StarTek Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

2.6

StarTek CEO Chad Carlson
Chad Carlson

Pros
  • Working from Home is the only positive thing about this job (in 6 reviews)

• Generally, with any call center it depends on the client (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • 50 an hour customer service reps pay (in 6 reviews)

• Very Political environment- just like high school only worse (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

The training I received far outweighed my expectations.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Collinsville, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Collinsville, VA

I worked at StarTek full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company had flexible hours, however they are no longer a business. The business closed down.

Cons

The customers were not always nice and things could be challenging trying to keep up with new policies and procedures.

Astounding incompetence.

Current Employee - Tech Support  in  Greeley, CO
    Current Employee - Tech Support in Greeley, CO

I have been working at StarTek full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home

***Glenn - after Startek separated my employment, Glenn, contacted me to apologize for his company and wish me the best. THIS GUY, is a diamond in the rough of an otherwise field of cow pat.

Cons

I was hired while living in a state that Startek did not have a working agreement with, so I had to relocate. No problem, Colorado was always on my list of places to be anyway. This is where things go downhill. I essentially had 3 days to pack up my belongings, get on a flight, and be in Colorado for the start of my training. Obviously with home based there is no relocation, so this is all out of pocket.

Upon arrival I signed in for my training, and this is when I realized I had made a huge mistake. If you have worked a call center before, you know the drill. This was the single, worst training and onboarding experience with a company I have ever had to endure. The trainers, were not familiar with the material, or even their company policies really. Which being remote makes life difficult since you can't just walk into HR and ask benefits, salary questions, etc. There was no clear distinction of who management was. I had a few contacts that I was told were supervisors, but we had no access to other's schedules. Again, being remote this makes things interesting to say the least when you ask one or two people a question, and don't receive answers for several hours. Only to learn that is their day off, or even better, they have been in meetings all day but just decided to get back to you.

Connectivity issues. My entire training class experienced them, ultimately leading to Startek actually dismissing us from our roles as "it was not a Startek issue". As a seasoned tech, I tried to explain this several times that I was connected to their network, clocked in, essentially I was ready to go, but was unable to access the customer database, so I was unable to log calls. At this point I was told to clock out to not affect the teams numbers. For several days I tried logging in, no success. I was then informed that since I wasn't taking calls, I would NOT be receiving my paycheck for the week I wasted waiting on equipment to show up, and for connectivity issues to be resolved.

We were told during our interview all necessary equipment would be provided, we had 1 rotating weekend a month, and once you accept the position, you find out that is not the case. There is no partial compensation for telephone or internet connectivity. You have to purchase your own phone (they do provide the headset...which is not compatible with most hardphones, so you need to order a specific one which we didn't receive the information on until our final two hours of our last day of training. This is where the schedule now comes in. You don't get weekends off. In fact, you don't even get 2 days in a row off. Time is split, and the shift selection is terrible. Pay, well, let's just say it for what it is. They pay 9.50 an hr.

The training staff would frequently complain and blame others within the company for things not working (not a good sign from any form of leadership). I would routinely hear that the tools available weren't the best, and really didn't work correctly as is.

In summary. Startek sold me some beachfront property in the rockies and when I was in the fold, found out that I was underpaid, not appreciated in the slightest, management was terrible at best, and then when issues were on their end, they simply abandon their remote employees.

Instead of having 3 separate interviewers from 3 separate locations selling potential employees on these positions you need to be upfront and streamline the process. You need to provide accurate information, and DRASTICALLY improve your training materials and staff.

I started working tech support back in the 90's and have managed teams for high profile companies within call centers. I've seen this industry from it's infancy when there was no standard for service to the strict guidelines today of qp profiles and pages of performance metrics. In all of my time in this business, I have never witnessed such disarray, misinformation, incompetence, and overall lack of substance. It's obvious you are an outsourcing company and you are just putting warm meat in a chair to answer the phone. The product I was representing is a solid product from a good company. It's a shame that a good company that wants to streamline their processes through outsourcing aren't getting what they are paying for.

Complete Joke - No Direction - No Leaders - No Outlook

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at StarTek full-time for more than a year

Pros

Medical benefits were at least standard, management pretends to care but secretly does not.

Cons

There is no room for personal growth. Company refuses to entertain better and more efficient ways of doing business. Industry best practices are not adhered to, and they are only concerned with covering themselves legally. You do get PTO but it's very little, when on salary you are expected to be available 100% of the time.

Cult-like atmosphere, those that assimilate will do well, those that vocalize their opinions are targeted for termination. Management takes great delight in targeting employees, and slapping the hand of anyone who dares to care about a workers opinion or feelings.

Consider opening yourself up to feedback. Do not make ridiculous agreements with clients. Respect employees personal lives. You shouldn't pry into why employees are sick. Don't make threats and intimidate employees into submitting to ludicrous points of view that do nothing to move your business forward. Stay out of the rumor mill. Your management......act like it. Do not promote imbeciles with no management experience w/out providing oversight and accountability into their actions.

