Stantec Reviews

Reset
2.9
Stantec President and CEO Bob Gomes
Bob Gomes

Pros
  • I hear they have a good benefits package (don't know for certain, as i was ineligible as an intern) (in 16 reviews)

• Lots of great people to work with (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The "PC structure" (profit center) of the company (in 8 reviews)

• Publicly traded company, so mass layoff occur when work isn't being won (in 6 reviews)

1. Pros and Cons

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Stantec

Pros

Good work environment. Knowledgeable people to interact with for guidance.

Cons

Shifting priorities. Inconsistent titles. Micro-managers.

2. Depends on the office

Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Stantec

Pros

I was lucky enough to work in an office that was very close knit and supportive. Had great work-life balance.

Cons

A lot more red tape to go through for simple tasks such as getting a program installed on your computer or obtaining new equipment.

3. Very professional staff.

I worked at Stantec

Pros

Very professional environment and very motivated staff. The work load seems to balance well amongst employees, and there seems to be plenty of checks and balances in the business process. Overall a very innovative and functional company.

Cons

The culture from corporate seems to not assimilate as well in surrounding branch offices. Most of the branches limit communication and dissemination of information to each other where ever possible. Seems a little too competitive internally at times.

5. Overall a positive intern experience

I worked at Stantec

Pros

Culture was very welcoming, and I had room to grow and learn as an intern towards the end of my stay.

Cons

The first few months I was only given busy work, even though I had other skills to offer.

6. Interior designer

Current Employee - CAD Designer in Bayamon, PR
    Current Employee - CAD Designer in Bayamon, PR

I have been working at Stantec (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked in the office of Puerto Rico and suits me quickly to the system of work.

Cons

In the office of Puerto Rico economic reasons.

Project Control Specialist

Former Employee - Project Control Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Project Control Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Stantec (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good, salary is good (for some people).

Cons

Inexperienced supervisors and some inexperienced managers.

Advice to Management

Be aware that good people are leaving because of management.

8. Good Benefits, Good A/E Firm

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Stantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company provides good benefits, relatively good work/life balance, and works to keep employees happy

Cons

As with any A/E firm, hours dictated by project budgets which can cause heavy flux in work week hours - may work 40 or may work closer to 80 when a project deadline is nearing. Not a company issue, mainly an industry issue.

9. Quiet Stumbling Giant Eating Almost Anything It Happens Upon

Current Employee - Architect in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Architect in Washington, DC

I have been working at Stantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good for interns.
    Nine-to-five honeymoon period after acquisition.
    Great for lateral moves by region or country.

Cons

Half-hearted, symbolic, surface gestures are costumed for a wink-wink "we're all in this together" management strategy right out of Office Space.

A make-believe COMMUNITY smoke-screen is cultivated for media and stockholder consumption and protection.

The company seems to be still figuring it out, which is strange for a company of 15,000+.

For a public company in the acquisitions phase, it is not a surprise that those at the top have lost their moral compasses and any sense of irony. For many, the acquisition and resulting bigness isn't even about the money but becomes a game or ego challenge, about prestige. It certainly isn't good for the 99%.

Public corporations have many faces: public, employee, shareholder, insider. For disciplines that involve such passion as architecture requires, these make for strange bedfellows.

Advice to Management

Real people are affected and their lives changed. Places are affected. Communities are affected. Environments are affected. If We Do What Is Right then please prove it by putting your morals where your slogans are.

10. Stantec is an OK engineering consulting company

Current Employee - Mechanical Designer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Mechanical Designer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Stantec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty good benefits
    Easy going atmosphere
    Friendly employees and managers
    Temporary travel or permanent transfer to other offices is possible
    Bureaucracy is minimal as each office is basically an independent firm.

Cons

Despite being a large company, there is a surprising amount of instability because Stantec is essentially a large number of small consulting firms that occasionally share workers, resources, and policies. This may stem from Stantec growing almost exclusively by purchasing smaller firms.
    My salary was low.
    Promises are often made with little follow up.

Advice to Management

Communication between managers and employees is decent, but follow up on this communication is poor.
    The company is very poorly integrated, and each office is an island. Workers are shared between offices, but the business practices are often very different and resources and information are not consistent between offices.

Stantec Acquisition

I worked at Stantec full-time

Pros

Good benefits, training, IT support staff. Stantec puts high value on supporting communities and charities. High-profile engineering and architectural projects. Emphasis on safety. CEO Bob Gomes is a visionary.

Cons

Stantec is a large Canadian-based company that acquires many architectural, engineering and related firms each year. From what I saw, Stantec's integration of the acquired companies in the US is disorganized, rounds of layoffs soon follow, and the remaining employes of the acquired companies are demoralized. Although Stantec brands itself as a company that "puts people first", I didn't see or experience that in practice. No one in senior management seemed to care that there was a lack of work-life balance and people were expected to work long hours on a regular basis. In my experience, everyone was expected to cater to some very difficult managers, even when their demands and expectations were unreasonable or not good for business. Stantec's IT systems were surprisingly outdated, especially given the vast size of the company.

Advice to Management

Slow down acquisitions until the whole integration process can be vastly improved. Stop tolerating the behavior of difficult managers and walk the talk in "putting people first."

RSS Feed </> Embed