Starbucks

Starbucks Reviews in California

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz

Howard D. Schultz

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees(in 401 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week(in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field(in 109 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners(in 114 reviews)

578 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place

Barista (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThey have flexible scheduling, the staff is very professional with practically no office drama.

ConsVery minor hazing at my store, but management is cracking down on it. Not too big of a deal.

It wasn't bad

Barista (Former Employee) Nipomo, CA

ProsIt had a good benefits package, and mostly a good atmosphere with most of the baristas and supervisors being very kind and courteous.

ConsThe store manager is a nut. The district manager is a nut. And the bureaucracy is huge, if you've worked for corporations before, you know what I mean.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe benefits that you give to the partners are outstanding, keep it up. Take a look at the management, I feel like the good managers and good workers get shafted while the backstabbers and the toadies and the bootlickers get rewarded.

Working here is ok I guess

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsFun people and free coffee

ConsLazy people tough to fire

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My work experience

Barista - Starbucks (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat opportunities, hours, education on products! Benefits are awesome!!

ConsTakes forever to advance. I have years experience in retail and management. You start from the bottom and have to work your way up.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was really nice, supportive, communicative, responsive

Shift Supervisor

Barista, Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Goleta, CA

ProsFun environment at times, always something to do so you never get bored, benefits are great

ConsUnreasonable expectations with little pay and raises are a joke

Fast paced job with flexible hours

Barista (Current Employee) Vacaville, CA

Prosthe people are amazing and every one delivers amazing customer service.amazing benefits 401K +, 30% off discount and free drinks while your working.

Constoo many promos to keep up with, hard to get shifts covered, You have to pay for food, the match of your 401K is very low.

Advice to Senior Managementtry more only because your on salary doesn't make it ok to disappear when you want.

Learning and influential.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Richmond, CA

ProsBenefits, social aspect, leadership, responsibility and flexible hours.

ConsBosses nagging over you to hit promos and goals. Corrupt leadership at times, time-off policies skewed depending on manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with the utmost respect and regard and they will do the same in return.

A great company that supports its partners.

Barista (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsPart time benefits, flexible scheduling, green practices, free coffee! There are many locations nationally and transferring for whatever reason is typically an option. Oh, did I mention free coffee by the pound every week?

ConsEmployees tend to be on the younger side. Raises decided based on merit, but it's a slow advancement by minimal increase. Requires many hours standing and repetitive motions can be a problem.

Great experience with customer, however upper management was not so great experience.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) San Bernardino, CA

ProsThe team was great, customers were fun and entertaining. I got days off I needed for personal time as long as I was a dependable employee. The managers I worked with were absolutely awesome, down to earth and compassionate to all employees. These were the people who keep my faith in working with a solid company. Mostly a good experience. That is until you meet upper management!

ConsPromotions are not too easy to come by. The training program(s) was always constantly changing, policies were being updated every few months which led to confusion to many stores, especially if you were a long term employee. I had a new district manager every 5 or 6 months during my tenure of 4 years, a total of 6!
    Each one with different ideas and interpretations of company policies and procedures. Several "outside" hires without any prior knowledge or know how of what it actually takes to run a Starbucks!

Advice to Senior ManagementMany years ago Starbucks was known to be "the" company to work for. Starbucks has taken a backseat to "caring" for their backbone of the company, the baristas. I have seen several good employees let go/separated for ludicrous reasons while several bad employees are kept around for years. I don't get it. Starbucks claims to be for the customers but yet fails to be for the fellow baristas. Take time to get feedback from your baristas. Not just a yearly "partner survey" , be available and proactive and make the lines of communication comfortable. Several employees were just too scared to bring up these issues for fear of loss of hours or job. Especially if the District Manager has no people skills and is condescending to others including their Store Managers.

Starbucks is one of the best coffee places to get coffee. the people are always so friendly....they always have a smile.

Barista (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsNever worked here but hoping too because the environment is great to be around.

ConsI noticed its fast paced.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe people should be able to grow more within the company.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!