StarTek Reviews

Updated September 22, 2014
2.6

StarTek CEO Chad Carlson
Chad Carlson

Pros
  • Working from Home is the only positive thing about this job (in 6 reviews)

• Generally, with any call center it depends on the client (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • 50 an hour customer service reps pay (in 6 reviews)

• Very Political environment- just like high school only worse (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

The training I received far outweighed my expectations.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Collinsville, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Collinsville, VA

I worked at StarTek full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company had flexible hours, however they are no longer a business. The business closed down.

Cons

The customers were not always nice and things could be challenging trying to keep up with new policies and procedures.

Would not consider going back

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at StarTek full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is decent to start off

Cons

Seem like you have to look over your shoulder a lot. Trying to advance in the company for african Americans can be chsllenging

Positive momentum

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Mansfield, OH
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Mansfield, OH

I have been working at StarTek full-time for less than a year

Pros

I like the leadership, I like the management, I like the friendliness and competitiveness atmosphere. I had heard a LOT of negative things about this place before starting here, but I try not to let the opinions of others become my own reality, so I am giving it a shot!

Cons

Compensation is a little lower than I would hope, but not unreasonable for the area here in Mansfield. There are higher paying jobs coming with some additional clients though, targeting for 4th quarter 2014!

Continue to make tweaks and changes and improvements

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The position and benefits were satisfactory, but the base pay was too low.

I worked at StarTek full-time

Pros

Extensive training, benefits and you work from home.

Cons

Hourly base salary is too low.

Provide more advancement opportunities.

Great place to work getting started in IT

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Alexandria, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, LA

I have been working at StarTek full-time for more than a year

Pros

The atmosphere in the IT department is very team oriented. If I ever had an issue that I needed advice on all I would have to do is send a message to a neighboring call center tech and they would offer advice on how they resolved the issue in the past. I was able to gain lots of desktop support experience in a short amount of time.

Schedule is very flexible and as IT there is no direct manager on site. Manager/Supervisor direction is very minimal. You are given a task and due date and it's up to you on how you get it done and when you want to tackle the project. So long as you put in your time and get the work done leadership is very happy.

Cons

Pay scale on the low end in my market.

This review is for the IT dept only. Other departments may have different environments.

Advice to IT Management - Invest in your people and allow them to expand their knowledge base.

Keep up the good work.

No one knows what is going on in Enid, OK !!!

Former Employee - Trainer/Babysitter  in  Enid, OK
    Former Employee - Trainer/Babysitter in Enid, OK

I worked at StarTek full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really can't think of any for leadership here. The only pro was finally getting to quit.
    One pro is for agents, you can sit in training for 6 weeks and get paid - do not learn a thing, goof off, talk crap on everyone and be a complete moron. The management will swaddle you like a baby, and blame everything on the training department. Oh and then you can quit right at the end of training, taking your 6 weeks of pay with you and pick some to blame it all on. So you get to leave looking like a saint and completely blaming someone else for all your deficiencies. Best scam ever for anyone who can't get hired anywhere else. They will hire ANYONE and pay you six weeks to sit on your butt in training - then leave with a good reference, because you can say the trainers didn't train you well.

Cons

Completely disorganized. Adult employees are un-trainable and act like children. Agents being fired because they are asked to change the way they operate daily then are penalized for it. I would never work for a place like this again!!! There is so much favoritism, little groups of people who gossip and stab each other in the back. You cannot say anything within 50 ft of this place because every single person working here - from top to bottom - will tell on you in a heartbeat. They stab each other in the back so much, knives should be given out prior to each shift!

Don't believe HR...they are exactly like every other HR person I have ever met in my entire life. They will act so sweet and kind to you. Luring you to come in and confide in them - then when something important happens and you need their help, they will act like they've never talked to you before, lie right to your face, back up management over you, and basically do what every other SCUM BAG HR person has always down - throw you under the bus at light speed to protect their own butt. Ridiculous.

The whole management "team" has been fired (or supposedly "resigned") twice in the seven months I was here. People are thrown under the bus with enthusiasm. Rumors and gossip make employees seem like they are still in grammar school. Every break employees complain so much about the company and each other it is painful to hear. Attempting to train people to work here is an exercise in futility - they are adult children who break down crying, act like babies, fall asleep in training and basically don't show up to work. Then the trainers are told they must treat these "adult children" like they are the most important thing to company. I guess the trainers have no importance but to be scape goats. Finally trainers are blamed for the idiotic children that HR hires when they can't graduate and do their job. I couldn't treat adults like babies which is how they acted, so I had to run away from here and quick!!! DO NOT GET LURED INTO A TRAINING POSITION HERE no matter how much they sell it. If they promise more pay it is a LIE. RUN AWAY!!!

Realize the VERY few good people you have working here and support them, instead of screwing them over! Tell corporate know-it-alls to stay away. Open your freaking eyes and see what is really going on. Or just quit before its too late.

Complete Joke - No Direction - No Leaders - No Outlook

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at StarTek full-time for more than a year

Pros

Medical benefits were at least standard, management pretends to care but secretly does not.

