Starbucks

5,114 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,447 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 131 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 140 reviews)

More Highlights

146 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A dream part time job...

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Belvidere, IL
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Belvidere, IL

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compared to other food establishments, baristas at starbucks make a decent hourly wage plus tips. we also get very good benefits such as our "partner markout" which entitles us to a free pound of coffee or a box of tea per week. Also, it is a nice relaxing environment where you connect with the people you help.

Cons

unless you're a manager, you are typically looking at a max of 30 hours per week, but most of the time it is in the low 20's per week. It also can be a very stressful environment due to peak hours (2-3 hours generally in the morning) being when we see about 50% or more of our business, and the sometimes absurd customer requests that you will find out about when you start working here.

Keep doing what you're doing! the only thing that i could say would make it better is if there was a true "full time" barista position.

Cool place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

the perks are pretty good. Lots of free starbucks

Cons

The pay is not so great the benefits kinda out weight way them

Awesome Gig- PERFECT HOURS

Former Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL

I worked at Starbucks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy Duties, Good Management, HAVEMYSHIFT will be your best friend. Trade or pick up shift so getting hours is easy. Twice a year raise

Cons

No overtime, in my store is was extremely busy so very hard to focus on the customer, tasks become "routine" very easily and get monotonous

Would be pretty cool to have more Starbucks serve alcohol, although it strays from coffee, I feel like it will add a lot to the social atmosphere of Starbucks. Many customers come in everyday, but how long are they staying.

It's ok if you don't mind pushy customers and constantly moving, getting syrups and drinks all over you.

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Belleville, IL
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Belleville, IL

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast paced, and occasionally fun.

Cons

Customers are often rude.
    It's messy, not at all glamorous.

Hire more people, it's a stressful job.

A corporation that has lost its path.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Lake Bluff, IL
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Lake Bluff, IL

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generally flexible scheduling with a broad range of shifts, caffeine on hand.

Cons

Always driving to cut labor while improving standards which makes for a really terrible work environment. In the almost five years I was with the company I was able to watch benefits get cut and altered and employees continually pushed to achieve higher standards (of sanitation, customer service, quality,) while meeting the demands with fewer team members.
    Hours can get cut and changed with little to no notice, leaving you short or scrambling to reschedule other priorities.
    Any pros of this job are completely dependent on your store manager and occasionally on the shift supervisor. Although corporate culture is strong at Starbucks, each store's operation does vary from the next.
    Upward mobility is extremely limited: a partner can start as a barista and move up to shift supervisor, assistant store manager, and then store manager within a few years. After that they will have to look for a new company to grow with, mid-level management is the highest a partner can hope to reach, nearly all upper-level management is recruited from the outside regardless of how qualified the individual is.

Review the initial goals of the company and try to find where Starbucks lost what made them so unique and appealing to both consumers and potential partners. It might take some time since the goal was to recreate the atmosphere and quality of the charming Italian cafés that Howard was wooed by in the 70s, and has morphed into cookie cutter, fast food drive thrus.
    You are completely out of touch with your work force, their wants and needs.

Need to get back on your feet? Try here

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Relatively positive work environment, unlimited drinks, interesting customers and 'partners', not terribly stressful.
    Decent benefits, potential to achieve paid higher education, small ability to move up in the company.

Cons

This is barely a forever job unless, you really love the company and coffee that much. Being someone who doesn't like coffee nor was a huge fan of the retail chain before. I see my time here as simply a way to get paid while look to transition into a place better suited toward my real goal and dreams
    Having to live off tips because the hourly salary is so low... is a way of cheating your 'partners' of their hard work to deliver quality product.

Working to keep your partners working as a team requires a certain finesse, open dialog, honesty, and ability to confront issues. This is something management should be trained on yearly. I am unsure if that actually happens or if most of your meeting are about making goals but this area could use some improvement.

Good for a college job

Former Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good vibes decent pay for a college student

Cons

Not flexible enough for school hours. Customers were moody too many times a day

Recognition from upper management would be nice

What's not to love?

Current Employee - Barista in Saint Charles, IL
    Current Employee - Barista in Saint Charles, IL

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They work with your schedule, excellent benefits, nice people, and opportunities to advance.

Cons

Cant think of anything honestly.

Keep up the great work!

Great Company!

Former Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits even at part-time hours
    Friendly environment
    Team oriented

Cons

Schedule isn't consistent
    Not much money

Great place to work if you have a love for coffee and retail.

Current Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Free coffee, making espresso beverages, and benefits(stock, 401k, healthcare, paid vacation).

Cons

Working weekends, holidays, and getting up at 3:30 am in the morning to open a store.