Staples

2.9 1,834 reviews

Staples Chairman and CEO Ron Sargent

Ron Sargent

(1,006 ratings)

Pros
  • Good compensation provided and has a good work-life balance as well(in 42 reviews)

• This is a decent job if you are post-high school, or need something part-time while in college(in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management had no idea what the needs of the stores needs were(in 68 reviews)

• When "back to school" season hits there is a lot more expected from the employees(in 28 reviews)

1,834 Employee Reviews

Good Work environment

Clerk (Current Employee) Newark, OH

Prosgood associates, get to know retail environment, aka good deals and etc, good experience. Most managers are nice.
    rare occurrences.
    program to cover some school costs (books) as long as still working there, etc.

Conslow pay
    a lot of work, goals to accomplish/meet expectations
    other companies pay more for same position
    you can get insurance they have a plan for (not sure if that good, (takes payments for so not freebie). 401k plan you can get part of your paycheck toward, not separate.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost managers are great but one seems tempered

Really enjoyed the company, not so much the positions I worked.

Staples Advantage Consultant (Former Employee) Hanover, MD

ProsGreat benefits, fun and friendly atmosphere in the corporate office. Corporate was very helpful in relocating me within the company when I moved out of state.

ConsDid not enjoy working on the contract side of the business. Too many people involved in the contract division to get simple tasks done.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess micromanaging.

Copy & Print Supervior

Copy & Print Center Supervisor (Current Employee) College Point, NY

Prosfun work place, great people to work with, easy work environment, flexible work hours

Consnot very great pay, training can use some help, hard to move up in company

Advice to Senior Managementwould take more time training

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too much work, too little pay! Crappy insurance.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Framingham, MA

Prossome great people work there

ConsHigh turn over. Jobs keep getting more and more work and no overtime to do what is needed or extra money. Managers make many employees feel like second class citizens. When you apply for a job HR can decide if they think you have any experience even if they have no clue what your job entails and your resume will never be seen. Horrid insurance, some DR's will not accept our insurance.

Advice to Senior Managementtake a heart check and find out what is really going on. Don't ask in team meetings because no one will speak up! Staples has a soul but no heart to their employees. I have see many layoffs right before Christmas.

Expected

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsThe people I worked with are still good friends tooday

ConsIts retail. Everything is expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementShut down. This place is horrible

Used to Be Easy, Now Make More Happen

EasyTech Associate (Current Employee)

ProsBest introductory retail experience/opportunity out there. Great flexibility with other jobs/personal life and good company standards. Customer loyalty and satisfaction are the name of the game. Fun job especially for self-motivated/determined.

ConsChanges at corporate level are mixing things up as they try to boost sales. Occasional unrealistic expectations. Little sales incentive for the unmotivated. Sometimes feels as if you're doing too much / everything in the entire store all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider logistics scheduling, consider incentive options to boost sales/lower turnover, ensure good staffing levels.

Wonderful

Staples Easy Tech (Current Employee) Phila, PA

ProsLoved working there, learned alot bout computers including how to fix them, update them, mantain themm etc.

ConsDIdnt really have any issues execpt for customers, alot were rude and thought they knew more than i did.

Stressful job with very few perks

Easy Tech Expert (Current Employee) Studio City, CA

ProsStaff are fun, you learn how to deal with customers.

ConsManagers don't do their jobs, and force staff to do more than their pay grade.
    Pay is terrible.
    Staff turn around is crazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep on the staff you already have instead of creating an expendable work force.

Mediocre.

Copy Center Associate (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Proseasy enough place to work, great place to work and go to school.

Consnot a lot of training, the mangers can be difficult at times they ask you do a lot but pay you very little

Unethical & illegal business practices

Computer Technician (Former Employee) Newbury Park, CA

ProsI was allowed to use my own software, as what is provided in-store is woefully inadequate.

ConsStore Manager asked me to perform fraction of work that customer paid for on new computer setups and also gave out my personal information to a stalker. Paid fifty cents above minimum wage - not commensurate with market value of position as computer technician.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ask Easy Tech Technicians to assist with selling stationary, while computers are waiting to be fixed. Educate store managers to not give out employees schedules to stalkers. Pay computer technicians percentage of income produced in their department; the disparity of what is paid and true market value is far too great.

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!