Starbucks

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz

Howard D. Schultz

181 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Career in Coffee

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWhen i first started I had no intention of making a career out of Starbucks. Now, I have no intention of having a career without Starbucks. For a large corporation, this company feels very small. Every decision made in store affects that store, partners, and customers. Along with the great benefits and the opportunity for growth, this company has it all. Along with the culture that promotes inclusivity and leading through the lens of humanity this company cares about people!

ConsI wish to work in other segments of the company, but to do so I would likely have to move to Seattle. That is the ONLY drawback for me, which is very personal and not reflective of the company.

Love the Company

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)
Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe benefits are fantastic, the culture is amazing. Working in a store can be great depending on the staff. I've had both great and horrible experiences working in a store.
The good managers are usually very supportive of you and your time with the company so long as you're a positive addition to the team.
There's a big feeling of your store being your team. Almost like a second family.
The DM, Manager, and company overall are usually very invested in their staff, especially ones that want upward momentum.

ConsWorking holidays, nights, weekends can get frustrating ( but seriously, that's what the job entails so it's not that bad).
I really don't have much else "bad" to say about the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile I loved working for the company for the 5 years i was there, I thought some hiring decisions were questionable. While it wasn't my place to make those kinds of decision, I saw managers and assistant managers that were simply incapable of doing the work, let alone doing the work well. In addition, I feel there needs to be more interaction between the DM's and staff. Otherwise, I loved the direction the company went in during my time there, even throughout hard times they were there for the staff countrywide (we still got out stocks, benefits, etc throughout the recession), and I always felt supported by everyone from the little fish to the Howard Schultz himself.

Great Company with Lots of Perks

Shift Supervisor/Barista (Former Employee)
Torrance, CA

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get health & dental after 3 months. Starbucks is great at promoting and rewarding tenure. I worked with someone who hit the 20 year mark and was compensated handsomely. Free coffee and discounts on products. They are good about working around school schedules.

ConsDepending on location, management and barista turnovers can be high. I worked at a store in California where it was very high and then a store in Chicago where it was very low. Customers (especially those on cell phones not paying attention) can be cranky, impatient and rude so be prepared to have your patience strained, especially during peak times.

Advice to Senior ManagementI thought management at both stores I worked at did an excellent job of encouraging me in areas where I excelled along with accommodating my school schedule (especially during finals week!). I did think that store managers and assistant managers were constantly under a lot of pressure from DM's and higher ups though.

Great company. Great experience depending on management.

Barista - Starbucks (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits, personal growth, starbucks promotes often.

ConsManagement was not particularly flexible schedule, although thats what Starbucks prides itself in. Also management was very nit-picky and almost gave you a write up for anything.

Fun work environment, but unrealistic expectations of profitability from corporate.

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Lake Forest, CA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

ProsThe People keep me coming back.

ConsUnrealistic expectations of corporate for profitability. When traveling to cities such as New York, the level of customer service and cleanliness do not match the Sun Belt Region. How can the same level management be allowed to ignore the same standards and expectations of profits if they are in different regions?

Advice to Senior ManagementMore generous bonus structure based on job performance as opposed to sales target.

High quality training with very little room to breathe.

Barista (Former Employee)
Glendale, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

ProsThe training to become a Barista here is top-notch with information workbooks that you can take home. The value of the paid training is something that I've carried into other third-party coffee shops to become a trainer and supervisor.

ConsThe shifts as a lowly barista are very sporadic. You could be working 7-Close friday night, and then go back to work saturday morning from 8-12. Work shifts design with so many baristas at a single store seemed designed to prevent one from getting their health and stock package. Find yourself working at multiple locations and begging for shifts if you ever want to keep that health package up. Tips are shared among all co-workers, thus leaving partners little incentive to try harder for tips. Outside of other coffee-shops there is little advancement to moneymaking server and bartender positions. They dont include baristas as servers. Hogwash.

Advice to Senior ManagementBaristas do everything, with that in mind and with the company making billions on the black liquid gold that is coffee, and with obamacare, wages in the united states should be increased. Shifts should be more standardized.

Great Place for College Students

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee)
Northridge, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible Hours for college students.
I worked at two stores and they always gave priority to my school schedule.
Dental and Vision Insurance for Part Time Workers
Meet a lot of interesting people

ConsCustomers can be very rude at times
People from other stores will frequently call you to cover shifts
Other cons vary depending on the store you work at

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing secret shoppers. A great way to get a feel for the store.

Good for part-time work only

Barista (Current Employee)
West Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

ProsReally good benefits and most Baristas are easy going and great to work with.
Hours can fairly work around your schedule.

ConsSometimes I feel overworked for little pay. Being a college graduate, starting at minimum wage as a new Barista was a real downer. My work ethic tends to wear out as time continues since the hours can be tiresome (opening hours - hello sunrise!) and being short-staffed is a reoccurring situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementScreen the Store Managers more about direct communication with the Baristas. We hardly know of a current promotion or system change since we never have store meetings (which I thought was required?).

Great hours with tons of flexibility.

Barista (Former Employee)
Torrance, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible - Able to work with my student hours.

ConsClose to minimum wage pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Shift supervisor

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee)
Marina del Rey, CA

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, weekly partner markout,good pay, vacation. Free coffee while working train is good and will teach you to appreciate the coffee culture.

ConsAngry, rude people at times. Dealing with the public will require patients and understanding for some people that may not be the nicest.n

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing favorites and treat all staff equally.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Starbucks reviews and ratings in Los Angeles, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Starbucks CEO Howard D. Schultz. All 181 reviews posted anonymously by Starbucks employees.