Staples Reviews

1,956 Reviews

Staples Chairman and CEO Ron Sargent
Ron Sargent
1,069 Ratings

Pros
  • Good compensation provided and has a good work-life balance as well (in 42 reviews)

• This is a decent job if you are post-high school, or need something part-time while in college (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • When "back to school" season hits there is a lot more expected from the employees (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management had no idea what the needs of the stores needs were (in 68 reviews)

More Highlights

great people, terrible upper management

Former Employee - Copy and Print Associate  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Copy and Print Associate in Richmond, VA

I worked at Staples part-time for less than a year

Pros

Enjoyed working with customers, learning how to use the copy and print technology, and got very lucky in that I had a great manager who cared about his employees and his store.

Cons

Upper management constantly pushing more work onto lower level wage workers while offering little incentives to do so. Customers ask the world of copy and print associates and there's often a significant gap between the reality of store and employee capabilities and what the customer thinks those capabilities are--something the company encourages to a degree to hold onto customers.

Company is on the fritz due to less demand for its products and services and I got the sense that a real sense of panic pervaded every decision upper management made.

Great people, Great customers, room for improvement with training.r

Current Employee - Easy Tech Expert/Tech Supervisor  in  South Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Easy Tech Expert/Tech Supervisor in South Portland, ME

I have been working at Staples full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pilot programs and lots of change, which keeps things fresh and exciting. Decent benefits if you work in the phone department, and if you have career aspirations with staples, they have programs to help you get to the next level.

Cons

Training has been in the past, long and manotinas. You sit in front of a computer screen for over a week and learn through brute force video training. (some of which are out of date). They are fixing this however, but I have yet to see the outcome. Management changes hands too frequently. Staffing/payroll is usually light and those who are on are expected to wear too many hats at times. When you move up from associate to supervisor, there is no direct training involved. You have to learn on the go, especially if your store is a higher volume store.

We appreciate the company goals in my store, as they seem not out of reach, not just sales goals, but staples values as well. The only problem we seem to struggle with is payroll and staffing. We never have enough full time associate level workers in our location which hurts us tremendously. We tend to hire some very outstanding part time workers who go above and beyond to make more happen for our customers, thus we would love to give these candidates a full time opportunity to make even MORE happen for our store and our customers. Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate this due to the amount of "full time" positions not being available at the associate level. These great candidates usually end up leaving for full time jobs elsewhere and usually with a much higher rate of pay. I feel as though the best thing we could get from higher management is the ability to hire full time associate level positions with better starting pay to attract the right kind of people we want to represent our brand.

Torn

Current Employee - Copy Center Associate  in  Madisonville, KY
    Current Employee - Copy Center Associate in Madisonville, KY

I have been working at Staples part-time for more than a year

Pros

I love the copy and print center. Working with customers is awesome. Stressful, but overall rewarding job if you can deal with the occasional angry customer. Loved it when I started.

Cons

Turnover rate is ridiculous, they hire idiots and then wonder why they end up not showing up and doing a crappy job. managers move around too often. Its a cluster of bad decisions. Pay is crap.

get it together.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Project Specialist

Current Employee - Product Specialist  in  Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Staples full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good base pay in comparison to other retail corporate jobs in the area

Cons

Lack of direction from upper management, everyone is out for themselves. Lack of growth opportunities

Focus on something because going 10000 different directions is not going to turn this ship around.

Retail position used strictly as a stepping stone for a better job

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Staples part-time

Pros

Very flexible scheduling and encourages schooling for college students, college program gives money towards tuition based on how long you've been a employee, a few coworkers who have been with Staples for 5+ years and are very experienced & great in training, the ability to schedule off without needing any particular reason, computer aided training program that teaches some of the skills needed for the position, management with teach, help, and assistance you in your training, and if you're a fast learner you will catch on quickly.

Cons

Most days are understaffed requiring a lot of responsibility on the cashiers, back to school can be as stressful as the holidays, stressful and fast paced environment, managers/assistance from other employees can be impossible, customers can at times be very difficult to deal with but is to be expected in retail, learning the entire store layout and finding where precise items go can be very daunting, low pay for the amount of work being done, other departments will very rarely assist you in ringing out customers, shifts can be very long as in 8+ hours, no guarantee you will be off the clock at a set time if you close, was told I would work 15 to 20 hours at the interview and somehow I'm working almost 30

Acknowledge employees that work hard, recognizing employees' set availability, consider frequent raises to employees that are going above and beyond, schedule set 15 minute and 30 minute breaks for every employee, consider asking the employees how many hours they can work

This is a great company, that offers growth to employees, good benefits

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA

I worked at Staples part-time for less than a year

Pros

The best thing about working here is the office culture. Everyone gets along this includes employees as well as managers.

Cons

Sometimes the pay is not worth the workload

Treat all new hires equal. Do not have a biased opinion about them

Inside Sales Account Manager

Former Employee - Inside Account Manager
    Former Employee - Inside Account Manager

I worked at Staples full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great position, hours and pay.

Cons

Health Benefits were not satisfying very high dedcutables.

Explore your options before settling for them

Current Employee - Team Supervisor  in  Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Team Supervisor in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Staples as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Friendly Staff and thats about it . I honestly don't have anything nice to say about them right now and thats why Im looking to leave.

Cons

The perks are terrible... 10 percent ?? I mean its better than nothing but for all the hard work it can be better. I don't know if the company is going down but its just not working out . Right now its back to school and we only have about 5 associates working per shift. They need to do better

More Cold Calling Than Advertised

Former Employee - Business to Business Sales Consultant  in  Stoneham, MA
    Former Employee - Business to Business Sales Consultant in Stoneham, MA

I worked at Staples full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have a strong training and development program, that teach's the "Staples Way" their sales process and technique

Cons

Large emphasis placed on cold calling
    Sales focus on constantly setting new meetings in saturated areas
    The compensation and commission structure is unclear and confusing making what you get paid hard to understand

On the Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate Staples  in  Shrewsbury, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate Staples in Shrewsbury, NJ

I have been working at Staples as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Friendly people and management favorable

Cons

uniforms costly...shoes, pants, belt, etc

Provide store maps for customers to find their way to what they need. Also, associates should have glossary of products and services

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!