Staples Reviews

Reset
1.0
Staples Chairman and CEO Ron Sargent
Ron Sargent

Pros
  • The work / life balance is generally pretty good (in 49 reviews)

• Part time employees get some benefits (in 85 reviews)

Cons
  • When "back to school" season hits there is a lot more expected from the employees (in 35 reviews)

• Upper management will not allow GM to make management decisions (in 81 reviews)

Stockboy who stocked stuff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Staples (Less than a year)

Pros

There were no benefits at this job

Cons

The girls there were insane and very chatty.

Advice to Management

Hire more men with large heads.

Going down

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Not many with moral being so low.

Cons

There are too many to list but the main ones are an ever decreasing territory for outside sales but plenty of accounts for the low paid inside account reps. Management is clueless to get themselves out of a very bad economy for office products. They try to sell other items but they have whiffed so badly on their categories that they have completely turned off what were dedicated office product customers.

Advice to Management

Hire some top management from Amazon and then fire yourselves. That will be the only way you can stave off them eventually putting Staples out of business.

3. Better pay than most retail, but overworked for salary.

Current Employee - Easy Tech Sales Associate in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Easy Tech Sales Associate in Bristol, CT

I have been working at Staples part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Better minimum pay than other retail companies, it's a good first job for people looking to get their foot in the door for technology jobs

Cons

If you are legally employed as part time, you will NEVER under any circumstance work more than 25 hours a week, the company refuses to allow the associates to work over 25 hours because then they have to offer benefits, and they are to cheap to risk you taking the benefits, so they cut your hours so they don't have to deal with it High pressure sales environment with no commission Disorganized tech service center Overworked; expected to meet high sales expectations while having to stock the floor daily, be a cashier, and perform other departments duties because they are always short handed I feel bad when I'd have to sell certain tech services because they are overpriced, I could do some of those services myself in an hour for 50 dollars

Advice to Management

Get rid of the hour restrictions, it causes massive hate from the associates to the company. Don't have associates doing 3 other job functions. Hire enough people to stop this from happening (which will probably cut the hours even more so it's a lose lose situation.) also give people who work in technology a higher base pay; a couple dollars more an hour would make people less angry about having to do all the other work.

5. Not A Place For Earning A Living Or Quality Treatment

Current Employee - Anonymous Associate
    Current Employee - Anonymous Associate

I have been working at Staples part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The actual employees are a really great group of people. You can pretty much talk to anyone and trust them. - You can build professional skills and creative skills while working in EasyTech or Copy & Print. - The DM is really hands-on and very friendly (definitely not something you'd expect out of most DM's for other businesses). - Opportunity for advancement -- even if it's not within your current store.

Cons

- You cannot expect to be given hours while working for Staples. Staples limits its part-time employees to no more than 25 hours and, to make sure no one hits even 25.01 hours (I'm not kidding about that), they only allow the managers to schedule part-time employees around 22-23 hours at the most (and this is during peak times of the year, mind you). Expect to get anywhere from 10-18 hours and to be warned to not go over no matter what the cost. - Full-Time employees are caught in a terrible place: No breaks because there's so much to do and not enough people or hours to do it. Oftentimes, I've seen full-time employees who arrived at 7 A.M. stay until 6 P.M. They don't get any sort of appreciation for their hard work at all. - If you work in the Copy Center, do not expect to be offered lunch breaks or fifteen minutes breaks. The managers are not trained in the Copy Center and either do not want to or (the more likely scenario) just don't have the time to learn. Employees from around other parts of the store understandably want to avoid the Copy Center because of how rough it can be. Getting a lunch break or a fifteen when working as a Copy Center Associate means risking having the managers interrupt your lunch to either ask you questions or get you to come up to the Copy Center and help out; Getting a lunch break or a fifteen as a Copy Center Associate also means that you are on a tense time schedule. For example, most Office Supplies employees in the store can leave when they're ready to take a break; If no one is there as a dedicated Office Supplies person during that associates break, it's fine. If a Copy Center Associate takes their break, they're usually the very last or the very first person to take their break--and it's usually at the very end of the night or the very beginning of your shift. If you come back right on time, you feel like you've somehow done something horrible to the managers because of the stress they're under. - There is no support from Corporate. Make more happen? Since limiting hours for part-time employees, our customer satisfactions scores have dropped and so has our ability to complete our workload in any reasonable timeframe. To make matters worse, because of the restrictions on hours, there is little overlap between shifts. In the CopyCenter or EasyTech, for example, if there are a lot of details about several orders/jobs/etc that need to be communicated to the employee coming in, those details are likely to be scarce and result in miscommunications, customer's becoming annoyed, and employees calling and texting each other to find out what's going on. - EasyTech is severely understaffed. The EasyTech Supervisor is an awesome worker, but is only one person. Having three other employees, all of which are part-time and two of which have very limited availability, does not help the Supervisor get their job done. - The amount of stress you will endure while working here is unbelievable. There are times when things have been so stressful that I've looked and realized my hands were trembling. - The GM wears their emotions out for everyone to see. If your availability isn't what they need or would like it to be, don't expect them so say much of anything to you at all. - Requests to be trained in other departments fall on deaf ears. - I've seen way too much stress put on management. Managers will come in and be extremely dedicated and hardworking but then the constant stress, ever-increasing (what seems to me to be) bullying, and unrealistic expectations from Corporate put a great strain on the managers--and it shows.

