Starbucks

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz

Howard D. Schultz

47 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best College Job Ever!

Barista - Starbucks (Former Employee)
Mesa, AZ

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree pound of coffee a week, a great atmosphere, usually flexible hours, and did I say free coffee! Great place to start off or be making money while prepping a career.

ConsNot much career growth, and it is the customer service industry. Also, promotions are very political, as in, if the manager doesn't think fondly of you, you probably can't do enough to get promoted. But the pay off isn't that great to get promoted anyway, just stay a barista, and enjoy making coffee.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistrict Managers are hard to be checked, and many are awful, biased, and psychologically unstable (seriously, you should check them). Also, you should attempt to minimize the scare tactics for QASA, as it creates an unhealthy work environment, and maybe focus on just simply keeping things orderly so random audits aren't such a huge deal.

Good company with great perks

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

ProsCreating growing friendships, and sharing a love for what we do. We also get free coffee, and great discounts.

Consthe pay could be better, but I'm not complaining about it.

Fast paced, crazy hours, lots of caffeine

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee)
Chandler, AZ

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree pound of coffee every week. Free drink 30 min prior and after every shift as well as infinite free drinks during shift. Employee discount. Great insurance, 401k, stock options.

ConsManagement demands a lot from employees. I worked 10 or more days straight, 10 hour shifts, sometimes working until 9 30 PM and having to come right back in at 4 AM.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't spread your employees so thin. Constantly hire and train to make up for lost employees, sick time etc.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Overall Company Philosophy/Brutal Day to Day Job

Starbucks Store Manager (Current Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

ProsCompany stood for good causes, treated employees well from a policy perspective, offered medical benefits to part-time employees and free caffeine. A great PT job for fast-paced, young people.

ConsMid-Level managment turnover was regular and rarely for the better. Benefits for FT employees were significantly more expensive v. similar retail/food companies. Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field. Respect/perks/prestige usually only given to "devoted" employees who would "cheerfully" work 60-70 hour/7 day weeks, all holidays, and split shifts throughout the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward thinking at a managment level, not only worker-bee mindsets.

Fun but not paid enough

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat, fun work environment. Team atmosphere. Very fast paced. Free coffee weekly and free drinks while on the clock. Great healthcare benefits.

ConsPay sucks. I have worked at the company for TEN YEARS and I only make 12.66/hr. They don't give cost of living raises and I only receive a 25cent raise twice a year which is now a company standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you paid your employees a little better, you might not have such a high turn over rate.

Barista employee

Tempe, AZ

I worked at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat benefits, friendly atmosphere, great hours and good pay.

ConsTime-off is hard to get, hours are come as they go.

The benefits do not out way the negative

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

ProsI really enjoy making coffee and interacting with customers. The pros of Starbucks is really only the health benefits.

ConsThe health benefits are really not that good!! Due to low wages you can't afford the copay and deductible so it is not really that great. Management is really not great. They encourage people to come to work sick. I can't count the number of times that baristas came to work with fevers or coughs or sneezing or throwing up. If you don't need insurance as a part time worker don't bother. Go to a franchise or independent place.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great Job.

Barista (Current Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt is a great place to work while in school. Flexible schedule and many opportunities to move up in the company.

ConsWorking during the holidays is tough.

Advice to Senior ManagementHiring within the company really promotes positive growth and they still know what it is like to be a barista and the challenges that come with it. Experiencing off the street hires tend to have no clue what is going on or how a store functions.

Fun experience

Gilbert, AZ

I worked at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

ProsTips, fun atmosphere, benefits, opportunity to change stores

ConsHours (can be very early), pay

A decent job with low compensation.

Tempe, AZ

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits, free drinks while working, free coffee beans each week, accepting environment, flexible hours, easy to cover shifts and obtain more hours.

ConsHigh stress, unrealistic expectations for baristas, open all holidays with black-out requests off, low wages for demanding standards, restricting dress code.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your baristas some appreciation for the work they do and flack they put up with. Minimum wage for a job as demanding as this is completely unacceptable.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Starbucks reviews and ratings in Phoenix, AZ — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Starbucks CEO Howard D. Schultz. All 47 reviews posted anonymously by Starbucks employees.