Staples Reviews

Reset
Staples Chairman and CEO Ron Sargent
Ron Sargent
1,492 Ratings

Pros
  • The work / life balance is generally pretty good (in 49 reviews)

• Part time employees get some benefits (in 85 reviews)

Cons
  • When "back to school" season hits there is a lot more expected from the employees (in 35 reviews)

• Upper management will not allow GM to make management decisions (in 81 reviews)

3,076 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Great culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staples has a strong culture of giving back and helping associates. The investments made in the corporate headquarters show that the company is committed to providing a better work environment for associates and that their people are important to them even when going through a reinvention.

Cons

On-boarding process can be improved by having best practice documents and process documents easy to access on the intranet. A lot of time is spent wasted by new hires and managers trying to figure out how to set up work stations.

Advice to Management

Streamline and simplify processes making it easier to take risks and be truly innovative. Encourage managers to embrace a true work-life balance.

2. General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunities fast paced environment with great customer base. Plenty of room for growth and very competitive pay. Great store hours so plenty of time for Family.

Cons

Be a leader and there are no cons. Peak seasons are different then all other retailers so a bit of an adjustment

Advice to Management

Support service initiatives by streamlining up and coming role outs

3. Great learning experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Coral Gables, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Coral Gables, FL

I worked at Staples part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-It is a big organization so it was nice to work for a place that is already established and has it's ways of doing things. You don't feel like you had to come up with solutions because there were already there. -It was a great learning experience. I learned a lot about team work, I know that sounds cheesy, but if another employee was not doing there job well you could tell the efficiency go down. -The team was very welcoming and willing to teach the new person the ropes. -The team manager was very encouraging, very honest and knew how to correct you if you were wrong and how to motivate you to keep doing good. -They did what was within their abilities to accommodate the schedule to your needs.

Cons

-The schedule wasn't fixed but more than a store problem I think it's a corporate problem. All of these sale goals had to be met and they had very little time to offer the employees so the schedule was always a mess. -They had one employee that was always late, didn't do his work on time, he had all his warnings and they never fired him. He really dragged the team down. -They had little to no opportunities for a full-time and the part-time didn't offer too many hours.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to continue with the good work, especially the team manager, he really is the best manager I've ever had. Don't keep dragging on those employees that lower the efficiency of the store. Overall, I think the management is working with what corporate gives them and they're making the best out of it.

5. Great Company

Pros

very happy with my teim here

Cons

no cons at the moment

6. Good

Former Employee - Resident Computer Tech in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Resident Computer Tech in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Staples (More than a year)

Pros

-Benefits were ok but not the best

Cons

-Pay was very low even for an entry level tech.

7. Growth only at hq

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good compensation and casual culture

Cons

No growth unless at hq

Advice to Management

Utilize your experienced employees.

8. Staples Office

Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in Waxhaw, NC
    Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in Waxhaw, NC

I worked at Staples (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team environment and location

Cons

Slow progression to upper management

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

9. Not terrible. not great

Former Employee - EasyTech Associate in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - EasyTech Associate in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Staples (Less than a year)

Pros

Depending on your location, there is SOME flexibility with your position and other things in general.

Cons

The mandatory store meetings are insightful I guess you could say because you hear a lot of the feedback from your coworkers and get to put in your 2 cents but they don't typically act on it. Also it doesn't matter whether you're 5 people in the same department or just 1 finishing the closing shift. They expect too much out of you and the managers don't seem to have a backbone when it comes to addressing their employees' feedback to their superiors. You sometimes have to put up with the ridiculousness that goes on that you really shouldn't have to tolerate.

Advice to Management

Try to go the extra mile for your employees. Most of you seem to just sit/stand around in the store checking your phones mindlessly when you could be offering help on the floor. Show the employees you are trying to improve the work environment by making it more efficient and offering constructive criticism, instead of watching from the sidelines and complaining about how we don't do our job well enough when you don't even have a clue to do our job.

10. Great opportunity

Former Employee - B2B Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - B2B Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Staples full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a grind. The pay is great and it is fun to go visit all the different businesses. You have to really be able to effectively communicate and establish concrete expectations in order to get your wins when you are expecting them. It can be a struggle, with long hours, but if you're great with people and aren't opposed to relentlessly following up, you can do big things.

Cons

The sales process is very structured and really works, but if you are having trouble, the automatic assumption is you just aren't doing it right

Advice to Management

Keep going on the path that you're going because the hold on the market will only grow. Provide more hands on training.

11. Merchandise Planner

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, MA

I worked at Staples full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn a lot - very aggressive analysis, retail math required

Cons

Cut throat environment where no matter what you get done it's not enough

Showing 3,076 of 3,112 reviews