Staples

2.9 1,858 reviews

Staples Chairman and CEO Ron Sargent

Ron Sargent

(1,017 ratings)

Pros
  • Good compensation provided and has a good work-life balance as well (in 42 reviews)

• This is a decent job if you are post-high school, or need something part-time while in college (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • When "back to school" season hits there is a lot more expected from the employees (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management had no idea what the needs of the stores needs were (in 68 reviews)

More Highlights
1,858 Employee Reviews

not recommended

Operations Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

Prospeople are nice, customers made my day

Consupper management doesn't care, they have a attitude of execute the first time, you wear a target on your back, too much pressure in selling performance plans, people don't want poor pay, long hours, no growth.

Advice to Senior Managementwalk a day or two in their shoes…….. higher pay, treat people fairly, you will get more out of them. I remember once a DM said oh you will be working 40 hours, a week then you can enjoy your home life, yeah right, 50 to 60 hours a week or more, no breaks no lunches. held accountable for sales

Too much on Techs

Staples EasyTech Expert (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsOccasionally meet interesting people as customers, other associates can be interesting as well. Other than that it's nothing at all to write home about. It was a much better place to work back in New Jersey

ConsEverything. They rely on the easytech department for anything and everything. They don't train or assist well. It's a bad place

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat associates with respect. Work with them

Lots of stress for very little pay

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsSome of the people at Staples are fantastic and are still very big parts of my life. Some great customers as well.

ConsThe direction of the company is all over the place. New systems and ideas are implemented regularly but done so in a half arsed manner causing them to fail routinely.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

That was not easy.

EasyTech Associate (Former Employee) Howell, MI

ProsThere really wasn't any pros to working here at all. The sales staff was very friendly and I made some really good friends. HP events are really fun to go to as a store.

ConsThis was the worst place I have ever worked in my entire life. Management was a complete joke. I was the only girl in the store that was NOT aloud to wear make up (not even simple makeup). I was an Easy Tech and I was supposed to get jobs done in a timely manner, but when I installed a power supply for a customer while the customer was still in the store, I got in deep trouble because I let him watch me - He was genuinely curious as to how his computer worked and it means a lot to me to help people learn about them. I had to stock everything in the electronics side with no help every stock day even though the supplies side had at least 3-4 people on stock day. Always had to try and sell as many accessories as you could if you sold someone a computer. If you didn't, you were reprimanded, you know, because its not good enough to just sell a laptop. Also, they do not pay their Easy Techs enough. I worked in two locations. In Tennessee I was paid $5.25 an hour and in Michigan I was paid minimum which was around $7 at the time. And I am certified on many levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your stuff together. Communicate better with everyone, including other managers. Your company makes employees feel like poop at the end of the day when their shift is over. I felt like the management at this particular location was against me because of my interests outside of work.

Expected

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsThe people I worked with are still good friends tooday

ConsIts retail. Everything is expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementShut down. This place is horrible

Unethical & illegal business practices

Computer Technician (Former Employee) Newbury Park, CA

ProsI was allowed to use my own software, as what is provided in-store is woefully inadequate.

ConsStore Manager asked me to perform fraction of work that customer paid for on new computer setups and also gave out my personal information to a stalker. Paid fifty cents above minimum wage - not commensurate with market value of position as computer technician.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ask Easy Tech Technicians to assist with selling stationary, while computers are waiting to be fixed. Educate store managers to not give out employees schedules to stalkers. Pay computer technicians percentage of income produced in their department; the disparity of what is paid and true market value is far too great.

Terrible Company

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsThe only good thing I can think of is the employee stock purchasing program. There is also good eye care but that's it for benefits.

ConsThere is no room for advancement within the company. They would rather bring in managers from outside the company with no experience. Poor benefits, poor wages and even poorer wage increases a quarter is a high raise for them. Call center jobs are moving to India, Stores are closing and long time employees are being let go so cheaper employees can be brought in.

Terrible!

Not By Choice (Current Employee)

ProsThere are times when they do attempt to be flexible with their employees.

ConsThey are short changing their employees. They don't believe in adequately compensating their employees. and will do unbelievable things like provide 2 way radios and renovate stores but won't pay their employees a decent wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be more interested in investing in their employees, pay them a decent wage and be concerned with grooming and developing the talents of the employees they have instead of only focusing on making a quick buck. They have a lot of talent that is going to waste due to corporate greed. Staples has the potential of being a fantastic company to work for.

Run, don't walk

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone that I can think of. The coma only lacks any type of clear direction at this time.

ConsUpper management is clueless as to what's going on in the field. Initiatives are designed and redesigned at a moments notice. Frankly, they're running scared due to Wall St pressures.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to field. They speak volumes as to the true state of the organization. Return your bonuses as a step in the right direction of calming an uneasy staff. The feeling of being threatened with your job is beginning to be demoralizing.

Mostly good people, unfortunately company has lost it's way and grasping for straws

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat networking that can lead to future employment. They have a pretty good sales culture which you can take with you to any sales job. They are always hiring

ConsThey run on such a small payroll during most of the year. It's impossible to get everything done. So much work delegated to only a handful of employees while the rest watch. NO cohesion between departments

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement overworked and over stressed waiting for the final ax to fall. This company needs to find it's way or it has no chance. It's a shame because it was a great company with great direction.

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!