Starbucks Reviews

Reset
4.1
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz

Pros
  • Excellent benefits even for part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • No existence of work life balance (in 131 reviews)

• District managers in the Dallas area are amazingly susceptible to engaging in this gossip - it would be comical if it weren't just sad (in 140 reviews)

1. Siren slave

Former Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Starbucks (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co workers Plenty of opportunities Weekly/Daily mark outs Tips

Cons

Labor can change at any moment

Advice to Management

Management should definitely rethink the annual pay raises introduced earlier this year, I recently just ended my 4 year run with the company. The job was fun, but with the daily demand a partner goes through everyday it's definitely not worth continuing. Hard work being repaid by the ridiculously sad amount management considers a raise.

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Starbucks (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stock options. Paid college tuition for those without a bachelor degree. Good work/life balance. They really do listen to your ideas/feedback,etc.

Cons

Better pay. The benefits are great, but $8.51 an hour is not enough for a barista to live on. I've lost some great peoe to better paying jobs. Customers can be difficult at times.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your partners. A clearer path to getting promoted. It's frustrating to see external hires when you have so many great partners that want to promote but are not given the guidance/classes to develop into those roles.

3. Starbucks in Denver

Former Employee - Barista in Denver, CO

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent hours ability to advance lots of free coffee college benefits regular tips respected brand

Cons

low pay stressful working environment frustrating scheduling system lots of frustrating customers difficult feedback system

Advice to Management

Pay increases need to be implemented across the board. Scheduling needs to take the employee into account more often.

5. Good Demanding Company

Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Great crew to work with. Nice benefits for restaurant business.

Cons

Reviews are not often enough.

6. I absolutely love the community that Starbucks creates.

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Denver, CO

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits! Great people 1 pound of coffee a week!

Cons

Less competitive hourly wage than smaller coffee shops. Hard to get a raise. (due to excellent benefits!)

7. Good transitional job

Former Employee - Barista in Denver, CO

I worked at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits package, flexible hours, fun work environment. Great if you're between careers or in school.

Cons

Shifts tend to skew early (for a night owl like me), customers can sometimes be irritating, constant hectic pace.

Advice to Management

Remember what made your company great at the beginning: take care of your partners.

8. Happy to be a Partner!!

Current Employee - Barista Trainer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Barista Trainer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The recent improvements in policies and benefits truly show how much this company appreciates its employees!! For example: Free college tuition at ASU, partial tuition reimbursement at any other college, weekly tea or coffee mark-outs, free food and beverages when you work, awesome 401(k) plan with company match, company stock plans, great health insurance, discounts, etc.If there is ever an issue, Partner Resources Center is great! Flexible hours are also nice for us full-time college students. Pay, tips, and bonuses aren't half bad either! We really couldn't ask for anything more!

Cons

Customers can be wretched, and even in the worst cases we are still expected to kiss their butt. Things can get very busy, stressful, and downright chaotic with no warning, and usually at times when we are understaffed; breaks are very short, and A LOT of multitasking is required of us. Realistically, however, this is to be expected of any service industry job...

Advice to Management

Please encourage your partners to grow, learn, and help the store and company thrive!! I have seen many DMs, SMs, and ASMs who go out of their way to exclude baristas from literally everything (i.e. company changes and news, seasonal promo set-ups, etc.), and deny them the right to grow and learn (i.e. Barista training and certification, Coffee Master, Barista Trainer, etc.). Understandably, some things are only intended for upper management, but most aren't. There is no reason not to inform and empower the baristas that earn Starbucks its profits.

9. Favoritism runs rampant

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Denver, CO

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free espresso and now free food item per shift

Cons

Manager and shifts show an unimaginable amount of favoritism to certain staff. If you don't connect with them on Facebook, party with them and fit into their demographic expect to be treated as a 2nd class citizen. 8.10 hour finally moved to a starting wage of 8.51/hr

Advice to Management

Train your supervisors and managers on some basics.

10. Great job with good benefits

Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Above all, the work is fun. Benefits package is competitive, and speaks to the company's dedication to it's employees. Goals are clearly set as well as tactics for achieving them. Store managers are given autonomy to achieve store/company goals. Positive culture.

Cons

Salary is on the low end for the scope of responsibilities, but the compensation package reconciles this slightly. Development of existing managers is a low priority. Promotion opportunities exist, but little effort is put forth by leadership to grow managers beyond store level. Leadership above store level often seems overwhelmed. Company encourages work/life balance, but achieving it is difficult and inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Focus on growing leaders with quality face time. District Managers and above have too many stores to grow the managers within their responsibility. Examine pay for store managers.

11. Genuine Connections and Fun Work...Daytime Bartending

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Denver, CO

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you get to work with are outstanding most of the time, and there are certain regulars who really add a lot to your day sometimes. The work is relatively simple, but if you care enough it can be very creative and skillful work. The benefits are also outstanding, Starbucks really cares a lot more about their partners than their customers, which is uncommon in such a large corporate store, but they are always giving us something new to remind us they care.

Cons

All partners don't always perform the same, and it's difficult to get rid of toxic partners. Some of the corporate rules and standards seem arbitrary or straight up pointless. Very inconsistent working atmospheres between stores, you can have a great time or hate your life, depends on where you end up.

Advice to Management

Take more advice from baristas, shifts, and managers, as well as your customers. They ask for almond milk, so you give them orange spiced iced coffee. People really want to tip with credit cards and sbux cards as well, win/win.

Showing 58 of 7,390 reviews