Stanton Optical

Updated February 24, 2015
Updated February 24, 2015
2.0

Daniel Stanton

Decent if you're needing a job-- not a career.

Former Employee - Frame Specialist in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Frame Specialist in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Stanton Optical full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Training was thorough.
    -Potential to make a lot in commission if you work hard.
    -Usually will get time off if you ask for it
    -Fancy white coat.
    -Great hours. You'll never work before 9am or after 7pm.
    -I had a very helpful and understanding GM.

Cons

-Overwhelming at first
    -Customers are often VERY rude. I'm not easily rattled, but there were times I had to excuse myself to the break room to compose myself and/or stifle tears.
    -The corporate office is a joke. If you ever need them to do anything for you (adjust paycheck, handle any paperwork, normal HR things) it will take weeks if not months. It took them 3 months to finally set up my direct deposit (I submitted the paperwork for it about 4 times).
    -You get your commission for a sale when glasses are DISPENSED, not sold. sometimes that takes weeks.
    -(with myeyelab)OD techs need to be better versed in pricing and promotions, as customers frequently ask them.
    -Corporate is constantly changing the commission structure. The percent is too low, especially with the bargain promotions customers frequently take advantage of.
    -You'll make about $0.30 commission off a groupon sale
    -Weekly meetings (although they have changed the day before) are on Saturday mornings at 8:00.
    -I was consistently a top-tier salesperson and I never got a raise.

A great place to work

I have been working at Stanton Optical

Pros

A progressive company that encourages new ideas and really cares about their employees. I love the fact that they do not want to do it as it always has been done but rather thrives on growth and developing their associates to be successful

Cons

A 401K would be a nice perk to encourage longevity

Never lose site of the front line people that make this company a success

Stanton Optical Roseville was great!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, CA

I worked at Stanton Optical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people. I was really happy working with the rest of the crew at the Roseville store.

Cons

That I had to leave...I left the country.

None...Stanton Optical Roseville was very nice to me.

New and upcoming company!

I have been working at Stanton Optical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company allows you to grow as they grow and with this being the fastest growing optical company you can grow FAST! Work hard, follow directions and be coach able the opportunities are endless!

Cons

Be ready to commit alot of time. (Hardwork pays off)

Fast growing company

I have been working at Stanton Optical

Pros

Fast paced, commission is better than any other optical company.

Cons

Non that I am aware of

Stanton Optical is filled with nepotism and cronyism

Former Employee - Marketing in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Stanton Optical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I had the opportunity to provide some much needed education on the fundamentals of marketing such the difference between demographics vs target audiences, why marketing calendars exist, how it's against the law to supply me with a full list of patient's information in order to solicit them via email, and other basic things I learned during my entry-level experience. Your welcome.

Cons

The average adult will find that their core values and human compassion do not align with the dysfunctional culture at this company. Do not look for clear direction or strong leadership within this company's four walls. However, the Dilbert Principle continually resonates in every dirty, cockroach infested corner of that company.

Other cons:

The company segregates employees based on social class.

Employee benefits are unaffordable. Plus no 401k.

High (really high) turnover rates.

No training. Which would account for the numerous complaints found all over the internet like the Better Business Bureau, Ripoff Report, Yelp, or Call Kurtis Investigates. In fact, they have a few lawsuits for violating consumer laws in addition to multiple EEOC claims.

The kitchen is a septic pool of germs.

A majority of the positive reviews on Glassdoor were influenced by HR. Much like the customers reviews on Yelp, which are left by Stanton Optical employees.

I wasn't lying about the cockroach infestation.

1. Understand employees have basic expectations, like managers that posses intellect that surpasses that of a three-toed sloth.

2. Your business acumen isn't exemplified by walking around all day, aimlessly seeking fault in your employees.

3. Terminating employees by fabricating insubstantial claims regarding their performance and behavior to avoid increased insurance premiums caused by unemployment claims is illegal. It is also illegal to fire employees when they request to file a complaint against their supervisor for fabricating such claims as a retaliatory measure.

4. Pro-tip: Retail employees should note that the company will purposely reduce your hours to prompt your resignation (again, to avoid unemployment claims). I'm happy to inform you that can still qualify for unemployment if you quit as a result of the company drastically reducing your hours. However, check with your state office for details.

