Staples

3.0 1,575 reviews

Staples Chairman and CEO Ron Sargent

Ron Sargent

1,575 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance is great and some teams are very flexible with telecommuting"
    in 36 reviews
  • "Even if you're a part time employee they give you an option to have benefits"
    in 67 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management had no idea what the needs of the stores needs were"
    in 56 reviews
  • "When "back to school" season hits there is a lot more expected from the employees"
    in 24 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Wow - It is easy!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Concord, NC

I worked at Staples as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsWonderful company to work for

ConsTo be great you need to know about a lot of products

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are doing a great job.

Staples is great!

Product Specialist (Current Employee)
Framingham, MA

I have been working at Staples full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people are great, the food is great, fast-paced and innovative! The number of stores may decreasing as we move forward but that opens the opportunity of the Market Place initiative, more online skus. Great company to work for as a recent college grad, as it is somewhere you can grow and learn, all while working alongside smart, fun and passionate individuals.

ConsSuper fast-moving, bad health insurance, not a lot of vacation time to start off.

Sales Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Staples part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI really enjoyed working at Staples. My co-workers were always very friendly and hours were very accommodating.

ConsThe pay was not the best and it was almost impossible to get a raise.

Staples is overall a good place to work.

Easy Tech Expert (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Staples full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVacation, personal time, and sick time can add up to be a lot of days off when there more than a couple of years.

ConsStarted being more about numbers when I left than more about customers like it was when I started.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach the associates how to sell while thinking about the customers actual needs.

Great place to work!

Sales Management Coach (Current Employee)

I have been working at Staples full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTremendous growth opportunity. Great earnings potential.

ConsConstantly changing environment. Must be adaptable.

Business Development

I have been working at Staples

ProsStrong Name Recongition, Financially Stable

ConsA ot of competition in the office suppy industry, incuding Big Box stores; A lot of adminstration work

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your sales people. A lot of changes in the last year.

Limited Advancement Opportunities

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Staples full-time for more than a year

ProsMost associates in my immediate sphere of influence are talented & hard-working. There are pockets of innovation. I am able to learn a lot and gain valuable experience. Benefits are decent.

ConsCareer advancement opportunities are limited, even for top performers. Top talent is easily poached and there is a lot of attrition. The culture is a mess, morale is low, and politics reigns supreme. Below average compensation for technology workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove to a more performance-based compensation model. Less talk, more walk.

Stable company, good compensation, decent benefits

I have been working at Staples full-time for more than 5 years

ProsManagement generally rewards loyalty. The work load is reasonable, in fact, management is often reluctant to overload the associates. This may be because they underestimate the employees' capabilities.
There's a culture of recognizing contributions and achievements.

ConsCareer progression is difficult. Management supports it verbally, but guidance and support is not evident. Management likes to see associates in a role for 18-24 months before moving on. I have been in the same role for 4 years, despite exceeding performance objectives the last 2 years and actively looking for opportunities within the company. This is also because the company has not been growing and positions have been eliminated.
More transparency is needed regarding strategic goals and objectives, particularly for more senior and experienced employees. Silo thinking and communication is pervasive and counterproductive.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet actively involved in developing employees and provide a career path: 'walk the walk'. Provide stretch assignments and actively coach and promote employees who are motivated, consistently achieve results, and want to grow.

Its Ok

Pricing Specialist (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at Staples full-time for less than a year

ProsCool people to work with

ConsPay not that great especially for so much work

Advice to Senior Managementneeds to improve in understanding employees

Once great, now grasping

Sales and Merchandising Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Staples full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWith the right manager, the team becomes a family. Some customers are truly wonderful and appreciate the excellent customer service.

ConsRecently, despite significant cuts to payroll, "priorities" have increased exponentially. Motivation has turned into threats. Morale is at an all time low among management, so staff is as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't pay minimum wage and expect MBA level involvement. Limit priorities to 3. If you want to keep customers, stop raising prices on core items.

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Staples reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Staples CEO Ron Sargent. All 1,575 reviews posted anonymously by Staples employees.