StarTek Reviews

Reset
3.6
StarTek CEO Chad Carlson
Chad Carlson

Pros
  • Decent managers, work from home in some positions (in 10 reviews)

• Generally, with any call center it depends on the client (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • EGO, EGO, EGO, not a good combination with customer service and sales (in 6 reviews)

• This is something that happens at any call center (in 5 reviews)

1. Technical support Trainer

Current Employee - Technical Trainer in Mansfield, OH
    Current Employee - Technical Trainer in Mansfield, OH

I have been working at StarTek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

fun work place and people

Cons

would like to see better pay

2. Customer service

Former Employee - BEUC Representative in Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - BEUC Representative in Mansfield, OH

I worked at StarTek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well trained in the technicalities of evaluating cellular devices for problems and setting up payment arrangements for customers

Cons

More training for those not familiar with billing and technical aspect of devices

Advice to Management

More training and easier access to technical support

3. Call agent

Current Employee - AtS in Mansfield, OH
    Current Employee - AtS in Mansfield, OH

I have been working at StarTek

Pros

Lots of hours, great people to work with

Cons

Phone calls, career advancement for people who don't deserve it

5. Customer Service...turned Collections

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Collections in Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Collections in Mansfield, OH

I worked at StarTek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Star Tek Mansfield had a lot of great benefits and features that most of the businesses in the area do not offer. They do have benefits (review my cons) such as insurance, dental, 401k, stocks. They have a live cafeteria open most work days, although the company itself is open everyday the cafeteria does not, but they do have decent hot food at a slightly high price, but it's convenient. When I first started I was doing customer service for AT&T which I greatly enjoyed. They moved on to doing collections which I did not enjoy which is why they are currently a former employer. They do have paid training, another plus. The majority of the people who work there are upbeat, happy, caring (whether they are all really good actors-which is part of the job-is up to you). The job itself is not physical in any way. During my time as a customer service rep I found working with the customers to be mostly enjoyable. The company itself does try to keep the employees up to date with what's going on by having multiple forms of communication such as internal webpage, facebook, etc. If you can talk on a phone and type (accuracy, spelling, and proper grammar not required) it's a decent job in a dying town (Mansfield). They also try to get the community to like them by doing things like paying for a local football field. Although, it wasn't the one that's right across from the company which made no sense to me. Star Tek does have other opportunities finally after five years..they now handle Nespresso, a grill company, and apparently since I left they are also going to be doing some AT&T chat. I may try to go back to the company if nothing better pops up. They tend to be for the most part a very understanding and human group of leaders. They have such things as flex, like if you need to have unexpected time off for a day you can work a different day during that pay period to make up for it.

Cons

The cons...now this is all based on being a collections rep for AT&T I have no knowledge of how the other opportunities are, but most people loved them. So as far as collections go and Star Tek itself negatives: constant shift changes with shift bids that tend to have to be redone multiple times, literally leaving you very little time to revamp your life. If you have kids or have to deal with other schedules in your personal life it can make things quite complicated. They are always having issues with changing supervisors. If they aren't getting fired, they are getting moved. The training tends to be outdated. You tend to learn about something you had to make up as you go six months late. You are dealing with AT&T constant changing policies as well so you better use the tools they give you to stay up to date or you may be giving bad information out. Not cool. The customers...in collections it can be hard. You get cussed out constantly. You become AT&T in their eyes and because they are behind on their bills and don't want to accept the fact that it's their own fault they will try everything they can to keep service and not pay. The insurance Star Tek offers is crazy expensive, you literally have to do the overtime to bring home a check. Another thing I didn't like. Points...now I know no one should be late for work or heaven forbid ever miss...but sometimes things do happen. The point system they adopted says points only fall off once a year.

Advice to Management

I know I am not there right now due to my own choice. However, I would strongly recommend you work on giving your employees better training that's actually up to date. I suggest better insurance and benefit packets. I recommend you fix your parking lot...nothing but holes that'll take a tire out. I recommend you quit firing your supervisors constantly. No one really wants to move up because you fire the sups! Stop doing that!

6. Up-Trainer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, OH

I have been working at StarTek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

culture is amazing and fun place to work

Cons

the only negative is pay isnt the best

Little room for compassion in collections

Former Employee - Collections Representative in Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Collections Representative in Mansfield, OH

I worked at StarTek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Steady hours per week Full-time job

Cons

company policies that have to be followed allow for little to no compassion for customers who have fallen on hard times or had extreme circumstances. Angry, cursing, threatening, screaming customers make up at least 80% of the calls you receive.

Advice to Management

Allow perspective hires to preview irate calls and see if it's really the job for them.

Fun work environment

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mansfield, OH

I worked at StarTek

Pros

great money, easy job fun people and awesome benefits

Cons

changing schedule And change in business

Advice to Management

staying consitant

9. A positive workplace with supportive leadership.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, OH

I have been working at StarTek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

StarTek Mansfield is better than other call centers. People there care about me and want me to have a good day.

Cons

Sometimes the calls are difficult or you deal with an angry customer, but I haven't had a job yet where that isn't the case. And dealing with an angry customer over the phone us a lot easier than dealing with an angry table when you're working at a restaurant!

Advice to Management

Keep up the community involvement! More businesses around here should do the kind of stuff you're doing here, sponsoring parades, saving the Christmas Lights display at the fairgrounds, all that stuff. Way to go!

10. Love my job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, OH

I have been working at StarTek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People work together to always find a way to make the environment better for all employees. Growing faster than any other business in the Mansfield area.

Cons

Can be a very demanding job. Time is money and attendance is key. As long as you have a good work ethic there is no issues. No one ever calls a call center to tell them how awesome they are so you can have a tough day with a lot of negative people. Just have to know it is not you, but the situation and find out how to move forward.

Advice to Management

Remember what it was like to be an agent.

11. Have seen a lot of changes in my career. Most of them for the better.

Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support in Mansfield, OH
    Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support in Mansfield, OH

I have been working at StarTek

Pros

My pay, no other jobs around here with this pay. Paid time off. Insurance. Friendly. Fun. Holiday pay. Some holidays off.

Cons

Stressful. Can be hard to move up or stay moved up in leadership. Management not always honest. Can't always get the days off you need.

Advice to Management

Be honest and open with people. Build your relationships better with your supervisors and make them ready to take your job some day.

RSS Feed </> Embed