Starbucks Reviews in North Carolina

4,806 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,260 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 437 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 124 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 135 reviews)

More Highlights

51 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Couldn't have asked for a better first job!

Current Employee - Barista in Greenville, NC
    Current Employee - Barista in Greenville, NC

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a coffee-lover, I appreciated the generous amounts of free coffee that employees received, especially considering how much it keeps me going towards my career goals!

There are a wealth of benefits to be redeemed when working for this company—stocks, health care, accrued paid vacation hours, tuition reimbursement, 401K—many of which I have yet to take advantage of!

Baristas/shifts are all tipped based on the amount of hours worked, as everyone on the floor is working together to provide the premium customer service that Starbucks aims to deliver.

Schedule is very flexible! I play in a band and am pursuing education in music and programming, so whenever I need to take time off for a show/tour, or change my availability to accommodate my learning, there is never fuss!

Cons

Considering Starbucks is ultimately fast-food—with drive-trus and quick service—the quality of customer interactions is sometimes not as personal as I would like it to be.

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job security: Coffee demand ain't going away anytime soon.

People constantly around you!

Great health benefits, excellent 401(k) investment vehicles.

Cons

Massive waste for a "green" company. So much so, that the dollars of waste and redundancy ought to end up as needed cash in the partners' pocket.

To work anywhere for 40 hours/week w/o being able to survive financially at low pay rates will eventually equal a mass exodus of seasoned partners.

Keep your 30% discount, give 1lb of coffee/teas every two weeks. Decide that you want to be McDonalds (or not) and get streamlined with state of the art equipment and deliver ingredients to the final product more efficiently. Drive Through customers don't care about anything "legendary."

Eliminate the ASM position and elevate the Shift position to salary,,,,offer the additional vacation time, life insurance, sales incentives, etc....to retain veterans!

Need to get out of the old school corp world!

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are good, location,location and location

Cons

Tattoos, Piercings and different colored hair does not mean I am a bad employee. These policies are not a sign of the times for a company that tries to be so progresive!

I have worked for over 6 years for this company i love, but after 6 years and reviews that i have had every 6 month that in most areas i meet or exceed expectations I make less the $11.00 hour.
    I also left a company making twice as much to move up in this company but the way you handle the whole process is draining,time consuming and frustrating! i had and interview to be an ASM last summer and because I had a pink strip in my hair (support breast cancer) I did not get approved for it sure there were a few minor things they wanted me to work on. But then I found out you hired 5 or 6 RTM's from outside paying them more money and giving them jobs the people like me have been working up the ranks to try and get!!!!!! STOP hiring RMT'S and get more in-tune with your partners and get up to date and change policies on tattoos hair color etc! I work my but off for my store i would work 60 hours for my store making sure all my customers left my store loving it.......

No room to grow

Current Employee - Barista in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Barista in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like working here because the hours are flexible and true. The management staff is willing to work with your scheduling restraints. Free drinks on days that you work. Free box of tea or bag of coffee every week. Benefits are good.

Cons

There is no room for growth here. If you are a barista you are doing everything from cleaning the restrooms to making lattes. You can become a shift manager and then a store manger but there are no opportunities presented to do so.
    There is no "game plan" like, today, on your shift you need to complete a specific list of tasks or anything like that. So it's hard to nail down what the shift leader wants you to do unless they tell you, and for some reason they get annoyed when they have to tell you? the biggest con to this company is the pay. it's minimum wage and part time. you have to work a second job to survive.

Make more opportunities for partners to grow. Create "pars" and "task to do lists" for certain shift positions. Raise the wages at least a 1$ to make it worth it.

Amazing!

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in High Point, NC
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in High Point, NC

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people that you got to know on a personal level.
    Great employees, manager is one of the best.

Cons

The time when customers weren't coming in as often made it hard to stay busy.

Stressful but sometimes rewarding

Current Employee - Barista in Huntersville, NC
    Current Employee - Barista in Huntersville, NC

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent place to network, and you are always busy and never bored. Having benefits at 20 hours a week is generous, would be better if insurance rates were lower.

Cons

Very stressful and sometimes ungrateful. Some days we are expected to do more than we can even handle, simply because we are shorthanded. We are not paid a fair amount compared to the volume of our store.

Consider giving schedules 2 or 3 weeks in advance instead of the wednesday or thursday before, and try your best to make everyones schedule stable. ( i.e. no late nights and early mornings back-to-back)

A good job as long as you can handle high stress and fast paced environments.

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Concord, NC
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Concord, NC

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The biggest strength of working here is the people, both partners and customers. Also the benefits are very competitive.

Cons

The customers can be some of the most insane people you will ever meet and corporate tends to try to micromanage too much on the store level.

Trust baristas, shifts, and store managers to know what is best for their store and get out of their way. Unless there is an obvious problem that needs corporate involvement there is no reason for corporate to have any direct involvement in the day to day running of a store. Also, allow managers to schedule partners as needed instead of being stingy with how many hours you allow them to schedule. Revenue streams will be higher if we have enough partners on the floor to cover all the positions that need to be covered.

Wonderful!

Former Employee - Barista in Fayetteville, NC
    Former Employee - Barista in Fayetteville, NC

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Takes Care of Employees and values customers.

Cons

Not many over all a great company to work for.

Positive place to work

Former Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor in Aberdeen, NC
    Former Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor in Aberdeen, NC

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Starbucks provides benefits, flexible hours, and has room for moving up in the company. Overall enjoyable, and customers were typically friendly, rarely rude.

Cons

Manager training was lacking, and the lack of oversight from regional managers affected the quality of the store. Working short staffed was the most awful part of the position, two people can not handle rush hour in a drive through store.

Provide more oversight, standardize training, cut hours of employees who regularly don't show.

Learn to think on your toes

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Kernersville, NC
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Kernersville, NC

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learn to think with a lot going on, free drinks when on the clock and 30% discount otherwise. Interesting people and culture at times.

Cons

Lots and lots and lots of cleaning, can get repetitive.