Stantec

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stantec President and CEO Bob Gomes

Bob Gomes

Pros
  • They have good benefits and an employee stock ownership program (in 12 reviews)

• Its a large company so there are options for moving around t he different offices or as they call them, "profit centers" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work sharing is limited because of the insecure nature of the firm and profit center design (in 5 reviews)

• Stantec's senior management is very good at producing propaganda geared to make its employees believe they are a top tier employer (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Working at Stantec you become a number with a set profit you must achieve .

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsNot a positive thing to say !!!!

ConsManagement is driven by profits only. They will totally disrepect you if you are not producing the numbers that they expect. The only way to advance seems to be by working 60+ hours and getting paid for 40 and not making any issues. People who complain are systematically replaced.

Advice to Senior Managementeverything that goes around, comes around.

if your company is bought out by Stantec, immediately begin looking for a different job

Designer In the Buildings Group (Current Employee)

Prosgood 401k, it's worthwhile to participate in the employee stock purchasing

ConsEverything changes as soon as your office is bought by Stantec. If you are in the USA, you are second rate to Canada. The stress rate is through the roof once acquired and it will never go down. The business model is only based on buying out offices for their assets and all support on winning new work is stripped from your office. This pins everyone against each other. Offices compete violently with each other in the same market, there is no organization to their "stanet" for communication or effective collaboration with other offices. Stantec also downgrades your internet speed to a level that makes it impossible to work remotely or with other offices. When our office was bought out, our billable rate nearly tripled and the clients we served were not thrilled to pay difference. This put us employees in a position where we were doing work and not documenting it so our numbers still looked right on the time sheets sent to Canada. Everyone is trapped- you either work double and only document 1/2 of your work to keep your workload and clients so you don't lose your job, or you are honest on your timesheet and you lose your clients for now being too expensive.

This is all around bad news.

Advice to Senior Managementpick one field and stay with it. This company should not be buying architecture firms. Their pay / fee schedule is not in line with the building industry.

All about the bottom line

Senior Designer (Former Employee) Kamloops, BC (Canada)

ProsVariety of project types and sizes

ConsDriven by the the bottom line
    Work-sharing doesn't really work - offices fight for revenue
    Different offices compete for the same work
    Young managers are put in over their heads
    They simply don't care about their people

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat upper management says to the offices doesn't matter.
    People Center? not a chance!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

WORST OFFICE anybody could work in! Regional leadership is a wreck!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

Pros1. A handful of smart, hardworking, junior-level staff that work dilligently despite being severely underpaid with little to no chance of growth and development. 2. The architecture department.

ConsIf you love being discouraged from working hard and being reprimanded and punished for going above and beyond, then this is the perfect place for you. Otherwise, stay away! If you are ambitious, intelligent, and hardworking, this is seen as a threat to the completely incompetent management, and you will be forced out whether by choice or not. The lack of professionalism in this office is unbelievable for a company of this size. Do not expect your voice to be heard here; do not expect anyone to value hard work and intellect. This place is an utter disgrace compared to the rest of the local consulting community. The other reviews for this office are spot on; listen to the numbers!

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about what is best for the future of the organization and not just the current state. If you want the company to succeed, you need to invest in the future and stop worrying about your oversized paycheck. Most importantly, put others above yourself since all the people below you are keeping the place afloat.

I wish they hadn't bought my company

Architect (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThey are big. Wait, is that a pro?

ConsWhen it comes to design and architecture, they have the worst organization format you can think of. They are publicly traded so it's all about growing and getting bigger, fatter, more inefficient, less effective, more expensive. And, clients DO notice. After the merge we lost all our loyal clients, we got too big for them. And not big enough to fetch bigger clients. 70% of the staff has left since the merger. Before then we hadn't lost more than 10% in 5 years.
    I still remember how HR landed after the merger telling us that "Nothing will change. Staff is our more important asset". It isn't. Within 2 years you couldn't find a happy face in the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell the truth to the staff (you are 1 of 12,000 now. Stuff will change, not always for the best). Listen to the local offices. Free them from your bureaucracy.
    DO NOT fire managers or principals.

