Starbucks

Starbucks Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz

Howard D. Schultz

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 401 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field (in 109 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners (in 114 reviews)

More Highlights
117 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great job, but under-appreciated

Barista (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere are great benefit plans, and it's enjoyable to see regular customers and interact with them daily.

ConsThe pay is minimal and I'm not guaranteed the hours I was told I would get when I was hired. My manager is nice when we are not working together, but when she is on the floor working, she is condescending to her employees. Customers are just plain awful, many many of them are rude and treat us like slaves. Opening at 4:30 every morning makes me a grandpa and anti social outside of work so that I can sleep.

Character building experience

Barista - Starbucks (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosstock program
    Benefits
    Customer Service values
    Perks
    Advancement

ConsIssues with scheduling and time off(depends on store manager)

Advice to Senior ManagementCustomers are important, but so are employees

Good and Bad at the same time.

Barista - Starbucks (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMeet all new kinds of people
    make your own drinks
    discounts on products
    great college or hs job for making extra cash

ConsHave to be flexible with scheduling
    long shifts including splits
    can get hectic at times during rushes

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain better

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Barista and Shift Supervisor for Nine Years

Barista (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFlexible hours, great benefits, great co-workers, opportunity to build relationships with customers.

ConsCustomers treating you like you are less than because you work in food service.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor a company that said they wanted partner feedback, I'm not sure they listened very much.

Great place to find work.

Barista - Starbucks (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAbility to rise up through ranks, fast paced, had great managers, benefits are great for part time and full time employees. Hours can be long, but it gives a good flexibility for those in school with stricter schedules. Ability to pick up extra hours.

ConsEarly mornings, can be stress inducing occasionally. Pay could be a little better. Should get reviews every six months, but rarely happened. Things change really often.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to reviews every six months.

Great places to learn great skills

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Lockport, IL

ProsGreat pay, amazing benefits for 20 hr/week and up. Stock Options, 401k, health, dental, vision (all very affordable). Tips every week. Encouragement and support to advance. free coffee!!

ConsIt can be political at times, but ride it out and you will go places with the company. Great job for teens and early 20s as barista or shift, great resume booster

No thanks!

Barista (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLots of coffee and people watching

Conshigh turnover, no one cares about anythang

the bux

Barista (Current Employee) Joliet, IL

ProsFree drinks essentially 24/7 while working, being active all day, learning about and tasting new drinks/coffee blends/teas, free food, can be a positive and fun atmosphere depending on your coworkers and manager where we end up joking around or singing often to keep everyone sane, lots of customer interaction, great benefits even for part time workers, college tuition reimbursement, free stocks

Consstressful. starbucks consistently demands that we cut hours when we are already struggling with not having enough partners on the floor at a time. by cutting hours they just make individual baristas work harder when we already do more than one job as it is, and then they complain when the store isn't always clean or someone's beverage is messed up. corporate (district managers, usually) come in the store maybe once in a month or every couple months for a brief hour, two hour period, and then try to make changes to the store without understanding how the store currently operates. i don't know of anyone who works at starbucks that has a consistent schedule. yes you may always have evening shifts, but it could still vary anywhere from 1pm-5pm to 4pm-12am, and its frustrating to never know what you'll be working, especially when the schedule comes out "2 weeks" ahead of time (our store manager always says the schedule will come out on monday, but it's shocking to see it before wednesday). managers will block off tons of dates that you are not allowed to ask off, months in advance, to make scheduling easier for them, and it can be a nuisance. too many old and useless people are hired here. hold on, i know that sounds harsh- but of the five older (+40) people who have been hired here, only one of them has properly learned to use the computer where orders are put in (YES ONE PERSON), and none of them have grasped how to make drinks quickly or how to sequence their beverages. old people can't learn new tricks and too many in one store causes havok because they can only be put on register or on warming the pastries, and even those they screw up.

TLDR; to sum it up, working part time here would be fun. working full time here is not, the pay is too low (starting at 10 cents above minimum wage with chances for slight raises), and the workload is too much. and dont i repeat do not become a shift supervisor.

Advice to Senior Managementspecifically in regard to district managers, please listen to the baristas! even the manager isnt on the floor as much as baristas and doesn't understand the flow of the store as much as we do, so when you go changing things in a way that you think is for the better, it might, in fact, make absolutely no sense. and store managers, please fire people who are horrible at their jobs with no signs of improving, and stop worrying so much about your bonuses, because the stores suffer for it, and company morale greatly suffers for it. it's horrible to see someone else making as much money as you are when they are literally standing around for half of the day eating and drinking at their leisure. it's actually laughable, and i can't take this company seriously when they let things like this continue, especially when our store is visibly declining in customer satisfaction and efficiency because of these people.

Operate a $2,000,000 on 8 hours a week

Starbucks Store Manager (Current Employee) Woodstock, IL

ProsGreat benefits. Able to buy stock at 5% discount. 20 shares of stock granted each year. Free coffee....did I say free coffee yet.

ConsStore managers get 8 hours a week for managing everything. 2 million dollar store or 250 thousand dollar store. Crazy crazy crazy double digit goals for sales comps. Cuts to the point you aren't allowed to buy markers. Forced to work overtime. Average 60 hour weeks

Advice to Senior Management8 hours.......really are you crazy!!!

Starbucks cares so much about their employees!

Barista (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIt is not a tough job and you learn so many different areas. Your multitasking skills and memorization is strengthened and get amazing benefits and 401k!

ConsOnce you move up to shift supervisor it is a little harder to keep moving up but still possible!

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more full team meetings!

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!