Stantec

Updated January 24, 2015
Updated January 24, 2015

Stantec President and CEO Bob Gomes
Bob Gomes

Pros
  • I hear they have a good benefits package (don't know for certain, as i was ineligible as an intern) (in 16 reviews)

• Large company great people always busy (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The "PC structure" (profit center) of the company (in 8 reviews)

• Publicly traded company, so mass layoff occur when work isn't being won (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Unethical

I worked at Stantec full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good and we got free coffee. Pay rates are marginally acceptable but only if you are desperate and can't get a job with a good company

Cons

Pale, stale and male. Absolutely no leadership, all they do is talk, talk, talk and nothing gets done. They are all too busy protecting their own little kingdoms to do the right thing for the company.They have what they call a "balanced leadership" model, the dumbest thing I've ever seen. The practice leader thinks he's in charge, the regional leader thinks he's in charge (and there are multiple levels below both of these that think the same thing). No one...and I mean no one knows who is in charge and things that should take 15 minutes to decide linger for years. If you are looking for a place where there is no leadership, bad pay, no training, payroll that ignores laws and a company that truly does not care one bit about the employees then Stantec is your place.

None....they are incapable of acting on it.

Manager

I worked at Stantec

Pros

People are likeable and mean well

Cons

Bogged down in bureaucracy. C suite is too far removed from what happens in individual offices.

I really learn a lot I always done lab testing and I was given a chance to do clerical duties.

Former Employee - Quality Control Tech/Call Center in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Quality Control Tech/Call Center in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Stantec full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked to meet the quoter and noone was standing over my shoulder.

Cons

The only down side was it didn't last longer enough.

Nice people

I worked at Stantec full-time

Pros

Friendly people, good work life balance

Cons

No growth if you're on the admin side. Company seems focused on acquisition.

It's true, you're just a number. But you are also afforded diversity.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Stantec full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large diversity in project scopes and disciplines.
    Great benefits and company stock matching.
    I was lucky enough to have fair and successful work sharing across various offices.
    Large potential for climbing the corporate ladder, but at what cost?

Cons

All that matters is that your timesheet is entered on Friday's and that you maintain high utilization or the hammer comes down.
    Profit center structure encourages competition of the wrong kind, within the company.
    Too much personnel turnover.
    Entire company vision seems to be achieved through acquisitions and less organic growth. This lends to the high turnover rate.
    Top heavy, too much management and not enough production staff.
    I felt under-valued for the type of work completed.

Most employees I knew who left, left because you drove them into the ground and you kept on pushing. If you don't have the personnel locally to work on projects, don't submit proposals stating that you have the personnel just so you can win the big buck contracts.

Mediocre

Former Employee - Field Geologist in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Field Geologist in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Stantec full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Had great benefits, a mostly comfortable environment and had morale boosting events. You did get some recognition for good work and you were not slave driven. You are left alone to take care of your work and are not micro managed. I really liked working there, but poor management and a bad economy lead to my dismissal.

Cons

Most office specific than company wide. My office was top heavy. More managers than field workers and the sad part is with a 4/1 PM/Field Geologst ratio, they can still only support one with work for over 4 years. People with highly unqualified skills doing jobs that require college degrees, but still gets paid as such. Friends and butt kissing definitely play a hand. If the office manager was not so concerned about traveling, fishing & golfing all the time, he could actually focus on drumming up more work than having fun all the time. My immediate manager was always too busy to provide work for me eventhough I was specifically hired to work on her big project. Work was often given those who did not need it or to friends of family to pay favors. Some of the people in the office were and still are superfluous.

I enjoyed the culture but felt under appreciated.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Stantec full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good learning experience right out of college. Friendly office experience.

Cons

Not competitive salary-wise, at least at the bottom. Poor annual review process. No raises or even cost of living raises. Forced employees to use their vacation days the week after Christmas for 2 years in a row.

Give US branches more holidays to be comparable to what the Canada branches get.

Working at Stantec you become a number with a set profit you must achieve .

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Stantec full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Not a positive thing to say !!!!

Cons

Management is driven by profits only. They will totally disrepect you if you are not producing the numbers that they expect. The only way to advance seems to be by working 60+ hours and getting paid for 40 and not making any issues. People who complain are systematically replaced.

everything that goes around, comes around.

A wonderful company, great people, great workplace!

Former Employee - Civil Designer in Rochelle Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Civil Designer in Rochelle Park, NJ

I worked at Stantec full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Steady work flow, good management, lots of talent and mentors available. Good benefits.

Cons

There can be a lot of desk work depending on the position. It might not be ideal for someone that likes a lot of field work.

Keep up the good work!

You will be assimilated - resistance is futile

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Stantec full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They don't lay anyone off when the acquisition takes place, and will compensate for current benefits they don't offer with an equitable pay raise.

Cons

After about a year, which is just about enough time for them to completely destroy whatever culture your firm used to have, the layoffs start. After inflicting severe morale deflation to your office environment, the layoffs just intensify. In the case of my firm, Stantec turned a once thriving, professional family-type atmosphere where you mattered as a person to upper management into a cold, depressing, stressful, impersonal workplace where you're just an employee ID number generating profit for stockholders. Loyal long-time employees will find themselves suddenly subject to the whims of impersonal bean counters thousands of miles away, possibly in a foreign country.

What can you say to the Borg?