Staples Reviews

2.9
Staples Chairman and CEO Ron Sargent
Ron Sargent
1,431 Ratings

Pros
  • The work / life balance is generally pretty good (in 49 reviews)

• Part time employees get some benefits (in 85 reviews)

Cons
  • When "back to school" season hits there is a lot more expected from the employees (in 35 reviews)

• Upper management will not allow GM to make management decisions (in 81 reviews)

2,921 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Great culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staples has a strong culture of giving back and helping associates. The investments made in the corporate headquarters show that the company is committed to providing a better work environment for associates and that their people are important to them even when going through a reinvention.

Cons

On-boarding process can be improved by having best practice documents and process documents easy to access on the intranet. A lot of time is spent wasted by new hires and managers trying to figure out how to set up work stations.

Advice to Management

Streamline and simplify processes making it easier to take risks and be truly innovative. Encourage managers to embrace a true work-life balance.

2. Staples Maitland Call Center

I worked at Staples full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Management, Good starting hourly pay, great starting commission

Cons

Making sales budge gets tougher as time goes by

Advice to Management

Try not to raise the yearly goals so much

3. Wish I could work more.

Current Employee - Copy and Print Associate
    Current Employee - Copy and Print Associate

I have been working at Staples part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I get paid above minimum wage and I am able to help people with things they would not be able to do themselves with a printer or computer. Customers are generally satisfied with the service they receive. Occasionally, I am able to save someone's day.

Cons

Can only work up to 24 hours a week, even though part time is 30 hours, unless it's back to school time. Very few full time positions are available. Occasionally have to call coworkers during their off time about customer's orders, or take calls about work that I'm not compensated for. Our store is located in a tourist area, but we are penalized for low conversion, even though we can't help that we get many people in the store that are just looking to kill time and don't want to buy anything.

Advice to Management

Please stop it with limiting our hours please, I'm still trying to learn all the copy and print functions, but we only have four people working in my area. We are about to lose our print lead and have no clue if we can fill her position, but the remaining three of us are only supposed to have 24 hours a week each. How am I supposed to learn what I need to without having to use my coworker's free time? I haven't even been taught how to send an order off to the production center or the design team, and we would have lost a BDP account the other day if I hadn't been able to figure out how to sign one up on my own.

5. Highly Recommended

Current Employee - B2B Sales Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - B2B Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Staples

Pros

Great team atmosphere. Great boss. As long as you are performing well, no pressure.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

6. Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Hollis, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Hollis, NY

I have been working at Staples (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Its never about the company its the people you work with

Advice to Management

For me I make it about the people that work for me when you do that they will work for you with no problems . Happy Team make a great working environment.

7. Good Experience

Current Employee - Intern in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Intern in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Staples

Pros

1. Work life balance 2. Freedom to explore possibilities and pursue your interest 3. Has a start up kind of an environment without the pressure though

Cons

1. I have heard people complain about less vacation time but since I was only an intern, i didnt have any vacatiom time.

8. Small Electronic Store

Former Employee - Easy Tech Expert in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Easy Tech Expert in Orange, CA

I worked at Staples full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Slow paced environment that deals with Technology for businesses nearby. Grow and develop sales experience, inventory, and tech repairs. Easy to learn about how a big box business can operate but in small scale. Benefits were good and started after 30 days (FT only)

Cons

Not much room for growth as it struggles to keep up with bigger box businesses. What keeps staples alive is they are huge in the local/small business department with the copy/print center and all around office supplies. Technology/Business machine Dept struggles to keep up in profitability as most people shopping are looking for cheapest deals (of course depending on the area this could be different) Some employees either see this place as a college job (which it's good for) or a place they can pay the bills with and don't care much.

Advice to Management

Have a career development program. One thing retail is missing is finding people that don't realize that retail management can be a successful career. Somehow find a way to open up that idea to them and show them a path through school. what business classes they can look at or seminars. Of course I'm not delusional and know that most employees that are here are young and don't want to be "Lifer" but that's one thing I was getting from Best Buy.

9. Nice PLace

I worked at Staples

Pros

Good Corporate nice people and nice timings

Cons

long hours low pay hard to travel

Advice to Management

hire more people

10. Great company to work for, have to up-sell

Former Employee - Senior Certified Tech in Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Certified Tech in Westborough, MA

I worked at Staples full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, plenty of hours, overtime, minimal supervision, freedom

Cons

Up-selling, meeting quotas, stressful at times, rough customers, in my personal experience the work load got to be too much for one person due to understaffing.

Advice to Management

Don't over work employees/supervisors. Teach better sales techniques instead of reciting mantras all day.

It's Okay

I have been working at Staples part-time

Pros

fun, fast paced, you do your own thing

Cons

low hours, everyone does things different

Advice to Management

Train properly before assuming an associate can just be thrown into the center after only working 20 hrs.

Showing 2,921 of 2,920 reviews