Staples Reviews

2,449 Reviews
Staples Chairman and CEO Ron Sargent
Ron Sargent
1,271 Ratings

Pros
  • Good compensation provided and has a good work-life balance as well (in 49 reviews)

• Good benefits for part time employees and they offer a chance to move up in the company (in 85 reviews)

Cons
  • When "back to school" season hits there is a lot more expected from the employees (in 35 reviews)

• Upper management trickles down horrible attitudes with their horrifying expectations (in 81 reviews)

1. If you can handle it, great place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Staples

Pros

Hard work is recognized, easy to move up if you ask for it and prove your worth. (Just know the right people to ask and don't be bashful). A lot of P/T associates care about their job and make the managers job doable. There are Staples all over the country, moving and keeping your job is pretty easy. This can be a great career job for some, and a great stepping stone job for others. If you don't like to work and have pride in your day to day, then a security job is a better fit for you where you can sit around all day and twirl your thumbs.

Cons

When a store has poor management, it can be miserable to work there. When a store has poor employees it's also miserable. A lot of employees don't think they are paid enough, some of them are right and some are just lazy. New programs are brought in very quickly and with a lot of pressure from upper management which can be OK if a store has good management and follows best practices.

Take care of your quality employees, quickly! Don't make them wait because they either leave or turn into employees who don't care and don't see a point anymore. Give internal promotions the same pay levels as external hires. Pay out commissions if you want to boost sales. Don't let managers get away with not following company policies and best practices, one bad apple creates other bad apples.

2. Contract Sales

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Staples

Pros

Big company with many benefits

Cons

Big company that can be very inflexible and not customer centric

Have the customer come first and always and the revenue will follow.

3. Market leader in office supplies

Current Employee - BDM in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - BDM in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Staples

Pros

Very progressive company.... Good prospects to grow and move within the company

Cons

Lack of support at sometimes from the specialists

Focus more on ground realities while setting up the policies

5. No consideration for employees.

Current Employee - EasyTech Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - EasyTech Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Staples part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent hourly wage for a student.

Cons

Tech Associate forced to do commissioned sales and work unreasonable hours.

Take students school hours into consideration. Work with school schedules and you'll have loyal employees.

6. Not good

Former Employee - Customer Service Lead
    Former Employee - Customer Service Lead

I worked at Staples full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Learned a lot about computers. Worked for some great managers. However they were outnumbered by the bad ones.

Cons

Continually changing managers as well as store closings throughout district. This created a surplus of displaced employees Moving up was difficult. Second you may not want to move up because assistant managers were replaced regularly. Very few were promoted to manager. My store went through 14 GM, 20 Assistant, and 8 district managers in 14 years. It is a must to sell extended warranties. You get written up and eventually fired if you don't perform. In the last two years, the manager fired and hired 50+ employees. I was one of 3 that voluntarily quit.

Stop creating a hostile environment. If you really value your associates and management, you will find a way to retain them. It seems like the only way you feel you can make profit is to sell extended warranties. As electronic and furniture prices go down, your warranties go up. You have closed many stores since I left, and it looks like there will be many more. Employees are leaving this company in droves. You need to refocus what is important to you if you want your stores to run efficiently. However, I am believing that you really don't care about your stores. You seem to be more focused in closing them all and only maintaining an internet presence.

7. Garbage Company with Sub-Garbage Pay and Practices for the working class!

Current Employee - Easy Tech
    Current Employee - Easy Tech

I have been working at Staples part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

50% off clearance sometimes, plus 10% employee discount, so you can get some stuff really cheap and sell it online to supplement the poverty level income you make working at Staples!

Cons

Limit hours of all employees so they don't have to pay them full time benefits like the average service worker in this country deserves. Bloated salaries at the very top, Assistant GM's barely make of $40k and they run the stores. General Managers on upwards make double, it's insane. District Managers have daily conference calls which consist of an hour of ranting. This company now operates by stepping on backs of its newly created class of poor part time workers and just racks in billions.

