Starbucks

5,318 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,565 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 131 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 140 reviews)

More Highlights

109 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Summer worker

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Starbucks (less than an year)

Pros

Good hours and easy service. I worked at a small branch so we didn't get much service.

Cons

Closing sucked but it was that bad. Some costumers are rude but you learn how to deal with them.

No advice had a great manager. Some of my co workers weren't that great, but overall no bad news.

It is a place I enjoy going to work to everyday.

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

I love the people I work with. I also love getting to really know the customers. They almost become like family.

Cons

It's hard to get everything done that they would like you to in the time given, especially when you're busy.

Good, but image is deteriorating

Former Employee - Barista in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Barista in Denton, TX

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

30% off food, drink, retail plus free drinks while you work.
    The store is open for a long length of time, leaving opportunities to have shifts that are flexible with your schedule. (However doesn't always work out this way.)
    Starbucks employees are generally friendly as customer service is a big deal to the company, so they look for that in hiring candidates. Your coworkers are generally nice and easy to get along with here.

Cons

Management pushes retail coffee bean sales which is hard to do in store as many customers come so that they won't have to make the drink themselves. Almost impossible to do in drive-thru.

VERY difficult if you come in as a barista to be promoted to a shift or higher. Almost impossible to become Assistant Manager, very difficult to become Store Manager. Baristas can work for 8 years without a promotion.

Starbucks no longer caters to coffee lovers. It caters more to general American public that like very sweet drinks. This does increase profit for the company and is not necessarily bad but don't be confused when working here: this is not really a coffee shop anymore. More like coffee flavored dessert drinks at this point.

You will get called in a lot while working because it is very difficult to get shifts covered. Management will seemingly expect you to come in at any time.

Management needs to improve on staffing. Morning workers are generally prioritized over the other partners because it is so busy in the morning, leaving other areas neglected.

My experience with Starbucks was both rewarding and challenging

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lake Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lake Dallas, TX

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Learning how to handle a variety of situations including managing multiple stores and employees at once

Cons

Work life balance= non existent

Respect your employee's personal lives

Love/hate. Making drinks is fun but when there's a huge line it gets frustrating not to mention the cranky/rude peeps

Former Employee - Barista/Cashier in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Barista/Cashier in Dallas, TX

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Health insurance for part time employees. Also if you're interest in colleges they will pay for half of your tuition your freshman and sophomore year, junior and senior year they will pay the full amount if you pass and also it must be done at Phoenix University. Free pound of coffee or tea every week. Tips. Free drink during your beak and after your shift. When you become a partner you are eligible to have discounts at some places such as teavana, sketchers, glasses, clothes/shoes etc.

Cons

You're not just a barista but you also have to clean the cafe take out the trashes, wash the dishes, be cashier, restock fridges, teas, coffee, milk, etc.

It's the benefits and atmosphere that make or break.

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, immediately free coffee, meal while working, medical and dental after 90 days. Great brand

Cons

Low pay. I Thought baristas made more for the work! Very fast paced. It can be cliquish in a juvenile way.

My manager never closed in 2 months while working there. He was temperamental and notoriously rude.

don't work here

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

free coffee, meeting new people, making disgusting drinks

Cons

overworked,underpaid, beat down, under valued, not heard, the culture and values are a joke

listen to employees, customer service starts with valuing and appreciating your employees

Not as Reputation Might Lead You to Believe

Former Employee - Barista in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Barista in Dallas, TX

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Receiving benefits for part time work was nice.

Cons

Partners are passive aggressively punished for maintaining any semblance of a healthy work-life balance.
    When partners don't stand up for themselves they're often run into the ground with weeks sans days off and many dreaded clopens.
    Maintaining the minimum 20 hours/week average for benefits eligibility was usually a dance of balance, sucking up and using what few PTO hours accumulated during that quarter.
    Baristas are expected to perform constantly as happy automata which enjoy scrubbing toilets, drains, and running back and forth from their tasks to help customers, as there is often only one barista left up from during non-peak hours.

Allot hours for deep cleaning.
    Partners seeking advancement shouldn't create a Starbucks version of Hunger Games.
    If it's less than a dollar it's not a good raise.

I love Starbucks

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Euless, TX
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Euless, TX

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I overall just love it. My co-workers, my manager, my customers. Wouldn't change it for the world.

Cons

No cons at all! N/a

As a woke the job is pretty nice. It brings in some fun people and you certainly fall in love with coffee.

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Denton, TX

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free coffee. If you need the insurance, I hear it's good. Your co-workers are usually fun, interesting peopl.

Cons

The customers are very entitled. They can be extremely rude at times. There is usually a ton of animosity between night crew and the morning crew. The company really doesn't pay well. After 5 years (read 8 "raises") I was still making under $10. It's a hard job and a stressful job.