Stantec

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stantec President and CEO Bob Gomes

Bob Gomes

Pros
  • They have good benefits and an employee stock ownership program (in 12 reviews)

• Its a large company so there are options for moving around t he different offices or as they call them, "profit centers" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work sharing is limited because of the insecure nature of the firm and profit center design (in 5 reviews)

• Stantec's senior management is very good at producing propaganda geared to make its employees believe they are a top tier employer (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Not too bad.

Structural Designer (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits and overall security is great. The company is always growing and is constantly finding new areas to expand into. Financially the company is secure.

ConsSome company disconnect from the top. Many of the profit centers are left to make tough decisions in regard to personnel. The company at times has too much of a macro view.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on becoming more transparent and allowing the everyday employee to better understand the management team and the basis of the decisions that are made.

Just a number! Pay cap to positions. Hard work unrecognized and undervalued.

Project Administrator (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsVery good project management tools and strategies. Excellent corporate resources and employee tools. Strong business/accounting strategies.

ConsEmployees are just a number. Hard work is not recognized. Local managers authority is undervalued after acquisition. Employees are not invested in for tuition or promotions unless new management feels they can promote employee. Hardwork is not enough, employee must brown-nose new managers to prove worth.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above. Hard work needs to be encouraged and regonized. Give local managers authority to give promotions. Invest in your employees education and seminars. There is too much push back. I worked extremely hard covering for several employees and did it more accurately and efficient...my efforts and ideas called for a promotion and raise. My ideas and efficientcy improved my department and other staff used my techniques. My concerns of no career advancement and cap on my position pay was discussed several times calling for management meetings. Nothing came of this meetings and I was told management needs a reason to promote me and they need to be 'calling my name' in order to prove to upper management my worth. That statement felt as if Stantec undervalued all my hard work and requires me to brown-nose management. Some local staff in my department were more worried about keeping their position than mentoring staff. Upper management should have realised this and re-evaluated if that position was needed. By right sizing the department the hardworking talented employees will have room for advancement and Stantec will retain the talented staff. I found Stantec's losses talented staff to competitors in my area. Working in a competetors office my first impression is the number of talented staff and how much I can learn from them. This was very noticable. Stantec needs to improve by hiring talented people in all departments including support roles. Too many entry level staff.

It's a job.

ProsStantec very often hires college level students when others aren't which is great for people just starting out their career. Opportunity to get interesting jobs if you are willing to move for an extended period of time.

ConsCompetitive internal structure makes it difficult to participate in multi-office/multi-discipline work when everything is about the bottom line. No promotions, or career advancement that I can see. Your interests are not really taken into account unless they align exacty with department objectives.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great benefits, seemed to keep employees on a good career path.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits package, good management.

ConsStantec bought the company I worked for, the transition was difficult and we all felt like second rate citizens.

I really learn a lot I always done lab testing and I was given a chance to do clerical duties.

Quality Control Tech/Call Center (Former Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsI worked to meet the quoter and noone was standing over my shoulder.

ConsThe only down side was it didn't last longer enough.

It's true, you're just a number. But you are also afforded diversity.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsLarge diversity in project scopes and disciplines.
    Great benefits and company stock matching.
    I was lucky enough to have fair and successful work sharing across various offices.
    Large potential for climbing the corporate ladder, but at what cost?

ConsAll that matters is that your timesheet is entered on Friday's and that you maintain high utilization or the hammer comes down.
    Profit center structure encourages competition of the wrong kind, within the company.
    Too much personnel turnover.
    Entire company vision seems to be achieved through acquisitions and less organic growth. This lends to the high turnover rate.
    Top heavy, too much management and not enough production staff.
    I felt under-valued for the type of work completed.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost employees I knew who left, left because you drove them into the ground and you kept on pushing. If you don't have the personnel locally to work on projects, don't submit proposals stating that you have the personnel just so you can win the big buck contracts.

I enjoyed the culture but felt under appreciated.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Lombard, IL

ProsGood learning experience right out of college. Friendly office experience.

ConsNot competitive salary-wise, at least at the bottom. Poor annual review process. No raises or even cost of living raises. Forced employees to use their vacation days the week after Christmas for 2 years in a row.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive US branches more holidays to be comparable to what the Canada branches get.

Working at Stantec you become a number with a set profit you must achieve .

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsNot a positive thing to say !!!!

ConsManagement is driven by profits only. They will totally disrepect you if you are not producing the numbers that they expect. The only way to advance seems to be by working 60+ hours and getting paid for 40 and not making any issues. People who complain are systematically replaced.

Advice to Senior Managementeverything that goes around, comes around.

A wonderful company, great people, great workplace!

Civil Designer (Former Employee) Rochelle Park, NJ

ProsSteady work flow, good management, lots of talent and mentors available. Good benefits.

ConsThere can be a lot of desk work depending on the position. It might not be ideal for someone that likes a lot of field work.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

You will be assimilated - resistance is futile

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsThey don't lay anyone off when the acquisition takes place, and will compensate for current benefits they don't offer with an equitable pay raise.

ConsAfter about a year, which is just about enough time for them to completely destroy whatever culture your firm used to have, the layoffs start. After inflicting severe morale deflation to your office environment, the layoffs just intensify. In the case of my firm, Stantec turned a once thriving, professional family-type atmosphere where you mattered as a person to upper management into a cold, depressing, stressful, impersonal workplace where you're just an employee ID number generating profit for stockholders. Loyal long-time employees will find themselves suddenly subject to the whims of impersonal bean counters thousands of miles away, possibly in a foreign country.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat can you say to the Borg?

Worked for Stantec? Contribute to the Community!