Staples Reviews

2,456 Reviews
Staples Chairman and CEO Ron Sargent
Ron Sargent
1,277 Ratings

Pros
  • Good compensation provided and has a good work-life balance as well (in 49 reviews)

• Good benefits for part time employees and they offer a chance to move up in the company (in 85 reviews)

Cons
  • When "back to school" season hits there is a lot more expected from the employees (in 35 reviews)

• Upper management trickles down horrible attitudes with their horrifying expectations (in 81 reviews)

1. High energy environment with good management that allows for employee growth.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Staples

Pros

The people that you work with are fantastic. The advancement opportunities are great as well, one could anticipate a promotion within a few years if he or she works hard enough. Although it's not advised to move your availability around the management always try their best to work with everybody's schedule.

Cons

Work doesn't seem to be balanced through the week, 60% of the work for the week seems to fall on only 2 days of the week.

Show appreciation to employees more often, it would be nice to be recognized more often.

2. Good for a retail position

Former Employee - EasyTech Associate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - EasyTech Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Staples

Pros

Staples cares for it's employees. I felt like I mattered as a person

Cons

I was the onsite technician. I hated being expected to know everything about everything on the sales floor. Also, when I was scheduled to work the tech desk, it was difficult to manage the sales floor and fix the computers in a timely manner

Put more effort into the tech desk. If you want people to take Staples seriously for their computer needs, you need to take it seriously first.

3. Great stepping stone.

I have been working at Staples

Pros

Progressive and game changing company

Cons

Slow to market and poor marketing

Easy Tech it is a JOB!

Former Employee - Easy Tech Associste
    Former Employee - Easy Tech Associste

I worked at Staples

Pros

You learn how to interact with various customers, this is valuable for inexperienced technology people.

Cons

They pay is not worth the amount of work that is part of your job. I was working in two departments, had to do truck, customer service, and computer repair. Side note some of the customers are "winners".

Do not treat your employees like garbage then expect us to move mountains. Either increase our pay to match the work load, or give cash kudos instead of the reward's point.

6. If you can handle it, great place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Staples

Pros

Hard work is recognized, easy to move up if you ask for it and prove your worth. (Just know the right people to ask and don't be bashful). A lot of P/T associates care about their job and make the managers job doable. There are Staples all over the country, moving and keeping your job is pretty easy. This can be a great career job for some, and a great stepping stone job for others. If you don't like to work and have pride in your day to day, then a security job is a better fit for you where you can sit around all day and twirl your thumbs.

Cons

When a store has poor management, it can be miserable to work there. When a store has poor employees it's also miserable. A lot of employees don't think they are paid enough, some of them are right and some are just lazy. New programs are brought in very quickly and with a lot of pressure from upper management which can be OK if a store has good management and follows best practices.

Take care of your quality employees, quickly! Don't make them wait because they either leave or turn into employees who don't care and don't see a point anymore. Give internal promotions the same pay levels as external hires. Pay out commissions if you want to boost sales. Don't let managers get away with not following company policies and best practices, one bad apple creates other bad apples.

7. Contract Sales

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Staples

Pros

Big company with many benefits

Cons

Big company that can be very inflexible and not customer centric

Have the customer come first and always and the revenue will follow.

8. Developed me more in four years than previous four years of sales training at other companies.

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Staples

Pros

Manager wasn't a boss, she was a leader. True strategic guidance and challenger-sale style selling. Learned my role and the one above me, which lead to promotion to area sales manager. Opportunity to participate in Rising Stars program, Management training program, and had exposure to key leaders in the organization. Great team, that was truly close. Commission potential is there, when you perform.

Cons

Constant change - you have to be flexible. Office supplies is competitive and margin is squeezed; you have to be willing to sell around that to make great commission. Poor communication between divisions and teams - we can work to create better synergy.

Better top down communication. Roll out of programs and initiatives is like a fire drill, then it tapers off and the message is lost.

9. Great Opportunity to Grow from Within

Current Employee - B2B Sales Consultant in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - B2B Sales Consultant in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Staples full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have continually enjoyed each part of my career with Staples thus far. The training program is comprehensive, hands on and provides the tools needed to be successful within this role. I've been given the freedom to manage my own schedule on field days and am frequently recognized for my above average performance and even won a trip to Jamaica last year. In addition to all of this, I was also able to mentor other associates and given ample opportunities to lead others within my position.

Cons

I enjoy being out of the office and in front of customers and out of every week, we were required to be in the office at least 1-2 days. One day was devoted to Call Day, where we would call on prospects to schedule meetings and the other one was for team trainings and one on one coaching sessions.

Continue to grow from within and promote associates who want to make a career with the company.

10. pretty fun, as long as you do your work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Staples

Pros

chill management, easy work, customer service

Cons

management, long hours, alot of overtime

move people up or give better raises for work.

it was ok.

Former Employee - Sales Person
    Former Employee - Sales Person

I worked at Staples part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

easy, chill, relax, sales, customers

Cons

management, boring, long hours, work weekends

try to promote more. we don't want to stay same position forever.