Stantec Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
3.2

Stantec President and CEO Bob Gomes
Bob Gomes

Pros
  • They have good benefits and an employee stock ownership program (in 12 reviews)

• Its a large company so there are options for moving around t he different offices or as they call them, "profit centers" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work sharing is limited because of the insecure nature of the firm and profit center design (in 5 reviews)

• Stantec's senior management is very good at producing propaganda geared to make its employees believe they are a top tier employer (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Growth more important than the individual

I worked at Stantec full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Goal-oriented. Strong vision for the company's future. Benefits are good. I enjoyed working with the local people.

Cons

Recent branding "I create community" is ignored when it comes to the people and the community who work for them. Top tier management does not know what's going on with the day-to-day projects and the needs of their employees. There's a lack of advancement and if someone leaves the company, their role is often absorbed, leaving those left with more responsibilities that often don't match their job description.

Pay more attention to your support staff.

Acquisitions and profit are more valuable than employees.

I worked at Stantec full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stantec has a competitive benefits package and offers good 401k matching. Heavy investment in technology for productivity.

Cons

Stantec has been acquiring 4 - 6 companies per year for the past several years. Each acquisition results in reorganization to find places for top management from the acquired firms. This makes advancement nearly impossible. Profit is king. If the numbers aren't good at the end of the month, plan on being laid off. Salaried employees hired through acquisition receive salary/benefits packages based on a 40 hour week, but are frequently coerced into working 50 - 60 hours to meet deadlines without bonuses or additional compensation. If new managers hired through acquisition are not interested in existing staff, support is minimal, resulting in dissolution of entire teams and abandonment of market sector.

Focus on being the best, not the biggest. $1M+ bonus to the CEO while employees receive miniscule or no annual raises does not go unnoticed.

good place to work

I have been working at Stantec

Pros

great co-workers, stability, good work life balance

Cons

communication issues, career growth limited

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not impressed during 4-month contract at Stantec

Former Employee - Electrical Drafter  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Electrical Drafter in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Stantec as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Regular meetings. Fun employee events.

Cons

Tight deadlines sometimes but generally not much to do. Sometimes so boring

Poor management. Lack of communications

civil site design engineer

Current Employee - Civil Engineer
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer

I have been working at Stantec full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

tons of different projects, rapid growth

Cons

a few long evenings per month to get everything done

Not too bad.

Former Employee - Structural Designer
    Former Employee - Structural Designer

I worked at Stantec full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The benefits and overall security is great. The company is always growing and is constantly finding new areas to expand into. Financially the company is secure.

Cons

Some company disconnect from the top. Many of the profit centers are left to make tough decisions in regard to personnel. The company at times has too much of a macro view.

Continue to focus on becoming more transparent and allowing the everyday employee to better understand the management team and the basis of the decisions that are made.

Just a number! Pay cap to positions. Hard work unrecognized and undervalued.

Former Employee - Project Administrator  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Project Administrator in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Stantec full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very good project management tools and strategies. Excellent corporate resources and employee tools. Strong business/accounting strategies.

Cons

Employees are just a number. Hard work is not recognized. Local managers authority is undervalued after acquisition. Employees are not invested in for tuition or promotions unless new management feels they can promote employee. Hardwork is not enough, employee must brown-nose new managers to prove worth.

See above. Hard work needs to be encouraged and regonized. Give local managers authority to give promotions. Invest in your employees education and seminars. There is too much push back. I worked extremely hard covering for several employees and did it more accurately and efficient...my efforts and ideas called for a promotion and raise. My ideas and efficientcy improved my department and other staff used my techniques. My concerns of no career advancement and cap on my position pay was discussed several times calling for management meetings. Nothing came of this meetings and I was told management needs a reason to promote me and they need to be 'calling my name' in order to prove to upper management my worth. That statement felt as if Stantec undervalued all my hard work and requires me to brown-nose management. Some local staff in my department were more worried about keeping their position than mentoring staff. Upper management should have realised this and re-evaluated if that position was needed. By right sizing the department the hardworking talented employees will have room for advancement and Stantec will retain the talented staff. I found Stantec's losses talented staff to competitors in my area. Working in a competetors office my first impression is the number of talented staff and how much I can learn from them. This was very noticable. Stantec needs to improve by hiring talented people in all departments including support roles. Too many entry level staff.

The 2 faces of Stantec Calgary

Current Employee - Pipelines  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Pipelines in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Stantec full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best thing about this place is the quarry park location in south calgary, at least i dont need to drive dt

Cons

Unfriendly co-workers (cimarron), no standards, drafting department is run by an idiot, i could go on and on. This place turns my stomach

Do as urprise audit on the quarry park office and watch peolpes eyes glaze over.

It's a job.

I have been working at Stantec full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stantec very often hires college level students when others aren't which is great for people just starting out their career. Opportunity to get interesting jobs if you are willing to move for an extended period of time.

Cons

Competitive internal structure makes it difficult to participate in multi-office/multi-discipline work when everything is about the bottom line. No promotions, or career advancement that I can see. Your interests are not really taken into account unless they align exacty with department objectives.

Great benefits, seemed to keep employees on a good career path.

I worked at Stantec

Pros

Great benefits package, good management.

Cons

Stantec bought the company I worked for, the transition was difficult and we all felt like second rate citizens.

Worked for Stantec? Contribute to the Community!