ConsBenefits being cut. Low pay compared to elsewhere. No room to grow your career.

Brands continue to be #1 but they take away all the perks to save money- no more travel, must drink yellow tap water, and NO merit increases. Promotions are not based on performance and they continue to fire good people. Manager have no idea how to lead. 3 types: 1) power hungry maniacs who try to take all the credit and pass their work as your own 2) paranoid micro-mangers 3) the yellers who think screaming is a good motivation tool. Most of the talented people continue to leave, many going to Apple.

I was read all these horrible review before and didnt believe them until I started. They are true. Stay away unless you cant find anything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees, they are your biggest asset. You can't continue to neglect them and get the excellent level of performance you are getting. You can't let finance run the company above all else. Fund new programs that mantain market share and keep our core users happy.

Poor work/life balance, bad leadership, no raises, career killer.

Senior Finance Manager (Former Employee)

ProsNot too many reasons to work here except it's a paying job with health benefits and tool discounts.

ConsMy experience has been this is a very stressful place with many people leaving or firing, really bad intrusive homelife, and deceptive leadership. Poor leadership with bad direction that make so many mistakes and correct financial losses with annual layoffs and low raises. Most people keep a contantly updated resume. I suspect HR know people are trapped since there's not too many big companies in the area and moving is not always an option. Career Opportunities - no career development with no idea for promotion, Compensation&Benefits-poor raises, Work/Life Balance - none, long hours, very homelife intrusive, Sr Management- not transparent, CYA leadership with layoffs to cover mistakes, Cuture/values- cut throat, finger pointing, no diversity, and money rules. If I had to do over again I would never have joined SBD.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your people development, stop layoffs, and provide better leadership.

STAY AWAY. So many people firing, quitting, and not taking job offers forced me to leave.

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) East Greenwich, RI

ProsNot too many good things to say....
    Recognized brand name.
    Free tools for Christmas and Demo leftovers
    Lots of overproduction and old products at liquidation tent sale
    Lavish lunch/dinner meetings

ConsLow pay and confusing sales direction from leaders. Too much bureaucracy with analysis paralysis ...always playing catchup and losing margin. Our sales plan was based on "hope" since we are uncompetitive. It's hard to sell a lot of our products with little advertising funds. On some products we can't even sell at our cost. Plus, our innovation is poor, more like we make small cosmetic changes where we really celebrate and I can't sell it. We are more of a fast follower. With the last year's firing it was harder to get anything done or met the sales goal. Seems like the B&D merger destroyed our company, things were much better then. So many people firing, quitting, and not taking job offers forced me to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop buying companies and fix the core brands and customers sales.

Large Diverse Company, Lots of opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Towson, MD

ProsOver all this is a great place to work, from the IT side. Lots of opportunities, challenges, and room for advancement Management seems to be very open about what's going on.
    The employees are some of the best in their areas.

ConsBureaucracy, extreme controllership. While that's great for Auditors and Beancounters (love your Finance!), it makes 5 minutes change take a week.

Lots of opportunities and challenges. Some days feel like you will never get done.

Cost saving initiatives. Taking away employer provided cell phones for non-management employees, makes on-call positions a little annoying. Either use your own cell phone or home phone, minor but annoying.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, you guys are doing really well. We love the communication, that's great.

Watching out for shareholders is fine, but don't forget your employees.

Really bad environment with bad leaders.

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Towson, MD

ProsGood Brand name and benefits.

ConsTotally agree with all the recent negative criticism for the past 2 years! This is a bad place to work and the managers at the above VP titles do not value their employees. It's true there's no performance based promotions, no future career plan, long hours, lots of stress, lots of confusion, and little understanding of future plans. Seems like when we do get company news everything is great but the analyst and wall street is telling a different story. Our product design seems to be behind most others but the presentations say we are #1 in everything. We could never believe what we were told. Lot of downsizing since 2010 merger. Top guys seem to downsize at least two times a year ...usually whenever sales decline pinches their bonus, lots of talk about manager bonuses. Lots of wasted spending. They make fired staff feel like criminals by marching off the company property despite past rating or contributions. So many cases like this since merger with top people let go despite high performance ratings and contributions.

I was not even a top manager but the deception, uncertainty, long hours, and stress was not worth the low pay and barely any increase. People above me and below VP had it much worse with longer hours, more stress, and not unhappy. If done again I would not have joined this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead all comments.

Worker

ProsNot to hot inside at times, stable, been there a long time.

ConsNever give out raises to the workers, the pay scale is about 5$ under any other place

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your ppl better. Before you lose them all. Unless your goal is to only have temps then your doing a good job.

Worked for Stanley Black & Decker? Contribute to the Community!