Starbucks Reviews

3.8
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,814 Ratings

1. Good for students, parents who stay home when children are out of school and those needing flexible hours.

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is just over minimum wage, however health insurance is highly subsidized which saves you a lot of money. Flexible scheduling means students have time off for exams.

Cons

If you are sick and can't come to work it becomes your responsibility to get that shift covered. If you have the stomach flu and can't make it or find a replacement, then coworkers tend to blame you (however that's how a lot of shift work goes).

Train managers in professionalism and on how they should communicate with employees. Managers often became too friendly with employees and would confide delicate information in them. Starbucks being as it is, that information was often spread amongst baristas within hours- making it hard to see your manager as your boss and not as a friend.

2. Like any other job, but not really

Former Employee - Barista in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Barista in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

benefits, awesome customer connections, making beverages, potential for growth

Cons

change in management, change in the way things were run, sometimes hard to get time off

recognize employees more for great work

3. I did not love or hate working here, it was just average.

Current Employee - Barista in Star, NC
    Current Employee - Barista in Star, NC

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Reasons I like working here were because I liked the brand.

Cons

The challenges of working here are the salary.

Hire people who work better with customers.

5. I LOVED being a Barista! The "regulars" that came in were so awesome. Great people in front and behind the bar.

Former Employee - Barista in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Barista in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The daily jokes and conversations that were had with customers as well as my co-workers are ones I'll never forget! I agree with many values that Starbucks holds; marriage equality, it's stance on open-carry and health care. I love how laid-back this company is and how serious they are with pleasing their customers. I liked that I could recommend different drinks to all kinds of people with different tastes. For instance, I can't stand the taste of coffee (I know, the irony), and when a new customer would walk in with the same disdain for coffee and wonder why the hell they'd wandered into a coffee shop, I could instantly make them feel at home by recommending a plethora of my favourite (coffee-free) drinks to try. If the café wasn't too busy, I could make several drinks and have them pick the one they liked best! It was awesome! Even if customers were unhappy with their drinks, we wouldn't let them leave until they were completely satisfied with their beverage! The benefits were FANTASTICAL. You have to maintain 20 hours a week to keep your benefits. And they only took out about $32.00 per paycheck (getting paid every two-weeks). I had dental work done that cost about $3,000 (I know, I didn't have healthcare since I graduated college in 2010-- don't judge!) and I only had to pay $600 (Thank GOD) thanks to the benefits I had with Starbucks.

Cons

I HATED getting "baby shifts." I'd look on the schedule and I'd been put down for an 8-11am or 5-9am shift. It sucked, and I always felt that it was pointless for me to come in and have to work a baby shift. Not worth the gas to get there. Especially being paid hourly. It was awful when the manager forgot to order product (we ran out of white mocha soooo many times) and customers would freak out on us because (it seemed) they were addicted. Unless one wanted to become a manager at Starbucks, it's hard to make a living on the limited amount of hours you can get, so the pay wasn't that great. You'd make tips, but for our store, it'd only be about a dollar more an hour. Some days it was 65 cents. So minimum wage plus tips was awful trying to pay rent.

I never really had a problem with management. I just wished I could've gotten more hours. Or at LEAST overtime pay.

6. Can be very stressful at times

Former Employee - Barista in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Barista in Cary, NC

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Some great coworkers, good management, and great benefits for part time workers.

Cons

Some coworkers would miss their shifts or show up hungover making everyone else jobs Hell. Some of the customers would also come in and be very rude, and expect unreasonable things from us. We had a regular that we even had to charge less than the normal price every time she came in because she complained to a district manager about our prices one time. If you work in the mornings, the rush can be very overwhelming and give you horrible anxiety. This is why I ultimately left, I literally would get the worst anxiety, even when I wasn't working.

Need more people on the floor, and cut down on the number or new/seasonal drinks.

7. Barista

Former Employee - Barista in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Barista in Durham, NC

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health benefits, overall good company culture, prestige of working for a company everyone seems to admire

Cons

low pay not offset by having health benefits, hard to get full time hours

pay your employees more

8. Shift supervisor

Former Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor in Concord, NC
    Former Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor in Concord, NC

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits, life insurance, health insurance, stock options, free coffee, discounts, tuition assistance. Coffee education program.

Cons

Poor scheduling, inconsistencies from store to store in both management and enforcement if policies. Too much responsibility given to shift supervisors without enough of a pay increase.

Scheduling needs to improve.

9. Great experience within the company.

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Learn great skills such as working with people and networking. Ability to advance

Cons

Sonrtimed customers are rude

Be open to opinions and views of partners. In order to have a strong team it is imperative to have a safe and inviting form of open communication.

10. Underpaid but fun

Current Employee - Barista in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Barista in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced
    Variety
    Room for improvement and advancement
    Benefits

Cons

Lower paid than a lot of stores
    Angry customers...

Raise the starting rate of pay!

11. Great Company with Great Benefits

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

An amazing group of people with an consistent positive environment. Lots of benefits. Lots of perks. Wouldn't want to work for any other company. Great for part-time seeking applicants, but also provides the opportunity to grow into bigger roles. Always developing.

Cons

Some might be put off by the constant changes Starbucks implements to better themselves.

Continue to listen to your partners! We love seeing response to feedback!