Staples Canada Reviews

154 reviews filtered by
3.3
Staples Canada President Steve Matyas
Steve Matyas

Pros
  • Great teamwork - if there are good people working there (in 13 reviews)

• The scheduling is very flexible and there is very much an emphasis on work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Office politics, low pay, expected to do way more than you're paid for (in 9 reviews)

• While there is no commission, there is extreme pressure to deliver sales (not unreasonable though for a sales job) (in 6 reviews)

1. Dissapointed.

I have been working at Staples Canada part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good staff - non management, good store hours.

Cons

Different management styles make for a conflicted workplace.

Advice to Management

Get all managers on board as to expectations for staff both new and old.

2. Good work environment, bad hours

Former Employee - Technology Sales Associate in Uxbridge, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Technology Sales Associate in Uxbridge, ON (Canada)

I worked at Staples Canada

Pros

Management was nice and supportive. Opportunity for growth

Cons

Many budget cuts meant loss of hours per employee

Advice to Management

Hire fewer employees and give them a consistent work schedule

3. Technology sales Consultant

Current Employee - Technology Consultant in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technology Consultant in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Staples Canada part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is a nice environment and not that stressful to work at. Staples offers better customer service than any other competition.

Cons

There is not much room to go up the ladder and they pay isn't as much, basically minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Raise the wages a little and give more room for advancement for part time associates.

5. Co-op student

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Staples Canada as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Fun and engaging environment with many benefits

Cons

Departments are very segregated and more collaboration with other departments would be more engaging.

6. Good working environment

I worked at Staples Canada

Pros

Working environment was really good. Hard work is often recognised and rewarded.

Cons

the pay is really low compared to work load. The store should also hire more staff. Staples believe in low cost operations..

Advice to Management

The company should really work on its pay structure to retain employees

7. Not a lot of growth opportunities

Former Employee - Category Specialist in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Category Specialist in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)

I worked at Staples Canada full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, gym onsite at head office, flexible hours

Cons

Not a lot of room for career growth, unfortunately. They follow a very strict promotion plan so it can be very frustrating for those who have proven themselves worthy of a promotion in a very short time. Unless you have worked for the company for a certain number of years, you won't be considered for a promotion. In addition, management has been in place for a long time so even if you are ready for a promotion, there may not be any available opportunities.

Advice to Management

Look for ways to help your employees grow their careers. With so few opportunities for promotion, it's easy to lose a fantastic employee simply because they are looking to move up in their career.

8. Not a bad job during school

I have been working at Staples Canada

Pros

Flexible with school schedule, not to demanding of a job.

Cons

The retail market is changing, so with that they have cut employees making the tasks difficult at times to complete.

9. Company Review

I have been working at Staples Canada

Pros

Very good work environment and good management

Cons

Salary growth (once every year)

Advice to Management

periodic salary review

10. Do not consider this job if you are a Certified Computer Technician.

Current Employee - Resident Easy Tech
    Current Employee - Resident Easy Tech

I have been working at Staples Canada part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great environment, team feeling, relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

You will be making 2$ over minimum wage as a Computer Technician, and probably work no more than 30 hours a week to ensure you are kept part-time. I'm the only technician at my location, but I have yet to hear of another store that has a certified technician. For my weekends they pull a sales associate into the tech room and have them 'work'. I can't tell you how anxious I get on weekends or vacations. The company seems to think computer repair is limited to backup, wipe, reinstall. (I've seen entire hard drives booked in for backup and all data lost simply due to a lack of technical understandings of the associates. Yes, they copied the user folder, sure, but they didn't have access permissions to the subfolders due to the technique used, so the folder is essentially empty. Just looking at the filesize would've been an indicator but no one bothered to confirm data transfer) When the ball inevitably drops, management asks me how to avoid these problems in the future, and I always respond "Only allowed certified techs to touch the machines...any certification would be a start." and they laugh at that idea because no one other than me would certify themselves and then work for such a low wage. I'm skeptical that the skills learned at this job will transfer easily, as the job does not hold a lot of respect within the industry. Staples is trying to dumb down computer repair to the level of fry cook. It just doesn't hold water.

In addition, as a computer tech, you will find yourself deep into a registry key, trying to concentrate, only to be interrupted and asked to run cash for a few minutes, or help someone at the tablet table, or perform any job even slightly considered technical. My colleagues, who are all trained in taking tickets, will greet a customer. The customer will ask for the technician, and the associate will immediately come and get me. I'll stop what i'm doing (walking away from a laptop and leaving pieces everywhere) to find out the customer is simply here to pickup a completed unit. The staff are trained to do intake and outtake, but all too often it's the technician who ends up holding the stick and booking in the units. The level of respect for the position is, again, as if I lucked out and won the position, moving up from the sales floor, instead of being specifically hired for my credentials. I have been there for over a year and my GM has been surprised to hear that I hold a Bachelor's degree, not once, but three times. They are so used to working with kids straight out of high school they simply cannot remember that some of their staff are educated. It's a dead end job, and you will be kept awake with nightmares about what the other 'techs' are doing to your customers machines. This is a great job in a pinch, like my situation, but the role of Resident Computer Technician is not a Computer Technician or IT role, it is a glorified sales associate role.

If they raised the pay by four or five dollars an hour, at least, and left me to due my duties instead of covering cash while the high school student is on lunch, it would be an alright job. As it is, Staples is simply out to lunch as to what constitutes a tech center.

Advice to Management

Don't allow people who are not certified to touch a machine. Ever. There is no excuse for such unethical behaviour, as it leaves the customer at plenty of risk. Just because one of your staff is 'techy' cause he has two cell phones and plays a lot of Destiny does not make him qualified to be doing privacy wipes and data migrations, let alone security work.

11. Good for a part time good

Former Employee - Sale Associate in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sale Associate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Staples Canada

Pros

Benefits are good. You have a standard benefits package which is nice. Work-life is good as well. Salary 25 cents above minimum wage.

Cons

Performance for selling ESPis always mesured. Managers are not always intelligent are they do not hold degrees. Salary 25 cents above minimum wage.

Staples Canada Photos