Starbucks

4,998 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,387 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 442 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 221 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 128 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 135 reviews)

More Highlights

72 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I think my store manager makes the real difference in how great my experience has been in my nearly five years with the company. He has been a real mentor to me and an example of what type of manager I am in my full time role. Very hands on.

Cons

If you have time to lean, you have time to clean..... 75% of what a barista does is cleaning.

District managers would be more respected if the baristas could see them roll up their sleeves and put on the apron. Lead by example.

It's good but it can also be REALLY bad.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Houston, TX

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, first off. You get health insurance if you work more than 20 hours a week. In the three years I spent here, I received about $2,000 in stocks. You get free coffee and honestly, I never paid for food, so I ate for free. If you work hard, you'll be promoted. You get to meet some amazing people; your coworkers AND your regulars. I made many connections while working here. Plus, tips. If you work at a cafe store only, you usually pocket an extra $200 every month (based off a $40-60 weekly tip take home)

Cons

They always focus what you could be doing more, not how much you're already doing (and if you're doing your job correctly, you're doing A LOT)
    The training is kind of rough and it's more of a sink or swim training environment. A lot of the customers are twats.

I don't know, maybe recognize your partners hard work and have their backs once in a while?

Somewhat dead end job

Current Employee - Barista in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Barista in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The flexablity of scheduling is desirable, the benefits (insurance) for part time are acceptable.Stock plans are also offered.

Cons

Management is not in touch with employees. Very little opportuntiy to want to advance as the pay does not make it worth it. Promotions are not in scale wtih the amount of work that a barista does.

It is hard to feel that management trusts their employees. We seem to be asked to be cloned to answer and do things only one way without having ability to think for ourselves.

General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun work environment, cool customers.

Cons

Low compensation, employees feel like they can question every decision made, tough to manage in this environment.
    Promotions to GM only happened in the district manager's district. You were told that every store was available, but that wasn't entirely true. Lots of politics.

Great Benefits...Hard Work

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company benefits are amazing. Large Company so there is a lot of room to move up. Meet Awesome people. Flexible hours. Ability to learn a new skill set. Free Drinks.

Cons

Constantly dealing with different personalities. Work hard for not much money. High turnover. Continued stress on the partners.

Sometimes it can be a really awesome environment, but the physical effort being put into it is not worth the pay.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks full-time

Pros

Health insurance, free coffee, opportunity for growth, tips, outside perks, meeting friendly people.

Cons

Impatient people, training sucks, pay is horrible for the work being done, schedule can be messed up.

Train employees, pay more, come up with better ways for the POLICIES to be followed, charge for items people upgrade with.

College Friendly

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-Flexible hours
    -Lots of benefits including tuition reimbursement
    -Free coffee
    -Tips
    Perfect for the college students working towards a better life

Cons

-Lots of politics and favoritism
    -Upward movement past shift supervisor is extremely challenging to obtain
    -Salary for Assistant Managers and Store Managers are not worth the stress and hours actually worked
    -Upper management is constantly changing with outside hires and rarely workers who get promoted
    -Always understaffed
    -High stess

Hire from within and not on a favoritism basis.

Fun at first, but slowly drains morale

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Katy, TX

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free drinks
    Meet interesting people which allows you to network effectively

Cons

The weeks schedule is usually posted a day before the week starts or the Monday of the week.
    Management can be ineffective and impede the flow of work
    Corporate is more concerned with cutting hours and getting better numbers at the cost the barista's morale.
    Starting pay is quite low for the amount of work expected of you.
    Repetitively do the same tasks everyday.
    Hard-working partners are hard to come by because of the low pay.
    New partners are not allowed sufficient training hours to become an effective member, Which in turn stresses out the other partners.

Management should not increase general and administrative expenses (Especially the "Global Leadership Conference") while decreasing operating expenses via cutting hours on the floor and expecting the baristas to put in way more effort than can be realistically accomplished.
    Ever since I've worked at Starbucks I feel like the emphasis has been taking off of partner appreciation, even with recent announcements that seem to be contrary. The numbers will take care of themselves as long as you take care of the partners in a more direct fashion and focus on decreasing the turnover rate.

Awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are a plus...great quality product...great brand recognition

Cons

Highly paid Barista...no time for extra management

Constant changes and no help in hourly labor

Challenging as a Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Starbucks offers great benefits, and as a Store Manager you can basically choose the hours you work. I started as a Barista, so growing with the company was easy. Regular customers and my awesome staff kept me coming in to work everyday, but there is constant gossip, infighting, and politics. Shifts are allowed to fraternize with Baristas outside of the store, which can result in problematic favoritism.

Cons

After over 6.5 years of employment, I've watched the company go from a culture and ethics based company to one solely focused on earnings, speed of service, and adherence to arbitrary policies that can change by region or district. We used to be able to have visible tattoos and piercings--external expressions of self--but now there is a very strict dress code and lack of adherence can cost even a tenured Store Manager their job.

As a Manager, you will be expected to work at least five hours/week overtime, often six days/week, and at least 50 hours/week during the holiday season. There is a vacation freeze from Nov 1 - Jan 1 for all management, but if you don't prefer to take time around the holidays (like me), that's not a problem. The company is constantly changing, and it is very challenging to keep up at the store level. Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience.

Those hired externally (at the Store Manager position or above) generally leave within 12-18 months of employment. They receive very limited training in the six-eight week RMT (Retail Management Training) program and, depending on their District Manager, are generally left alone to sink or swim thereafter.

Invest in the stores. In-store partners are alienated from corporate management, and corporate management is out of touch with in-store realities. Partners are overworked through training freezes and often don't receive adequate training due to time constraints imposed by leadership. We are moving away from the culture and values that made Starbucks a unique company to work for years ago.