Staples

2.9 1,840 reviews

Staples Chairman and CEO Ron Sargent

Ron Sargent

(1,008 ratings)

Pros
  • Good compensation provided and has a good work-life balance as well(in 42 reviews)

• This is a decent job if you are post-high school, or need something part-time while in college(in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • When "back to school" season hits there is a lot more expected from the employees(in 30 reviews)

• Upper management had no idea what the needs of the stores needs were(in 68 reviews)

1,840 Employee Reviews

always overworked and underpay

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

Proscompetitive salary at starting.
    however take a very long time to gain a good review and raise,
    except brownnoser,

Consconstant micro management.

Advice to Senior Managementbe fair and consistent to all employee, pay surprise visit to store and see more aspect of store management.

A good job while going to college

Easy Tech (Former Employee) Warner Robins, GA

ProsFun and Enjoyable place to work

ConsPersonal growth and pay. Having a degree does not allow you for upgrade in pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementPersonal growth is hard, hire within the company

WOW, just WOW

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked with great people at the store. It supported being customer oriented. Promotes from within. Flexible hours for non-managers. New training modules seemed to come out every few months to keep you on your toes. Corporate officers and their minions were able to come and do a meet and greet.

ConsA lot of pressure to push employees to their absolute limits. I listened to my superiors threatening people of their jobs in front of other people. If you don't enjoy sales, this is a bad place. Bonus programs were always changing. Performance appraisals changed year to year so it was difficult as an employee to know how you'd be scored come review time. No solid discounts for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to communicate in a clear and concise manner.

When rolling out a new program, visit stores in a more mystery shopper way and ask associates what they'd think of the changes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Work environment

Clerk (Current Employee) Newark, OH

Prosgood associates, get to know retail environment, aka good deals and etc, good experience. Most managers are nice.
    rare occurrences.
    program to cover some school costs (books) as long as still working there, etc.

Conslow pay
    a lot of work, goals to accomplish/meet expectations
    other companies pay more for same position
    you can get insurance they have a plan for (not sure if that good, (takes payments for so not freebie). 401k plan you can get part of your paycheck toward, not separate.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost managers are great but one seems tempered

sales associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Bozeman, MT

ProsTypical retail job, got to know a lot about pens and paper.

ConsSome management was a little iffy but a good job for a high school student.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more willing to listen to your employees and if you agree on a schedule do not change it and dont expect me to change my schedule because you messed up.

Copy & Print Supervior

Copy & Print Center Supervisor (Current Employee) College Point, NY

Prosfun work place, great people to work with, easy work environment, flexible work hours

Consnot very great pay, training can use some help, hard to move up in company

Advice to Senior Managementwould take more time training

Wonderful

Staples Easy Tech (Current Employee) Phila, PA

ProsLoved working there, learned alot bout computers including how to fix them, update them, mantain themm etc.

ConsDIdnt really have any issues execpt for customers, alot were rude and thought they knew more than i did.

Not terrible. Lots of down time in the Easy Tech area.

Easy Tech Technician (Current Employee) Lake Forest, CA

ProsEvery now and again a cute girl will come by having no idea what's wrong with her computer.

ConsManagement seems clueless outside of their department.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn more areas outside of your department.

Used to Be Easy, Now Make More Happen

EasyTech Associate (Current Employee)

ProsBest introductory retail experience/opportunity out there. Great flexibility with other jobs/personal life and good company standards. Customer loyalty and satisfaction are the name of the game. Fun job especially for self-motivated/determined.

ConsChanges at corporate level are mixing things up as they try to boost sales. Occasional unrealistic expectations. Little sales incentive for the unmotivated. Sometimes feels as if you're doing too much / everything in the entire store all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider logistics scheduling, consider incentive options to boost sales/lower turnover, ensure good staffing levels.

Really enjoyed the company, not so much the positions I worked.

Staples Advantage Consultant (Former Employee) Hanover, MD

ProsGreat benefits, fun and friendly atmosphere in the corporate office. Corporate was very helpful in relocating me within the company when I moved out of state.

ConsDid not enjoy working on the contract side of the business. Too many people involved in the contract division to get simple tasks done.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess micromanaging.

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!