Staples

Staples Chairman and CEO Ron Sargent

Ron Sargent

158 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Staples FACILITY Supplies leads the marketplace

Facility Supplies Account Consultant (Current Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsStaples is no longer just an office supply company. When they bought the company I worked for several years ago, we dreaded being converted to office supplies. Couldn't have been further from the truth. As an industry-leading source of facility, breakroom/coffee, and safety supplies, selling the Staples proposition is easy. With the addition of staplesadvantage.com, we're practically unbeatable.

ConsPeople still think we're just an office supply super-source. We need to work on changing that perception.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate the couriers and expand the range of the fleet vehicles.

Summer Internship

IT Intern (Current Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsGreat place to work and everyone is friendly

ConsThere is no cons at Staples

Long time employee review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsGood amenities, decent pay, good opportunities for advancement, great people to work with and good direction for company (finally, but might be two years after it would have been truly needed).

ConsBenefits are decent, but not inexpensive, Strategy / direction for future of Staples was a bit late in forthcoming and thousands lost their jobs as a result of multiple restructurings.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to C-level leaders - become more visible in internal office culture and become more active with recognition of effort. Executive leadership needs to be more innovative or be supplanted by newer, more forward thinking leaders.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not Bad

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Tewksbury, MA

ProsFlexible Hours
    Decent Pay
    Great First Job
    Good If You Like Retail
    Good If You Like Speaking With People
    Great management
    Love the people I work with

ConsVery few associates at one time often found myself on the phone and with 3-4 customers
    If you don't sell plans they make you feel bad

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to everyone equally not just top employees

NSP

Buyer (Former Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsCorporate headquarters. Work from home, there are 3000 employees, cafeteria, monotonous, good for someone who is middle aged or a family person, not for young person, some days I would walk past middle management or supervisors and they would not even say hello even tho I was looking them in the face, rude! There is a CYA attitude and blame is passed, senior management or department managers always changing to other openings.

ConsCubicle all day, 9hours on computer, passive aggressive emails, duties were constantly changing including hours I worked 830-5 then was switched to rotating hours starting between 9-11am and ending 530-8pm. Worked I a new program which never succeeded. I was a temp for what I was told was 90days and I worked 1year and was never offered full time benefits. When I spoke up I was advised to look for other jobs within the company, I applied for inside sales and I met all the qualifications and exceeded some. Sales required hs diploma and I have a bachelors. I was never offered an interview after the phone screen even tho I had experience in the company and higher education than some applicants. Ultimately being fed up with being contract employee caused my performance to suffer.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnce you are in a position and are needed it is hard to move, would be easier to leave the company then return in a higher role than move laterally or move up.

Corporate HQ Employee

Framingham, MA

ProsThe people in my department are great and fun to work with. Lately, the summer time-off policy has been much better than in the past. Hopefully that is something they will continue.

ConsMoving up is a challenge. Even if they recognize the quality of work you're doing, there's a lot of red-tape involved to move up the ladder. The pay isn't great and neither are the raises. Most of the time, the people that don't deserve to move up, do. Health insurance benefits are a complete joke.

A great company of its sort, now working hard to turn around

Anonymous (Current Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsExecution and dedication of the leadership

ConsMiddle management as a group is too large
    Outsourcing saved money at the cost of hurting effectiveness and efficiency

Advice to Senior ManagementDeveloping and retaining talents at every level should be a criteria for the performance appraisal of any management staff. I have seen so many managers and directors who don't really care how his staff is doing, but unfortunately these managers and directors are doing pretty well themselves. This is ridiculous.

Good company to work for, but misses the boat in IT by not considering itself a software company

IT Consultant (Former Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsReasonable work hours, flexibility, pay, benefits, and career advancement opportunity. Good record of employee retention. If you want to branch out there are usually plenty of opportunities to make career changes. Staples also places a high value on hiring and training quality managers.

ConsOften takes shortcuts in the software development process to get things out the door rather than focus on solid processes. This means weak oversight, low predictability and high bug rates, which ultimately maps to issues in customer satisfaction. Also the focus on the retail and ecommerce business units comes at the expense of other areas, and this means that if you are working on areas in IT that do not directly map to retail or ecommerce then the job rewards and recognition can be frustratingly absent. As with other large companies, you definitely need to have a clear sense of a technical path or a management path, because management roles are decidedly non-technical.

Valuable experience for recent graduate

Interactive Designer (Former Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsI was given the opportunity to present and defend my work to high level stakeholders. My boss taught me how to ask the right questions and challenge a client strategy brief.

ConsSometimes by the time you're work is launched, it's been manipulated by so many people, it's hard to call it your own. Executives will always get the final call, whether or not, it's a good product or not.

Great Company to work for

Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsThey pay well and are a very laid back company. The do a really good job with their benefit offering. They recently have relaxed the dress code and it has made for an even more relaxed atmosphere.

ConsThe performance review process tends to be a bit vague. Other than that, I can't come up with much in the way of Cons

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more time to invest in the growth of your employees.

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Staples reviews and ratings in Boston, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Staples CEO Ron Sargent. All 158 reviews posted anonymously by Staples employees.