Starbucks

5,361 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,584 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 131 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 140 reviews)

More Highlights

717 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I worked here during high school, and it was pleasant.

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Santa Clarita, CA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Santa Clarita, CA

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

As a barista, you are encouraged to "connect" with customers--that is, get to know them on a personal level. Some might find the thought of memorizing the menu and recipes daunting, but they are very patient while training. Most of the people there are cool.

Cons

Lots of cleaning. Constantly working--if you're not making a drink or cleaning something, you're doing something wrong. A cut above minimum wage isn't that great.

Working for Starbucks was great job while I was getting my Bachelors degree.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Starbucks has a high energy atmosphere that promotes making friends with coworkers and customers. Some of my customers were absolutely amazing. I learned how to network and how to make people happy while working here.

Cons

Crazy schedules and once in a while you get a customer that is the rudest person you have ever met.

Beneficial but stressful

Current Employee - Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great team. Good Company. Great benefits.

Cons

Stressful. Not enough recognition. Raises are not significant enough.

More raises. A 'significant' $0.50 raise doesn't help much.

Excellent customer service and fast paced environment

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Working as a team
    Flexible hours
    Excellent support from corporate

Cons

Sometimes the environment can be overwhelming to some. High turnover rate which makes team building difficult at times.

Starbucks: a provider of everlasting opportunity and communities deeply-rooted in compassion and unity

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

The chance to experience so many various cultures and personalities in one dwelling is an opportunity I will never take for granted. I remember feeling overwhelmed with joy, excitement, and a sense of belonging when I was offered a role on my team. To this day, I absolutely love and cherish the team of extraordinary individuals I work with and the loyal and wonderful people I serve each day. From a business take on things, this company has always had the employees' best interests at the top of their to-do list (i.e. investing in our college education, 401(K) and stock options, paid leave, and growth opportunities).

Cons

I have heard partners complain over the years about many things. However, we are reminded consistently on a day-to-day basis that Starbucks invests so much into our well-being and success. Frankly, cons have not presented themselves to me.

Being in a supervisory role has impacted me deeply on a professional level and in my personal life. Managing and supervising a Starbucks store has solidified my ability to lead confidently, communicate calmly and concisely, and more importantly has allowed me to watch those on my team develop and expand in their roles on and off the floor.

This place is awesome to work at. The people are very nice. I loved working here. It was great.

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Irvine, CA

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Great satff, great benefits, goot times. I really enjoyed the opportunity to work here. It was great.

Cons

Lots of traffic through the door make things difficult. IT was a little challenging at times. Sometimes I felt overwhelmed.

Doing what I love and loving what I do

Current Employee - Certified Barista in Newbury Park, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Barista in Newbury Park, CA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Wow!!! I can't even begin to express the pros of this job!! I love the fast paced work, one on one contact with each customer, focus on excellence, wonderful benefits, opportunity to move up in the company and hey... Who doesn't love coffee!!!

Cons

Some would say that the fast paced job and training is challenging. Training was a bit overwhelming at first but I seemed to pick it up quickly!!!

Instructing Partners on Kosher and Vegetarian options so they can recall the options instantly. Also, allowing Stars for Rewards for Gold Card members per item instead of per transaction because customers like to pay for each separate and it hold up the line.

Bad coffee, good company

Former Employee - Barista in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

My experience with Starbucks was positive overall. Management at my store was very accessible and seemed to value anyone who stuck around for more than a few months. My coworkers were awesome.

Cons

Low pay and they won't hire you if you have facial piercings, visible tattoos, etc.

Loved working at Starbucks. Friendly coworkers become family, great management!

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

company values, treat employees well, very professional, and great benefits.

Cons

hard to become full time.

Good benefits, great college job, but hard work depending on the location.

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Starbucks (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are great. Opportunity to move up and very flexible scheduling.

Cons

If you work at a busy location it can feel draining after a 8 hour shift especially when you are short staffed. Customers can be very picky and demanding but you have a lot of regulars who make the job worth it.