Staples Reviews

2,512 Reviews
Staples Chairman and CEO Ron Sargent
Ron Sargent
1,300 Ratings

Pros
  • Good compensation provided and has a good work-life balance as well (in 49 reviews)

• Good benefits for part time employees and they offer a chance to move up in the company (in 85 reviews)

Cons
  • When "back to school" season hits there is a lot more expected from the employees (in 35 reviews)

• Upper management trickles down horrible attitudes with their horrifying expectations (in 81 reviews)

1. Easy tech superviser

I have been working at Staples

Pros

Fun and easy. Fast paced at times

Cons

dumb metrics anf lousy products

2. General Manager

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Staples

Pros

Good benefits. Hours are good usually got most weekends off.

Cons

Having to sacrifice your stores hours for other stores who couldn't/wouldn't control hours.

3. Tech Associate

Current Employee - EasyTech Associate in Manhasset, NY
    Current Employee - EasyTech Associate in Manhasset, NY

I have been working at Staples part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot about tech and able to improve sales ability and got an inside look about how these types of large corps are run

Cons

Scheduling shifts were often sloppy and wouldnt be known until even right before. Dealing with some of the crazy customers but thats a given.

Advice to Management

Pay lower level workers more

5. Business to Business Consultant

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Staples (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with Staples Advantage for 3 years and I love it. The best thing about my employment with Staples is all the training and development I receive. I have been through more Sales Classes and Leadership courses then I can ever experience in a classroom. Staples has shaped me into a positive leader who knows the value of trust and relationships. Staples promotes from within and I am very lucky to love my job and my career,

Cons

Staples Managers have high expectations for the people they hire

6. Copy Print Associate

Current Employee - Copy & Print Center Associate in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Copy & Print Center Associate in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at Staples part-time

Pros

Different tasks each day, lots of people use self-service, decent pay for the area, schedule for the next 2-3 weeks is put up in advance, opportunities in store to advance.

Cons

Requires a lot of CLEAR communication, can be very stressful, shipping services can be very time consuming. Also, having an inconsistent schedule each week is very annoying.

Advice to Management

Hire more associates that can work together, otherwise it can be easily swamped and not worth the pay and stess, especially for a PART TIME job.

7. Typical Retail Job

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Staples full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Easy job and quick hire.

Cons

low pay, no advancement, no work/life balance due to working weekends, holidays, and being on call but that's typical retail work.

8. It is a very nice place to work but as in every retail store, it depends on how good and nice the manager is.

Current Employee - Copy and Print Associate in Acton, MA
    Current Employee - Copy and Print Associate in Acton, MA

I have been working at Staples part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They have a mature management team.

Cons

Low, low, low pay. They will not let part-timers work more than 25 hours a week because of health insurance firms. They told President Obama that the ACA did not affect it and they were doing this for 10 years. That was when Romney care was instituted and they did not want to offer health insurance to part-time employees. So, it really is because of the health insurance they are playing with technicalities.

9. sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Staples part-time

Pros

10% discount and good coworkers. Friendly environment and good retail and customer service experience.

Cons

Responsibilities are not equal for all employees. A lot of cleaning messes that other employees make and having to take blame because of poor management. You are treated like just another employee until you are deemed "useful", then you are constantly used and never respected.

Advice to Management

Respect the hard working employees and reprimand the lazy ones. It's a manager's job to manage, not the employee's job.

rewarding, but stretched too thin.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beloit, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beloit, WI

I worked at Staples

Pros

There is an abundance of work. If you want to learn something new, the opportunities are there.

Cons

When you show.you are loyal, you end up.getting more tham you can handle, and others are not.held accountable to meet expectations of their role. Raises are not equal to your efforts, and you are not compensated for what you have contributed.

Advice to Management

Those who are loyal and you.value, let them know and pay them accordingly before they leave for better pay. Don't overload your best employees. Get them peers that will share the load instead of passing the buck!

11. It's not terrible

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Monona, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Monona, WI

I have been working at Staples part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have only had one job before this and it was bussing tables. That job was terrible so that's all I have to compare this job to. This job is definitely better than my last. They were relatively understanding of my needs as far as requesting off as I am a busy college student.

Cons

When I say relatively understanding, I'm saying it's not perfect. In the interview they asked me if I wanted to be in office supplies or on the cash register. I replied that I would prefer the office supplies position. I was hired and after a few weeks of learning both positions, I was asked again the same question. I again said I would prefer office supplies. I have now worked here for 7 months and I'd say I've been on register 90% of the time rather than working in office supplies like I wanted. If you're not going to give me a choice, why even ask? Also, they need to understand that when they hire a college student, that student is going to busy doing things like going to school, visiting family for weekends at a time, and oh I don't know, living their life!

Advice to Management

Know who you're hiring and what their needs will be. And after doing so, LISTEN TO WHAT THEY WANT. Upset employees means decreased productivity.