Starbucks Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

4,484 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,052 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 401 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field (in 109 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners (in 114 reviews)

More Highlights

221 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company to work for part-time

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Health Insurance and Flexible hours. Easy to get shifts at other locations.

Cons

Compensation is not that great, and job can get repetitive.

Great Company!

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Buena Park, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Buena Park, CA

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pay, no room for advancement past Store Manager

Cons

Allow to make job easier with meeting labor targets!.

Enjoy your positions!

Good start, happy for the chance

Former Employee - Barista  in  Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Torrance, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

Pros

flexible schedule, wonderful staff. I was allowed my breaks and paid well and regularly. I think it's a great job for anyone who is in between gigs and wants an extra income for menial labor.

Cons

Smelling like coffee wasn't too much fun. I also did not like scrubbing bathrooms and carrying milk and smelling like milk, nor the rude customers you get at 6am, but that isn't their fault.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent job

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  Baldwin Park, CA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Baldwin Park, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Pros

Promotions are really in the hands of the store manager based on how hard you work and ow much they like you. Mostly on how much they like you. Great stock options for all partners

Cons

Customers are very ignorant and extremely annoying. Work sucks if your co workers do. Always keep a smile on your face, fake it till you make it.

It was the best experience of my life

Former Employee - Learning Coach  in  Porter Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Learning Coach in Porter Ranch, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time

Pros

Great benefits, personal growth, great team work

Cons

nothing really con except you may get rude customers

Can't complain

Former Employee - Barista  in  Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Pros

Definitely depends on your coworkers, but it can be really great with the right people. It's fast paced and fun most of the time, and you learn heaps about the service industry (and your community). Also looks great on a resume, as other companies are aware of their quality customer service training.

Cons

The hours can be slim and some customers will use you as a target to release their pent-up anger/stress, although sometimes customers can be one of the best parts of the job.

Awesome company

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Westminster, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Westminster, CA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Health benefits are amazing, along with automatic stock options, and now tuition reimbursement for college.... what can I say. I love this company.

Cons

As with any service sector job, things get stressful, overworked and overtired people are not exactly friendly before their first cup of coffee.

Not all managers truly know how to manage. There is a fine line between Micromanaging and being obsessive...

Hit and Miss

Former Employee - Lead Barista  in  Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Barista in Culver City, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the best things about Sbux are the people. Co-workers become your best friends and frequent customers feel like extended family. Education benefits as of mid 2014 are great but unfortunately I haven't been able to take advantage of them yet.

Cons

Upper management can be a real hassle. For example, my store manager and district manager were, at best, incompetent. For that reason, it is hard to take your job seriously when the people running the store have no clue how to react and be flexible to the individual store's needs. The wages for baristas are also pretty bad. In our busy location, we start at $8.35 an hour.

Listen to the baristas and shift supervisors. Create incentives for high sales and raise the wage to a minimum of $9.50 an hour. Also, make sure training of new baristas include impeccable attention to detail in the area of store cleanliness (bad habits are hard to break).

the company now, is nothing like it was 6 years ago. a job i loved became a nightmare.

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

benefits, perks, experience, culture, 401k

Cons

lack of training, promotions, labor hours- always being cut back more and more, management, raises

spend more time training new employees...wayyyy more time. educate your partners more and encourage them to become knowledgable about beverages, coffees, retail, and the company. PROMOTE FROM WITHIN!! there are soooo many hard working, dedicated partners...who have been with the company and want to be promoted! partners who want to keep moving up in the company. TOO MUCH OUTSIDE HIRING! stop cutting labor so much, the company is constantly relying on partners to do more and more within their shift, or within a day...AND CUTTING LABOR AT THE SAME TIME!!!? starbucks' primary focus USED to be Customer Service, providing World-Class Service, provide each customer with an experience...it is NOTHING like that anymore. now its all about speed of service and getting "X" amount of customers rung up every 30 minutes. and for what? to determine how much labor each store needs....obviously not because it was always about cutting labor. i spent 6 1/2 years with this company. i put my heart and soul into my job. starbucks broke my heart. my review, clearly expresses my anger and disappointment with starbucks. but that anger and disappointment comes from passion, and how passionate i was about my job. i left because i was no longer proud to represent the company.

Starbucks has the potential to be a good working environment.

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  Hermosa Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Hermosa Beach, CA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for less than a year

Pros

The benefits are pretty good. There is an option for a 401k and stock.

Cons

The pay isn't great, especially if you're in a place that doesn't do well in tips. I work nights at a place with a lot of regulars. They tend to want to chat a big while I'm making their drinks and this is usually frowned upon. The company puts a lot of verbal emphasis on positive customer interaction but its executed more like a fast food restaurant.

Put more effort into speaking to your employees with respect. When I first started, there was a different store manager. She spoke to us on a human level and encouraged us to do our best. She didn't micro manage and gave more compliments than corrections.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!