StarTech.com

Updated November 5, 2014
Updated November 5, 2014
4.0

Paul Seed

If you have been out there you know this company is one of the best

I have been working at StarTech.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

StarTech is no different than other companies, as there is gossiping, people that would try to backstab you, poor and great managers, etc....BUUTT since is a company on a ramping mode, if you are SMART enough, and you do an acceptable job, you will grow. There is no perfect company out there, but I got to say that this is by far the company with the best collection of competent nice people I have ever worked for, and this is the reason why StarTech is thriving as company. YES, the company buys products from china and re-sell them, but if you would read world finance papers and have little understanding how the technology business work, you may understand why the company does it, and I'm not defending the company, is just that in general I'm against ignorance and poorly informed statements. Also, I have to add that for the city of London they have pretty decent salaries, and you do not have to deal with traffic... so, why is one of the best? The combination of the following factors:

1- high number of competent managers.
    2- average salary and perks
    3- a good collection of competent nice people
    4- located in a city where living expenses are not pricey.
    5- You are provided with all the tools to perform your job well.
    6- In average you will spend 25 minutes to get to work
    7- growth opportunities.
    8- decent work-life balance.
    9- I haven't feel the need to call in sick because I do not want to go to work :)

My opinion might be biased as I still work with the company, but that is my humble opinion.

Cons

The company has challenges but I think is very good at tackling them

Keep on hiring more competent people. Tech management team needs improvement.

Why StarTech.com is the best company I worked for .

Current Employee - Sales in London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at StarTech.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

StarTech.com is a growing company from London that has expanded globally. The last few years they have seen growth in the double digits almost each quarter and hence there are great opportunities for career progression. I have worked at a few Fortune 500 companies and can say that the culture at StarTech.com surpasses them all. It really feels genuine and sincere. The management is very accessible, you have the feeling that your voice is heard and can walk into anyone’s office if you wanted to.
    The company is also very clear on strategy and direction but as a growing company a bit vague on how exactly to get there (process, KPI’s) which I think is part of the fun of working there as you get more autonomy and opportunity than would be the case in a bigger, more bureaucratic environment. Onboarding is very good but still you probability don’t want the job if you need lots of hand holding!
    I feel that the growth/success has been achieved by having more than an average share of fast moving, results- oriented type people in roles and a good product balance. Hence, the expectations are high. Most of the employees are very diligent and engaged, going the extra mile, so the ones that aren’t stick out (and get fired) more often than at bigger companies where they can hide lower performance for longer. 
    The payoff however is bigger as well, as the bonus has been redistributed like clockwork for the last 3 years. They really do share the wealth! Not only with the employees but with the community as well giving to IVEY and UNITED WAY among others.
    On the topic of manufacturing, it is true that they outsource most of it to China and Taiwan. I was not aware that this was a secret or a conspiracy. High tech exports make up more than 30% of all Chinese exports and companies Apple, HP, Intel, Cisco and Microsoft have similar practices and their products in general cost a lot more than StarTech.com’s. Naturally, there are many cheap knock offs but they do not provide the added value of having an around the clock technical service so the company has a strategic advantage and ads value, which is why they place a premium on their products. And the market is validating this in growing sales numbers EVERY quarter.
    The employment surveys are paid for but anonymous and representative as most fill them out, so the satisfaction levels are truly higher than average. Most people are very realistic and know how good they have it.
    Finally, I don’t want to give the impression there aren’t things that could be better.
    The growth has been organic and fast there are a lot of legacy systems that have been outgrown and are not scalable and that results in scrambling and trying to figure things out on the fly which results in some overtime. Compensation at some levels differs greatly and this is a problem that is not systematically dealt with companywide.
    I am an individual contributor and have never felt that these issues were glossed over by management but have the feeling (and are seeing positive changes) they trying to address them.
    Taking all things into consideration I can truly tell you that working at StarTech.com has been the best professional experience of my life and I hope to stay here for much longer.

Cons

Some processes could be better- remote work

I am proud to be a part of StarTech.com

Working for Startech is overrated.

Current Employee - Tech in London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Tech in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at StarTech.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent benefits, although you have to pay into them. Salary is okay.

Cons

The previous reviewer sounds like someone from the marketing department trying to make the company look good on this website. I mean line by line responses to the one reviewer who bashed the company, sounds a little fishy to me.
    Anyways, I agree that the cameras on the ceiling are a little much, makes me feel like I'm working at a bank or something. People are always gossiping and talking smack about other employees, don't think you can get away from that at any company though. All I can say is that startech is NOT for everyone, it takes a special kind of person to work here, and after almost 2 years I'm searching for new employment. After working here I've realized that I can do better than this overly stressful environment.
    Not too crazy about the motivational retreats for the employees, feels like we're getting motivated to work harder but it doesn't really improve the working environment.
    Lastly, I don't think anyone in their right mind would say that startech is an enviable workplace, VERY far from it.