Cons

There is no room for personal growth. Company refuses to entertain better and more efficient ways of doing business. Industry best practices are not adhered to, and they are only concerned with covering themselves legally. You do get PTO but it's very little, when on salary you are expected to be available 100% of the time.

Cult-like atmosphere, those that assimilate will do well, those that vocalize their opinions are targeted for termination. Management takes great delight in targeting employees, and slapping the hand of anyone who dares to care about a workers opinion or feelings.

Consider opening yourself up to feedback. Do not make ridiculous agreements with clients. Respect employees personal lives. You shouldn't pry into why employees are sick. Don't make threats and intimidate employees into submitting to ludicrous points of view that do nothing to move your business forward. Stay out of the rumor mill. Your management......act like it. Do not promote imbeciles with no management experience w/out providing oversight and accountability into their actions.

Adhere to your own policies regarding interviews. All qualified candidates must be interviewed.

Astounding incompetence.

Current Employee - Tech Support  in  Greeley, CO
    Current Employee - Tech Support in Greeley, CO

I have been working at StarTek full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home

***Glenn - after Startek separated my employment, Glenn, contacted me to apologize for his company and wish me the best. THIS GUY, is a diamond in the rough of an otherwise field of cow pat.

Cons

I was hired while living in a state that Startek did not have a working agreement with, so I had to relocate. No problem, Colorado was always on my list of places to be anyway. This is where things go downhill. I essentially had 3 days to pack up my belongings, get on a flight, and be in Colorado for the start of my training. Obviously with home based there is no relocation, so this is all out of pocket.

Upon arrival I signed in for my training, and this is when I realized I had made a huge mistake. If you have worked a call center before, you know the drill. This was the single, worst training and onboarding experience with a company I have ever had to endure. The trainers, were not familiar with the material, or even their company policies really. Which being remote makes life difficult since you can't just walk into HR and ask benefits, salary questions, etc. There was no clear distinction of who management was. I had a few contacts that I was told were supervisors, but we had no access to other's schedules. Again, being remote this makes things interesting to say the least when you ask one or two people a question, and don't receive answers for several hours. Only to learn that is their day off, or even better, they have been in meetings all day but just decided to get back to you.

Connectivity issues. My entire training class experienced them, ultimately leading to Startek actually dismissing us from our roles as "it was not a Startek issue". As a seasoned tech, I tried to explain this several times that I was connected to their network, clocked in, essentially I was ready to go, but was unable to access the customer database, so I was unable to log calls. At this point I was told to clock out to not affect the teams numbers. For several days I tried logging in, no success. I was then informed that since I wasn't taking calls, I would NOT be receiving my paycheck for the week I wasted waiting on equipment to show up, and for connectivity issues to be resolved.

We were told during our interview all necessary equipment would be provided, we had 1 rotating weekend a month, and once you accept the position, you find out that is not the case. There is no partial compensation for telephone or internet connectivity. You have to purchase your own phone (they do provide the headset...which is not compatible with most hardphones, so you need to order a specific one which we didn't receive the information on until our final two hours of our last day of training. This is where the schedule now comes in. You don't get weekends off. In fact, you don't even get 2 days in a row off. Time is split, and the shift selection is terrible. Pay, well, let's just say it for what it is. They pay 9.50 an hr.

The training staff would frequently complain and blame others within the company for things not working (not a good sign from any form of leadership). I would routinely hear that the tools available weren't the best, and really didn't work correctly as is.

In summary. Startek sold me some beachfront property in the rockies and when I was in the fold, found out that I was underpaid, not appreciated in the slightest, management was terrible at best, and then when issues were on their end, they simply abandon their remote employees.

Instead of having 3 separate interviewers from 3 separate locations selling potential employees on these positions you need to be upfront and streamline the process. You need to provide accurate information, and DRASTICALLY improve your training materials and staff.

I started working tech support back in the 90's and have managed teams for high profile companies within call centers. I've seen this industry from it's infancy when there was no standard for service to the strict guidelines today of qp profiles and pages of performance metrics. In all of my time in this business, I have never witnessed such disarray, misinformation, incompetence, and overall lack of substance. It's obvious you are an outsourcing company and you are just putting warm meat in a chair to answer the phone. The product I was representing is a solid product from a good company. It's a shame that a good company that wants to streamline their processes through outsourcing aren't getting what they are paying for.

They don't care about employees at all, Management are a bunch of liars.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at StarTek full-time for less than a year

Pros

No pros for this place do not apply for the k12 position it is just temporary however they will not tell you that.

Cons

Management do not care, they are a bunch of liars. Currently at the Co Spgs location they have a temporary 3 month job,, and are not telling the prospective employees, they will be gone after 3 months, They are liars and deceitful people. DO NOT APPLY AT THIS PLACE.....

Treat people like people. STOP LYING

Only interested in moving US work off shore.

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at StarTek full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Health care benefits package is about the only good thing going for them. Plenty of entry level jobs if you can relocate.

Cons

Executive leadership interested benefitting their own operations groups. Has a meager At Home program that is slowly dying away and losing ground to competitors.

Keep our jobs on shore on US soil. Pushing all jobs off shore is selling out the US workforce.

Worked for StarTek? Contribute to the Community!