Adhere to your own policies regarding interviews. All qualified candidates must be interviewed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Positive momentum

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Mansfield, OH
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Mansfield, OH

I have been working at StarTek full-time for less than a year

Pros

I like the leadership, I like the management, I like the friendliness and competitiveness atmosphere. I had heard a LOT of negative things about this place before starting here, but I try not to let the opinions of others become my own reality, so I am giving it a shot!

Cons

Compensation is a little lower than I would hope, but not unreasonable for the area here in Mansfield. There are higher paying jobs coming with some additional clients though, targeting for 4th quarter 2014!

Continue to make tweaks and changes and improvements

The position and benefits were satisfactory, but the base pay was too low.

I worked at StarTek full-time

Pros

Extensive training, benefits and you work from home.

Cons

Hourly base salary is too low.

Provide more advancement opportunities.

They don't care about employees at all, Management are a bunch of liars.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at StarTek full-time for less than a year

Pros

No pros for this place do not apply for the k12 position it is just temporary however they will not tell you that.

Cons

Management do not care, they are a bunch of liars. Currently at the Co Spgs location they have a temporary 3 month job,, and are not telling the prospective employees, they will be gone after 3 months, They are liars and deceitful people. DO NOT APPLY AT THIS PLACE.....

Treat people like people. STOP LYING

Great place to work getting started in IT

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Alexandria, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, LA

I have been working at StarTek full-time for more than a year

Pros

The atmosphere in the IT department is very team oriented. If I ever had an issue that I needed advice on all I would have to do is send a message to a neighboring call center tech and they would offer advice on how they resolved the issue in the past. I was able to gain lots of desktop support experience in a short amount of time.

Schedule is very flexible and as IT there is no direct manager on site. Manager/Supervisor direction is very minimal. You are given a task and due date and it's up to you on how you get it done and when you want to tackle the project. So long as you put in your time and get the work done leadership is very happy.

Cons

Pay scale on the low end in my market.

This review is for the IT dept only. Other departments may have different environments.

Advice to IT Management - Invest in your people and allow them to expand their knowledge base.

Keep up the good work.

Management is the worst

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Grand Junction, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grand Junction, CO

I worked at StarTek full-time for more than a year

Pros

None. Nothing is good about this company.

Cons

Management is incompetent. I worked with a great group of people and I felt like our team was quite successful, however the management brought everyone down. One woman who got promoted to management after three months on the job let it go to her head. She would yell at the team, make up lies about people she didn't like, and take her "fake complaints" to HR just to get those people in trouble, even though they never did anything wrong. She actually got someone fired by lying to HR about them.

The HR manager was completely rude, unfair and bias. She was not someone I would want controlling that department. She played favorites and treated everyone else badly. She would come in late, leave early, and constantly close her door so she could talk on her cell phone and have her personal conversations on the company dime.

They didn't do a very good job of training people once they were hired. They claim they provide paid training and once you start you'll be able to completely do your job without having any questions. Lies! They do provide training but afterward most people were lost on what to do, no one seemed to want to help, and our supervisor at the time stepped down because he was so confused on what his job expectations were.

Most people here just do their job and go home. Some get caught up in the office gossip and try to get involved in other people's lives. Some people were friendly but some were just down right rude, even on the phone to customers. Whenever someone would complain to HR it was not kept confidential, the HR manager would go around and ask people what their thoughts were regarding the complaint. She would often order pizza to be delivered to her office and invite her favorite employees up there to share the pizza with her. She was not professional at all and walked around gossiping more than attempting to do her job.

Hire people to work. Don't hire people to play and gossip. This is a place of business, not a middle school. Take control of the company by providing decent training and ridding the building of "management" that likes to act like toddlers.

Under Time Warner Cable account who assist customer w/some tech queries

I worked at StarTek

Pros

Environment especially very supportive Team Lead and team mates

Cons

Working in different shifting schedules

More activities to help them be closer.

Worst Place Ever!

Former Employee - WAH Retention  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - WAH Retention in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at StarTek full-time for less than a year

Pros

There were no pros while working for Star Tek.

Cons

This is the worst place I have ever worked! horrible management, not at the local level but at the corporate level. pay was never correct, the WAH tech support was beyond horrible and cant understand them, they don't help you when your system is down. Didn't get paid for down time when their system was down , but was expected to sit there for days until they fixed it. the only way I could sign up for my medical benefits was on their system, and mine as well as others were down, and we were told we had to wait until open enrollment. Turn over rate so high we had to work in departments that we were not trained in but would be reprimanded for doing something wrong. I could go on and on about the cons. If you are considering working here run the other way!

Get your act together. Don't make promises to employees you cant keep. Your tech support was the worst I have ever experienced, and did not want to help us get back up and running. I did not see concern for your employees one time I was working there. After I had been down for over a week, after my manager told me (And was written in your contract with us) that if we are down due to our own computers at home or internet etc we would not be paid, however if we are down and have tech involved and service numbers etc we would be paid. We were expected to sit by our computers and wait for tech support to contact us, and there were many of us. None of us were ever paid for that time, and at Christmas time. Your company and lack of caring for your employees and having a less than functional tech support group caused many families to have no Christmas! You got one star on the below because it was the lowest option for me to use. I would not recommend anyone to work for your company.

Worked for StarTek? Contribute to the Community!