StarTech.com Response

Oct 10, 2014Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to post their feedback and opinions on Glassdoor! We appreciate the compliments and the candor.

We are always working to make things better for our
    ... More

Not fun and exciting like they claim to be, everyone is paranoid and on edge.

Former Employee - Sales in London, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales in London, ON (Canada)

I worked at StarTech.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

While I was there the work itself was pretty good for what I did, my initial thoughts were that this place is pretty cool, people seemed friendly. But all that changes pretty quickly.

Cons

I was initially hired on with one other person and he lasted a whole 3 months before they fired him. I lasted about a year, and just to be clear, their probation period is between 6-7 months, whichever they decide. The first few things I noticed was that there are cameras EVERYWHERE! They monitor every single cube because they are paranoid about theft and personally I think they just check up on you to make sure you're working.
    After the shock of the cameras wore off I tried settling into my work, which was hard to do because they force you to sit in a circle of cubes with your back to several other people with no walls and no privacy at all. And I know this is similar to what a lot of companies do but get with the times, it's been proven by a lot of doctors that employees are more productive when they have even a shred of perceived privacy because they are more comfortable with their environment. Taking away all their privacy is a good way to alienate your employees right off the start and make them hate their jobs.
    So after a while I began noticing that most of the employees were younger people with new faces showing up often, while most of the management were older and had been there for years, some from the very beginning of Startech. This tells me that there is a high turn around rate for non-management employees. Also, this brings about a lot of gossiping among the younger crowd. Quite a bit of back stabbing was going on as well, everyone seemed to watch each other to get some dirt and then rat you out to the boss so that they could get ahead. Hence the paranoid environment, everyone seemed on edge at all times.
    They would pay you a very average salary, which they claim is wonderful and based on the norm for the rest of the business world. And if you're expecting any bonuses or raises, keep dreaming. After my 6-7 month probation was up I was told that I would get my review soon. What I didn't know is that they get the employees who sit around you to do your review and boy did they nit pick. I sat with the manager and was told that I take too many personal calls, and that I spend too much time talking with people around me (while the people around me could talk all they like on the phone and among themselves without any repercussions). Then when I asked if there was any raise, I was told that they don't do raises after the probation period. I would have to wait until a full year was up before they would even consider it. Then she began to tell me that she expects me to do mandatory overtime (with no extra pay) every single week, at least 1-2 hours per week was the minimum. That statement in my opinion was unacceptable, but I reluctantly agreed.
    I was working hard, bringing lots of new ideas to the table and even helping to implement a few great ideas that I had but I guess that wasn't enough. One day the grumpy HR lady came over to me and said she wanted to speak with me in her office. When I walked in she began to tell me that this meeting is a follow up to my review, and I thought 'a follow up to my review from a few months ago?' I'm suppose to be a full employee now right? Wrong, in this sneaky way she tied in the review as a way to have an excuse to fire me. When I asked her what I did wrong, did I not do my job? She said it has nothing to do with my work; that was fine, I'm just not the right fit for Startech. In other words, the people I worked with didn't like me so they told our boss, and she decided to fire me. My boss didn't even have the guts to call me into her office and tell me herself that there was something wrong and give me a chance to improve/change.
    Now I'm well aware of how things go at other companies when you get fired, they call security to escort you out, etc.. but these guys make you feel like you suddenly caught a deadly contagious disease, and I'm sure they make a spectacle out of you to keep everyone else in line. The HR lady escorted me to my desk so that I could collect my belongings, no one in the cubes would even make eye contact with me, they just talked quietly amongst themselves. When I tried to log into my workstation to delete my personal files, I could not log back in, I was told that my user was locked out. In the time that I went to the HR office the IT guy came by and locked out my workstation, seems they have this whole firing routine down to a perfectly timed art form. So I began collecting my things from the drawers and off the desk, while the HR lady kept telling me to hurry up. Once I made sure I had everything she escorted me out of the building.
    I have nothing against the owners, except to say that they are extremely cheap and must have blinders on to not see what kind of environment they have created for their employees. One month the company made record sales which was way above their budget, so to celebrate, the owners proceeded to walk around the office with a cooler and hand out ice-cream to everyone as a way to thank them for their hard dedicated work. Wow, how about sharing some of that hard earned wealth to make me feel like I really am appreciated? I don't want ice-cream, I want a bonus! That's what they do in the real business world. They must not feel the need to reward their employees for actually doing all this hard work and making them the millions that the company makes each year in profits.
    And finally, all those great banners they hang on the side of the building showing that they are a part of the '50 best companies to work for' or 'inc 500 companies' etc.. it's not like these places come to them and say, 'Hey, you guys made our list of 50 best companies to work for, congrats..' No, it's more like Startech approaches these companies, pays them a fee between $150 - $500 and then they get added to their list of companies and are reviewed in a positive way, including a free banner to hang on their office. So paying someone to make themselves look good in the eyes of the public isn't really a fair assessment of them. And as a final comment, I love their statement that they are a manufacturer of hard to find computer parts. Yet another false statement, they send their sales managers to Taiwan and Korea every year to attend local tech industry expos where they find new cheap products made by these companies. Then if they like the products they pay them to 're-brand' them in Startech boxes and sell them as their own for 300%-400% markup. Startech doesn't MANUFACTURE anything at all! Most of their products can be found at your local computer shop or on e-bay under the original asian brand name for $10-$20 vs the Startech price of $199.
    I have to say that the entire experience of working at Startech just left a bad taste in my mouth. Even working retail was a picnic compared to this place. If you're smart, don't even send them your resume. Between management that works you to the bone, or the employees looking for blood, chances are you won't last long. Working for Startech was the worst job of my entire life!

