Starbucks

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz

Howard D. Schultz

175 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Awesome

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Massapequa, NY

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey have awesome Benefits, they promote within, good training programs. Overall very nice district managers. Makes you feel like you are a family.

ConsI didnt have very many cons about the company at all. I had a great experience at the company.

very stressful environment but helps you learn a lot

Barista - Starbucks (Former Employee)
Geneseo, NY

I worked at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

ProsWork in a team (in a very close one), get to make new friends who understand you, get to work directly with customers and learn how to do so properly.

ConsI worked at Starbucks on Campus and was not treated well. The benefits that casual workers get were never heard of by student workers. No shift drinks, no lunches, no discounts. Some people did not care about the job, others were pretty bossy. They should have told us what every person had to do but without being mean.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe proactive and make sure staff knows one another.

Job can be good or bad, depends on your manager.

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

Pros-Fun environment
-Free drinks (While working)
-It keeps you busy
-Great Benefits
-Most customers are pretty awesome!
-You meet a lot of great people

Cons-Management absolutely sucks!
-Favoritism plays a huge part in some stores
-Managers take out all frustration on the shift supervisor
-Promotions can be based upon favoritism
-Talked down to
-Management yells at you in front of customers

Advice to Senior ManagementSome advice to UPPER management, make sure that you know what's going on inside of your store. Make sure to visit random stores to make sure that your partners feel comfortable working there and not being constantly harassed by the store manager.

Consistent

Barista (Current Employee)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe health care options are great, and the company is very flexible and able to work with your schedule.

ConsThey do not pay their baristas well for the amount of work they are expected to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe corporate employees should have to spend time behind the counter before being promoted, so they can see what it is like for baristas.

Lack of respect for baristas

Barista (Current Employee)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat hours, you will almost always be working. Pay isnt terrible, plus tips which is a nice bonus each week.

ConsThe company doesnt care for its baristas as much as they should, They deserve much more respect considering the ridiculous amounts of work being done

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers that actually work, and don't use their power to do whatever they want.

Overworked and underpaid

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

ProsFree coffee and the regulars were very nice. Learn basic barista skills

ConsNegative co workers, shift leaders think a little bit of power allows them treat people poorly. Manager had no control over his store.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

It is a stressful but rewarding experience to start off, But only stay if you plan on moving up

Barista - Starbucks (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

ProsIn NY Metro area, starting pay is $9.00/hr plus tips for a barista. You are eventually given small raises based on performance on a six month review. If you work in a store with good regulars, competent management, and large tip incomes, it is a great place to start.

After a year, you receive employee health insurance benefits if you work more than 20 hours, and receive free stock in the company.

ConsYou will be required to serve the scum of humanity their diabetes-in-a-cup with a smile on your face. If you have incompetent management, the job can be nigh impossible. The scheduling is variable, and the pay just isn't enough for a long term job. Either have plans to move up in the company, or find a better job once you're able to.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease for the love of Howard Schultz form the schedule for the week at least before the Friday of the week before, and take care of your partners. If you lead by example, and take care of the Partners, they'll be happy to do the impossible for you.

As a Barista

Barista (Former Employee)
Stony Brook, NY

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

ProsHealth care is very affordable for part time work

ConsWorking in the service industry is always a headache

Starbucks - Great College job

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)
Islip, NY

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 5 years

ProsFun place. Good benefits. Free pound of coffee a week. Flexible schedule

ConsWorked with young staff who wasn't controlled by management.No room for growth other then a store manager position

A Job You'll Love

Senior Training Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWorking at Starbucks was one of the most fulfilling times of my work career. I working with talented and committed individuals who loved going to work every day. The company was forward thinking and determined to be the most unique company of its kind; I think it achieved that in so many ways - its core values remain unwavering and unchanged over the years. The people I worked with became family. The compensation was usually greater than other comparable organizations.

ConsOne of the major challenges with working for Starbucks, despite how great an organization it was - was that sometimes your experience was only as good as the person leading you. Promotions from within were possible, but beyond the retail world and into the corporate world were difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementStarbucks promotes servant leadership and leading with the heart. Embrace that, learn that, practice that daily - and your team will follow you to great success and tremendous reward.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Starbucks reviews and ratings in New York State — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Starbucks CEO Howard D. Schultz. All 175 reviews posted anonymously by Starbucks employees.