Staples

3.0 1,561 reviews

Staples Chairman and CEO Ron Sargent

Ron Sargent

1,561 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance is great and some teams are very flexible with telecommuting"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Even if you're a part time employee they give you an option to have benefits"
    in 63 reviews
Cons:
  • "providing exceptional customer service becomes challenging with decrease in labor"
    in 47 reviews
  • "Poor upper management alignment, management is unable to make solid decisions"
    in 46 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Once great, now grasping

Sales and Merchandising Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Staples full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWith the right manager, the team becomes a family. Some customers are truly wonderful and appreciate the excellent customer service.

ConsRecently, despite significant cuts to payroll, "priorities" have increased exponentially. Motivation has turned into threats. Morale is at an all time low among management, so staff is as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't pay minimum wage and expect MBA level involvement. Limit priorities to 3. If you want to keep customers, stop raising prices on core items.

Limited Advancement Opportunities

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Staples full-time for more than a year

ProsMost associates in my immediate sphere of influence are talented & hard-working. There are pockets of innovation. I am able to learn a lot and gain valuable experience. Benefits are decent.

ConsCareer advancement opportunities are limited, even for top performers. Top talent is easily poached and there is a lot of attrition. The culture is a mess, morale is low, and politics reigns supreme. Below average compensation for technology workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove to a more performance-based compensation model. Less talk, more walk.

Stable company, good compensation, decent benefits

I have been working at Staples full-time for more than 5 years

ProsManagement generally rewards loyalty. The work load is reasonable, in fact, management is often reluctant to overload the associates. This may be because they underestimate the employees' capabilities.
There's a culture of recognizing contributions and achievements.

ConsCareer progression is difficult. Management supports it verbally, but guidance and support is not evident. Management likes to see associates in a role for 18-24 months before moving on. I have been in the same role for 4 years, despite exceeding performance objectives the last 2 years and actively looking for opportunities within the company. This is also because the company has not been growing and positions have been eliminated.
More transparency is needed regarding strategic goals and objectives, particularly for more senior and experienced employees. Silo thinking and communication is pervasive and counterproductive.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet actively involved in developing employees and provide a career path: 'walk the walk'. Provide stretch assignments and actively coach and promote employees who are motivated, consistently achieve results, and want to grow.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Break Pack Associate

Breakpack Associate (Former Employee)
Secaucus, NJ

I worked at Staples full-time for less than a year

ProsFlexibility in duties, communication from management, information about the company, understanding of personal schedules, they acknowledged those employees that showed in terest for the work.

ConsMost people have to work in very close proximity to other workers, which made the space a bit tight to navigate when one is performing his or her duties.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Staples has been a great place to work where you know what you are getting

Mobility and Tech Sales Supervisor (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Staples full-time for more than a year

ProsWe are a big family
Fast paced
Easy to catch on to new things
Training really helps you be prepared.

ConsCustomer service and pay
Raises are almost a joke sometimes
Customers are usually right but the ones that arent are extremely stressful to deal with

Advice to Senior ManagementOther managers need to know more.
GM at 1860 is where it is at!

Ups and Downs

I have been working at Staples part-time for more than a year

ProsStore management can be either a blessing or a curse. When you have awesome store management though they make it fun to come in each day and will work with you to meet your goals and help you to grow.

ConsUpper upper upper management makes lots of decisions that are just odd seeming and almost blatant moneygrabs at times. If you are part time your hours are capped pretty tight and full time while nice for hours gets rather stressful.

Okay for a job while in school.

Team Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Staples part-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery flexible schedule and easy to move up if you want to.

ConsAfter you get out of school, working every weekend gets old quick.

No Focus

I have been working at Staples full-time

ProsOk place to work. It's a job, not an adventure.

ConsCompany has lack of focus. very understaffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt may be related to particular stores, but the company has no focus. One week we push this, next week we push that. Be sure you push cell phone, ink passes, whatever, regardless of what the customer needs, etc, Makes us look like we are more interested in selling rather than the customer needs.

It's work, I guess

Anonymous (Current Employee)

I have been working at Staples

ProsSmall work environment. If you like that. No overnight hours. Not a lot of work if you stay on top of the department.

ConsAbout 30% of the managers and supervisors don't have great managing skills. Pretty boring in terms of customer traffic. If you work hard and fast you can be walking aroun the store doing nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement and "supervisors" need better and way more training. Not all are productive. A lot of in sitting in office texting going on.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great Company, but can't seem to get out of its own way.

Staples Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Staples full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAble to learn a variety of skills from selling to operations to Copy & Print to Technology. Great values and core beliefs.

ConsExcessive Corporate payroll and titles. Way too many Directors of _____, VP's and Highly compensated positions in the Home Office. The field is struggling mightily with a dwindling payroll and hours for training.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a plan and stick to it. It seems like the company is REINVENTING itself every year.

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Staples reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Staples CEO Ron Sargent. All 1,561 reviews posted anonymously by Staples employees.