StarTek

Be The First To
Add Photos

StarTek CEO Chad Carlson

Chad Carlson

Pros
  • Working from Home is the only positive thing about this job(in 6 reviews)

• Generally, with any call center it depends on the client(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • 50 an hour customer service reps pay(in 6 reviews)

• Very Political environment- just like high school only worse(in 6 reviews)

Only interested in moving US work off shore.

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsHealth care benefits package is about the only good thing going for them. Plenty of entry level jobs if you can relocate.

ConsExecutive leadership interested benefitting their own operations groups. Has a meager At Home program that is slowly dying away and losing ground to competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep our jobs on shore on US soil. Pushing all jobs off shore is selling out the US workforce.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Management is the worst

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Grand Junction, CO

ProsNone. Nothing is good about this company.

ConsManagement is incompetent. I worked with a great group of people and I felt like our team was quite successful, however the management brought everyone down. One woman who got promoted to management after three months on the job let it go to her head. She would yell at the team, make up lies about people she didn't like, and take her "fake complaints" to HR just to get those people in trouble, even though they never did anything wrong. She actually got someone fired by lying to HR about them.

The HR manager was completely rude, unfair and bias. She was not someone I would want controlling that department. She played favorites and treated everyone else badly. She would come in late, leave early, and constantly close her door so she could talk on her cell phone and have her personal conversations on the company dime.

They didn't do a very good job of training people once they were hired. They claim they provide paid training and once you start you'll be able to completely do your job without having any questions. Lies! They do provide training but afterward most people were lost on what to do, no one seemed to want to help, and our supervisor at the time stepped down because he was so confused on what his job expectations were.

Most people here just do their job and go home. Some get caught up in the office gossip and try to get involved in other people's lives. Some people were friendly but some were just down right rude, even on the phone to customers. Whenever someone would complain to HR it was not kept confidential, the HR manager would go around and ask people what their thoughts were regarding the complaint. She would often order pizza to be delivered to her office and invite her favorite employees up there to share the pizza with her. She was not professional at all and walked around gossiping more than attempting to do her job.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people to work. Don't hire people to play and gossip. This is a place of business, not a middle school. Take control of the company by providing decent training and ridding the building of "management" that likes to act like toddlers.

One of the Friendliest

CCR II (Former Employee) Cartersville, GA

ProsThe supervisors and management are very friendly and very helpful. They offer paid time off and pretty decent benefits for the type of job. They do pretty well with Holiday pay and VTO.

ConsScheduling is outsourced to another country which caused massive issues when schedules were coming in messed up. Citrix was also a pain to deal with. Finally some of the tools that require licenses, some of the licenses would be taken away from one program and given to another.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep Scheduling for the US employees in the US, it will be better to avoid some very irritating mistakes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst Place Ever!

WAH Retention (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsThere were no pros while working for Star Tek.

ConsThis is the worst place I have ever worked! horrible management, not at the local level but at the corporate level. pay was never correct, the WAH tech support was beyond horrible and cant understand them, they don't help you when your system is down. Didn't get paid for down time when their system was down , but was expected to sit there for days until they fixed it. the only way I could sign up for my medical benefits was on their system, and mine as well as others were down, and we were told we had to wait until open enrollment. Turn over rate so high we had to work in departments that we were not trained in but would be reprimanded for doing something wrong. I could go on and on about the cons. If you are considering working here run the other way!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together. Don't make promises to employees you cant keep. Your tech support was the worst I have ever experienced, and did not want to help us get back up and running. I did not see concern for your employees one time I was working there. After I had been down for over a week, after my manager told me (And was written in your contract with us) that if we are down due to our own computers at home or internet etc we would not be paid, however if we are down and have tech involved and service numbers etc we would be paid. We were expected to sit by our computers and wait for tech support to contact us, and there were many of us. None of us were ever paid for that time, and at Christmas time. Your company and lack of caring for your employees and having a less than functional tech support group caused many families to have no Christmas! You got one star on the below because it was the lowest option for me to use. I would not recommend anyone to work for your company.

Horrible Horrible Place Colorado Springs location Wellldyne RX rep

Welldyne Rx Representative (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsCannot find any positives in this place

ConsSo desperate to get you trained for want of a better word, they risked the employees safety by putting them in an environment that was so unsafe the fire marshall had to come in and remove the employees, Startek said it was a miscommunication. They thrive and foster on an environment similar to high school with people tattle telling on others, it is absolutely ridiculous for the 10.50 an hour customer service reps pay. Nobody knows what they are doing, especially the customer service end of management, customers are put on hold while fthe employees are fumbling for answers along with management on what to tell people about there medications. The training was awful just read out of a manual, and shoved on the phone, the management will do anything that the client wants just to keep them, while risking safety, excellent customer service and a decent atmosphere. I would not recommend this job to anybody in fact some people I know have already heard what a horrible place it is to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour training leaves a lot to be desired as does the management skills, not to mention the low rate of pay. Start listening to your employees and not just the designated tattle tales. Your already high turnover in such a short time should be indicative of employee unhappiness. This is NOT a great place to work, you are herded out of the training and shoved on the phone with nobody knowing any answers. The supervisors do not want to take escalated calls as they don't know what they are doing either Incredible customer service you are not giving Welldyne customers, and a great place to work you are NOT giving your employees.

