Starbucks

4,978 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,375 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 442 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 221 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 128 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 135 reviews)

More Highlights

53 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best time of my life

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Awesome co workers and great learning experience

Cons

More involvement from upper management

Listen to your baristas more. They have ideas

It's worth it for the benefits, if the benefits match your lifestyle.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've had a few corporate jobs in the past, and Starbucks offers the best and most comprehensive benefits of any of my employers. If you're looking for those kinds of discounts and coverage, it's great. They recently released a memo detailing how they plan to expand their "partner experience" during 2015. It's also not rocket science: everything becomes cerebral quickly enough, and most activities have a clear standard approach that generally is aimed at accomplishing tasks as quickly as possible — sometimes, that is before accuracy.

Cons

As someone single, I find the actual monetary income at Starbucks to be a lot less cushy than the extraneous benefits. While I have health insurance, free coffee, stocks, and such, I still have to get by on what feels like a less-than-competitive hourly wage, especially considering the cost of rent in the city. The company (at least my district) does not offer remuneration for parking or transportation fare, so working inside a downtown core is not sustainable for people who drive, but also necessitates living closer to the store in a more expensive neighborhood.

There should be store-specific incomes. A barista in a suburb should not make the same as a barista downtown. There should be an incentive to work at higher-volume locations, and the partners there should be the best-of-the-best grade employees, but there is no such prestige or incentive program in place, so experiences in Starbucks retail vary greatly between locations.

Great company!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits package, great work environment, fast-paced job. Management is open to having conversations around what can be done to better the company for Partners and Customers. Very dynamic and socially responsible company!

Cons

Pay is a little on the low side. Lots of changes in short periods of time. Hard to move up the corporate ladder.

Keep up the great work! Continue to be open to suggestions from Partners in the store environment, maybe consult store teams prior to remodels or new store plans for functionality of store set-up in order to maximize efficiency for our teams and customers.

A good job for someone who is very patient, graceful, and doesn't mind being talked down to or yelled at.

Current Employee - Barista/Coffee Master/Barista Trainer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Barista/Coffee Master/Barista Trainer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free ASU tuition, affordable health benefits, vacation time, flexibility in scheduling, mileage reimbursement, promotion opportunities.

Cons

Getting yelled at by customers and shifts, constant "coaching" that borderlines harassment , inconsistent hours, early hours, corporate constantly changing standards and prices, customers that ask for impossible beverages.

Stop raising prices every 6 months, stop introducing drinks that are basically the same as core menu drinks. Keep up the slight involvement in relevant political topics, and cut the sugar!

good co-workers most of the time. customers are usually awful

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Portland, OR

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

learn to make coffee, learn about coffee processing, different types. learn fast-paced sales/customer service skills in a variety of situations, free coffee, paid trainer, opportunities to move locations easily, flexible scheduling (kind of)

Cons

Advancement happens based more on time than on skills. Customers can make your day hell depending on which location or what duties you are performing.

Recognize movers and shakers from other companies and fast track them to higher positions quicker. it focuses too much on "starbucks way of life" and not enough on expanding business or thinking outside the box.

Good company hiring smart employees.

Former Employee - Barista in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Barista in Salem, OR

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Shift leads had great leadership, good hours, fair tip out shares, good work environment, smart implementation for tasks, good place to work

Cons

Can have petty employees who think they are better than others due to seniority, long hours sometimes, difficult to solve inter work problems

Be more open to employees who have actual problems with other employees, not talking just your normal work drama, but actual problem. I always felt I could never get things solved with out feeling like I shouldn't have opened my mouth in the first place.

Starbucks is a hollow shell of the caring, thoughtful, partner-focused company it used to be.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Performance reviews and raises every six months. Thorough training and many knowledge growth opportunities. The people you meet while working in a retail store will be the most important people in your life.

Cons

Difficult/messy promotion practices (people who shouldn't promote slip through the cracks and people who should are never considered). Customers as a whole treat you like you're an ignorant piece of garbage. Management is usually (not always, but usually) awful.

A message to the marketing department, stop stealing partner ideas and projects and using them as your own. There are so many talented people in this company and frequently their ideas or their artistic abilities are ripped off, slightly skewed, and they are NEVER thanked.

Good starter job with room to move up

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Portland, OR

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Values teamwork and friendly atmosphere
    Many ways to grow with the company
    Decent benefits, even for pt work

Cons

This job is fast-paced so it can be stressful and over-stimulating
    Starbucks customers expect a lot, sometimes it's unreasonable
    Lots of time on your feet so wear good shoes

In theory, it sounds great

Current Employee - Barista in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Barista in Portland, OR

I have been working at Starbucks part-time

Pros

Schedule flexibility, benefits offerings, partner discount, free pound of coffee every week, free beverages while on shift, decent wages

Cons

I have worked at a couple different stores and have rarely had a manager who partners felt was prepared to take on the challenges and responsibilities of managing their store. There is very little room for internal growth and development, as management is more often than not hired from outside the company (this wasn't always the case). It's likely because of this that morale among partners is generally low. Partners are often treated like numbers and not people as to benefit the store's profit margin. Requests for additional training (ie Coffee Master training) are usually denied due to "lack of funding."

High pressure and definately not enough training.

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Tigard, OR
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Tigard, OR

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits if they can hold your hours at the level needed. Pay is low but a pound a coffee a week and a cool environment to work in. My co-workers were fun.

Cons

Not enough training. Throw you on the espresso bar way to early and cause high stress. Have to wear silly theme shirts on Fridays and you have to buy them (or borrow) if you don't have them. Very strict on this. It would have been great to be able to work on the register for a month or two before being forced to work the bar alone (with five customers waiting for their drinks). I had regular customers helping me by telling me how to make their drinks because I was new and wasn't ready for bar. Wasn't worth the stress for sure.

Listen to employees, even if they are on a lower level. I had many co-workers complain about our super OCD and controlling manager that was intolerable, but she kept her job while employee after employee quit. One long time worker begged me to document what had happened and to speak out for the rest of the employees.