Starbucks Reviews

Reset
3.6
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz

Pros
  • Excellent benefits even for part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • No existence of work life balance (in 131 reviews)

• District managers in the Dallas area are amazingly susceptible to engaging in this gossip - it would be comical if it weren't just sad (in 140 reviews)

1. Easy job, decent pay, great benefits

Current Employee - Barista in Neffsville, PA
    Current Employee - Barista in Neffsville, PA

I have been working at Starbucks (More than a year)

Pros

The job is easy to learn and master. You get to acquire knowledge about coffee and improve you're own tastes. The health benefits start at working 20 hours a week and are very good.

Cons

The customers are a handful, corporate tends to utilize some odd promotions, you can only advance to shift manager position, pay is capped after a certain period

A lot depends on your location - Barista

Current Employee - Barista in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Coworkers are some of the best -Job can be fun -Benefits for PT/FT -You can go home at the end of the day -Tips (kind of) -1 free food item per shift, free drinks per shift -30% discount on food/drink outside of shifts -30% discount on retail items -1 weekly mark-out per week (whole bean coffee/vias/tea etc)

Cons

Let me start at the most obvious - pay. Depending on your location the pay can be awful, I'm in PA and make $8.40/hr which is wholly disproportionate to the work required especially since I am in a very busy location - the busiest in the region. Almost everyone I work with has a second job because you cannot be an adult these days making $8.40/hr even if it is plus tips. Tips fluctuate and are not guaranteed, some stores only make .30 extra an hour other places can make up to $2 (if the hiring manager boasts $4 extra an hour in tips, they're lying, that's a myth.) I don't know why Starbucks isn't on more of these activists radar when it comes to paying a living wage, they need to be. Starbucks likes to distract people by offering up discounts, benefits, college to employees but it's so you don't realize how low the pay is for the job that's asked of us. Secondly, the work involved. This isn't just making coffee, ringing people out and making some food. Oh no. If you're going to a store with a Drive-Thru the workload instantly triples. Drive-Thru is the worst part of Starbucks and it's not going away. If you don't know about DT here's a taste: 1 person is responsible for taking the orders when someone pulls up, entering the orders on the screen, greeting people at the window, taking their money and handing out drinks, if you're lucky you have someone called Order Support that will retrieve and heat your food for you and every transaction needs to under FIFTY SECONDS. Not only that, you are supposed to connect with every customer as well. You do all of those things all at the same time. It's pretty ridiculous and Starbucks is setting itself and us up for failure. You also have cleaning tasks that are outside regular cleaning but you are expected to get the task done while you're doing your everyday job which is impossible - cleaning tasks include: cleaning fridges, drains, gaskets, sinks, garbage cans, etc and you can typically get 1 per day or 1 or 2 every few days, more if it's slow. If you're a closer you get a heavy workload with less people. Heavy workload means cleaning everything on top of setting up the morning openers. Closers start tasks early in the evening because Starbucks expects employees to open/close the entire store within 30 minutes. Openers can't start early due to rules so typically we're still doing opening tasks after we're already open and waiting on people. Be aware that a lot of your satisfaction / happiness is going to depend on other people. If you get a great Store Manager, Shift Managers and Partners then that will make the job worth it. People aren't lying when they say they make friends for life, there are great people out there. But on the flip side, if you get a terrible SM, SS and catty, lazy Partners then the job will be infinitely less enjoyable and probably not worth it. Starbucks is pretty terrible about communicating to everyone including promotions and they also are total pushovers when it comes to customers calling corporate on a store. They also push a "Just Say Yes" mantra which can easily be taken advantage of by scummy customers. No merit-based pay raises, everyone gets the same raise in January. No negotiating pay. At all. I don't feel there are a lot of career opportunities outside of retail, Starbucks likes to hire outsiders for Corp, SM and DM positions but I suppose this can vary by location. Starbucks is not eco-friendly. In fact, my store doesn't even recycle, the only "friendly" thing we do is donate old pastries to a charity (Partners aren't allowed to have old pastries FYI!) My city doesn't enforce recycling so they don't do it. Shame.

