Starbucks

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz

Howard D. Schultz

109 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It is a stressful but rewarding experience to start off, But only stay if you plan on moving up

Barista - Starbucks (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

ProsIn NY Metro area, starting pay is $9.00/hr plus tips for a barista. You are eventually given small raises based on performance on a six month review. If you work in a store with good regulars, competent management, and large tip incomes, it is a great place to start.

After a year, you receive employee health insurance benefits if you work more than 20 hours, and receive free stock in the company.

ConsYou will be required to serve the scum of humanity their diabetes-in-a-cup with a smile on your face. If you have incompetent management, the job can be nigh impossible. The scheduling is variable, and the pay just isn't enough for a long term job. Either have plans to move up in the company, or find a better job once you're able to.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease for the love of Howard Schultz form the schedule for the week at least before the Friday of the week before, and take care of your partners. If you lead by example, and take care of the Partners, they'll be happy to do the impossible for you.

Job can be good or bad, depends on your manager.

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

Pros-Fun environment
-Free drinks (While working)
-It keeps you busy
-Great Benefits
-Most customers are pretty awesome!
-You meet a lot of great people

Cons-Management absolutely sucks!
-Favoritism plays a huge part in some stores
-Managers take out all frustration on the shift supervisor
-Promotions can be based upon favoritism
-Talked down to
-Management yells at you in front of customers

Advice to Senior ManagementSome advice to UPPER management, make sure that you know what's going on inside of your store. Make sure to visit random stores to make sure that your partners feel comfortable working there and not being constantly harassed by the store manager.

Lack of respect for baristas

Barista (Current Employee)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat hours, you will almost always be working. Pay isnt terrible, plus tips which is a nice bonus each week.

ConsThe company doesnt care for its baristas as much as they should, They deserve much more respect considering the ridiculous amounts of work being done

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers that actually work, and don't use their power to do whatever they want.

Consistent

Barista (Current Employee)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe health care options are great, and the company is very flexible and able to work with your schedule.

ConsThey do not pay their baristas well for the amount of work they are expected to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe corporate employees should have to spend time behind the counter before being promoted, so they can see what it is like for baristas.

Overworked and underpaid

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

ProsFree coffee and the regulars were very nice. Learn basic barista skills

ConsNegative co workers, shift leaders think a little bit of power allows them treat people poorly. Manager had no control over his store.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

A Job You'll Love

Senior Training Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWorking at Starbucks was one of the most fulfilling times of my work career. I working with talented and committed individuals who loved going to work every day. The company was forward thinking and determined to be the most unique company of its kind; I think it achieved that in so many ways - its core values remain unwavering and unchanged over the years. The people I worked with became family. The compensation was usually greater than other comparable organizations.

ConsOne of the major challenges with working for Starbucks, despite how great an organization it was - was that sometimes your experience was only as good as the person leading you. Promotions from within were possible, but beyond the retail world and into the corporate world were difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementStarbucks promotes servant leadership and leading with the heart. Embrace that, learn that, practice that daily - and your team will follow you to great success and tremendous reward.

Barista

New York, NY

I worked at Starbucks full-time for less than a year

ProsGood benefits, friendly and diverse work environment.

ConsThere are not many options for career growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand your options.

The people make the job

Barista (Former Employee)

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Pros- Fun employees that make working fun.
- Good benefits, and tips can be useful.
- Partner markouts and discounted drinks can really get you knowing the product.
- Learning how to make great beverages never leaves you.

Cons- Bad managers make work hell.
- Over worked or under used but mostly over worked.
- Lots of hours even when you ask for less.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways remember your employees, when I left the manager was lying about the schedule and making us work without breaks.

The assistant manager made this place awesome and she did get promoted keep this up and you will do well.

Love the art, not the management.

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

ProsExtremely good benefits and a reasonable starting pay; I enjoyed the company of my coworkers and had relatively flexible hours for the most part.

ConsThe longer I stayed at my store the more I felt that my hours were being manipulated by my managers to fit their personal needs as opposed to the stores - my location was high volume with a small team, so we were worked to the skin of our bones with over 40 hours at times. Be prepared to deal with rude customers almost constantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease learn to communicate with your employees as human beings opposed to just labourers, we all have our faults and spots that need improvement but it's impossible to progress as a person if nothing is being said.

Also, the management should be on bar and behind the counters with the barista at least once in a while to keep the floor running smoothly.

Hectic

I worked at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

ProsLearning how to multitask, You'll be forced to memorize everything in a short amount of time (makes you a faster learner), If you meet the right partners, it'll be enjoyable, If you meet the right floor managers, you'll have the best time, If you have a great store manager, it'll be great!

ConsSuper busy, If the other partners don't do their share, you either have to do it yourself or have the customers blame you for it. CUSTOMERS -- where did some of these people come from?!, Don't burn yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a routine health inspection check!

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Starbucks reviews and ratings in New York, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Starbucks CEO Howard D. Schultz. All 109 reviews posted anonymously by Starbucks employees.