Stantec

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stantec President and CEO Bob Gomes

Bob Gomes

Pros:
  • "They have good benefits and an employee stock ownership program"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Its a large company so there are options for moving around t he different offices or as they call them, "profit centers""
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work sharing is limited because of the insecure nature of the firm and profit center design"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Stantec's senior management is very good at producing propaganda geared to make its employees believe they are a top tier employer"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great benefits, seemed to keep employees on a good career path.

I worked at Stantec

ProsGreat benefits package, good management.

ConsStantec bought the company I worked for, the transition was difficult and we all felt like second rate citizens.

I really learn a lot I always done lab testing and I was given a chance to do clerical duties.

Quality Control Tech/Call Center (Former Employee)
New Orleans, LA

I worked at Stantec full-time for less than a year

ProsI worked to meet the quoter and noone was standing over my shoulder.

ConsThe only down side was it didn't last longer enough.

It's true, you're just a number. But you are also afforded diversity.

Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Stantec full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLarge diversity in project scopes and disciplines.
Great benefits and company stock matching.
I was lucky enough to have fair and successful work sharing across various offices.
Large potential for climbing the corporate ladder, but at what cost?

ConsAll that matters is that your timesheet is entered on Friday's and that you maintain high utilization or the hammer comes down.
Profit center structure encourages competition of the wrong kind, within the company.
Too much personnel turnover.
Entire company vision seems to be achieved through acquisitions and less organic growth. This lends to the high turnover rate.
Top heavy, too much management and not enough production staff.
I felt under-valued for the type of work completed.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost employees I knew who left, left because you drove them into the ground and you kept on pushing. If you don't have the personnel locally to work on projects, don't submit proposals stating that you have the personnel just so you can win the big buck contracts.

I enjoyed the culture but felt under appreciated.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Lombard, IL

I have been working at Stantec full-time for more than a year

ProsGood learning experience right out of college. Friendly office experience.

ConsNot competitive salary-wise, at least at the bottom. Poor annual review process. No raises or even cost of living raises. Forced employees to use their vacation days the week after Christmas for 2 years in a row.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive US branches more holidays to be comparable to what the Canada branches get.

Working at Stantec you become a number with a set profit you must achieve .

Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Stantec full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNot a positive thing to say !!!!

ConsManagement is driven by profits only. They will totally disrepect you if you are not producing the numbers that they expect. The only way to advance seems to be by working 60+ hours and getting paid for 40 and not making any issues. People who complain are systematically replaced.

Advice to Senior Managementeverything that goes around, comes around.

You will be assimilated - resistance is futile

Louisville, KY

I worked at Stantec full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThey don't lay anyone off when the acquisition takes place, and will compensate for current benefits they don't offer with an equitable pay raise.

ConsAfter about a year, which is just about enough time for them to completely destroy whatever culture your firm used to have, the layoffs start. After inflicting severe morale deflation to your office environment, the layoffs just intensify. In the case of my firm, Stantec turned a once thriving, professional family-type atmosphere where you mattered as a person to upper management into a cold, depressing, stressful, impersonal workplace where you're just an employee ID number generating profit for stockholders. Loyal long-time employees will find themselves suddenly subject to the whims of impersonal bean counters thousands of miles away, possibly in a foreign country.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat can you say to the Borg?

A wonderful company, great people, great workplace!

Civil Designer (Former Employee)
Rochelle Park, NJ

I worked at Stantec full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSteady work flow, good management, lots of talent and mentors available. Good benefits.

ConsThere can be a lot of desk work depending on the position. It might not be ideal for someone that likes a lot of field work.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

if your company is bought out by Stantec, immediately begin looking for a different job

Designer In the Buildings Group (Current Employee)

I have been working at Stantec full-time for more than a year

Prosgood 401k, it's worthwhile to participate in the employee stock purchasing

ConsEverything changes as soon as your office is bought by Stantec. If you are in the USA, you are second rate to Canada. The stress rate is through the roof once acquired and it will never go down. The business model is only based on buying out offices for their assets and all support on winning new work is stripped from your office. This pins everyone against each other. Offices compete violently with each other in the same market, there is no organization to their "stanet" for communication or effective collaboration with other offices. Stantec also downgrades your internet speed to a level that makes it impossible to work remotely or with other offices. When our office was bought out, our billable rate nearly tripled and the clients we served were not thrilled to pay difference. This put us employees in a position where we were doing work and not documenting it so our numbers still looked right on the time sheets sent to Canada. Everyone is trapped- you either work double and only document 1/2 of your work to keep your workload and clients so you don't lose your job, or you are honest on your timesheet and you lose your clients for now being too expensive.

This is all around bad news.

Advice to Senior Managementpick one field and stay with it. This company should not be buying architecture firms. Their pay / fee schedule is not in line with the building industry.

Professions are a now just another Wall Street commodity to leverage

I worked at Stantec full-time

ProsSome good people.
Pay check.
Potential work on large projects
Good 401K

ConsMotto should be buy private firms, purge them, and increase amount of revenue that gets sent to a PO box in the middle of the country. As a regular employee you are become an asset that can be replaced or see your hours reduced on a whim often with little relation to your true value. Employee stress levels are through the roof at newly acquired firms and stay that way after Stantec takes over. Trust little company info coming from your managers because they are likely getting the same happy talk from their bosses. Work sharing is limited because of the insecure nature of the firm and profit center design. Management is more interested in growing and consolidating new acquisitions to maintain or increase the stock price than in project execution, employee development, or team building despite what the marketing spin says.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen it is all about the next acquisition to increase market share and presence, and increasing gross revenues, the professions suffer a slow and inevitable death.

Overall good company

Engineer (Former Employee)
Rocklin, CA

I worked at Stantec full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay is at or above average for the engineering industry. They have good benefits and an employee stock ownership program. The company will provide you the opportunity to work on large engineering projects.

ConsYour career may stagnate. In all fairness, this is probably more a result of the economy rather than the company. However, organic growth instead of the current practice of acquiring companies could be used to develop geographical regions. This might provide internal talent with an opportunity to develop their career and move up in the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementDay to day profit center and office management is good. At the corporate level, pursue organic growth and use internal talent to develop that growth.

Worked for Stantec? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stantec reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Stantec CEO Bob Gomes. All 105 reviews posted anonymously by Stantec employees.