Starbucks

www.starbucks.com

Starbucks Reviews

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees(in 401 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week(in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field(in 109 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners(in 114 reviews)

Loved it at first.

Barista (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsI loved the people I worked with until most of them quit due to new management.
    -great people
    -clean work environment
    -overall great job

ConsI personally hated the hours. Its either early in the morning or late at night and that is awesome if you don't go to college. Made it really stressful to focus ok school work

I felt like I didn't get paid enough to do half of the stuff that is required of you.

I am very proud to work for the company however the business unit needs to work on the work-life balance.

IT Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsContribute to the greater good of the world. It isn't just about profit.

ConsThe job security feeling could be improved.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on making your employees feel secure in their jobs.

Best place to work

Manager (Current Employee) Newport News, VA

Prosatmosphere
    benefits
    fun
    third place
    great place well structured company with an excellent training program and great benefits that include free pound of coffee each week

Conswage
    very fast pace
    advancement can be tough from a supervisor to get into management. there are few Assistant Manager spots in the company so the supervisor to General Manager jump can be challenging.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great part time job

Barista (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsStarbucks offered GREAT benefits, from tuition reimbursement, accumulated paid time off, discounted health insurance and much more. You meet interesting co-workers and customers. It is a fun job for highcschool and college.

ConsIt can be stressful. As any other retail/service companies, holidays are the busiest time of the year, so it is not so easy to take time off to travel away for the holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication of changes in new products, drinks, and other promotional offers should be handled more effectively. Many times employees have no clue of promotions until the customer informs us.

Corporate Starbucks needs reform.

Barista (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsA real sense of team among the store employees was nice. Of course, this will vary from store to store.

ConsNo time off when you need it... ever... even when you're sick. It was impossible to find anyone willing or able to work for me when I needed it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMostly, corporate Starbucks has screwed up by trying to optimize everything and taking all the guesswork out of customer service, instead making the job mechanical, rigid, and cold, which shows no faith in its employees. In the same breath, though, they tell you to "connect" with customers using an inflexible script. They've stripped their low-level employees of confidence all the while making their lives more miserable by optimizing scheduling (not hiring part-time, flexible employees who are able to cover shifts). This was the case when I worked there, at least. I apologize if this is no longer the case.

It was alright

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIt has good benefits for this type of job, hours are (somewhat) flexible and nonstandard, for those who are into that. You also get some good perks (free drinks!)

ConsThere's a lot of red tape. It also really depends on what store you work at -- some are better than others. The pay is ok for part time but not really for a full time job.

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!

Barista (Current Employee) Pasco, WA

ProsBenefits are amazing (way better compared to others).
    Job is fun!
    Fast-paced. (makes the day fly by)
    Never bored (when you finally get a break from customers you are running to stock and clean)

ConsVery high expectations from management for the pay you receive.
    Don't expect management to praise you.
    Grow thick skin because customers can be extremely rude!

Advice to Senior ManagementStart sucking up early!
    Don't let the pay hold you back from being the very best you can be because you won't excel.

Eh

Barista (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPartner perks. Free coffee and food if lucky

ConsPoor selection of management. Repetitive wherever you go.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick better supervisors and coaches.

A fun job with troubled management

Barista (Current Employee) Silver Spring, MD

Pros-It's generally a fun job and your coworkers will probably be young people you can get along with. I have made some good friends, and if you come on shift with a positive attitude, you will have a good time.

-There are a lot of benefits to working for a big company; one of them being the ability to transfer or pick up shifts almost anywhere you can think of. It also means lots of places to use your 30% discount. Stock options are still a rare benefit for a retail job, and the stock performs well.

-If you stay with the company, you can work your way up to a comfortable income. Many store managers and some district managers started out as baristas.

-The 10 minute breaks at Starbucks are better than most because, hey, you're already in a cafe! Make yourself a free drink and chillax

-It's physically and mentally demanding. Ask any barista how many tasks they can do in the 12 seconds that the blender is running!

Cons-Retail management, at least in my area, is dysfunctional. Some managers, like my own, are more concerned with receiving their various bonuses than being an effective leader for the store. I am continually shocked by some of the sketchy methods used to meet the benchmarks set by corporate (inadequate facilities maintenance, paying baristas cash under the table to meet labor targets, re-steaming old milk to reduce the amount that we need to buy; the list goes on)

-Training is minimal, and turnover is high. Labor allotment always seems just slightly below what we need to get the job done

-The reputation that Starbucks has for quick advancement was formed before 2008 when they were expanding quickly and constantly building new stores. You can still work your way up, but it will take a lot longer than it used to

-Feedback on job performance from the store manager is one-sided. They will let you know instantly if they think you're doing something wrong, but 6-month reviews are done without the knowledge of the barista being reviewed. Nobody is told when their review has taken place. Shift supervisors tend to be more open with feedback.

-Input from baristas regarding store operations are either ignored or condescendingly rejected out of hand. Programs like "Coffee Master" are in place for employee development, but little to no time is given to complete them. I was essentially expected to do the program on my own time (unpaid) if I wanted to be certified.

-Write-ups are at the discretion of the SM and they can be completely arbitrary. Employees have been written up for violations months after the fact, with no proof given and no recourse available. One write-up, or "Corrective Action" does not affect your employment status, but management can hold it over your head years later, in some cases using it to deny you promotions or threaten you with termination

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate management could solve a lot of issues by rethinking the way they give bonuses to store managers. As it stands, the bonuses and unrealistic expectations are an incentive for managers to disobey policy.

World Class Customer Service

ASM (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

Pros-Great benefits
    -Good Networking
    -Fun people
    -Great hours

Cons-Sub par management
    -Poor wages
    -Difficult to promote
    -Hard physical work for very little pay

Advice to Senior Management-Network amongst district managers or store managers.
    -Be in constant contact with Senior manager.
    -Be willing to transfer to other stores or districts.
    -Already have a replacement for yourself.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!