Staples Canada

Staples Canada Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Staples Canada President Steve Matyas

Steve Matyas

Pros
  • Open/accepting work environment(in 11 reviews)

• Great teamwork - if there are good people working there(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay as compared to similar jobs outside of Staples(in 7 reviews)

• While there is no commission, there is extreme pressure to deliver sales (not unreasonable though for a sales job)(in 5 reviews)

Extraordinary

Technology Sales Associate (Current Employee) Richmond, BC (Canada)

ProsThere are a lot of contests in store. Easy going job with flexible hours and not too much stress.
    Meeting new people that are very polite and just lovely.

ConsPersonal growth in such a company was nil. You want to stay in staples, to get $12 an hour, you need 2 years or 3 years. Some managers tend to pre judge but other than that it was pretty good.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions to some people.
    Do not prejudge

Good part time job

Technology Sales Associate (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Pros-Good management team
    -Friendly work environment

Cons- Inefficient performance review process
    - No commission or financial incentive but a lot of pressure on sales performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess preferential treatment and hiring of young girls based solely on physical attractiveness

Good starting point for a career in retail

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsDecent pay for hours put in
    work life balance is important to most higher managers

ConsPromotions sometimes seem to be watered down with red tape. Even to get one of your high performers to the next level it seems like it takes twice as long due to the red tape.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your in store managers manage the business and their people

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A fun environment that gives you the opportunity to grow.

Divisional Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsTheir focus on people development means that you usually have a strong core of managers who are focused on giving you opportunities to learn. The scheduling is very flexible and there is very much an emphasis on work-life balance. The company is not afraid of change.

ConsThey don't give you a lot of vacation time to start and you have to be with the company at least five years before you get any more. It is important that you know the right people and are part of the right clique.

Great entry level/student job - Copy Centre

Copy Centre Associate (Current Employee) Victoria, BC (Canada)

ProsManagement can be very supportive and flexible. I have worked at three locations all over the country and transfers were always incredibly easy making big move a beeze. They are always flexible with my schedule, as a student this has made my life SO much easier. I work in the Copy Centre which was actually a very fun job (with its negative points like all jobs). Staff parties are usually great and they have lunches and employee recognition days, profit sharing etc. to make you really feel appreciated. I have worked here for 8 years, starting in high school and right through my degree. I never had a reason to leave before but I'm graduating a moving on.

ConsPay for Copy Centre Associates is quite unfair. If you're going to work for this company and want to make money this is not the position for you. We get paid the same as regular cashiers which is ludicrous given the extra responsibility and stress of this position not to mention the sales and technical skill it requires. However, it is certainly a more interesting challenging position than most at the retail level. Like any retail job individual managers have the ability to make your life very unpleasant and there is no management review system that takes into account employee experiences/opinions.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllocate more resources to engaging lower level associates for management review. Copy Centre pay grades should absolutely be reviewed.

Terrible experience

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Pros- only two individuals were humane and should be manager in my opinion
    - you get two breaks and one break not deducted

Cons- constantly hectic to force customers to buy pc or mac ultra set ups when customers don't want it and I had many a times where customers just left and went to wal mart or future shop. General manager would call you names behind your back and it was upsetting.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to treat people like people and not a door step.

Good start for my career, but hard to find long term opportunities.

Business Support Manager (Former Employee) Milton, ON (Canada)

ProsThe retail locations I worked at had good flexibility in the scheduling even tho they are retail hours, There is much trust placed in the associates and if you manage to move up in the company there is a lot of opportunity for continuing education.

ConsCompensation is not the best for management and the amount of work and extra hours needed are generally not rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaples is a good company, but that's it. It was a nice stepping stone for the start of a career but I find it hard to build a successful career at this company without a lot of wasted time waiting.

One of the most horrifically misguided companies in the world

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Kelowna, BC (Canada)

ProsThe hours are great, you get moments to relax even while out on the floor, they sell a lot of good products, and meeting new people and talking to them, and then getting to see their happy face when they leave with exactly what they wanted for the right price feels great. The environment is good to work in, people usually play pretty nice, and you get a lot of good experience doing everything.

ConsThe systems and policies they had when I worked there are totally ludicrous. Upselling is natural, of course, but punishments and stern talking-to's when you don't sell a bunch of worthless crap along with a large item is bad for employee-management relations. Also they outright lie about bonuses given in place of commission. It doesn't happen, you're just being fooled to work harder for the same low pay. I hear they do a new thing now called "VIBE" which translates loosely to "annoy a customer until they either buy something or leave", and I can't believe how much I hate going into any Staples since then.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome people are just looking, some people need help. The most times it is acceptable to ask someone if they need assistance is twice. Once at the door, and once more (preferably by a different employee) when the customer is at the area of the store they are interested in. And enough with the systems. Some people are expert salesmen, and they don't follow your rules and it works for them. Choose the right people for the right job. A charismatic, intelligent, HONEST person is who you want selling your more expensive wares. Not the socially awkward kid who's trying to go by the book and screwing it up by being so obvious it makes you want to not buy anything because of how fake he is.

it was gr8 coz i start learning how to deal with ppl face to face

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

Prosmy co-workers at staples they r like family

Consmanaging ur time between different departments

Advice to Senior Managementraise salary

A place that gives one great hopes when upon start but fails to recognize talents and giving promotions.

Online Graphic Design Consultant (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsFlexible work schedule
    Friendly atmosphere
    Well recognized brand
    Can work from home in certain office positions

ConsJob is repetitive
    Zero employee morel
    Constantly fails to recognize new talents
    Dead end job. No room for advancement
    Fails to train new staff properly.....

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an open mind. Observe the employees achievements. Strive to recognize human talents by promoting those who can shine. Do not block them.

Invest in your employees not cut them off. Encourage them to be part if decision making, part of the team not test them as an outcast... LISTEN to them. Chances are they know something that can benefit the business...

Worked for Staples Canada? Contribute to the Community!