Staples

Staples Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Staples Chairman and CEO Ron Sargent

Ron Sargent

Pros
  • Good compensation provided and has a good work-life balance as well (in 42 reviews)

• This is a decent job if you are post-high school, or need something part-time while in college (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • When "back to school" season hits there is a lot more expected from the employees (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management had no idea what the needs of the stores needs were (in 68 reviews)

More Highlights
129 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Certified Field Technician and Customer Service Lead

Easy Certified Technician (Former Employee) Bellerose, NY

ProsLearning about how to provide customer service and how to sell any merchandise to customer with respect. Also Staples is teaching an employer how to deal with customer in a professional way.

ConsSometime, employers will face with difficult customers, which they can be managed with little patience.

Copy & Print Supervior

Copy & Print Center Supervisor (Current Employee) College Point, NY

Prosfun work place, great people to work with, easy work environment, flexible work hours

Consnot very great pay, training can use some help, hard to move up in company

Advice to Senior Managementwould take more time training

Just too much

Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWorked with my schedule, loved my coworkers.

Conscut hours to 25 per week for part time

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Copy and Print

Copy Center Associate (Current Employee) Mount Kisco, NY

Prosflexibility of schedule, the team I work with is pretty great as well. Copy & Print center does get pretty busy as well

Constraining, hours, pay, benefits, hours, hours oh did i mention hours

Staples managers suck

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) Bronx, NY

ProsThey give you a lot of hours during the back to school season and the workers are a team. They help eachother out through anything. Everyone literally does a small part of a big task to get it done quicker. They are always there to help you with whatever you need as a new staples associate.

ConsIf its not back to school season or if the manager just doesnt like you, they might not give you many hours a week. They expect you to be able to sell anything from cupons to computers no matter what area of the stoe you work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to train your associates better. Even if its back to school season and you need them on the floor as soon as possible, you also have to train them very well before you expect them to do as good of a job as the workers that have been working for you longer.

Loved working there!

Copy Center Associate (Former Employee) Bronx, NY

ProsI enjoyd the Atmosphere and coworkers

ConsNot much advancement, little pay increase

Too much on Techs

Staples EasyTech Expert (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsOccasionally meet interesting people as customers, other associates can be interesting as well. Other than that it's nothing at all to write home about. It was a much better place to work back in New Jersey

ConsEverything. They rely on the easytech department for anything and everything. They don't train or assist well. It's a bad place

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat associates with respect. Work with them

Good retail learning experience, but not much room for career advancement...

Copy & Print Center Associate (Former Employee) Valley Stream, NY

ProsWorking with customers and learning about products. Fast past environment with lots of things to do. Also having great co-workers made the job fun. My location co-workers was like a family...really looked out for another especially during busy times such as back to school.

ConsNot enough hours and advancement can take forever if there is any room for you. Hourly pay is not that great.
    Management can stress you out for sales goals and there isn't much rewards for doing so which can leave you feeling uninspired.

Horrible work environment

Copy Center Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsStaples has a few good managers that tried to listen to their team members. Friendly costumers which made the workplace a little bit better.

ConsFirst they have the most disgusting break room. This may be because no one is really tasked to maintain it. Unfortunately, this goes for the bathrooms as well. The same ones customers use.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssign cleaning teams

Account Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWas a great company in every way for a very long time.

ConsNo longer a great company in any way. Very sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement can only do what corporate demands or expects on any given day. Corporate needs to get their heads out of the clouds and listen to their front line employees on what really needs to be done. Reinvention or misdirection??

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!