Starbucks

3.7 4,254 reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz

Howard D. Schultz

(2,901 ratings)

Pros
  • Great benefits even for part time employees and a supportive work atmosphere(in 394 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week(in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field(in 107 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners(in 111 reviews)

4,254 Employee Reviews

Shift Supervisor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat fun when working under the good management. Perks are awesome. Customers can be amazing sometimes. All in all if you work in a strong store you'll love it.

ConsPay is not enough for shift managers. If you are in a store run by lazy managers you will hate your job. Sadly it seems good managers can be far and few between.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring lazy dispassionate/mediocre managers who take advantage of their title and work hardly any hours yet get salaried. Quality vs. quantity comes to mind. Happy employees equals better customer service which equals more business.

Give us more time!!

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI get to create relationships with regular customers and feel like they're family!
    I believe we have a quality product and strive to make every customer enthusiastically satisfied!

ConsUnrealistic expectations make you always feel behind the ball/rushed/like there's not enough time to get everything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour store managers are holding the puppet strings for every movements of your front line- your baristas and shift supervisors. We are the ones who set the tone and hold them to the standards and communicate important information and set the examples and ... We WANT to make their experience at work a positive one, but ours isn't!! Removing labor hours and trimming all the fat away from everything makes the expectations near impossible and not only that but it removes that positive experience at work. It runs your people who you value so much into the ground. I think if you really want to put a value on the customer experience and the partner experience , you need to rethink how much you value our time. We come to work to make excellent coffee, to put smiles on peoples faces, to connect with our community....but come work one day in our stores with the labor you allot us and the amount of tasks you expect us to complete. As someone who ALWAYS believed in our company and who always does what's asked of me, I'm disappointed as a partner in how much I feel like I cannot do my job within the parameters we are given. If you gave us more hours I'd stay.

An amazing experience

Barista (Former Employee) Towson, MD

ProsLoved working here. The other baristas and shift supervisors were always extremely supportive!

ConsManagement was an issue at times. I believe quite a bit was required for minimum wage.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company that generally cares about their employees!

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Lakeland, FL

ProsStarbucks is a very positive company to work for. They place great emphasis on developing their employees into well-rounded people.

ConsStarbucks work-life balance is very difficult to maintain. The pay is not so amazing that it's incredibly easy to make it just on your scheduled shifts. Most managers do not schedule the shift supervisors to a complete 40 hours a week.

Fabulous in 2007

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe environment is comfortable, the product enjoyable, the people who work next to you are wonderful. The weekly coffee payout is truly missed in my home as well as the employee discount. One of the better companies at communicating to operations staff company future and current trends.

ConsHours of work can be challenging given strict budgets on labor and food costs. The pay is low to moderate for managers, however, the bonuses helped considerably when meeting store goals. Mid level management has low turn over. Very challenging to move up in positions.

An Enjoyable Experience

Barista - Starbucks (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsYour co-workers. I really enjoyed the collegial atmosphere, everyone works together. I believe your enjoyment as a barista is based on who your manager is. I had a great manager who fostered teamwork and responsibility.

ConsSometimes you're on your own. You've got long lines of customers with no back-up and you've just got to get the work done. I also got annoyed that some co-workers would refuse to take weekends. As such, my manager would assign me the weekends instead.

Overall, it was a great experience

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Missoula, MT

ProsStock options, great and affordable health care

ConsOur store never retained a manager for more than a few months

It wasn't bad

Barista (Former Employee) Nipomo, CA

ProsIt had a good benefits package, and mostly a good atmosphere with most of the baristas and supervisors being very kind and courteous.

ConsThe store manager is a nut. The district manager is a nut. And the bureaucracy is huge, if you've worked for corporations before, you know what I mean.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe benefits that you give to the partners are outstanding, keep it up. Take a look at the management, I feel like the good managers and good workers get shafted while the backstabbers and the toadies and the bootlickers get rewarded.

Store Manager

ProsGreat work life balance, great company. Great benefits and truly get to know what it takes to run a business on your own.

ConsVery fast pace and always changing atmosphere. Company is constantly changing which means very little stability day to day and always have to keep up with corporate changes while still keeping up with your day to day grind. Very stressful.

Great for learning work ethic.

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) West New York, NJ

ProsThe main thing to think about is the employee benefits for Full-Time and Part-Time jobs.

ConsThe lack of communications between manager to the baristas.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter form of training new baristas entering the company.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!