Starbucks

5,318 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,565 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 131 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 140 reviews)

More Highlights

76 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Flexible

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Great benefits, good advancement opportunities, flexible with school and other jobs.

Cons

Rude customers and opening hours,

Challenging, inspiring, and incredible.

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast-paced, active environment. Amazing benefits for all partners. Dedicated management team. Encourage growth.

Cons

Some entitled jerks for customers. Corporate is a bit out of touch, in the past. Product is dumb.

Share your success with the people that help achieve it. We're not just numbers to you, we're individuals that work extremely hard for those numbers and deserve recognition.

Decent benefits, terrible upper management.

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health benefits plan is strong. Free company stocks are nice, but not enough to make up for the poor pay, nor are the quarterly bonuses. Training programs are fairly robust and effective if followed correctly.

Cons

Poor upper management support - they display a lack of skill and knowledge about their work and the operations of the company. No recognition system and poor review system; raises are too small; not enough performance incentive metrics.

Quit, find a new profession, and stop riding on the backs of your managers who are actually the ones generating your bonus. To the new management that replaces those who quit based on my advice, make sure you actually take a part in how the stores in your district or area are run, and not only know what you're talking about when you try to make a change, but be helpful doing it.

The best and worst of times..

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Houston, TX

I worked at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people I met were amazing and I loved talking and working with them. I made friendships that I hope to keep for as long as I can.
    The random amazing customer that made your day amid the chaos.
    Free drinks & coffee
    My amazing shift supervisors. They were the best.

Cons

Before I start on the cons let me just say that it takes a certain kind of person to be successful at Starbucks, for the 8 months I was there I honestly experienced the most vile kind of people (customers) and the most stress I have experienced thus far in any job.

-Pay: For what you put up with from rude customers and the amount of WORK you do everyday you are severely underpaid. Their is no excuse as to why I only made 7.75 hr. Not when Starbucks is worth billions.

-Management: This will vary by store but I personally felt like I had horrible manager. She never knew what her job description entailed and that affected the team directly. We were severely understaffed and when we got someone new they would leave because of the lack of leadership.

-Work/Life: The schedule would always be closing one day opening the next and mids the next. Never consistent and it just got worst as time went on.

And the most important con is my health, I felt like I was becoming numb from all the emotional and verbal abuse I received on the daily. I felt like I was losing myself in that job. I was never happy to go there and it honestly made me sick. I was so unhappy and the day I left I made the best decision. I felt all the pressure leave my body and I could breathe again.

Maybe consider another career.

Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I think my store manager makes the real difference in how great my experience has been in my nearly five years with the company. He has been a real mentor to me and an example of what type of manager I am in my full time role. Very hands on.

Cons

If you have time to lean, you have time to clean..... 75% of what a barista does is cleaning.

District managers would be more respected if the baristas could see them roll up their sleeves and put on the apron. Lead by example.

It's good but it can also be REALLY bad.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Houston, TX

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, first off. You get health insurance if you work more than 20 hours a week. In the three years I spent here, I received about $2,000 in stocks. You get free coffee and honestly, I never paid for food, so I ate for free. If you work hard, you'll be promoted. You get to meet some amazing people; your coworkers AND your regulars. I made many connections while working here. Plus, tips. If you work at a cafe store only, you usually pocket an extra $200 every month (based off a $40-60 weekly tip take home)

Cons

They always focus what you could be doing more, not how much you're already doing (and if you're doing your job correctly, you're doing A LOT)
    The training is kind of rough and it's more of a sink or swim training environment. A lot of the customers are twats.

I don't know, maybe recognize your partners hard work and have their backs once in a while?

Great Benefits...Hard Work

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company benefits are amazing. Large Company so there is a lot of room to move up. Meet Awesome people. Flexible hours. Ability to learn a new skill set. Free Drinks.

Cons

Constantly dealing with different personalities. Work hard for not much money. High turnover. Continued stress on the partners.

General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun work environment, cool customers.

Cons

Low compensation, employees feel like they can question every decision made, tough to manage in this environment.
    Promotions to GM only happened in the district manager's district. You were told that every store was available, but that wasn't entirely true. Lots of politics.

Somewhat dead end job

Current Employee - Barista in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Barista in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The flexablity of scheduling is desirable, the benefits (insurance) for part time are acceptable.Stock plans are also offered.

Cons

Management is not in touch with employees. Very little opportuntiy to want to advance as the pay does not make it worth it. Promotions are not in scale wtih the amount of work that a barista does.

It is hard to feel that management trusts their employees. We seem to be asked to be cloned to answer and do things only one way without having ability to think for ourselves.

Sometimes it can be a really awesome environment, but the physical effort being put into it is not worth the pay.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks full-time

Pros

Health insurance, free coffee, opportunity for growth, tips, outside perks, meeting friendly people.

Cons

Impatient people, training sucks, pay is horrible for the work being done, schedule can be messed up.

Train employees, pay more, come up with better ways for the POLICIES to be followed, charge for items people upgrade with.