Starbucks Reviews

3.7
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,802 Ratings

1. Customers made the job!!

Former Employee - Barista in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Barista in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, good way to meet people, hourly rate is low, but very few companies offer a benefits package for part-time employees like Starbucks does.

Cons

If you work with lazy partners, your job will be unbearable at times. Because of the nature of the job, it can be difficult to make friends with your peers if you don't "mesh" well with group.

While personal relationships are inevitable with your subordinates at a job like this, be sure to not let that affect your treatment of partners. Remain fair and unbiased.

2. LOVE THIS COMPANY!

Current Employee - Barista in Center Valley, PA
    Current Employee - Barista in Center Valley, PA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Being a college student, they really work around my schedule. I also get great benefits as well.

Cons

The training is always constant.

3. Good company to work for with normal localized problems

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, great coworkers, free coffee weekly!

Cons

Good managers are hit and miss, understaffing isn't uncommon

Work night shifts ever so often. It's only fair and your employees will appreciate you doing it.

5. I enjoyed my daily experiences here and learned a lot from my work.

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

It's somewhat artistic and a lot of service industry. It can be wonderful and horrible on some days like any other job but this place seems somewhat honestly passionate. I felt like this job allowed for a much more social life than a traditional 9-5 job.

Cons

Because it's a strangely-houred service job, your opportunity to hang out with your coworkers is limited & sometimes you have to clopen.

I feel management should try to be more mindful of individuals personal lives & schedules outside of work.

6. Perfect College Job

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

free coffee, never boring, fun coworkers, flexible scheduling

Cons

difficult customers, sometimes stressful, janitorial duties,

7. The people I work with are my best friends, but the pressure from management and corporate really pushes people out.

Current Employee - Barista in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Barista in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free drinks, 30% discount off shift, weekly tips, weekly coffee markouts, flexible schedule, health benefits, stock options, training bonus, opportunities for advancement. I've also made my best friends through this job.

Cons

Very slow pay raise schedule, experience very dependent on management/work environment, constant pressure to move faster, physically demanding, constantly changing rules, unorganized training, strict upper management. Also the new way of working that they call "playbook" does not work for most stores and makes things more difficult and annoying.

Decide what kind of company you want Starbucks to be and stick to it. Ever since playbook was implemented a year and a half ago, there is new policy regarding speed and customer connection every other week. It is literally impossible to keep our drive thru window times under 45 seconds during the morning rush and have a connection with the customer. Also, there are many factors into the window time that are out of our control, like certain food taking over 2 minutes to cook and people not being able to figure out their Starbucks app/reload their card, etc. It has become ridiculous and it has made me feel like a fast food robot, which I thought was definitely not a part of Starbucks' philosophy.

8. Store manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, PA

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Good benefits, stock options, free pound of coffee or tea, affordable healthcare

Cons

No work life balance, not enough training, if your district do not care for you or want someone to take your place doing your developmental meeting he would eat, text, or work on his computer to keep from showing or help you with anythinh

Support the store manager more

9. So far, so good.

Current Employee - Barista in Tarentum, PA
    Current Employee - Barista in Tarentum, PA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than a year)

Pros

My work environment is fast-paced and my coworkers are a great crowd. I have a good relationship with my manager and am working on promotion.

Cons

Oftentimes the requirements for baristas seem unattainable. I believe this is designed to constantly push employees to be better. For some, this works. For others, it creates resentment.

Treat your good people well. Those who respond to criticism and high standards well should be kept, compensated, and promoted. Those who do not should ultimately be let go. A more hands-on and consistent review process would improve many workplace tensions.

10. Great company, not great management

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, seemed to be a corporation with a soul when I first started, has slowly been shifting toward a fast food mentality though

Cons

Hourly pay is low, although tips did help to even it out
    Poor store manager hiring, my store went through 7 different mangers in 8 years, 3 of which were good

Upper management seems to be out of touch with individual stores and/or store managers. DSMs need to check in with there store managers more often and in person

11. It was fun while it lasted.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Starbucks was a great company to work for. On top of a weekly coffee markout and discounts, partners receive excellent health benefits and a stock bonus yearly. Store managers also have the opportunity to receive a cash bonus quarterly based on sales. It is very possible to build a career at Starbucks with a little motivation. I was hired as a barista and worked my way up to store manager. I know many other people who did this same thing. They believe in their partners and are not afraid to promote within.

Cons

High pressure and fast paced all the time. Often unrealistic expectations from upper management. Zero work-life balance. The work-life balance is what drove me to quit after 9 years with the company.

Be more hands-on with your stores.