Stanley Security Solutions

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
Brett Bontrager

Pros
  • This company does have good benefits (in 4 reviews)

• Good pay, strong brand recognition (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Customer service is not an objective for upper management and they do not have a clue as to how to provide it (in 3 reviews)

• He told me he wished he could tell them to buzz off, but since this was early 2009 and he had so little experience, he could find nothing else (in 2 reviews)

Company in turmoil

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Stanley Security Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-- Worked with a lot of great people.
    -- Compensation was very competitive - The benefits from a large corporation are terrific!
    -- Very "flat" organization - interaction with upper management and executives is available very quickly.
    -- Offered a bit of flex time in hours worked. Zero pressure to work overtime and by 5:05 PM, it's a ghost town at all levels.

Cons

-- Due to a major change in how the company takes its product to market in 2012, sales have been down ever since. When sales lag year after year, you can expect....
    -- Major layoffs in the fall of 2013 and again in the fall of 2014, with a change in a number of senior executives to go with that one. Wouldn't be shocked to see another round. Long-time employees say this is a common issue, with a standing policy that a single missed quarter forces changes.
    -- Onboarding and training is virtually non-existent. Expect a very abrupt hand off of duties. This unorganized "process" is unofficially referred to as "The Stanley Way." The phrase is not used in a complimentary manner.

Advice to Management

More of this. Less of that.

All in all, despite the negatives, I can't give a totally negative review as I enjoyed most of my time. One simply needs to understand what they're signing up for with a company that has done layoffs each of the past two years, including new hires.

Don't Let The Name Fool You.....it's NOT your dad's tool supplier.

Former Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Nashville, TN

I worked at Stanley Security Solutions

Pros

To learn as much as I could about the electronic security industry and move on to a REAL employer.

Cons

Salary was insulting, training was non-existent, management was a joke, "select" individuals were allowed to disrespect teammates and most leadership couldn't be trusted.

Advice to Management

Find a new parent, CEO, President, etc. because what you have now is embarrassing.

Worst place I ever worked at

Current Employee - Material in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Material in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Stanley Security Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits for me during the nine years I was employed there were equitable.

I was able to see first hand how a global business should not be run.

I no longer work there

Cons

After 20 plus years working at the same industry leading company it was acquired and then driven into the dirt. Numerous offices closed and hundreds of good long term caring employees let go for no good reason.
    Upper management is clueless and changes the company focus every 30/60/90 days [pick one]. Napoleonic environment between management and workers is not conducive to growth. Nepotism and favoritism are rampant and hinder any type of team or business building. Middle and lower management are unempowered and helpless even if they have the skills to be successful. Customer service is non existent. The Copernican theory that everything revolves around Indy hampers daily business and any type of growth effort. Its amazing how many people I have seen leave such a "great" company and seek employment elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Realize that you work for the customers not the other way around. Treat each one like gold and you wont need as much sales force to keep finding new customers. The workers are the main part of the team that get you to the path above.

Used to be grteat

Former Employee - Territory Account Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Territory Account Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Stanley Security Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There really are not to many since they bought Best Access. They have decent benefits, name recognition, and a bigger footprint

Cons

Numerous cons, They cannot seem to figure out what they want to be, a security integrator or a manufacture? Seemed like every time they made an acquisition they changed management

SMS Senior Analyst

Current Employee - SMS Senior Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - SMS Senior Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Stanley Security Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are employees on the ground level who know their job well and is respectful. Indianapolis is laid back.

Cons

Blame culture, too many cliques at all levels of the organization, there is no training or process for anything. After moving to the area, I found out that this company has a reputation of treating employees bad. No wonder competition is kicking them to the curb. Anyways, I have accepted a great offer at another company.

Advice to Management

Culture needs to change. Allow employees to own and care about their jobs rather than command, control and blame. I was at this company for about 6 months.

Monitoring Specialist

Former Employee - Monitoring Specialist in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Monitoring Specialist in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Stanley Security Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Branch manager helpful and willing to adjust hours when needed. Some of the customers were grateful when contacted about an alarm. The benefits were okay, medical and vision not so great, but excellent dental.

Cons

Northern branch was paid considerably more money per hour for the same job title. Each supervisor had different rules about unresolved signals, understaffed often and rarely prepared when natural disasters occurred even though the news had been forecasting for days. Employees would put in the days they wanted off the first week in January because only one person/shift could take the day off, so that made it difficult to take a vacation day if something not planned 12 months in advanced came up. The plus side so many young employees took too many sick days in the first part of the year it made it easy to take time off at the end of the year because they ran out of vacation days by June.

Advice to Management

Make a guide/ instruction/ training manual that everybody follows. The departments need to work together so the monitoring center doesn't take all the heat caused by sales, service and data entry. Monitoring seems like uncaring bullies because their hands are tied and unable to make the simple changes that the customer is asking because it's 'not our department.' To the customer it just sounds like the buck being passed. Hire more CAMs and data entry to help the customers, before they go else where like so many have already done and when they cancel their accounts, make the account non active so police and fire aren't being dispatched making Stanley look even more incompetent.

8. Collections Specialist

Current Employee - Collections Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Collections Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Stanley Security Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great employees to work with, great benefits, decent pay. Cafeteria on site taken out of your pay.

Cons

Direct manager was horrible when I was there, but I've heard that has changed...good choice!

Advice to Management

Sounds like you already took care of it. Have no idea how new mgmt is though.

It started out well but has gone down hill since

I worked at Stanley Security Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Our customers are the Best part of our company

Cons

Business model & salaries are always changing. Never have a clear picture of job description.

10. Started off well but slowly going south

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Stanley Security Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning atmosphere, co-workers who are very knowledgeable, flexible work times, parent company is very reputed and holds large value when put on ones resume, discounted rates on power tools

Cons

Almost zero recognition of employees talent, projects almost never get completed on time, sometimes the work given to you has absolutely no relationship to what your job title says, no raise in spite of showing results, the company is focused on improving numbers but doesn't care about employees.

Advice to Management

Think about the people who make the company move forward. Being in upper management and throwing huge parties while not giving a raise to the people who work hours together doesn't help the company save money.

11. Transitions

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Stanley Security Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Pay, Great Co-Workers, Good Benefits, and Nice Discounts

Cons

A lot of changes that we thru and the training was not the greatest.

RSS Feed </> Embed