StarTek Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
2.5

StarTek CEO Chad Carlson
Chad Carlson

Pros
  • Decent managers, work from home in some positions (in 9 reviews)

• Generally, with any call center it depends on the client (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Call center work is always tough, but that atmosphere of we are in this together helps a lot (in 5 reviews)

• EGO, EGO, EGO, not a good combination with customer service and sales (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Really great company

I worked at StarTek full-time (less than an year)

Pros

training was great. Great pay and good job for college student

Cons

No advance path, no plan of advancement for employee

Decent but needs improvement

Former Employee - Customer Account Executive (Comcast) in Grand Junction, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Account Executive (Comcast) in Grand Junction, CO

I worked at StarTek full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ive worked at several call centers. StarTek was the best one I had worked at. Generally, with any call center it depends on the client. One client might have it good, while others have it bad. I worked for Comcast, so I had it much better than people who did AT&T. It was very relaxed, the environment was considerably friendly (for the most part), there was alot of freedom, good pay (compared to other call centers), and decent flexibility with schedule. The work was incredibly easy as well.

Cons

Startek and their clients really do not care about the employees. That is something that becomes obvious after working there for some time. They see you as easily replaceable commodities, and only easily replaceable commodities. They will train you on something then say "oh nevermind you have to do this now". They started adding considerably more work on us and not paying us any more money. The job I had in technical support, now has to do billing AND sales. They almost tripled our work. They were constantly changing policy and rules. The whole thing was in a constant state of flux and they would constantly lie to us and give us false information about what was actually going on.

They made us all work Christmas and Thanksgiving after promising we would get those off. They didn't give people bonuses they were supposed to get. We were supposed to get paid more for working late, that didn't happen. When I was there, the call grading system needed alot of improvement. My manager was very immature and had it out for me and someone else who worked with me, as a sort of weird vendetta. Still, to this day we do not know why that was. It was really hard to deal with to say the least. She would just catch us, make things up about things we did on a call, and threaten to fire us regularly. You saw ALOT of this kind of high school mentality there.

There was also alot of sex going on. This is something that happens at any call center. This particular call center however, had at least one supervisor involved who never got in trouble. He would constantly make sexual comments and advances to girls under him. I probably heard a dozen girls complain to me, and I'm a guy. The fact those girls felt comfortable telling me this makes me think there were actually much more of them. There were guys flirting and constantly trying to pick up girls, lots of sleeping around, etc.

Be more professional. Do not let your personal issues interfere with the people under you. Actually care about those people. Don't give information about what will happen or is happening if you don't actually know, and don't make promises you are going to break. Don't be rude to your employees.

Maintaining/Troubleshooting Avaya VoIP call centers

Former Employee - Telecom Administrator in Greenwood Village, CO
    Former Employee - Telecom Administrator in Greenwood Village, CO

I worked at StarTek as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Virtual Office. Experience in callflow vectoring,VDN's

Cons

Was A contract to hire but during contract, StarTek outsource the voice portion out to Spoken Technologies that had shortened what I thought was a great opportunity

Have no complaints

I love startek

Current Employee - Tech Support Representative in Greeley, CO
    Current Employee - Tech Support Representative in Greeley, CO

I have been working at StarTek full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good bonus matrix if you meet your goals and have good attendance expect a nice bonus.

Cons

Hard to get weekends off

Its not a bad company to work for. The pay could be better

Current Employee - Universal Agent in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Universal Agent in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at StarTek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity for advancement is a plus but as I stated the company has too many employees and your more consider just a number than a value employee.

Cons

The pay isn't that great for the amount of work ask to do.I feel I should be making much more on the hour.

I feel like I'm being micro manage at this company because of the turnover.

Leaves a lot to be desired

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Decatur, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Decatur, IL

I worked at StarTek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Promote from within. Pay is competitive for the job markets they exist within. Offer benefits; PTO, Health, Dental. Holiday Pay

Cons

Will embellish on possibilities in order to get what they want from employees. Very Political environment- just like high school only worse. Change company policies like the wind in order to hire and fire and demote as they please

Treat others as you wish to be treated. You can start with Respect

So many things wrong here

Current Employee - Universal Representative in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Universal Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at StarTek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can work at home...at least until they say you have to come in then you can start looking for a new job.

Cons

Very high turnover (reps and managers),pay issues, constant changes, lies broken promises. Cult-ish atmosphere. crap pay.

Get it together.

Contractual Work

Current Employee - VBA Programmer in Shelbyville, TN
    Current Employee - VBA Programmer in Shelbyville, TN

I have been working at StarTek as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The employees are very good people. They are positive and easy going. They are knowledgeable about their company and its needs. Compensation is good and prompt. the allow you to work remotely.

Cons

They need a little more organization when specifying the needs of a particular project and its technical parameters. The remote access of working has a little bit of a time delay, but not much.

Working from home is not enough incentive to stay

Current Employee - WAH Universal Agent in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - WAH Universal Agent in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at StarTek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working from Home is the only positive thing about this job.

Cons

The rules change on a daily bases.You cannot get a clear answer from management. Don't even bother with the HR dept in Cincinnati. They have no idea on what they are doing. The computer and phone systems keeps crashing. My system has been down for days at times and I don't get paid for their problems. They have shift bids about every 4 months and make up new rules on how you can qualify for a better work shift. There is nothing positive to say about this company. I doubt if they will be around much longer. Run the other way if they offer you a job!

Start treating your employees like intelligent beings.

They have mandatory overtime, if you don't stay they find some way to get rid of you.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mansfield, OH

I worked at StarTek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good training and time with trainers to learn system

Cons

need to have background in office machines (computer, typing skills, and multi-line phone system.)