Management more worried about protecting imagine than achieving results

ProsPeople are very friendly. Product knowledge is key since your are taking in-bound calls. Could have a lot of potential if they'd realize the good workers from the trouble makers.

ConsOver-reaction by management at drop of a hat. Open door policy allows employees (who know how to work the system) to take advantage of each other thru gossip. Any criticism or suggestions on improvement are met with stone walling. Disconnect between employee and management - employees take advantage of that by telling on each other

Advice to Senior ManagementStop re-acting at every turn - allowing employees to run the company, by letting them "file" complaints about everything they don't like - then reacting to it! Compensation is not enough for average adult to live on, promotions were promised internally then posted externally and kept from employees. Not satisfied.

Startek, wish it was different

Disconnects (Former Employee) Grand Junction, CO

ProsManagement was thoughtful when I was in a lot of pain.

ConsStaff just stared at me while I was breaking down.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen someone needs a private moment, keep the herds away.

There isn't enough room for employees and management EGO!

Bus Sales Associate (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsClient provided an awesome bonus structure for doing your job and doing it well! You get to work from home, most of the time. Hours for the business division work out well in Cincinnati branch. If you need a job to get you through until you find something else, this will work.

ConsUnfortunately, cons outweigh pros. I never thought I would write a bad review about StarTek but they left me no choice. Please understand this is only the Cincinnati branch I am speaking of, as corporate has yet to get a review from me while I wait to see what they do. The Cincinnati branch has had a lot of turnover since starting.. employees and upper management. The management knows very little about managing or the actual job. EGO, EGO, EGO, not a good combination with customer service and sales. They constantly blame any issues on the client we are serving. Although there were several excellent employees, management made sure they were gone if they didn't partake in their bs or high school behavior. Raises were a joke. I got more when I was 16 working at a movie theater. Although system issues were a major issue from the beginning, they did eventually get most of those worked out. Once the best part of management was gone, the team leads felt it necessary to try and fill shoes of people they couldn't touch. It was a very bad situation for employees. Lots of unfilled promises and parading of numerous people that more than likely wouldn't be there in 6 months anyway. I won both the sales contests the client held in a year. Yet my position there meant no more than someone who performed poorly. My last straw was when a team lead talked to me like an abusive spouse. The things he said were very unprofessional and he did this while I was trying to fix and issue for a customer and our client. I made a lot of money doing what I do best, but it certainly wasn't worth the incompetence that team leads and management had shown since I began with Cincinnati when they first opened in July 2012.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave you team leads and management know what they are doing. You cannot lead unless you have followed. Being a good manager or lead is not telling people what they are doing wrong, but leading by example and encouraging their employees to strive for excellence. Unfortunately, the Cincinnati branch's ego's get in the way of common sense and good customer service. One last thing. We serve the client, that is our jobs according to first day of training. If that is the case, stop allowing management to blame the client for everything wrong. Without a client, there are no positions.

Really great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prostraining was great. Great pay and good job for college student

ConsNo advance path, no plan of advancement for employee

Decent but needs improvement

Customer Account Executive (Comcast) (Former Employee) Grand Junction, CO

ProsIve worked at several call centers. StarTek was the best one I had worked at. Generally, with any call center it depends on the client. One client might have it good, while others have it bad. I worked for Comcast, so I had it much better than people who did AT&T. It was very relaxed, the environment was considerably friendly (for the most part), there was alot of freedom, good pay (compared to other call centers), and decent flexibility with schedule. The work was incredibly easy as well.

ConsStartek and their clients really do not care about the employees. That is something that becomes obvious after working there for some time. They see you as easily replaceable commodities, and only easily replaceable commodities. They will train you on something then say "oh nevermind you have to do this now". They started adding considerably more work on us and not paying us any more money. The job I had in technical support, now has to do billing AND sales. They almost tripled our work. They were constantly changing policy and rules. The whole thing was in a constant state of flux and they would constantly lie to us and give us false information about what was actually going on.

They made us all work Christmas and Thanksgiving after promising we would get those off. They didn't give people bonuses they were supposed to get. We were supposed to get paid more for working late, that didn't happen. When I was there, the call grading system needed alot of improvement. My manager was very immature and had it out for me and someone else who worked with me, as a sort of weird vendetta. Still, to this day we do not know why that was. It was really hard to deal with to say the least. She would just catch us, make things up about things we did on a call, and threaten to fire us regularly. You saw ALOT of this kind of high school mentality there.

There was also alot of sex going on. This is something that happens at any call center. This particular call center however, had at least one supervisor involved who never got in trouble. He would constantly make sexual comments and advances to girls under him. I probably heard a dozen girls complain to me, and I'm a guy. The fact those girls felt comfortable telling me this makes me think there were actually much more of them. There were guys flirting and constantly trying to pick up girls, lots of sleeping around, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more professional. Do not let your personal issues interfere with the people under you. Actually care about those people. Don't give information about what will happen or is happening if you don't actually know, and don't make promises you are going to break. Don't be rude to your employees.

Worked for StarTek? Contribute to the Community!