StarTek

Updated January 15, 2015
2.7

StarTek CEO Chad Carlson
Chad Carlson

Pros
  • Decent managers, work from home in some positions (in 10 reviews)

• Generally, with any call center it depends on the client (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • EGO, EGO, EGO, not a good combination with customer service and sales (in 6 reviews)

• Call center work is always tough, but that atmosphere of we are in this together helps a lot (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor Company to work for

Former Employee - Sales in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Sales in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at StarTek full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Felt at first there was alot of potential for career advancement. This is not the case. They talk a good talk and keep everyone at a very low pay to make a pretty penny for the company, slave drivers.

Cons

First Payroll check NSF'd and took 2 weeks for Startek to correct it on top of reimbursing me my bank fees. Every day I would see a flash on the trainers computer that someone in the company had quit or had been fired. Very Very high overturn, will never recommend this co. to anyone. Awful pay, just above minimum wage

Very Bad Place to Work

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at StarTek full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Get hired quick, has benefits

Cons

No support, not enough training, being lied to and expected to lie to customers.

Get people in Management that know how to train and talk to people instead of lying.

Great Place to Work...Most of the time.

Current Employee - Supervisor I in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Supervisor I in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at StarTek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was promoted multiple times, thorough training, pretty good benefits, team environment, and typically a fun place to be.

Cons

It was a very juvenile place to work in that people would gossip and spread lies if they didn't like you. The salary was rather low for the work performed.

Site Directors shouldn't micromanage when they have no understanding as to the different department or job functions. If you have an issue with an employee, give them an opportunity to defend themselves and give their side of the story.

Don't ever think about working here...

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grand Junction, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grand Junction, CO

I have been working at StarTek full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent, not great but livable, *40 hours a week (More in the cons)

Cons

Let's start with the majority of the employees. They are mostly fresh from high school kids with more drama and stupidity than I thought was imaginable... Always complaining about the customers they get on the phones. All I hear on the smoke dock is "This customer was so dumb!" "customer said this and it made me so mad!" ect.... When there is a little bit of a down time, agents talk among themselves, and have no respect for people that are on a call. Many times have customers asked me if some one was cussing, have the other people around me "Shut Up", or get fed up with all the background noise, and just hang up.

Supervisors/Management... This part of StarTek Grand Junction is horrible. I have a friend who is neighbors with my supervisor, and my friend tells me all the time that my supervisor wants to get rid of his whole team, and get new hires because we have a few bad days or what have you. My Supervisor and a couple others, will talk down about other employees, to other employees. Talk down about them like, how they will never succeed in the real world, how they will end up homeless, and never get anywhere in life, just because they had a bad day metrics wise.

Supervisors are supposed to supervise and support their team. It's kinda hard when they are never around. Many countless times have all the supervisors just vanish and show up a couple hours later, leaving all the agents wondering where such and such supervisor is because they need help.

Some supervisors have used slander to get someone to do a better job.

I spoke with one of the higher management ladies about needing a couple days off due to a medical condition, to which they replied that they will take care of it and go get better. After I was feeling better and went back to work, I was greeted to a First And Final about attendance because the higher management lady, never put it in my schedule that I would have gone for 2 days approved and never let my supervisor know. They said I should have been fired for "No Call, No Show" but they gave me another chance. And no one ever spoke up to take the blame.

40 hours a week, now that may not sound like a con, but they say you will always get 40 hours a week. Thats great and all, but when it gets slow, they make you go home. They will send you home and they don't care if you NEED the full 40 hours. I have been asked by my supervisor if I had any motivation to work here, because I haven't worked a full week since JANUARY and it is now OCTOBER. And I explained that it was due to them always sending me home. He just brushed it off and told me to get my act together.

Constant rule changes, which is ok, but at least let your employees know in advance, instead of walking in one morning and telling us "Oh, if you don't do this, you will get a first and final!"
    In the past few weeks, they have changed many rules and countless people have been getting fired for such little, mundane things. I was almost fired because I didn't ask for a payment. The customer told me he had no money on his card or bank account and only had cash and needed a location where he could make his payment. I'm not going to ask for a payment when the customer just told me he can not do it over the phone... seriously?

One last thing, the management, they are only customer service reps like the rest of the people at startek, they just had good metrics and attendance. No training, they have no idea how to do their job. but they got promoted because of good metrics... ugh...

Grow up, learn your job, stay at your post because you are needed, stop treating your employees like they are just some replaceable pawn that you don't care one bit about.

Feels like a slave trad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at StarTek full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a job.....if you want to call it that

Cons

HR is an absolute joke.....the dude in Cincinnati is worthless, screws up the paperwork so you don't get paid on time or right.

The pay, even for management, qualifies for free lunch at schools - IF you even get paid. Forget raises cause they "get locked in the system and can't be processed"

Bed Bugs

Trainers are idiots

Support system is horrendous

Tech support is worse than ticket pushers, they push the wrong direction

No on really gives a rat's you know what about anyone there even though they "practice" servant leadership

Grow up and be a real company with a sense of responsibility

Really laid back

Current Employee - LSS in Grand Junction, CO
    Current Employee - LSS in Grand Junction, CO

I have been working at StarTek full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Really laid back job, not much work to do in my department

Cons

doesn't pay well at all

increase the wages

Long time employee

Current Employee - Customer Service Team Lead in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Team Lead in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at StarTek full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The pros are the employees, clients, and PTO

Cons

The Cons are pay, management, organization

Learn the job that your agents perform, learn from your mistakes and be as honest as possible

The Leadership Team is horrible

Current Employee - Supervisor I in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Supervisor I in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at StarTek full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get to work from home for a legit company

Cons

the pay is terrible, even for the management team and you work 12 hour days

Pay your employees above poverty level

Good for a paycheck

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Martinsville, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Martinsville, VA

I worked at StarTek full-time (more than a year)

Pros

*Team leaders seemed concerned about my performance *Management could be understanding at times. *Facility was nice *Lots of employee incentives.

Cons

*Very strict attendance policy *Metrics that you could meet, but changed constantly *Policies changed often (which is fine if you are notified) *Shift could change when they deemed it necessary with your needs not taken into account

Treat employees like people, not cattle.

Fun and intense

I worked at StarTek full-time

Pros

Great facility, people, accountability culture

Cons

Long hours led to work/life imbalance

StarTek Photos