Staples Reviews in Sea Girt, NJ

1,983 Reviews

Staples Chairman and CEO Ron Sargent
Ron Sargent
1,066 Ratings

Pros
  • Good compensation provided and has a good work-life balance as well (in 42 reviews)

• This is a decent job if you are post-high school, or need something part-time while in college (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • When "back to school" season hits there is a lot more expected from the employees (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management had no idea what the needs of the stores needs were (in 68 reviews)

More Highlights

1 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A decent place to work, with some serious problems

Current Employee - Resident Easy Tech  in  Sea Girt, NJ
    Current Employee - Resident Easy Tech in Sea Girt, NJ

I have been working at Staples

Pros

You get to do everything in the store so you're never bored.
    Management is fairly young, sometimes too young, but very cool.
    Prices are decent compared to everything else.
    Massive amount of customers/business.
    Devoted Techs who are willing to lose their job if it means one customer walks out of the store happy.

Cons

There is a lot of confusion about the management hierarchy.

The EasyTech department only has one real lead, and he is also a sales manager, so if he is off and I have a question, I'm outta luck.

I have not received any sales training on the floor for selling warranties/etc, even though I have asked several times.

In fact, I have not received any real training at all; I just figured everything out. The computer trainings are a joke.

Some employees will refuse to do anything outside their jurisdiction.

Many times we won't have enough employees in certain areas, so there will be employees diverted from other sections leaving a large zone uncovered.

Communication between techs is practically non-existent; we do not work as the team we are supposed to be. The safest way is to never pass work onto another tech, which is ridiculous.

Tech area is laughably small. Tools provided are completely inadequate, forcing us to go down some "shady" routes to obtain decent software. One tech at a time scheduled, also contributing to the communication breakdown.

Tech area isn't located in a suitable place for work either. Technically, our techs are doing floor work, customer service, and techwork all at once. We should be getting paid more.

No central database of problems/solutions encountered from other ET Staples. Google is the only option. Staples should have a contract with a call center for advanced software/hardware problems, too.

No commission on sales. So why aren't we getting paid more if Staples is getting more money?

Everything must be approved by corporate, it seems. And good luck ever getting to sit down and talk to the District or Regional Managers about their intentions. All you hear about is what you did wrong after they visit, not what you did right.

Several of the tech services, like backing up stuff, is too intensive and time-consuming. Lots of money/hours wasted with people returning their computers because we missed one file that wasn't even mentioned.

If you try and sit down with the customer for more than 15 minutes to explain everything you did, you get yelled at for it by management.

There is NO outside support for customers who have purchased services (unless they purchase piece of mind). Why not a forum, at least? We are not allowed to do tech support over the phone in the store. A large portion of returns are simply misunderstandings about where stuff went or how to use their computer. We get tons of calls from people who need help with their devices, and we try the best we can, but anything past 5 minutes is apparently overkill.

The marketing is so confusing for protection plans. There is barely any documentation except some one page brochures. This is where Best Buy excels.

There are literally about 40 services I think listed in the ETech catalog, but out of those, I'd say maybe less than 10 are used. Why aren't we doing the Online Remote Support Service? Why don't we push the 1 hour tutorials? Why don't we charge hourly if a customer wants a full run through of their computer?
    You can ask these questions over and over again and you'll never get an answer.

Priority on tech is messed up a bit. We're supposed to work down the list like a robot, so if there are 5 diagnostics and then 10 PC Tune Ups under them, it might take 3 days for those tune ups to get done.

Hardware diagnostics are overdone. Memory and hard drive should be tested, then if none of them can be replaced, out for depot repair.

The way we are rated only counts if they rate a 5. 1,2,3,4s don't count towards the final rating. Unrealistic expectations about the Tech CSAT score makes people angry when they don't get what they want, which is then taken out on the techs.

Hours change based on how much tech work was done. A bad week could mean 11 hours. The best week I've had was 30 hours.

Lots of finger-pointing and blaming others; hardly anyone takes responsibility for a problem (except the managers).

EasyTech needs more money pushed into it in order to generate a decent profit for the company.
    Training needs to be scrapped and redone.
    Policies need to be relaxed about communication with customers.
    Employees should meet with the regional/district managers (or at least get a memo every few months) detailing specifically where their department is going and how they are going to do it.
    EasyTechs should work at least two days in a row before a day off, to ensure the computers they took in get done.
    ETs should also have email addresses that can be used to address simple support questions.
    All ETs should memorize BestBuy and other competitors plans and prices, and know how to convince a customer to stay with Staples.

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!