Staples Reviews

2,534 Reviews
Staples Chairman and CEO Ron Sargent
Ron Sargent
1,301 Ratings

Pros
  • Good compensation provided and has a good work-life balance as well (in 49 reviews)

• Good benefits for part time employees and they offer a chance to move up in the company (in 85 reviews)

Cons
  • When "back to school" season hits there is a lot more expected from the employees (in 35 reviews)

• Upper management trickles down horrible attitudes with their horrifying expectations (in 81 reviews)

1. cashier

I have been working at Staples

Pros

Good team members to work with.

Cons

No benefits. Not very many hours available if you're part time.

2. Certified Easytech

I have been working at Staples part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Anything positive about working for this company ended within the past 6 months. Before that it was a great starting experience and managers rewarded effort and successes.

Cons

The pay is awful, hours are limited due to the new laws but the amount of work that is expected to be completed is the same amount with half the time to do so. Corporate apparently does not allocate enough hours to keep stores properly staffed. Most of the remaining management in my area is incompetent.

Advice to Management

Stop abusing your employees. Bring pay more in line with industry averages and stop forcing the few employees that each store has to overwork themselves during the few hours we are allowed to work.

Terrible management and coworkers

I have been working at Staples

Pros

there is a flexible schedule for students

Cons

people are forced to work off the clock, threats of writeups, verbal abuse from management, unrealistic expectations for time, too much work expected for such little pay, looked down on if you do not work for free, off the clock.

Advice to Management

get it together, learn how to manage. yelling is not managing

5. General manager

Current Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Build business relationships with BDP and b2b customers as well as benefits for full time employees. Part-time flexability available for department associates.

Cons

Poor upper management, direction and priorities change on a weekly basis. No connection to many of its other services like kiosk or staples advantage which put you in a bad situation with customers on a daily basis. Way too many processes for the same actions very repeatitive, without any clear result. Very disorganized as far as goals or potential to move up. Recently changed staffing model and recruit much lower quality of candidates than in the past.

Advice to Management

Best of luck with the merger, focus ofn associates and doing right by them, they are a direct result of what you can achieve. If you are constantly degrading and belittling your part timers which make up most of your building that will be the type of result you get.

6. easy tech expert

I worked at Staples full-time

Pros

get to work with computers and newest technology

Cons

didn't get compensated for the amount of work they wanted

Advice to Management

work with your employeed

7. The worst retailer to work for.

Former Employee - Team Leader in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I worked at Staples

Pros

From a very personal angle, my work colleagues were my only reason for not simply never going back. We were all in the same boat and supported each other constantly, despite constantly being beaten down by the company.

Cons

- In two years there, I may have had one correct pay cheque.
    - Hours were taken at the drop of a hat.
    - No loyalty what-so-ever.
    - I was in management training, however was informed towards the end of my time there, that they had held me back because they wanted me at the store. Progression is highly unlikely to occur.
    - Minimum Wage.
    - Poor hours, and rotas that are constantly changing, the majority of the time only being created the week before, and with whole new shifts being implemented without warning (such as 6.30am starts rather than 7.30am starts - with no consultation).
    - Management, and I am talking about district managers and head office now, are absolutely appalling. Incompetence would, quite honestly, be an understatement. Not only do they have no understanding of working on a shop floor, when you try to inform them of a problem, they either have no idea what to do or group together and become very defensive and abusive.
    -The management (a mixture of district managers and store managers) are nothing less than bullies.
    - Even after leaving the company, they refused to pay me overtime that they owed (despite me having proof printed from a manager at the store) and only paid when I started legal action.
    - There are no benefits given. The pension is poor, there are no bonuses, and the discount is worthless.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff, the store won't run without them. Learn some loyalty and respect. The abuse given by many of the managers, in all areas, that I encounted during my time with the company was nothing less than disgusting. Sort out the hours and, if someone wants to progress and deserves it, train them and pay them more.

8. Office Supply

I worked at Staples part-time

Pros

Great for college students or a person looking for a part-time job. easy interview process

Cons

does not pay well compared to other similar chains. and if you want to move up, just brown-nose with the general manager.

9. It used to be a Great Job. Not so much anymore.

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Non I can think of anymore

Cons

As a GM you are required to work open to close 6 and 7 days a week. even when you take vacation you are constantly on call and required to attend any and all conference calls or webex.
    The company is taking more and more resources and labor from the stores and expecting the better performance (sales results) than the year before when we had over 150+ more hours a week of labor. Many GM's new and tenured are looking for new jobs.

Advice to Management

Take a close look at how your top performing regional VP's and District Managers are treating the GM's and store level associates. They only want to be ranked #1 no matter what the cost.....We are constantly being threatened to be fired and treated like we are worthless and replaceable.... so You can keep replacing all the great people.

10. Team Supervisor

I have been working at Staples part-time

Pros

Excellent store management and district management

Cons

Corporate policies leave much to be desired

11. Micromanaged, unclear direction, inconsistent program rollouts

Former Employee - Staples General Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Staples General Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Staples full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good for full time only, available to any full time after 90 days. Somewhat standard. Flexible scheduling available to part time associates

Cons

As a GM I was advised to do many unethical things in regards to part time associates and "managing out" people at their discretion. Poor leadership/upper management direction resulting in a bit of chaos. Priorities change weekly, severely misappropriating funds away for stores to push omni/online division directly effecting customer satisfaction. HR department is a joke, scared of their own shadow repeatedly direct managers to go against policy when it's to their benefit.

Advice to Management

Figure out a direction and stick with it, do not under value your associates or managers. Figure out how to properly run a HR department, emails get lost between your "business partners", dedicate a business partner to give better direction.