Starbucks Reviews in Boston, MA

4,486 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,053 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 401 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field (in 109 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners (in 114 reviews)

More Highlights

59 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good coworkers, fast-paced workplace

Current Employee - Barista  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Barista in Boston, MA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great employee benefits, mostly good partners, form connections with regulars, flexible hours. It's mostly enjoyable, but some days are tougher than others.

Cons

Higher level management is often not so great due to a lack of understanding,work can be very tiring, rude customers can take a mental toll.

Perhaps have upper level management work as a barista for a bit- they'd be much more understanding. They tend to be removed from what actually goes on in the stores.

Good experience overall. Not paid enough for the things you deal with as an SFM

Current Employee - Shift Manager  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are incredible, and the partners are amazing. The job itself is super faced paced (which I love)

Cons

The amount of mahal labor and awful customers you have to deal with make some if not most days entirely unbearable.

Help your baristas. Be there on the bad days and see and understand what your teams are going through. Don't jump to conclusions and see through corporate eyes at all times.

Great Benefits

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Boston, MA

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits package for a shift supervisor including paid vacation hours, health insurance, stock options and a 401(k) plan and competitive pay to start along with quarterly reviews that include pay increases if you do well.

Cons

The higher-ups in the company are CONSTANTLY changing their deployment systems and it can get very confusing for employees. Starbucks should follow the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Stick with one system of deployment on the floor and leave it at that. Also, make the focus on quality COFFEE again - enough with all of the non-coffee beverages.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

slave

Former Employee - Shift Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

nice pay, coworkers, customers, benefits, tuition

Cons

dont expect a shift leader to manage a store for 8 months without paying them salary. slaving for hours on end everyday and not getting paid for the work you are doing. stop being cheap and paying people less to run a store when we should be getting salary if we are managing.

get a manager.

Shift Manager

Current Employee - Shift Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people that you work with. I get to meet many different kinds of people because of the nature of the jobs with most employees being in transition. And some of the people that I crossed path with are the nicest people I've met. The relationships and bonds that I built with my coworkers are unlike any other I'd had on my past jobs. This is the most rewarding part of the job.

Cons

As a shift manager, which is a relatively new and underdeveloped position, you are given a lot more responsibilities than a supervisor. But unfortunately since this position is not salaried, it is impossible to cram in 60 hrs of work into 40 hrs. You are basically being set up to fail in a sense. If you are driven and aspire to move up in the company, you find yourself working off the clock a lot just to get work done, which is unacceptable and you will also burn yourself out.

Either give more work time to the shift manager team or adjust their responsibilities.

Corporate America

Current Employee - Store Manager Starbucks  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Store Manager Starbucks in Boston, MA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

benefits; work environment; store partners; discount; free coffee; partner perks

Cons

Salary cap; work life balance; senior leadership does not have a grasp on what really happens in the stores; politics for promotion

Great Experience while in College

Former Employee - Barista  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Barista in Boston, MA

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work hours, early work hours, steady salary raises, good benefits, good mentorship

Cons

Tips depend on the store location and the holiday season and learning curve can be difficult at first

Barista

Current Employee - Barista  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Barista in Boston, MA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free drinks while working, and the employees/managers are all easy to get along with.

Cons

Often it's hard to find a cover, and in that same vain if someone doesn't find a cover you're basically short that shift (which is very difficult, because of how busy we are.)

Decent company to work for, but for me, the work was monotonous.

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Boston, MA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits at Starbucks are very good for those who need them. The company creates an atmosphere that showcases that it cares about your success. Stock options are great.

Cons

Stores are often under-staffed and employees are often under-trained. On occasion, managers will bypass proper barista training modules in order to get shift supervisors more familiar with the business and cash-handling aspects of their position.

Promote shifts who are capable.
    Add better loss prevention controls.

Enjoying this job depends solely and heavily upon the Store Manager you have.

Current Employee - Shift Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent insurance and employee assistance

Cons

Poor management will make this job a living hell.

Listen to what the baristas have to say about the Store Manager. Allowing management to slack off causes poor work ethic in underlings and a low moral. Don't allow people who think setting others up for failure as the best method of training to run your stores. It is a recipe for disaster.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!