Starbucks

Updated January 25, 2015
3.1

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 131 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 140 reviews)

More Highlights

21 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

the best job i ever had!

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

perks, 401k, company cares for its partners, not an employee were partners, health insurance, a sense of community with partners, like a giant family

Cons

pay is low, customers are not always friendly, so many locations make it hard to meet sales goals, outside hires get higher pay than internal when looking to promote

develop interview skills of partners looking to move up with company from within

Excellent Company and Growth

Former Employee - Operations Project Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Operations Project Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Training Environment, ability to move up, colleagues and management pro company, positive work environment, lots of learning opportunities, good travel arrangements, good benefits

Cons

Travel time a little tight, would consider discussing ability to expand internationally if that is your interest and clarify steps to do so.

None - Management played roles very well - good appraisals and development plans, open door policies, created comfortable environment and good communication to direct reports

Overall great experience

Former Employee - Barista in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great management, friendly coworkers, fun environment

Cons

Low pay, not enough hours

None

A job that got me through college.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is a fun atmosphere depending on coworkers and managers. You get free coffee while you work. Flexible hours for Baristas only.

Cons

It is a physically demanding job. Several coworkers got carpal and cubital tunnel. They will work you more than eight hours a day and not pay you overtime. They will schedule you to close and open with less than five hours between a shift and not give you overtime. They are always understaffed. There is not any room for promotions. Health insurance isn't that great. For the Las Vegas market employees are undercompensated considering you can get a job at a casino Starbucks, do 1/4 of the work and get paid more than twice as much with better benefits.

District Managers need to get their act together.

If you want to work harder than you've ever worked, with little compensation, Starbucks is the place for you.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free coffee, SOME people are great, provides a fantastic learning experience for business management, provides a great work ethic.

Cons

I'm a store manager. I worked my way up through the company over the last 7 years. Starbucks simply has unrealistic and sometimes impossible expectations at all levels of employment. As a store manager I work about 50-60 hours a week in store with an additional 5 hours of administrative work at home. I have to send three reports a week and I am expected to work my all of my store's most profitable days. I also have to post a schedule on Tuesday. Therefore I can only take Thursday and Sunday off, if I strictly followed those rules, which doesn't lead to a healthy work life balance. The compensation is dismal. Starting at $42,000 with low opportunity for bonus in most stores. The hourly wage breaks down to less $15 an hour, which for upper management is pathetic. It's especially disheartening when you consider the fact the my store's annual profit is a cool million and growing. It's not bad when you get some really great people in roles below you, however you can't expect them to stay forever because as they get older and wiser they realize it's not fiscally sensible to stay with Starbucks long term. I used to love this company. I thought management would lend me the authority and the autonomy to run a great business. Instead I find myself being micromanaged and reprimanded for not achieving the impossible. The red tape through corporate when it comes to employee management leaves me with next to no authority in reality, while I have to struggle with maintaining the illusion that I could fire someone for simply not working hard or fast enough. I hate going to work everyday and I am consistently searching for employment elsewhere, which is so sad considering how well I know the business of Starbucks.

I'd like to see more labor given, more administrative time given to store managers, and higher wages across the board at the store level. Starbucks will continue to grow until hitting the glass ceiling with their unhappy employees. Look at the signs! 70% store manager turn over in one district in one year has GOT to get someone's attention. Please help us!

Room for Growth

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company offers room for growth, if you want it. The transition from barista to shift supervisor is a well-managed transition. They set up for success, not failure.

Cons

As with these types of jobs, the hours are early, your working very closely with people and you can have difference of opinions.

Nice company to work at

Former Employee - Barista in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great environment. Music playing all the time, discounts on food and drinks. You get nice tips and there is always opportunity for more hours if you want. Also, nice company culture.

Cons

Sometimes have to put up with stingy customers... but hey, nobody is perfect!

Filled with perks... if you can make it through your first year

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Tuition reimbursement, 401k match, travel savings program (paying for a chunk of my honeymoon), CUP fund in case anything happens to you.

Cons

The customers can be absolutely terrible, and you have to stand there and keep apologizing and smiling. If you don't work under a good and competent manager it can be miserable.

Do your admin work on time, don't roll your eyes at your employees, don't make empty promises, communicate with your staff often and honestly

Free coffee is good, if being poor is ok

Former Employee - Barista in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Starbucks part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee is just about the only thing that I liked about this job, other than the shifts not being too long.

Cons

Doesn't pay well at all, so unless you are in high school or living with your parents and don't have any expenses, then it is not worth the free coffee.

Local Management Does Not Fulfill Starbucks Culture & Values

Former Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Starbucks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Dedicated team members, good benefits, responsive corporate staff.

Cons

Demoralizing write ups and micro-management.

Local DM's need training on how to positively motivate team members and store managers. They focus too much on what's wrong and not on what's going well. Encouragement goes a long way in having dedicated employees.