Pay your employees a living wage with benefits and stop spending so high at the top where the "decisions" are made.

8. Exhausting.

Current Employee - Staples EasyTech Expert
    Current Employee - Staples EasyTech Expert

I have been working at Staples

Pros

I got to learn about new technology products

Cons

*Heavy sales atmosphere with no commission.

*They expect you to sell 5 phones a week but they only carry Verizon wireless and they never advertise that they carry phone to help with sales.

*Management talks to you like you're less than.

* The training is horrible because they're always understaffed so everyone is just thrown into whatever position they have And forced to produce sales with minimal knowledge and when you get combative they shut you down like it's your fault.

* Their Matrix system for computer repairs is very difficult to work with because if the computer requires someone to physically work on it you're reprimanded by management. Which results into a write up.

Only copy center gets bonuses for sales .

Have more sales initiatives for the employees so they'll be more excited to produce numbers .

Take the employees suggestions so that everyone can have a productive day.

Don't point fingers before you know who is responsible .

25 cent yearly pay increases for all that you guys expect is ridiculous. ..

If you're going to require people to request a day off 2 weeks in advance then you should have a schedule produced 2 weeks in advanced not made out Thursday right before the start of a new week.. not everyone

9. pretty fun, as long as you do your work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Staples

Pros

chill management, easy work, customer service

Cons

management, long hours, alot of overtime

move people up or give better raises for work.

Laziest Managers I've Ever Worked With

Former Employee - Copy Center Associate
    Former Employee - Copy Center Associate

I worked at Staples part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I absolutely loved many of my coworkers. We aw still great friends even though we no longer work together. My regular customers were also a great support system because they constantly detested the lack of good working conditions at the store and provided me with insight on what else is out there. To be perfectly honest, I also really appreciate the skill set I obtained from working in the copy center. Every day there was something new to learn and it kept things interesting.

Cons

The managers were awful about giving people breaks. If you didn't get a break or lunch, they often wouldn't notice or wouldn't care. There was also a manager trainee at the store for awhile who refused to give anyone in the copy center a break of any sort because she wasn't trained in that department. It is also very clear that people are promoted based on what the manager hears about them from others or if they are good friends with the manager. She NEVER leaves the office. She never makes sure her employees are happy or cares to make sure things are running smoothly. How can you possibly know when your employees and managers are doing their job when you stay in the office all day? She's also very good at blaming everyone else when things aren't done but rarely pitches in to help. She just sits in the office and barks orders over the radio. The people who are promoted to manager or supervisor positions are unqualified and lacking the characteristics of good managers in that when there is an issue with a customer, they expect the employee to handle it and often don't come to their aid. I've also had several customers tell me they do not appreciate the managers' attitudes but still come back for the good customer service from employees. It is apparent how bad the working conditions are here because in my year and half with this company, a total of 54 employees quit at my store. Barely anyone who was there when I started is still there today.

Plan out when you're going to give your employees breaks so that they don't need to constantly ask you. Because of your inability to actual MANAGE people, your employees often went without breaks. Also, stop making friends with your employees because it makes your favoritism more apparent. You lose so many quality employees because of your poor management skills.

11. Developed me more in four years than previous four years of sales training at other companies.

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Staples

Pros

Manager wasn't a boss, she was a leader. True strategic guidance and challenger-sale style selling. Learned my role and the one above me, which lead to promotion to area sales manager. Opportunity to participate in Rising Stars program, Management training program, and had exposure to key leaders in the organization. Great team, that was truly close. Commission potential is there, when you perform.

Cons

Constant change - you have to be flexible. Office supplies is competitive and margin is squeezed; you have to be willing to sell around that to make great commission. Poor communication between divisions and teams - we can work to create better synergy.

Better top down communication. Roll out of programs and initiatives is like a fire drill, then it tapers off and the message is lost.