5. Stanton Optical is rife with nepotism and cronyism.

6. Another tip: Make sure you receive an offer in writing with salary clearly stated. The company has an unethical habit of offering you a higher salary, to only reduce your salary on your first day. At first, I thought it was an oversight, but I came to realize it was just another sleazy tactic deployed by HR and the CEO.

7. Credibility does not reside in your job title. It's demonstrated through leadership and professionalism.

And while the CEO (and a majority of management) will never understand good business principles or why people dislike them, here's a hint: you pawn off the company's shortfalls on employees in attempts to cover your gross ineptitude.

If you are considering a position with this company, only accept if it's your last and only resort.

See you in court…

I liked it at first but then i hated it

Former Employee - Lens Picker in Palm Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Lens Picker in Palm Springs, FL

I worked at Stanton Optical full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The best i got from there was making new friends and i love my friends till this day

Cons

Dealing with fake employees and fake managers

Do random drug tests, and also hire ppl that with want to understand u and not use you. This place will work u like a slave and won't give you a raise. if you ask for a raise they will find all the reasons to write you up.

Horrible company to work for!!!

I worked at Stanton Optical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people at the store - loved working with them. They're what made my job enjoyable.

Cons

Upper management could care less about you and staff. The only thing this company is interested in is making money - at their employees expense. They work you to death and then throw you away when you're no longer needed. Very dishonest business practices.

Horrible

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Stanton Optical full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely none-- stay away! You will get treated like crap and for crappy pay!

Cons

They make the Managers work for almost 70 hours a week without more pay.. They don't even give you time off to go the Dr. .. The higher ups sit on their fat butts and tell you what you are doing wrong.. But don't do anything to help you.

Stop treating people like dogs.

This company could be doing better....

Current Employee - Optometric Technician in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Optometric Technician in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Stanton Optical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Scheduling is pretty flexible, if you need days off its not too had to get...

Cons

This company seemed great when I first started, however it has continually been a downward spiral. I really enjoy working in this field but it was a bad experience and an injustice to the customers and staff what this company was doing. There is a complete disregard for employees and their satisfaction. Hours were cut during the "slow season" to one day a week for full time employees , glasses are constantly being made incorrectly because sales staff is not trained properly and lab doing mediocre work, equipment and computer system is always broken and no one ever comes to fix it, managers are not given enough money to buy enough supplies for the month , schedules are constantly double booked causing unhappy customers due to wait times, manager does anything to get customers in the door with false promises, technicians report to a manager that only comes to the office about 1--3 days a month, technicians are responsible for about 85% of the daily duties within the store of dispensing and adjusting glasses, working up patients for the doctors, greeting patients , advising patients of current promotions, making calls to patients, imputing spectacle remakes, managing appointments, contact lens training, checking insurance, taking payments for exams ....mostly everything is the technicians responsibility yet we do not make any commission while the sales team sit around and wait to make a sale plus we were constantly understaffed , 1 technician for the whole store with 2-3 sales associates and 1 doctor, There are always new products or procedures but there is no one knowledgeable enough to enforce them, there's no accountability for anything ,glasses are constantly made incorrectly by the same sales associates or lab members , call center double books the schedule making it impossible to keep appointments running on time , call center tells customers we take insurances that we have never taken and customers in end up extremely upset . This company is all about money, plenty of people work hard especially the doctor I was working with but many of the employees felt taken advantage of , no one is properly trained , store manager is unprofessional and totally clueless how to run the store, technicians should be paid more for the amount of responsibilities within the store...and there should be a technician manager .

Show more employee appreciation, employ people that are knowledgeable of their position and who really work hard to maintain it or at least make sure everyone is trained properly, have set procedures and rules for each store and make sure people are held accountable, have a manager or supervisor for each department of the store (technicians need a real manager, its too easy to put off important situations or questions because you have to email the manager instead of having someone onsite that is trained to solve problems), do not allow the call center to schedule appointments based on commission (of course your are going to end up with fake appointments and double booking leading to inconveniences at the store causing unhappy customers), have each store staffed properly , improperly trained staffed should not be training new staff, Doctors and technicians can not perform a proper exam in 15 minutes (dilation alone typically takes a minimum 20 minutes), treat your customers and staff better....