Stantec Reviews

Reset
2.9
Stantec President and CEO Bob Gomes
Bob Gomes

Pros
  • I hear they have a good benefits package (don't know for certain, as i was ineligible as an intern) (in 16 reviews)

• Lots of great people to work with (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The "PC structure" (profit center) of the company (in 8 reviews)

• Publicly traded company, so mass layoff occur when work isn't being won (in 6 reviews)

A Review

Pros

-Good benefits package. -Good job for recent college graduates looking to make some decent money on a seasonal basis. -A wonderful learning experience for those who want to learn more about their own ethics, skills and career goals.

Cons

- The employee comes last, and some jobs are not as stable as they seem to be. Always be prepared for layoffs. -Again, the employee comes last. Those who may be among the best in their field may be treated with little or no respect, and the objective of management may be made very clear: to "take advantage of" employees' skills and use them while they can benefit the company. -Not necessarily a company for those looking to practice science. "Science" tasks have on occasion been delegated to persons with little to no training, and proper scientific investigation has been discouraged on some occasions. -Depending on management, trainings and other career development opportunities may be discouraged for individual employees. -Working independently is valued and encouraged, but the down side is that supervisors and management may have no idea of an employee's accomplishments or value; employee accomplishments may even be ignored. -Performance reviews may not be taken seriously. -Office confidentiality has the potential to be non-existent. -Sexual harassment and discrimination against female scientists has occurred.

Advice to Management

Practicing science first rather than fixing or finding mistakes later is always less expensive, and looks better in a court of law. Employees should not be treated like commodities, but should be respected for their knowledge and skills, allowed in actual practice to develop their career and contribute their work to the betterment of the company's image.

Leadership

Former Employee - Architecture in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Architecture in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Nice office space and nice staff, at least before they all quit.

Cons

Highly dysfunctional office structure, a lot of politics and lack of well defined leadership.

Advice to Management

Higher leaders who understand the first principals of managing a highly productive office.

This company is in disarray, would strongly recommend looking elsewhere more so if female or minority. Look at profile.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Pros

A few people who are left considered "lowly" by management (PM's on down).

Cons

Pretty much everything at this company is negative. People are treated very poorly. Due to high layoffs (and those who just leave) most people above staff level, and some at are afraid to share information. It is the most back stabbing unethical office I have ever worked. If you truly interview here ask to talk to people in the office or just walk around the tension is very thick. Ask about the turnover rate or how long anyone has been there. You will be hard pressed to find someone over 1yr....

Advice to Management

Go back to Canada!

Dissatisfied

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Pros

Location of office is close to freeway

Cons

Managment lacks leadership skills and mentorship. Lack of opportunity to grow, lack of promotions, and adequate pay or raises for staff and technicians. Office is run by males, very little opportunity for women to grow. No female project managers in office. Lack of promotion within.

Loved my company until we were bought by Stantec, now im trying to find a new job and get away from Scamtec

Current Employee - Senior Environmental Scientist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Environmental Scientist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Stantec full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Most of the people are great

Cons

-Required to join a fitness tracking program to get reduced insurance rates. Problem I have is that the reduced rates are twice as high as when i was with my old company which was purchased by Stantec. -Only 5 sick days, doesnt work if you have kids. Im use to 10. -The utilization requirements are ridiculus! I'm management and expected to have 93% utilizations. -Safety program is a joke.

Advice to Management

-Treat your employee's better! When you buy companies don't make them feel like their the red-headed step-child of the company.

I wish they hadn't bought my company

Former Employee - Architect in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Architect in Washington, DC

I worked at Stantec full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They are big. Wait, is that a pro?

