Starbucks

Starbucks Reviews in Phoenix, AZ

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz

Howard D. Schultz

Pros
  • Great benefits even for part time employees and a supportive work atmosphere(in 394 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week(in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field(in 107 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners(in 111 reviews)

53 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company, leading through the lens of humanity.

Store Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsHumbling, rewarding and fun environment. Many development opportunities, ability to make everyday a great day. Surrounded by highly developed peer who are always willing to support when needed. I have much admiration for Howard.

ConsChallenging to follow through planning a workweek when baristas call in sick.

Good starting place, not a place to stay

Barista (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

Prosexcellent job for those looking for a job that is flexible with other needs for your schedule like college and family. Excellent starting job with good benefits for the industry.

ConsYou will most likely work weekends, they blackout time off during holidays, the pay for new employees is low, the job has become more demanding, they have increased the focus on sales

Advice to Senior Managementinstead of focusing on providing more benefits also increase employ pay

Everything you read about & more!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsPeople centric - customer & employee

ConsNone that i can think of

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great company

Barista (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsFull insurance is offered from your very first day, not very many companies offer that

ConsHaving to deal with customers and too much caffieine

Enjoyed my job!

Barista (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat coworkers, never bored, great discount

ConsThe only issue I had was due to a previous injury, I had a hard time being on my feet for 8 hours.

Great benefits

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat Job for Students, Great Benefits, Flexible hours.

ConsLimited Opportunities to move up, even if interest is shown. Upper Management is very inconsistent depending on area or District your employed in.

Best College Job Ever!

Barista - Starbucks (Former Employee) Mesa, AZ

ProsFree pound of coffee a week, a great atmosphere, usually flexible hours, and did I say free coffee! Great place to start off or be making money while prepping a career.

ConsNot much career growth, and it is the customer service industry. Also, promotions are very political, as in, if the manager doesn't think fondly of you, you probably can't do enough to get promoted. But the pay off isn't that great to get promoted anyway, just stay a barista, and enjoy making coffee.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistrict Managers are hard to be checked, and many are awful, biased, and psychologically unstable (seriously, you should check them). Also, you should attempt to minimize the scare tactics for QASA, as it creates an unhealthy work environment, and maybe focus on just simply keeping things orderly so random audits aren't such a huge deal.

Good company with great perks

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsCreating growing friendships, and sharing a love for what we do. We also get free coffee, and great discounts.

Consthe pay could be better, but I'm not complaining about it.

Great Overall Company Philosophy/Brutal Day to Day Job

Starbucks Store Manager (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsCompany stood for good causes, treated employees well from a policy perspective, offered medical benefits to part-time employees and free caffeine. A great PT job for fast-paced, young people.

ConsMid-Level managment turnover was regular and rarely for the better. Benefits for FT employees were significantly more expensive v. similar retail/food companies. Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field. Respect/perks/prestige usually only given to "devoted" employees who would "cheerfully" work 60-70 hour/7 day weeks, all holidays, and split shifts throughout the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward thinking at a managment level, not only worker-bee mindsets.

Fun but not paid enough

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat, fun work environment. Team atmosphere. Very fast paced. Free coffee weekly and free drinks while on the clock. Great healthcare benefits.

ConsPay sucks. I have worked at the company for TEN YEARS and I only make 12.66/hr. They don't give cost of living raises and I only receive a 25cent raise twice a year which is now a company standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you paid your employees a little better, you might not have such a high turn over rate.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!