Starbucks

Starbucks Reviews in Cincinnati, OH

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz

Howard D. Schultz

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 401 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field (in 109 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners (in 114 reviews)

More Highlights
12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Worth it

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsAs a full time student, and someone who needs full benefits this company is a miracle. It's pays average for retail but the full benefit package for even part time employees is unheard of. Along with benefits, you get free stuff like crazy. I am a shift supervisor and I can honestly say working at Starbucks has certainly developed me into more of a leader. My store is my home away from home. I just graduated about a month ago, so I intend on moving into my career field, however it's nice to know that I ever need reliable employment I have a job waiting for me.

ConsThe constant changing of hours gets old as well as if you need time off. It sort of depends on the store manager.

indifferent

Barista (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

Prosa lot of the customers are nice and there are a few good benefits once you get past 20 hours per week

Consmost of my coworkers talk about how everyone else is inferior to them the whole day and a lot of drama goes on at my location. also my manager allows many things to happen that should not in terms of how he lets supervisors act towards baristas and how he promotes baristas to supervisor positions. the pay is also pretty dismal. after 3 years im a dollar above minimum wage

Advice to Senior Managementtake the barista's opinions to heart because we are the eyes of the company not just underpaid work horses. also there is a lot of inconsistency among the stores in my district and that causes a difficult time working with the other supervisors at my store as well as other stores because of differing policies within the stores.

Great benefits, but the location I worked at fell apart, and it started with management.

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsBenefits, close relationship with partners, excellent relationships with customers.

ConsLots of dishes and putrid smelling trash.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire competent store managers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing experience

Barista (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsPeople and coffee! I loved working here, if I could work here and retire I probably would. I can't say enough good things about this place. We had a fellow partner (barista) who was diagnosed with cancer. Starbucks kept her insurance/free coffee going until the day she passed. After that, they allowed us to put a plaque in her honor in the store. It was a gesture that wasn't needed, but they did it anyway. Absolutely amazing.

ConsPay isn't great. But the extras help a whole lot!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have an excellent company, if you can pay more, please do!

Good company with an employee and customer focus.

Barista (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsFun and fast paced worked environment that was a challenge and always filled with learning how to work with customers. Starbucks has good benefits and perks for employees -- especially for only part time employees working less than 30 hours a week, for the benefits still apply.

It is great to have a connection with such great fellow partners and also great regular customers. It fosters a sense of community and friendship!

ConsOften repetitive and frustrating work completing the same exact tasks over and over each day.

Pay is ok for part time, but working full time would be hard unless you were salaried. Also can often be stressful when there is a need to get tasks done without the adequate time or workforce to complete.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways in need of more staffing on the floor to help complete all morning, mid and closing tasks that need to be done. Hard to get things properly completed when there are only 2-3 barista's on the floor for the last 4-5 hours of the day.

loved working here!

Barista (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsStarbucks is a fast paced, exciting environment, that hardly ever has a dull moment. If you work hard, you will get tips, which raises the hourly rate pretty well. Their health plan is good, and is available, I think, after 90 days, which is nice.

ConsIt is around minimum wage to start, but with tips it isn't that bad.

Awesome company to work for and even greater opportunities

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsGreat benefits and also a very rewarding career to take part of. I would highly recommend this company to anyone who was interested

ConsRepetitive motion can be easy to overlook on a shift. I suggest rotating positions throughout shifts. Otherwise I consider this one of my top companies to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstill trust in your staff and have consistency in your role whatever it may be. Also remember to recognize positive efforts and work as a team

It's just coffee

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsGreat preparation for future employment opportunities
    Excellent experience in customer service/team building/skills training

ConsThere can be amiguity when trying to get promoted

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline the process for promoting to management from within.

A good experience with good training and great benefits

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsFlexible time, great health benefits, fun environment, ongoing challenges keep it interesting, learn practical skills for business management and development, clear objectives, plenty of locations to keep commutes to a minimum

Consopportunities for advancement have been reduced due to a sluggish economy. Sometimes the advancement opportunities seems to be more dependent on how strong your friendship is with management than how well the store was run, customers were served, co-workers were taken care of, or bottom line was met.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile it's good to have the latitude to make decisions about a persons advancement in part based on your relationship with them, having stronger benchmarks for consideration would be an improvement.

Good place to work

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsGreat benefits. Health, dental, vision, vacation. Also has a stock sharing program. Fun environment to work in. Comprehensive training program.

ConsLack of communication by senior management. Managers are often outside hires. Heavy emphasis placed on retail sales goals. Gets boring fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the position of district manager at Starbucks. This position is usless and provides no effective resource for the baristas,

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!