Stantec

Updated December 11, 2014
3.1

Stantec President and CEO Bob Gomes
Bob Gomes

Pros
  • I hear they have a good benefits package (don't know for certain, as i was ineligible as an intern) (in 16 reviews)

• Large company great people always busy (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The "PC structure" (profit center) of the company (in 8 reviews)

• Publicly traded company, so mass layoff occur when work isn't being won (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Acquisitions and profit are more valuable than employees.

I worked at Stantec full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stantec has a competitive benefits package and offers good 401k matching. Heavy investment in technology for productivity.

Cons

Stantec has been acquiring 4 - 6 companies per year for the past several years. Each acquisition results in reorganization to find places for top management from the acquired firms. This makes advancement nearly impossible. Profit is king. If the numbers aren't good at the end of the month, plan on being laid off. Salaried employees hired through acquisition receive salary/benefits packages based on a 40 hour week, but are frequently coerced into working 50 - 60 hours to meet deadlines without bonuses or additional compensation. If new managers hired through acquisition are not interested in existing staff, support is minimal, resulting in dissolution of entire teams and abandonment of market sector.

Focus on being the best, not the biggest. $1M+ bonus to the CEO while employees receive miniscule or no annual raises does not go unnoticed.

good place to work

I have been working at Stantec

Pros

great co-workers, stability, good work life balance

Cons

communication issues, career growth limited

Intern

I have been working at Stantec as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Large company great people always busy

Cons

not sure yet first real job and still only an intern

Corporation, $$$, hire you when they need and fire you without reason

Former Employee - Civil Engineer
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer

I worked at Stantec full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Dealing with big projects if they let you, good benefit packages and good learning portal and you can transfer wherever you like

Cons

They will fire you if they like it and call it you are not a good fit for team

They give you engineer job but you have to work as draft man, labour and what so ever they like.

Politics in company is first word

Be honest with your staff from the beginning. If you need them for 6 months tell them right away.

Please look after your employees and please be honest to your clients, charging costs from one project to the more profitable one is not a good way to run your business and it is not ethical.

Not too bad.

Former Employee - Structural Designer
    Former Employee - Structural Designer

I worked at Stantec full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits and overall security is great. The company is always growing and is constantly finding new areas to expand into. Financially the company is secure.

Cons

Some company disconnect from the top. Many of the profit centers are left to make tough decisions in regard to personnel. The company at times has too much of a macro view.

Continue to focus on becoming more transparent and allowing the everyday employee to better understand the management team and the basis of the decisions that are made.

Bad management

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Stantec full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Corporate structure, good learning curve

Cons

Poor salary, completely employee abuse

Just a number! Pay cap to positions. Hard work unrecognized and undervalued.

Former Employee - Project Administrator in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Project Administrator in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Stantec full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good project management tools and strategies. Excellent corporate resources and employee tools. Strong business/accounting strategies.

Cons

Employees are just a number. Hard work is not recognized. Local managers authority is undervalued after acquisition. Employees are not invested in for tuition or promotions unless new management feels they can promote employee. Hardwork is not enough, employee must brown-nose new managers to prove worth.

See above. Hard work needs to be encouraged and regonized. Give local managers authority to give promotions. Invest in your employees education and seminars. There is too much push back. I worked extremely hard covering for several employees and did it more accurately and efficient...my efforts and ideas called for a promotion and raise. My ideas and efficientcy improved my department and other staff used my techniques. My concerns of no career advancement and cap on my position pay was discussed several times calling for management meetings. Nothing came of this meetings and I was told management needs a reason to promote me and they need to be 'calling my name' in order to prove to upper management my worth. That statement felt as if Stantec undervalued all my hard work and requires me to brown-nose management. Some local staff in my department were more worried about keeping their position than mentoring staff. Upper management should have realised this and re-evaluated if that position was needed. By right sizing the department the hardworking talented employees will have room for advancement and Stantec will retain the talented staff. I found Stantec's losses talented staff to competitors in my area. Working in a competetors office my first impression is the number of talented staff and how much I can learn from them. This was very noticable. Stantec needs to improve by hiring talented people in all departments including support roles. Too many entry level staff.

Corporate Un-organization

I have been working at Stantec full-time

Pros

Benefits are very good and have not gone way of pressures of federal suggested programs. Very strong growth and good company stock options

Cons

Un-organized Corporation. There is a lot of growth and leadership is focused on populating a very diluted organizational chart. It appears that acquisitions are with promises of leadership so some positions are "fabricated"

Less focus on leadership roles and more focus on developing staff skills

It's a job.

I have been working at Stantec full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stantec very often hires college level students when others aren't which is great for people just starting out their career. Opportunity to get interesting jobs if you are willing to move for an extended period of time.

Cons

Competitive internal structure makes it difficult to participate in multi-office/multi-discipline work when everything is about the bottom line. No promotions, or career advancement that I can see. Your interests are not really taken into account unless they align exacty with department objectives.

professional consulting in planning, engineering, architecture, interior design, landscape architecture, surveying, etc

Current Employee - Project Manager Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Manager Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Stantec full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are great, the holiday and vacation schedule is wonderful, great healthcare coverage and benefits. This is a growing company who cares about their employees.

Cons

Being such a large company, there are a lot of steps for everything you want to get done. You also work with a lot of different offices around the world and sometimes cultures clash, which can be frustrating for the workplace.