Staples Canada

Updated November 5, 2014
3.2

Staples Canada President Steve Matyas
Steve Matyas

Pros
  • Great teamwork - if there are good people working there (in 13 reviews)

• The scheduling is very flexible and there is very much an emphasis on work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Office politics, low pay, expected to do way more than you're paid for (in 9 reviews)

• While there is no commission, there is extreme pressure to deliver sales (not unreasonable though for a sales job) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

I have been working at Staples Canada part-time

Pros

It is pretty decent working here, can get all the hours I want now. Other than that not too sure.

Cons

Can't think of any cons really it seems like a decent place to work for just a part-time job.

Dissapointed.

I have been working at Staples Canada part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good staff - non management, good store hours.

Cons

Different management styles make for a conflicted workplace.

Get all managers on board as to expectations for staff both new and old.

Staples Tech Associate Review

Former Employee - Technology Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Technology Sales Associate

I worked at Staples Canada part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team, Good Management, Adequate training sessions, Great partnership training from different tech production companies, Great scheduling for employees.

Cons

Minimum wage, no commission on sales what so ever, salary increment is little over the years, different teams ( copy, tech, furniture ) are distant.

Following feedback is based on the location I was in other locations could be different.:

Close monitor by management could be annoying sometimes specially when they are trying to micromanage things.

Reduce close monitoring on the sales. Ease up on the rules ( ie : not being able to drink when customers not around and you are behind the counters ) Increase discounts on foods / candy / smaller valued products etc for the employees. Arrange workshop/training on making the bond stronger between teams.

Great work enviornment

Current Employee - Divisional Sales Manager in Owen Sound, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Divisional Sales Manager in Owen Sound, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Staples Canada full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training & development
    work life balanace

Cons

salary is not great, bonus sucks

none

Good first paid job

I worked at Staples Canada

Pros

A lot of my associates were friendly and helped me get the training I needed to thrive during the job. Also, having this job helped me interact with many customers and I felt that it improved my speaking abilities.

Cons

A little bit of pressure to finish tasks during the day such as reaching a certain quota for selling certain items, and some managers were not as friendly. Very tiring as well and walking around for a lot of the day tires you out.

Had great potential, looking for direction

I worked at Staples Canada

Pros

Great work life balance, even for managers
    Decent pay
    Previous bonus structure decent
    Generally great people to work with, many like family

Cons

Too many labour cutbacks... afraid to spend money to make money
    Answers to shareholders too often instead of what is right for growth and stabilization
    CEO is terrible leader, CDN President not much better

Floor associate (clerk)

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dorval, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dorval, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Staples Canada part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good team spirit, flexible schedules. Alot of useful resources for employees and management team is always positive.

Cons

like in all the retail world, the salary isn't the main argument. apart from that, I am overall satisfied working at Staples.

Poor company to work for

Current Employee - Technology Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technology Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Staples Canada part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

After being with the company seven years I can say that I have learned so much about business that I feel I don't need a mba. The training is very immersive, sometimes a bit too "hit-the-floor-running" for some people, but I do well with that, and it helps to be a fast learner. Networking with business clients is great and I've had many opportunities with customers over the years. Co-workers are almost a family, not including management.

Cons

Different management styles make for a conflicted workplace. Limited staff means that you are working your maximum shifts and that if you need to take a day off or something comes up you can't get that day because there is little coverage. There is a constant pressure from management to sell. It doesn't matter where you work in the store, everything is about selling more than we did last year. If you don't, then there are constant coaching moments to talk about helping more customers, selling more to those customers, and making sure they leave with more money out of their wallet. Some stores require you to stay very late on flyer nights which I can only imagine would make the work/life balance extremely hard. The pay is extremely low: over seven years, my wage went from a starting $10.25 to now making $13.40; half of those raises have been legislated by the provincial government. Manager turnover is extremely high and makes it hard for advancement in the company, even for managers. When there's an HR issue, the company is extremely slow and unwilling to fix problems.

Stop cutting store hours, as this cannot save the company that much money, but causes massive headaches for our stores and customers. Pay us what we are worth, and chances are we will want to push your goals higher.

Customer service

I worked at Staples Canada

Pros

Nothing good about working at staples.

Cons

Too many responsibilities for the salary amount

Quit your power trips.

Staples is a business focused on Sales and Service.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Staples Canada full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very flexible schedule allows you to enjoy your time with others when it is required. You can learn new skills and are not tied to just one position.

Cons

Performance evaluations are generic. Very cut and paste. There is tremendous pressure to deliver add on sales.

The fun part of the job is no longer a focus for the store. It is all about getting more. More sales, more add ons, more Easy Care, more surveys.

Staples Canada Photos