Cons

When it comes to design and architecture, they have the worst organization format you can think of. They are publicly traded so it's all about growing and getting bigger, fatter, more inefficient, less effective, more expensive. And, clients DO notice. After the merge we lost all our loyal clients, we got too big for them. And not big enough to fetch bigger clients. 70% of the staff has left since the merger. Before then we hadn't lost more than 10% in 5 years. I still remember how HR landed after the merger telling us that "Nothing will change. Staff is our more important asset". It isn't. Within 2 years you couldn't find a happy face in the office.

Advice to Management

Tell the truth to the staff (you are 1 of 12,000 now. Stuff will change, not always for the best). Listen to the local offices. Free them from your bureaucracy. DO NOT fire managers or principals.

WORST OFFICE anybody could work in! Regional leadership is a wreck!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Pros

1. A handful of smart, hardworking, junior-level staff that work dilligently despite being severely underpaid with little to no chance of growth and development. 2. The architecture department.

Cons

If you love being discouraged from working hard and being reprimanded and punished for going above and beyond, then this is the perfect place for you. Otherwise, stay away! If you are ambitious, intelligent, and hardworking, this is seen as a threat to the completely incompetent management, and you will be forced out whether by choice or not. The lack of professionalism in this office is unbelievable for a company of this size. Do not expect your voice to be heard here; do not expect anyone to value hard work and intellect. This place is an utter disgrace compared to the rest of the local consulting community. The other reviews for this office are spot on; listen to the numbers!

Advice to Management

Think about what is best for the future of the organization and not just the current state. If you want the company to succeed, you need to invest in the future and stop worrying about your oversized paycheck. Most importantly, put others above yourself since all the people below you are keeping the place afloat.

if your company is bought out by Stantec, immediately begin looking for a different job

Current Employee - Designer In the Buildings Group
    Current Employee - Designer In the Buildings Group

I have been working at Stantec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good 401k, it's worthwhile to participate in the employee stock purchasing

Cons

Everything changes as soon as your office is bought by Stantec. If you are in the USA, you are second rate to Canada. The stress rate is through the roof once acquired and it will never go down. The business model is only based on buying out offices for their assets and all support on winning new work is stripped from your office. This pins everyone against each other. Offices compete violently with each other in the same market, there is no organization to their "stanet" for communication or effective collaboration with other offices. Stantec also downgrades your internet speed to a level that makes it impossible to work remotely or with other offices. When our office was bought out, our billable rate nearly tripled and the clients we served were not thrilled to pay difference. This put us employees in a position where we were doing work and not documenting it so our numbers still looked right on the time sheets sent to Canada. Everyone is trapped- you either work double and only document 1/2 of your work to keep your workload and clients so you don't lose your job, or you are honest on your timesheet and you lose your clients for now being too expensive. This is all around bad news.

Advice to Management

pick one field and stay with it. This company should not be buying architecture firms. Their pay / fee schedule is not in line with the building industry.

Working at Stantec you become a number with a set profit you must achieve .

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Stantec full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not a positive thing to say !!!!

Cons

Management is driven by profits only. They will totally disrepect you if you are not producing the numbers that they expect. The only way to advance seems to be by working 60+ hours and getting paid for 40 and not making any issues. People who complain are systematically replaced.

Advice to Management

everything that goes around, comes around.

Unethical

I worked at Stantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good and we got free coffee. Pay rates are marginally acceptable but only if you are desperate and can't get a job with a good company

Cons

Pale, stale and male. Absolutely no leadership, all they do is talk, talk, talk and nothing gets done. They are all too busy protecting their own little kingdoms to do the right thing for the company.They have what they call a "balanced leadership" model, the dumbest thing I've ever seen. The practice leader thinks he's in charge, the regional leader thinks he's in charge (and there are multiple levels below both of these that think the same thing). No one...and I mean no one knows who is in charge and things that should take 15 minutes to decide linger for years. If you are looking for a place where there is no leadership, bad pay, no training, payroll that ignores laws and a company that truly does not care one bit about the employees then Stantec is your place.

Advice to Management

None....they are incapable of acting on it.

RSS Feed </> Embed