Star2Star Communications Reviews

Norman Worthington

1. Enjoying it so far

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Star2Star Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working here for a few months now and have really been enjoying it. A lot of people willing to help.

Cons

Have seen quite a few people leave in my short time. The training was almost non existent

Advice to Management

Work on retention, add more training

2. Billing Specialist

Pros

They are great to work for. They have a Keurig coffee maker and flavored creamers. There is also ice for the water. You get one free soda at lunch time. I love the people I am working with and my job. So happy to be here!

Cons

none I can think of

3. Star2Star Communications

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

Pros

- Flexible Hours - Good Q4 sales bonuses - some of best and brightest colleagues I've ever worked with - Awesome product

Cons

- Poor Executive Management Team - Extremely difficult to work with ( accounting, billing, commissions) - Changes toward improvement takes too long and implementation is poor - lacks systems for success

Advice to Management

Executive team needs to empower people and show more respect

5. Channel Manager

I worked at Star2Star Communications full-time

Pros

The Technology is pretty good. They have a good idea.

Cons

S2S stretches the truth on their accomplishments and there are alot of functionality that they dont have that most systems do have. They simply skirt around this issue. The back end support of the company is horrible. The real problem is management. There is NO HR department and people get away with anything there. The company is run like a mom and pop shop and all they care about is bringing on new partners because they cant hold onto their current partners. It is all about Luring companies into training in a city. We have technology that can circumvent the need to spend thousands of dollars to travel to a city to hear Executives talk down to owners and execs from other companies.

Advice to Management

You have a good product. Work to make your current Partners successful. Work to get BETTER and Bigger partners, not one man shops. When you push and micromanage people on a daily basis you burn them out and force them to bring in partners just to hit a number. Be strategic and go after partners that will grow your business. You cant because most of those will see through the company. Sell the Technology as soon as you get an offer. Also pay your people better. Your Managers state that you expect them to work 60+ hours a week, and travel 3-4 days out of the week.. and you pay them less than someone can make at Quiktrip.

6. Embarrassing Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Star2Star Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Cost of benefits -Some of the people not in management

Cons

Please apply if you: -Love a company with corporate culture masquerading as a "startup" -Love being told how much of an "opportunity" you are getting in lieu of a competitive salary (seen this happen with about 20+ applicants over the course of a year) -Being hired for a role and then put in a completely unrelated role of the job description you applied for even though you aren't qualified -Love extremely long product cycles where you barely ship anything because gears are switched for the direction of the product literally every week just because "a customer asked us for it" -Love the word "innovative", the phrase "eat our own dog food" and other meaningless startup jargon that's not even applicable to whatever discussion you might be having -Love terrible florescent lighting and hate windows or any natural light whatsoever (it's an old hangar) -Love favoritism among employees by management -Love a CEO who makes up acronyms and can't communicate ideas clearly (oh, the irony of being CEO of a communications company) -Love a company blind to great culture in the tech industry and chooses to ignore it The list goes on and on. The culture is almost one of the worst I've seen and I've worked for quite a few tech companies. The level of denial...maybe even delusion here is outstanding and should be studied by research professionals.

Advice to Management

Start over

7. Account Manager

I have been working at Star2Star Communications full-time

Pros

Relaxed work environment If employees see an area of the company that they feel they can improve, they are encouraged to take initiative and present a solution Company is growing and is gaining a foothold within the industry

Cons

Mid and long term goals of the company are not articulated to employees You do not always feel part of a team, working towards a common goal. Day to day activities can start to feel myopic Pay is lower than the industry average The on boarding and training were less than stellar (have both been improved as of late)

Advice to Management

Encourage mid-level management to engage in team building exercises and to check in more regularly with employees, i.e. performance reviews, lunch-n-learns, etc Invest in existing employees by offering more skills-based training

8. Great Company!

Pros

- Great work environment - Tools/technology to do my job are excellent - Management and really friendly - Training has been awesome, i feel very comfortable doing my job. - Insurance is affordable. - Work environment is very clean. - Different Lunch trucks comes everyday which is a perk.

Cons

- No yearly pay raises ( at least i don't think so ) - Even with previous exp, i still received the lowest starting pay but it is way better than some other big companies offer.

Advice to Management

Offer job leveling up to certain departments. Some people don't mind being a level 1, the work is easy and steady. Some people want to be a level 3, gain that extra knowledge, work harder, become SME's.

9. Shooting star whose best days are behind it

Former Employee - Accounting & Finance Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Accounting & Finance Analyst in Tampa, FL

I worked at Star2Star Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lean organization ensures high visibility. People skilled at flattery and picking the right horse will enjoy a long career here.

Cons

Office politics and inter-departmental fighting are the "Norm." The turmoil has created a divided office culture with high turnover. No nearby lunch spots. Company seems to have lost its sense of direction following a short "golden age."

Advice to Management

Build consensus and unity in the C-suite so it feels like everyone is pulling in the same direction.

10. Everyone I met was polite and very helpful.

Current Employee - Account Specialist in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Account Specialist in Sarasota, FL

Pros

The process was very organized and concise.

Cons

I have none at this time.

11. New Position - Hiring Process

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Sarasota, FL

Pros

Great team. Exceptional introduction of internal teams and new hire orientation. Friendly and helpful people to assist with a smooth transition. Great technology!!!

Cons

Today is my second day. There hasn't been a Con noticed yet.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

RSS Feed </> Embed