Stanley Black & Decker

Stanley Black & Decker Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Stanley Black & Decker CEO John F. Lundgren

John F. Lundgren

Pros
  • Great people to work with and an overall great place to work (in 9 reviews)

• work environment Good work environment Good work environment Good work environment Good work environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, particularly in finance, that spouses have complained and threatened divorce (in 15 reviews)

• upper management is willing to sacrifice an employee to save face (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Marketing

Market Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe culture, people and products make working at the company enjoyable. They offer and strive to have well rounded employees with experience in a number of different business units and positions. Individuals believe in the product and work toward a common goal, in most instances.

ConsBenefits and compensation lower than expected.

Challenging, but good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSteady schedule and great co-worker's

ConsToo much travel, staff was minimized which caused remaining staff to take on more territory with not enough financial incentives.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupply better incentives, maybe even company vehicles for staff, other than just upper management. The travel causes alot of wear and tear on personal vehiclesbeing used by employees. And the little incentive given will not pay for any damages or repairs while on the job.

It is ok

ProsSome of the people are nice

ConsNeed to shoe more respect to your works and your teammate.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training to upper management

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A lot of experience, little money

ProsYou are given a large amount of responsbility. You'll have an opportunity to manage large portfolios and work with key accounts.

ConsYou are severely under paid for the amount of work you'll be asked to do. In addition to being overworked, you will likely be substantially underpaid. From what I know, it is better to come here after already being satisfied with your salary.

Poor Leadership that do not value people - used you up and spit you out. Lots of downsizing, high stress & low raises.

Market Manager (Current Employee)

ProsTools and stock at a discount. Lavish meetings, holiday parties, and lots of free food.
    Recognized brand ....for now as the sale prices keeps going up while features/benefits are eliminated, old used tools are better.

ConsPoor direction, too many upper leaders but no leadership. Staff instability, too many (every year) lay offs, high turnover, poor morale, poor treatment of people. Very underpaid for hours of work, Very overworked or told to leave. Payraise below inflation rate - need to negotiate high starting salary. Few opportunities for advancement and growth. promotions based on who is liked or how much dirty secrets are known. I have to hired high performers for no reason, see promotions not based on merit, watch wasteful high spending, game our bonus payouts, HR has too many problems to even begin thinking about career development, lately they seem to be spending time CYA and downsizing. I hated hired a new person to SBD b/c I didn't know if coming here would eventually wreck their life like so many others who have been hired and let go with no explaination. So so so many people have devastating effect while being here and after being downsized. All while we have ineffficient spending and maxing out our bonuses, where's the fairness.

My overall impression is that when SBD have used you up, they spit them out. I read these reviews but thought it was only the unhappy people commenting and only realized the problems when I started. Other new hires and interns can't believe the dysfunction. I am amazed with how bad this company treats its people. Can't understand how anyone can still rate above 2 stars with strong negative ones of poor leadership, low pay, overworked, low raises, and promotion favoristism.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut leaders who can lead with honesty. Downsize only for long term needs and not short term bonus gaming. Simply making people work harder by cutting staff and micromanaging will limit its growth.

Challenging and rewarding...

Director, IT (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsVery much run by the numbers with clear targets and expectations at the business unit level. Well defined processes and aligned leadership that supports objectives down the line. Great people to work with and an overall great place to work.

ConsNone. I would work there again and recommend working there to my friends.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course.

Simply, not a good company. Do not compromise integrity for a job. I regret it. Keeping searching.

FP&A Manager (Former Employee) Towson, MD

ProsDiscount tools tent sales every year. Free tool at Christmas

ConsPoor direction, too many leaders but no leadership. Instability, frequent lay offs, high turnover, poor morale, poor treatment of associates.
    -Few opportunities for advancement/growth. You are a number, and when they have used you up, they spit you out with firing waves 1-2 times per year.
    -No work/life balance. None.
    -Attrition rate is extremely high. The talented leave fast. The very talented leave like they are breaking out of a bank! I have never seen so many people quit like this at a company.
    -No Professional development.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees. Just give a resemblance that you care about them. The culture must change

Unhappy employees, Bad management, corrupt decision making.

ProsThere are none really outside the fact your employed.

ConsAbsolutely no room for growth. Promotions are decided upon who is liked the most or who knows more dirty secrets about their boss rather than performance. Told one thing about company performance when just a few minutes of research disproves their claims. Decisions are made that make no sense at all, always later to be changed or repealed altogether.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves and hire people more competent to run a multi-billion dollar company.

Stay away!!

ProsIn good times: international travel, perks like free keurig and bottle water, lots of opportunity for personal development. Free tools. HR tries to boost morale with work/life balance programs, but mostly fails. Good experience to get a better (higher paying) job elsewhere.

ConsBenefits being cut. Low pay compared to elsewhere. No room to grow your career.

Brands continue to be #1 but they take away all the perks to save money- no more travel, must drink yellow tap water, and NO merit increases. Promotions are not based on performance and they continue to fire good people. Manager have no idea how to lead. 3 types: 1) power hungry maniacs who try to take all the credit and pass their work as your own 2) paranoid micro-mangers 3) the yellers who think screaming is a good motivation tool. Most of the talented people continue to leave, many going to Apple.

I was read all these horrible review before and didnt believe them until I started. They are true. Stay away unless you cant find anything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees, they are your biggest asset. You can't continue to neglect them and get the excellent level of performance you are getting. You can't let finance run the company above all else. Fund new programs that mantain market share and keep our core users happy.

Poor work/life balance, bad leadership, no raises, career killer.

Senior Finance Manager (Former Employee)

ProsNot too many reasons to work here except it's a paying job with health benefits and tool discounts.

ConsMy experience has been this is a very stressful place with many people leaving or firing, really bad intrusive homelife, and deceptive leadership. Poor leadership with bad direction that make so many mistakes and correct financial losses with annual layoffs and low raises. Most people keep a contantly updated resume. I suspect HR know people are trapped since there's not too many big companies in the area and moving is not always an option. Career Opportunities - no career development with no idea for promotion, Compensation&Benefits-poor raises, Work/Life Balance - none, long hours, very homelife intrusive, Sr Management- not transparent, CYA leadership with layoffs to cover mistakes, Cuture/values- cut throat, finger pointing, no diversity, and money rules. If I had to do over again I would never have joined SBD.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your people development, stop layoffs, and provide better leadership.

Worked for Stanley Black & Decker? Contribute to the Community!