Treat your employees with respect, pay them a real competitive salary (the company makes like over 10 million a year in sales, I think you can afford to give competitive salaries to your employees), give bonuses when the company does well, and give them some privacy by removing the cameras, and adding some cubicle walls. Don't treat them like they are expendable, and don't make them work overtime for the same pay, that's just down right low and cheap. And most importantly, if they do something wrong give them a chance to improve instead of just firing them.

Beware

Former Employee - Tech in London, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Tech in London, ON (Canada)

I worked at StarTech.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Professional work environment, flexible work from home/remote options, ok benefits.

Cons

Vertical progression has nothing to do with actual on the job performance. Its more about who you know and who you're "buddies" with, very selective/secretive when doing performance reviews, no transparency when it comes to former employees, no references whatsoever so if beware that if you end up on the wrong persons crosshair, you wont be going anywhere but out. It takes at least 2 years for anyone new to the company to see the real truth on how things are run. Tip: it's not what you'll be sold on initially when you're hired.

Increase review transparency as well as feedback as to why people get let go. In all my years there nobody ever told anyone a real reason as to why the company had let anyone go. Guess thats one benefit to pretending to be a "family", easier to pick sides.

Best company I've ever worked with!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at StarTech.com

Pros

They've provide so much opportunity for personal and professional growth; truly listen to and follow up on employee suggestions; repeatedly lands in the list of top 50 best companies to work for; have a Fun Team; a Volunteer Corps...all of this while growing their business and their employee base and keeping their HQ in London.

Cons

Working in such a dynamic, ever-changing environment is exciting and challenging. If you want a slow pace full of routine, ST is not the place for you.

It is a family like company.

Current Employee - Market Researcher in London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Market Researcher in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at StarTech.com as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people are great. They are really helpful. Provide lots of the support. The office is very interactive. HR organize many company events.

Cons

The office environment is more relax. People will work hard during office hour. Not many people will stay in the office late and work over time.

Joining StarTech.com felt like finally coming home!

I have been working at StarTech.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Clear organizational goals.
    Engaged and effective senior management.
    Smart, friendly employees.
    Resources to do your job.
    Recognition for a job well done.
    Plenty of perks that make you feel appreciated (t-shirts, jackets, candies on Valentine's day, etc.)

I've never worked in a place like this. It's an incredible atmosphere, and I give a lot of the credit to the HR team for hiring great people.

Cons

Traditional work styles: very little flexibility to work from home.
    Very little emphasis on environmental responsibility.
    Located near the airport in London. Not easy to get to via transit or bus.

Keep up the good work!

A Diverse, fun, growing Company to work with

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at StarTech.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lot of things to do and develop. There is something new everyday, no "routine" is allowed! Very open management, they listen to your ideas. Fun events all the time. Lots of Diversity, this company looks like the United Nations!! :)

Cons

I have not seen anything yet (I will let you know)

Keep the enthusiasm and the culture of the company

Fantastic Culture

Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist in London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at StarTech.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

StarTech.com is a growing local company. The growth expected for us locally and globally is huge, and there is career progression potential for everyone. Employees are friendly and intelligent. The culture is AMAZING--enjoy complimentary coffes/teas or Wii in the cafe. The onbaording process is second to none. Work life balance is insisted upon.

Cons

I do not have any cons to share. The environment is very open to collaboration and welcomes individual opinion.

Continue what you are doing!