Advice to Management

Pay, pay, pay, pay. The workload is too much for the hourly pay and no, tips do not make up for it. You can't expect your customers to fill in the pay gap that you leave. Reexamine Playbook, keep some things but toss most of it. It's ok to admit you were wrong. Your employees are the lifeblood of your company and you need to listen to them. Drive-Thru needs totally revamped because it's a terrible set-up. If you want to be the Coffee McDonald's then you need to set up the DT like McDonald's. 1 person cannot adequately run DT, especially for busy locations. Manage your own expectations. Want fast DT times? Then you have to sacrifice customer connection because you can't have both. One or the other, those are the options. You expect too much from closers, the workload is too much for the 3 people left to close. There is so much to do, has anyone in Corp ever closed a retail location? Lastly, if you question anything I have written here please feel free and go to one of your busiest locations, put on an apron and tell me I'm wrong. We're not slackers with our hands out, we work really hard and we deserve to be fairly compensated for that.

3. Doable for a while

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pleasant in a lower volume store. Good perks on the job (e.g. free food item, drinks, 30% off all other items, free pound of coffee a week). Operational hours are long enough to allow for flexible scheduling.

Cons

Little to no opportunity for development within company-upper management always looking for outside hires for "fresh ideas". The store and the people you work with can really make our break you. Schedule doesn't come out far in advance. Requesting off can be difficult sometimes, and almost impossible during holiday season.

Advice to Management

Better communication within districts would be nice, and a better understanding of how and why different stores seem to operate differently

5. My experience at overall experience at Starbucks is amazing, all though the target I'm at front end is horrible.

Current Employee - Starbucks Barista Inside Safeway in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Starbucks Barista Inside Safeway in Phila, PA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working at Starbucks because it thought me many different ways on how to be polite, create beverages, and how to work as a team.

Cons

The challenges of working at a Starbucks are learning to take responsibility when something goes wrong, making sure that everyone is on the same boat because even if one person is off everything will fall apart.

6. Current Employee

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time

Pros

Great benefits 401k matches the first year at 6% Stocks are available to all employee at no cost Free retail coffee or tea weekly Company is partnered with vendors everywhere Great insurance Paid Maternity leave is offered Best business that customers build relations with emplyees The employees help with community service

Cons

Long shifts Standing your entire shifts It is a customer service job Inconsistency between how the store is ran

7. Shift Supervisor

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Gettysburg, PA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Gettysburg, PA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a fantastic job if you can handle stressful scenarios. The benefits are out of this world and the relationships you build with your partners and customers are irreplaceable.

Cons

It can get really stressful and draining

8. mm, coffee. bleh, customers

Former Employee - Barista in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Barista in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee and treats. Nice Co workers. Nice boss

Cons

Annoying customers for days. Never ends.entitled. think you are just the thing between them and their morning Joe.

9. Barista

Current Employee - Barista in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Starbucks (More than a year)

Pros

Fair, positive work environment; rapport with co-workers

Cons

High intensity, demanding; inconsistent scheduling

10. Great Place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits(health, 401k, coffee mark outs weekly etc.), opportunities for advancement, and partners are amazing. Great company culture, good pay

Cons

Stressful, lots of changes being made, ambiguity in roles. I wish there was more clarity in what higher ups wanted us to deliver

Advice to Management

Really need to work on clarification of roles, what is it that you are supposed to be doing in the ASM role. From what I've gathered you basically are to take on all the new responsibilities and then work on training? Seems backwards

11. Store Manager with limited opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

If you put a lot in you will earn the respect of the team you manage, but unless you kiss a lot of butt and "speak when spoken too" your path will be halted.

Cons

I watched great store manager lose their momentum and drive because of politics and an insecure district management team.

Advice to Management

My big piece of advice would be to get over themselves and humble themselves before the people they lead.

Showing 106 of 7,344 reviews