StarTek Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
2.5

StarTek CEO Chad Carlson
Chad Carlson

Pros
  • Decent managers, work from home in some positions (in 9 reviews)

• Generally, with any call center it depends on the client (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Call center work is always tough, but that atmosphere of we are in this together helps a lot (in 5 reviews)

• EGO, EGO, EGO, not a good combination with customer service and sales (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging but fun

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Decatur, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Decatur, IL

I worked at StarTek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company works hard to keep employees motivated, fun atmosphere w rewards and acknowledgement that it is hard work.

Cons

Call center work is always tough, but that atmosphere of we are in this together helps a lot. Little leeway sick time so people with little kids can have a hard time.

Better career planning for talented hard workers

Too much stress, not enough pay

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at StarTek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent managers, work from home in some positions

Cons

promotions are slow, training lacks seriously, and pay is far too low

Get out now while you're still decent managers

Would not consider going back

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at StarTek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is decent to start off

Cons

Seem like you have to look over your shoulder a lot. Trying to advance in the company for african Americans can be chsllenging

Startek MANSFIELD

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mansfield, OH

I worked at StarTek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overtime is plentiful, however even if you volunteer for 20 extra hours per week, they will still ask you to do more.

Cons

Next to none on the training for job you are about to do in which you are expected to excel in.

No more favorites, No more passive-aggressive threats to retain employment, No more harassing hourly employees after their shift is over, No more promises you cannot keep, Follow the dress code (we don't want to see your cleavage), Let employees write down their passwords on systems they have to change monthly, Quit showing up to work drunk/stoned.

The training I received far outweighed my expectations.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Collinsville, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Collinsville, VA

I worked at StarTek full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company had flexible hours, however they are no longer a business. The business closed down.

Cons

The customers were not always nice and things could be challenging trying to keep up with new policies and procedures.

It's more that just a "job." It's a "curse."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II

I worked at StarTek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Always hiring; Always looking for new business. Great place to advance (if you're willing to abandon your family).

Cons

No backbone or desire at the corporate level to TRULY care for employees or stand up for them when negotiating contracts with clients. Pay is low and benefits are expensive. Lower management is so tied up with jumping through hoops and managing stats, they don't have time to truly coach and mentor teams; Often management will ignore underlying issues and just try to paint a pretty picture or make you feel guilty for negative feelings about a situation, rather than trying to make it better. Once you're trained for one line of business, the company refuses to let you transfer to another you might be better suited for. HR seems unable or unwilling to hire mature, stable people. Often like working in a middle school; How do they give positive strokes to the employees? By tossing candy bars at them. Really? Like throwing fish at trained seals. Some supervisors have their own favorites and will bend the rules for them. Upper management seems to have no empathy for employees.

Be more discriminating in who you hire, instead of looking for warm, desperate bodies. Pay more. While you might be starting higher than McDonald's (not much of a benchmark) there are other companies with entry level complex tasks, that START at $15/hr or more. Raising pay would give more leverage in who you hire. Work with loyal, competent employees to allow them to move laterally if. A happy, versatile employee is worth far more than a stressed, trapped one who feels like they're on their own, trying to eek out a living. Quit making the excuse that "that's life in a call center." Start giving a damn and try thinking outside the box to be better than just any other call center. HR should also drop the "us vs them" mindset and start working like a functional family.

You're just a number to them and they don't care about you.

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Greeley, CO
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Greeley, CO

I worked at StarTek full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Since people leave often there are many opportunities to move upwards in the company.

Cons

-Horrible upper management. No one is organized. You'll get five different answers depending who you talk to. No one takes ownership and plays the blame game anytime they can.

-Stressful work environment. People leave working at this place quickly. So there are never enough people to support the amount of calls coming in. At times, mandatory overtime was required and sometimes scheduled the same day without notice.

If you want to feel like nothing more than a number this is the place for you. They care only about stats and call volume and could care less about their employees.

- low pay rate for amount of work you do. I did for lines of business with minimal pay.

Positive momentum

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Mansfield, OH
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Mansfield, OH

I have been working at StarTek full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like the leadership, I like the management, I like the friendliness and competitiveness atmosphere. I had heard a LOT of negative things about this place before starting here, but I try not to let the opinions of others become my own reality, so I am giving it a shot!

Cons

Compensation is a little lower than I would hope, but not unreasonable for the area here in Mansfield. There are higher paying jobs coming with some additional clients though, targeting for 4th quarter 2014!

Continue to make tweaks and changes and improvements

The position and benefits were satisfactory, but the base pay was too low.

I worked at StarTek full-time

Pros

Extensive training, benefits and you work from home.

Cons

Hourly base salary is too low.

Provide more advancement opportunities.

Great place to work getting started in IT

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, LA

I have been working at StarTek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere in the IT department is very team oriented. If I ever had an issue that I needed advice on all I would have to do is send a message to a neighboring call center tech and they would offer advice on how they resolved the issue in the past. I was able to gain lots of desktop support experience in a short amount of time.

Schedule is very flexible and as IT there is no direct manager on site. Manager/Supervisor direction is very minimal. You are given a task and due date and it's up to you on how you get it done and when you want to tackle the project. So long as you put in your time and get the work done leadership is very happy.

Cons

Pay scale on the low end in my market.

This review is for the IT dept only. Other departments may have different environments.

Advice to IT Management - Invest in your people and allow them to expand their knowledge base.

Keep up the good work.