Staples Reviews

2,066 Reviews

Staples Chairman and CEO Ron Sargent
Ron Sargent
1,107 Ratings

Pros
  • Good compensation provided and has a good work-life balance as well (in 45 reviews)

• Good benefits for part time employees and they offer a chance to move up in the company (in 83 reviews)

Cons
  • When "back to school" season hits there is a lot more expected from the employees (in 35 reviews)

• Upper management had no idea what the needs of the stores needs were (in 80 reviews)

More Highlights

team supervisor

Former Employee - Team Supervisor in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Team Supervisor in Bronx, NY

I worked at Staples part-time (more than an year)

Pros

opportunity for growth in the company

Cons

too many expectations and responsibilities for low pay

give your employees better wages and show them that they are valued and appreciated

Sales Assocate....That was easy.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Staples part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked as a sales associate starting in high school and all through college.For me the job was only for spending money while in school, The job mostly consisted of stocking shelves, helping customers find whatever item they needed, cashiering etc. If I sold one attachment a day, I did a "great" job. I worked about 15-20 hours a week during school and usually 30-35 during the summer.

The best thing I can say is that after leaving this job and reflecting is that it is so incredibly easy and laid back.. I worked in two stores over almost 4 years, and never had a bad manager. Mostly, they were laid back and friendly and understood that you can only expect so much from someone making minimum wage. A job like this can really drag on when there's nothing to do, so I always kept busy to make the time go by quick and never had an issue with managers except for the occasional call outs for parties, concerts or anything on a monthly basis more worthwhile than $30 for working 4-10p on friday.

In retail there are always a few weirdos and jerks, but overall the people I worked with were great and made a rather monotonous and boring job entertaining. I will tell you the gossip can seriously be worse than any teenage social clique you can imagine: When it's not you it's hysterical, and when you're the focus of the gossip expect to be teased for the week. Expect your manager to call you a fool dating the new cashier you dated for a month, then shake their head when you do it again or give you an hour to go home and shower because you came straight from the party to your 7:30AM Saturday morning shift, stinking of cheap liquor.

Cons

Terrible pay.
    Don't recall any benefits.
    While rare, a bad manager could make this job hell.

Reward employees more, and by that i mean COMMISSION AND COMPENSATION aka $. With minimum wage, even an extra $1-$2 hourly incentive for meeting performance goals can increase productivity, make employees more satisfied and lead to a better customer experience. I couldn't believe there were no employee discounts as this actually encourages the people who spend more time than any customer in the store to buy your products.

I felt like I was losing my soul while I worked there because I thought that the job was so terrible. Now that I have actual responsibilities and I am building my career, working at Staples was simply a way to get some spending money.

Wonderful Start to a Career

Former Employee - B2B Sales Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - B2B Sales Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Staples full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It would have been a fantastic job to start my career or as a second job. I recommend it to most in regards to personal professional development

Cons

Unfortunately the ceiling is really low. If there was an opportunity to grow, this company could be a career place. But if you are great, it's very likely that you will move on.

Listen to the front lines to make changes... not be dictated by the shareholders.

Decent company, same general ups and downs as most retail chains.

Former Employee - Electronics Associate Then EasyTech (II Different Stores) in Roseville, CA

I worked at Staples full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent customer base (most of the time), usually high quality product, company cares about the presentation and quality of the store without forgetting customer service, mostly helpful coworkers and even managers at times

Cons

The other side of the coin is that when the manager isn't very good, it's usually VERY VERY VERY bad. Uncaring about the customers, employees, or the store, very self interested. I experienced managers like this both in store and at the district level. The district manager hardly knew anything about the company it seemed. Great managers do exist in Staples, but when they're bad, they're bad.

Create a more strict manager training program. Don't promote someone to manager (assistant, store, district, any really) then let them have free reign. Hold managers more accountable.

A very good company, but struggling to survive with the internet.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager

I worked at Staples full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Company is willing to invest in the future.

Cons

Very poor management communications process.

great place to work

I have been working at Staples

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

need to improve on communication

Great place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Staples full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very happy working for Staples - great people and lots of opportunity to climb the corporate ladder. Many people in leadership positions willing to mentor others.

Cons

Too much to do, too little time.

Good part time job

Former Employee - Team Supervisor
    Former Employee - Team Supervisor

I worked at Staples part-time (less than an year)

Pros

God hours, okay pay. Enjoyed the people I was working with as well as the upper management.

Cons

A lot of changing hours, difficult to get in touch with certain upper management about specific parts.

No advice

Too much pressure

Former Employee - Cashier in Pittsfield, MA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Pittsfield, MA

I worked at Staples part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fellow employees and management were generally nice.

Cons

I didn't like the pressure to sell, especially when I wasn't really knowledgeable on whatever it was.

The Easy Tech Services Are Expensive and Sometimes Unecessary

Current Employee - Easy Certified Technician
    Current Employee - Easy Certified Technician

I have been working at Staples part-time

Pros

Staples is a great place to work if you're a student. They are flexible when it comes to scheduling.

Mostly everybody that works at the Centerville store is friendly and the atmosphere is laid-back.

College scholarships are available after working at Staples for approximately one year.

Cons

The Certified Technician role is a sales role in disguise.

Diagnostics scans are performed with software that is either free or easily obtainable by anyone. Most of our Easy Tech services are provided to people above the age of 40.

$40.00 to install RAM? SMH

I sold a system recovery today which cost someone $130.00 and consisted of me formatting their hard drive and installing Windows 8.1. Is that really worth $130.00?

Staples has been in the copy & print business for 25 years but has only been in the computer repair business for 5 years -- and it shows.

Micromanagement

There is one coworker, at the Centerville store, that is lazy and will try to get others to pick up the slack for work they are responsible for completing -- it's starting to become annoying.

I wouldn't recommend making a long-term career at Staples. I have only worked at this store for a short period of time, but I can see this place becoming soul crushing over the long-term.

Staples is a dog. Staples has closed 3 other stores in my area and 255 stores across the nation.
    With competition from Amazon, Alibaba, and other online vendors, Staples offers services that are becoming quickly obsolete and/or merchandise that can be obtained more cheaply elsewhere by the customer. Staples needs to think about or reevaluate future plans to stay competitive.