StarTek Reviews in Mansfield, OH

Updated August 12, 2014
2.6

StarTek CEO Chad Carlson
Chad Carlson

Pros
  • Working from Home is the only positive thing about this job (in 6 reviews)

• Generally, with any call center it depends on the client (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • 50 an hour customer service reps pay (in 6 reviews)

• Very Political environment- just like high school only worse (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Positive momentum

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Mansfield, OH
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Mansfield, OH

I have been working at StarTek full-time for less than a year

Pros

I like the leadership, I like the management, I like the friendliness and competitiveness atmosphere. I had heard a LOT of negative things about this place before starting here, but I try not to let the opinions of others become my own reality, so I am giving it a shot!

Cons

Compensation is a little lower than I would hope, but not unreasonable for the area here in Mansfield. There are higher paying jobs coming with some additional clients though, targeting for 4th quarter 2014!

Continue to make tweaks and changes and improvements

They have mandatory overtime, if you don't stay they find some way to get rid of you.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mansfield, OH

I worked at StarTek full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good training and time with trainers to learn system

Cons

need to have background in office machines (computer, typing skills, and multi-line phone system.)

Worked as a customer service representative

I worked at StarTek full-time for less than a year

Pros

Teamwork is high and expected

Cons

Turnover is high because training is always completed before the employee can do the job

Encourage all CSR's and their management team to support that CSR when there are problems

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very unprofessional HR and Management Depts.

I worked at StarTek full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are no "pros" for this company. Please see "Cons".

Cons

Very unprofessional management staff. Extremely high attrition rate. No professional dress code. I came to work dressed professionally and my contemporaries thought I was a member of management. I came from a large firm in a big city where business was conducted in a particular fashion. This company fell incredibly short of even the smallest level of professionalism both in management, and staff.

Respect your employees.

Disappointed

Former Employee - Operation Supervisor  in  Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Operation Supervisor in Mansfield, OH

I worked at StarTek full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They do hire and promte from within.

Cons

They do not pay their superviors the pto they banked if they provide a notice and leave the company on good terms. They overlook or refuse to let you interview for a higher position if you exercise the open door policy adn tell higer management the issues you are having with management.

Allow everyone to interview inside the company. Don't penalize a loyal employee of almost five years for moving on and refure to pay out pto that was not taken.

If you value professionalism, RUN don't walk to the nearest exit!

I worked at StarTek full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very few! Training is nine weeks long and thorough (but there are negatives there, too). It is a diverse workforce. Metrics are achievable, even directly out of training. Salary is above average for non-degreed service jobs.

Cons

Unprofessional at every level of employee. Trainers are, by and large, former customer service phone representatives, who had high metrics and good attendance. Classroom control, especially during continuing education classes or "uptraining" is virtually non-existent. They really don't know how to train. In the four months I was there, I either witnessed or was subjected to no less than six prejudicial events ranging from ethnic slurs to gay slurs. Customer Service Representatives look
    for ways to not be on the phones and complain about "back-to-back calls". Rules in place, particularly dress code and no eating in your cubicle, are not enforced or are enforced haphazardly. Supervisors are all former CSR's, with no management experience, very little management training and are frankly quite lousy at their jobs. Call center management is metric focused, not quality focused. A "quality call" can be done without inflection in the voice or actually caring about the customers on the other end of the phone.

1) Up the level of professionalism. This is a job, not a social club or high school. Events such as pajama day do not improve morale.
    2) Train people to do their jobs and promote based on the ability to do the job at the next level, not on the ability to come to work and robotically read the script.
    3) Sensitivity training is a must, at least at the Mansfield, Ohio, site. To hear ethnic slurs, gay epithets, and racially charged comments SHOUTED across the floor is worrisome.
    4) Enforce the rules you have in place.
    5) The supervisor's model of "running their own business" approach to managing their teams isn't working. Replace it with a more stylized and consistent management approach.

A decent place to work - for awhile.

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor  in  Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Mansfield, OH

I worked at StarTek

Pros

Nice friendly people. You will network with hundreds of other employees during your career here. There is definitely a chance for advancement within this company if you show up to work, and do your job.

Cons

HR has become a joke. There are constant investigations over seemingly small things. Senior management is ridiculous, and what is expected of the employees changes on a daily basis. Once you do get promoted - watch yourself. Supervisors get fired from this place like crazy, and even on a whim.

Start hiring qualified candidates to lead this company. More thorough background checks should be required for the management hiring process. I know it motivates a lot of the younger employees to see supervisors that are in their teen years - but these people do not have fully developed leadership abilities, and tend to fail at their positions. I'm not saying discriminate against young employees, just to actually verify that the young candidate has the abilities and skillsets required by the job instead of just hiring them to raise morale of other younger employees.

Worked for StarTek? Contribute to the Community!