Staples

Staples Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Staples Chairman and CEO Ron Sargent

Ron Sargent

Pros
  • Good compensation provided and has a good work-life balance as well (in 42 reviews)

• This is a decent job if you are post-high school, or need something part-time while in college (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • When "back to school" season hits there is a lot more expected from the employees (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management had no idea what the needs of the stores needs were (in 68 reviews)

More Highlights
162 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Corporate HQ goes above and beyond for it's employee's

Consult Systems Engineering Ops (Current Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsGreen, Health conscious, new full functiong gym, large cafeteria, convenience store, great managers, intelligent peers, family first, work from home, great pay.

ConsI do not have many negative things to say about staples. The senior management pushes to make sure your happy if your putting effort into your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work..

Great place to work

Product Specialist (Current Employee) Framingham, MA

Prosflexible, benefits, great structure for management

Consbetter communication across divisions and feedback from corporate employees

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Staples FACILITY Supplies leads the marketplace

Facility Supplies Account Consultant (Current Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsStaples is no longer just an office supply company. When they bought the company I worked for several years ago, we dreaded being converted to office supplies. Couldn't have been further from the truth. As an industry-leading source of facility, breakroom/coffee, and safety supplies, selling the Staples proposition is easy. With the addition of staplesadvantage.com, we're practically unbeatable.

ConsPeople still think we're just an office supply super-source. We need to work on changing that perception.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate the couriers and expand the range of the fleet vehicles.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't get in there now.

Senior Transportation Analyst (Former Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsThe Leadership team and upper level management teams were really good in moving the company forward.

ConsThe middle level management in this company is kind of sucks. Growth is highly impossible these days. Company is not getting any where. Lot of political games inside. Not a good company for youngsters. Overall it gave me a bitter experience working with this company.

Too much work, too little pay! Crappy insurance.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Framingham, MA

Prossome great people work there

ConsHigh turn over. Jobs keep getting more and more work and no overtime to do what is needed or extra money. Managers make many employees feel like second class citizens. When you apply for a job HR can decide if they think you have any experience even if they have no clue what your job entails and your resume will never be seen. Horrid insurance, some DR's will not accept our insurance.

Advice to Senior Managementtake a heart check and find out what is really going on. Don't ask in team meetings because no one will speak up! Staples has a soul but no heart to their employees. I have see many layoffs right before Christmas.

NSP

Buyer (Former Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsCorporate headquarters. Work from home, there are 3000 employees, cafeteria, monotonous, good for someone who is middle aged or a family person, not for young person, some days I would walk past middle management or supervisors and they would not even say hello even tho I was looking them in the face, rude! There is a CYA attitude and blame is passed, senior management or department managers always changing to other openings.

ConsCubicle all day, 9hours on computer, passive aggressive emails, duties were constantly changing including hours I worked 830-5 then was switched to rotating hours starting between 9-11am and ending 530-8pm. Worked I a new program which never succeeded. I was a temp for what I was told was 90days and I worked 1year and was never offered full time benefits. When I spoke up I was advised to look for other jobs within the company, I applied for inside sales and I met all the qualifications and exceeded some. Sales required hs diploma and I have a bachelors. I was never offered an interview after the phone screen even tho I had experience in the company and higher education than some applicants. Ultimately being fed up with being contract employee caused my performance to suffer.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnce you are in a position and are needed it is hard to move, would be easier to leave the company then return in a higher role than move laterally or move up.

Long time employee review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsGood amenities, decent pay, good opportunities for advancement, great people to work with and good direction for company (finally, but might be two years after it would have been truly needed).

ConsBenefits are decent, but not inexpensive, Strategy / direction for future of Staples was a bit late in forthcoming and thousands lost their jobs as a result of multiple restructurings.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to C-level leaders - become more visible in internal office culture and become more active with recognition of effort. Executive leadership needs to be more innovative or be supplanted by newer, more forward thinking leaders.

Summer Internship

IT Intern (Current Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsGreat place to work and everyone is friendly

ConsThere is no cons at Staples

Corporate HQ Employee

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsThe people in my department are great and fun to work with. Lately, the summer time-off policy has been much better than in the past. Hopefully that is something they will continue.

ConsMoving up is a challenge. Even if they recognize the quality of work you're doing, there's a lot of red-tape involved to move up the ladder. The pay isn't great and neither are the raises. Most of the time, the people that don't deserve to move up, do. Health insurance benefits are a complete joke.

A great company of its sort, now working hard to turn around

Anonymous (Current Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsExecution and dedication of the leadership

ConsMiddle management as a group is too large
    Outsourcing saved money at the cost of hurting effectiveness and efficiency

Advice to Senior ManagementDeveloping and retaining talents at every level should be a criteria for the performance appraisal of any management staff. I have seen so many managers and directors who don't really care how his staff is doing, but unfortunately these managers and directors are doing pretty well themselves. This is ridiculous.

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!