Advice to Management

This is more toward Corporate than our managers at the store: Increase hours allowed for part-time employees. Increase base pay for everyone. If you want to have a company that thrives, you'll need to treat your employees better and give them the ability to earn a living or at least build some sort of savings. Don't ask your employees to put down their lives for their jobs--especially considering you know you aren't paying them what you could and should be paying them.

6. Worse experience ever

Former Employee - Certified Technician in Rancho San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Certified Technician in Rancho San Diego, CA

I worked at Staples part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Corporate was sympathetic to my experience endured working with Staple, but left me with only a consoling pat on the back. No real resolution to my problems with management and the unprofessional work environment they offered.

Cons

• Management was late by an hour to our scheduled hiring interview the first time and a half an hour late to the second interview. • After they told me I was hired it took them three weeks before they called me to sign the final paperwork. • They were unable properly schedule me for the week until 2 days after the schedule had come out. • They rush you through computer training without giving you any time to soak they rules and procedures in. • One computer training said it should only take 30 minutes to complete. However, if you don’t pass the assessment at the end on the first try you will need to take the whole 30 minute training all over again. • I was there for a month and they still hadn’t place an ordered for my work shirt. • Management would commonly use foul language in the break room. • I was hired on at a “certified tech”, but there was no certification exams. I received no technical training, but instead assigned to pulling product from pallets, one half-day training on the cash register, and laser-lining the isles. • I was offered the job with the expectation I was going to receive around 20 - 25 hours a week, but was only allotted an average of 10 hours per week. • I was not scheduled for one week, and management would not return my phone calls as to why or when I would be added on, based upon hearing a rumor that I was looking for employment elsewhere. This was false and they would have known that if they bothered to ask me directly.

Advice to Management

Set proper expectation, communicate with your team one on one if you have any concerns, and fix your training modules to allow for the employee to digest the information they are learning.

7. Toxic eCommerce team

Former Employee - Director of Staff in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Director of Staff in Framingham, MA

I worked at Staples (More than a year)

Pros

Some good work could have been done. Work from home was possible, but not encouraged. Nice campus.

Cons

Zero product lifecycle process. Product management is a complete mess, leadership is sycophantic and only hires friends. Unethical procedures around all corners. Red tape to a point that some purchase orders don't get approved for 12+months and if they do, payment is not assured. A mess, run!!

Advice to Management

Fix technology team and flush the product org, they are your biggest problem.

8. Laid Off for outsourcing after

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Framingham, MA

I worked at Staples (More than 3 years)

Pros

None nothing nada zero blank

Cons

IT Management Stinks, there is no intern training or mentoring

Advice to Management

Stop the BS with your VP's

9. If You Must Work Retail, Look Elsewhere!

I worked at Staples (More than 10 years)

Pros

* It's a paycheck * If you have to move, you can transfer to a different store relatively easily * You can get great deals on items in store

Cons

* Every store is understaffed * You are put physically at risk every day, and threatened if you refuse to do something dangerous * Upper management will throw you under the bus * Schedules are completely variable and are normally only put out for Sunday on Saturday (so no work/life balance) * Will not honor days off requests * Terrible pay * No future career opportunities * Corporate does not take injury, harassment, or racist claims seriously * Too many more to list...

Advice to Management

Treat employees better. Take employee concerns seriously and offer some sort of assistance in the cases of retaliatory actions. Do not set unrealistic expectations for hours allocated for staffing. Offer a safer work environment.

Awful Company

Former Employee - Resident Easy Tech
    Former Employee - Resident Easy Tech

Pros

Flexible schedule that's about it

Cons

Expected to sale and run store operations, closing the store with short staff. Very low pay.

Advice to Management

Burn the place to the ground and start over

Avoid

Former Employee - Easy Tech Expert/Tech Sales Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Easy Tech Expert/Tech Sales Supervisor in Austin, TX

I worked at Staples full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Minimum of 20 words for pros working at staples? I don't have anythung positive to say at all, so let's move on to cons.

Cons

Downsides: salaries are awful, no commission, no bonuses, no incentive to perform well, don't have customers interest as a priority, and warranty sales.

Advice to Management

Focus on making this place a reasonable place to work. People can make more money anywhere and feel more appreciated more trusted and more self sufficient.

Showing 465 of 3,097 reviews