As one co-worker put it "One company, infinite egos"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOK salary, good benefits
    Big company
    Maybe good if you're an engineer

ConsAs one co-worker put it, it's more like "One company, infinite egos". I was brought in as a intermediate/senior environmental specialist and was put onto projects I had no experience with, given no real training, and kept on being told incomplete information about projects I was given to work on, making me look the fool in front of clients. After becoming one of the top employees in three years at my previous company, I was "let go" after less than a year. A demotivating company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet people to work within their skillsets, and train them into senior roles

Former Associate & Senior Staff Member in British Columbia - 15 years with the firm

Associate (Former Employee) Kelowna, BC (Canada)

Pros- diversity of business/income/sector/regional cash flows
    - excellent IT and marketing infrastructure

ConsThis firm has tried an "experiment" in British Columbia to move young people with no experience into senior leadership, engineering and marketing positions. Sadly, this experiment will be called a failure as soon as someone wakes up to the fact that the staff contingent in BC has dropped from 850 people to probably well under 600 in just two years and continues to drop at an alarming rate. Firings, layoffs and self-terminations continue to hurt the bottom line and this firm has no money to attract new talent as a result, therefore it has a long ways to go down before it goes up.

Stantec has a compartmentalized "Profit Centre" system that could work as long as labour that is performed for other profit centres was compensated at the full rate instead of only 2x nominal salary. Many profit centres have learned to exploit this dangerous nuance of the internal accounting system, and frequently get other offices to work on their projects without fully compensating them for the work; basically gypping another office or group of people out of approximately 30% of their revenue. This type of accounting system fully contravenes the concept of work sharing and "one team infinite solutions" marketing BS that is fed to clients. The reality is that you're on your own, and very little work sharing will ever occur without changes to the accounting system, and proper "traffic cops" that take people to task on their abuses of the accounting system and work sharing.

Any attempts to engage local, regional, senior and executive team leadership to help them understand the dynamics of operating and growing a design firm are met with a closed door. I definitely hit a glass ceiling in my job.

There is also a growing problem of ladder climbers that have cozied their way into senior positions without any experience to actually work in those positions.

All in all, in one year's time I went from believing that my next 15 to 18 years would be spent happily doing my job for a solid company that I could retire with, to coming to work every day wondering what stupid and reckless decision management would make that day; and an anxiety disorder from the unbearable workload that resulting from mass firings and layoffs and angry clients. You guessed it - I left of my own volition to save my own skin.

My recommendation is do not work for this company until all regional managers and local managers are dismissed and new people are brought in with sound personnel, marketing, business, engineering and management skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you're finally down to under 400 staff in BC, you'll finally get it that your experiment with young people into senior positions has failed, and along with it nearly every employee with 15+ years experience has left and morphed into other super firms that you'll never be able to compete against.

When your owners sell.... Get your resume out - time to move on

ProsWorker bees are friendly. My old office folks are nice.
    My commute was easy
    New collaborative tolols coming.
    Pros are very thin

ConsPay is below national norms
    They expect to loose 20% of staff every year
    Your management sells put and are told "nothing wil change" and they are naive or vulnerable enough to believe it
    Then the layoffs and pay cuts come.
    Then the structure changes so design is second or third fiddle to profits
    The stock market is short selling this stock because the business model of buying other firms cutting past the bone and then buying the next one doesn't work
    It is run by a bully who the other leaders are afraid of (not the nice Canadian CEO)
    They buy you for what you bring to them. It is a one way street. Our leaders are bailing out now that their agreements let them.
    Time to get the resume out. Thank goodness the market is picking up

Advice to Senior ManagementStop buying companies and integrate what you have. Merging is not about launching change but the implementation of true integration.

Dissatisfied

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsLocation of office is close to freeway

ConsManagment lacks leadership skills and mentorship. Lack of opportunity to grow, lack of promotions, and adequate pay or raises for staff and technicians. Office is run by males, very little opportunity for women to grow. No female project managers in office. Lack of promotion within.

This company is in disarray, would strongly recommend looking elsewhere more so if female or minority. Look at profile.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsA few people who are left considered "lowly" by management (PM's on down).

ConsPretty much everything at this company is negative. People are treated very poorly. Due to high layoffs (and those who just leave) most people above staff level, and some at are afraid to share information. It is the most back stabbing unethical office I have ever worked. If you truly interview here ask to talk to people in the office or just walk around the tension is very thick. Ask about the turnover rate or how long anyone has been there. You will be hard pressed to find someone over 1yr....

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to Canada!

Worked for Stantec? Contribute to the Community!