Stantec Reviews

Reset
2.8
Stantec President and CEO Bob Gomes
Bob Gomes

Pros
  • I hear they have a good benefits package (don't know for certain, as i was ineligible as an intern) (in 16 reviews)

• Lots of great people to work with (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The "PC structure" (profit center) of the company (in 8 reviews)

• Publicly traded company, so mass layoff occur when work isn't being won (in 6 reviews)

1. Unexpected Pluses and Minuses

Current Employee - Process Specialist, Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Process Specialist, Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Stantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Since the company is an aggregate of acquisitions, there is a lot of intra-office pride and friendly inter-office competition outside of corporate financials, e.g. health/fitness and sustainability. Stantec does a decent job integrating its acquisitions to feel loyal to the company, although many of the policies are difficult to find or understand. At 14,000 employees (as of Summer 2015), Stantec has varied resources in both operations and support roles. Stantec also has a $1 million research & development budget, for projects whose sponsors apply for funding. Stantec, being ISO 9001 certified, has a strong commitment and set of policies for project quality and procedures, resulting in polished work processes that positively impact the ultimate work products.

Cons

The nature of a big company is that it may be slow to process administrative tasks. What is special about this company is that the org. chart is extremely confusing. There are many technical administrative titles, and each Business Center (financial operating unit) reports to both a Geographic leadership structure and a Business/Practice/Sector leadership structure. While the nature of A&E consulting is low margins, an impersonal demand for profits and focus on minutiae often discourage employees who put forth their best efforts.

Advice to Management

Enable more transparency in structure, and more importance on personal attention to employees.

2. Accountants

I worked at Stantec full-time

Pros

Well run company. Organized A&E firm with too much emphasis on the E.

Cons

It's all about hours and billing. On the A side the accountants wanted add services, change order anything to make the books work. Never mind the client

Advice to Management

Practice your core values!!

3. Pros and Cons

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Stantec

Pros

Good work environment. Knowledgeable people to interact with for guidance.

Cons

Shifting priorities. Inconsistent titles. Micro-managers.

5. Depends on the office

Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Stantec

Pros

I was lucky enough to work in an office that was very close knit and supportive. Had great work-life balance.

Cons

A lot more red tape to go through for simple tasks such as getting a program installed on your computer or obtaining new equipment.

6. Very professional staff.

I worked at Stantec

Pros

Very professional environment and very motivated staff. The work load seems to balance well amongst employees, and there seems to be plenty of checks and balances in the business process. Overall a very innovative and functional company.

Cons

The culture from corporate seems to not assimilate as well in surrounding branch offices. Most of the branches limit communication and dissemination of information to each other where ever possible. Seems a little too competitive internally at times.

7. Overall a positive intern experience

I worked at Stantec

Pros

Culture was very welcoming, and I had room to grow and learn as an intern towards the end of my stay.

Cons

The first few months I was only given busy work, even though I had other skills to offer.

8. Interior designer

Current Employee - CAD Designer in Bayamon, PR
    Current Employee - CAD Designer in Bayamon, PR

I have been working at Stantec (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked in the office of Puerto Rico and suits me quickly to the system of work.

Cons

In the office of Puerto Rico economic reasons.

Quiet Stumbling Giant Eating Almost Anything It Happens Upon

Current Employee - Architect in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Architect in Washington, DC

I have been working at Stantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good for interns. Nine-to-five honeymoon period after acquisition. Great for lateral moves by region or country.

Cons

Half-hearted, symbolic, surface gestures are costumed for a wink-wink "we're all in this together" management strategy right out of Office Space. A make-believe COMMUNITY smoke-screen is cultivated for media and stockholder consumption and protection. The company seems to be still figuring it out, which is strange for a company of 15,000+. For a public company in the acquisitions phase, it is not a surprise that those at the top have lost their moral compasses and any sense of irony. For many, the acquisition and resulting bigness isn't even about the money but becomes a game or ego challenge, about prestige. It certainly isn't good for the 99%. Public corporations have many faces: public, employee, shareholder, insider. For disciplines that involve such passion as architecture requires, these make for strange bedfellows.

Advice to Management

Real people are affected and their lives changed. Places are affected. Communities are affected. Environments are affected. If We Do What Is Right then please prove it by putting your morals where your slogans are.

Project Control Specialist

Former Employee - Project Control Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Project Control Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Stantec (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good, salary is good (for some people).

Cons

Inexperienced supervisors and some inexperienced managers.

Advice to Management

Be aware that good people are leaving because of management.

11. Good Benefits, Good A/E Firm

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Stantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company provides good benefits, relatively good work/life balance, and works to keep employees happy

Cons

As with any A/E firm, hours dictated by project budgets which can cause heavy flux in work week hours - may work 40 or may work closer to 80 when a project deadline is nearing. Not a company issue, mainly an industry issue.

RSS Feed </> Embed