StarTek

Updated August 19, 2014

2.8

StarTek CEO Chad Carlson
Chad Carlson

Pros
  • Working from Home is the only positive thing about this job (in 6 reviews)

• Generally, with any call center it depends on the client (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • 50 an hour customer service reps pay (in 6 reviews)

• Very Political environment- just like high school only worse (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Contractual Work

Current Employee - VBA Programmer  in  Shelbyville, TN
    Current Employee - VBA Programmer in Shelbyville, TN

Pros

The employees are very good people. They are positive and easy going. They are knowledgeable about their company and its needs. Compensation is good and prompt. the allow you to work remotely.

Cons

They need a little more organization when specifying the needs of a particular project and its technical parameters. The remote access of working has a little bit of a time delay, but not much.

Working from home is not enough incentive to stay

Current Employee - WAH Universal Agent  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - WAH Universal Agent in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Working from Home is the only positive thing about this job.

Cons

The rules change on a daily bases.You cannot get a clear answer from management. Don't even bother with the HR dept in Cincinnati. They have no idea on what they are doing. The computer and phone systems keeps crashing. My system has been down for days at times and I don't get paid for their problems. They have shift bids about every 4 months and make up new rules on how you can qualify for a better work shift. There is nothing positive to say about this company. I doubt if they will be around much longer. Run the other way if they offer you a job!

Start treating your employees like intelligent beings.

They have mandatory overtime, if you don't stay they find some way to get rid of you.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mansfield, OH

Pros

Good training and time with trainers to learn system

Cons

need to have background in office machines (computer, typing skills, and multi-line phone system.)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked as a customer service representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mansfield, OH

Pros

Teamwork is high and expected

Cons

Turnover is high because training is always completed before the employee can do the job

Encourage all CSR's and their management team to support that CSR when there are problems

Very Bad Place to Work

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Get hired quick, has benefits

Cons

No support, not enough training, being lied to and expected to lie to customers.

Get people in Management that know how to train and talk to people instead of lying.

Tech for Comcast

Pros

Co-workers all get along well

Cons

Getting yelled at by angry customers

Poor Company to work for

Former Employee - Sales  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Sales in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Felt at first there was alot of potential for career advancement. This is not the case. They talk a good talk and keep everyone at a very low pay to make a pretty penny for the company, slave drivers.

Cons

First Payroll check NSF'd and took 2 weeks for Startek to correct it on top of reimbursing me my bank fees. Every day I would see a flash on the trainers computer that someone in the company had quit or had been fired. Very Very high overturn, will never recommend this co. to anyone. Awful pay, just above minimum wage

Great Place to Work...Most of the time.

Current Employee - Supervisor I  in  Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Supervisor I in Lynchburg, VA

Pros

I was promoted multiple times, thorough training, pretty good benefits, team environment, and typically a fun place to be.

Cons

It was a very juvenile place to work in that people would gossip and spread lies if they didn't like you. The salary was rather low for the work performed.

Site Directors shouldn't micromanage when they have no understanding as to the different department or job functions. If you have an issue with an employee, give them an opportunity to defend themselves and give their side of the story.

Don't ever think about working here...

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Grand Junction, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grand Junction, CO

Pros

The pay is decent, not great but livable, *40 hours a week (More in the cons)

Cons

Let's start with the majority of the employees. They are mostly fresh from high school kids with more drama and stupidity than I thought was imaginable... Always complaining about the customers they get on the phones. All I hear on the smoke dock is "This customer was so dumb!" "customer said this and it made me so mad!" ect.... When there is a little bit of a down time, agents talk among themselves, and have no respect for people that are on a call. Many times have customers asked me if some one was cussing, have the other people around me "Shut Up", or get fed up with all the background noise, and just hang up.

Supervisors/Management... This part of StarTek Grand Junction is horrible. I have a friend who is neighbors with my supervisor, and my friend tells me all the time that my supervisor wants to get rid of his whole team, and get new hires because we have a few bad days or what have you. My Supervisor and a couple others, will talk down about other employees, to other employees. Talk down about them like, how they will never succeed in the real world, how they will end up homeless, and never get anywhere in life, just because they had a bad day metrics wise.

Supervisors are supposed to supervise and support their team. It's kinda hard when they are never around. Many countless times have all the supervisors just vanish and show up a couple hours later, leaving all the agents wondering where such and such supervisor is because they need help.

Some supervisors have used slander to get someone to do a better job.

I spoke with one of the higher management ladies about needing a couple days off due to a medical condition, to which they replied that they will take care of it and go get better. After I was feeling better and went back to work, I was greeted to a First And Final about attendance because the higher management lady, never put it in my schedule that I would have gone for 2 days approved and never let my supervisor know. They said I should have been fired for "No Call, No Show" but they gave me another chance. And no one ever spoke up to take the blame.

40 hours a week, now that may not sound like a con, but they say you will always get 40 hours a week. Thats great and all, but when it gets slow, they make you go home. They will send you home and they don't care if you NEED the full 40 hours. I have been asked by my supervisor if I had any motivation to work here, because I haven't worked a full week since JANUARY and it is now OCTOBER. And I explained that it was due to them always sending me home. He just brushed it off and told me to get my act together.

Constant rule changes, which is ok, but at least let your employees know in advance, instead of walking in one morning and telling us "Oh, if you don't do this, you will get a first and final!"
    In the past few weeks, they have changed many rules and countless people have been getting fired for such little, mundane things. I was almost fired because I didn't ask for a payment. The customer told me he had no money on his card or bank account and only had cash and needed a location where he could make his payment. I'm not going to ask for a payment when the customer just told me he can not do it over the phone... seriously?

One last thing, the management, they are only customer service reps like the rest of the people at startek, they just had good metrics and attendance. No training, they have no idea how to do their job. but they got promoted because of good metrics... ugh...

Grow up, learn your job, stay at your post because you are needed, stop treating your employees like they are just some replaceable pawn that you don't care one bit about.

Feels like a slave trad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

It's a job.....if you want to call it that

Cons

HR is an absolute joke.....the dude in Cincinnati is worthless, screws up the paperwork so you don't get paid on time or right.

The pay, even for management, qualifies for free lunch at schools - IF you even get paid. Forget raises cause they "get locked in the system and can't be processed"

Bed Bugs

Trainers are idiots

Support system is horrendous

Tech support is worse than ticket pushers, they push the wrong direction

No on really gives a rat's you know what about anyone there even though they "practice" servant leadership

Grow up and be a real company with a sense of responsibility

Worked for StarTek? Contribute to the Community!