Staples Reviews

2,445 Reviews
Staples Chairman and CEO Ron Sargent
Ron Sargent
1,268 Ratings

Pros
  • Good compensation provided and has a good work-life balance as well (in 49 reviews)

• Good benefits for part time employees and they offer a chance to move up in the company (in 85 reviews)

Cons
  • When "back to school" season hits there is a lot more expected from the employees (in 35 reviews)

• Upper management trickles down horrible attitudes with their horrifying expectations (in 81 reviews)

Easy Tech it is a JOB!

Former Employee - Easy Tech Associste
    Former Employee - Easy Tech Associste

I worked at Staples

Pros

You learn how to interact with various customers, this is valuable for inexperienced technology people.

Cons

They pay is not worth the amount of work that is part of your job. I was working in two departments, had to do truck, customer service, and computer repair. Side note some of the customers are "winners".

Do not treat your employees like garbage then expect us to move mountains. Either increase our pay to match the work load, or give cash kudos instead of the reward's point.

2. Developed me more in four years than previous four years of sales training at other companies.

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Staples

Pros

Manager wasn't a boss, she was a leader. True strategic guidance and challenger-sale style selling. Learned my role and the one above me, which lead to promotion to area sales manager. Opportunity to participate in Rising Stars program, Management training program, and had exposure to key leaders in the organization. Great team, that was truly close. Commission potential is there, when you perform.

Cons

Constant change - you have to be flexible. Office supplies is competitive and margin is squeezed; you have to be willing to sell around that to make great commission. Poor communication between divisions and teams - we can work to create better synergy.

Better top down communication. Roll out of programs and initiatives is like a fire drill, then it tapers off and the message is lost.

it was ok.

Former Employee - Sales Person
    Former Employee - Sales Person

I worked at Staples part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

easy, chill, relax, sales, customers

Cons

management, boring, long hours, work weekends

try to promote more. we don't want to stay same position forever.

5. Great Opportunity to Grow from Within

Current Employee - B2B Sales Consultant in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - B2B Sales Consultant in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Staples full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have continually enjoyed each part of my career with Staples thus far. The training program is comprehensive, hands on and provides the tools needed to be successful within this role. I've been given the freedom to manage my own schedule on field days and am frequently recognized for my above average performance and even won a trip to Jamaica last year. In addition to all of this, I was also able to mentor other associates and given ample opportunities to lead others within my position.

Cons

I enjoy being out of the office and in front of customers and out of every week, we were required to be in the office at least 1-2 days. One day was devoted to Call Day, where we would call on prospects to schedule meetings and the other one was for team trainings and one on one coaching sessions.

Continue to grow from within and promote associates who want to make a career with the company.

6. pretty fun, as long as you do your work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Staples

Pros

chill management, easy work, customer service

Cons

management, long hours, alot of overtime

move people up or give better raises for work.

Fast paced environment that is constantly changing.

I have been working at Staples

Pros

Flexible work schedule even during peak times. There's always plenty to do. You will be successful if you can balance customer service with tasks that need to be completed. You must be able to start a task, interact with customers, walk away from task at hand then return where you left off. That cycle continues throughout every shift.

Cons

Change is good, however Staples seems to have lost focus on its original intent, office supplies. They have even dropped "Office Super Store" from its name.The 21st century office has changed but Staples has not effectively embraced the changes. The emphasis seems to be on covenience store products and forcing customers to shop online. Upper Management does not support the core values they preach.

Be more active in the day to day operations of the store. Be able to demonstrate the behavior you expect from yourassociates.

Good experience over all.

Former Employee - Easy Certified Technician in Manhattan, KS
    Former Employee - Easy Certified Technician in Manhattan, KS

I worked at Staples part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked as a Certified EasyTech as a temporary job for about 6months. I was given opportunities to grow and useful feedback when I needed it. At my location we had a very good manager and a general sense of cooperation. Good retail experience and you can move up if you want to.

Cons

Dealing with the ever changing rules on the corporate side and of course some customers that just tried to be difficult. Biggest issue was usually just overly complicated ways of doing simple tasks that were built upon rather than revised. Think corporate bureaucracy.

You can not simplify a system by adding more system to it.

9. Good Work Environment and Flexible

I have been working at Staples

Pros

Employees get along and my manager is very flexible with hours since everyone is in school

Cons

Hours could be cut down

Staples Job

I worked at Staples

Pros

Flexible Hours that make it difficult to not have a good time

Cons

Tough Management that makes it difficult to have a good time

11. Great Company to work for.

Current Employee - Certified Technician in Cortland, NY
    Current Employee - Certified Technician in Cortland, NY

I have been working at Staples

Pros

Staples is a great company to work for. If you have a passion for computers. Being an easy tech is the best way to go.

Cons

Low pay, Not as many hours as i would prefer.