Starbucks Reviews

4,471 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,044 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 401 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field (in 109 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners (in 114 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

Wonderful company with amazing benefits, great customers, awesome vibe, and amazing partners. 10/10

I have been working at Starbucks part-time

Pros

Tuition reimbursement, customers are great, vibe is wonderful, benefits are amazing.

Cons

Customer service is the name of the game. You really need to be personable.

Changed my life.

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits, vacation, free coffee, fun working environment.

Cons

Stressful, competing demands, not enough hours to accomplish administrative tasks.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great, if you want to move up in retail and can play politics.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Bridgeport, CT
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Bridgeport, CT

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of fun to work with dedicated and hilarious co-workers. People who put real effort in and aren't working for just a paycheck make it worthwhile, and there usually is room to move up if you're willing to work a lot harder.

Cons

The company expects a lot of everyone, but not everyone pulls their weight. Pay could be better for the expectations, especially as you move up. A shift supervisor may only make a dollar more than a barista.

starbucks

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Palm Harbor, FL
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Palm Harbor, FL

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

company, values, partners, fun and great customers

Cons

poor store level management, no checks and balances for store management, no focus on business and sales goals, your success relies 100% on the competency of the store manager who spends the majority of her schedules hours attending to boyfriend issues not business

hire people with worth ethics and integrity who attend their scheduled shifts. Professionalism over personal drama and hire managers the refrain from stealing tips from the hourly paid partners, that's what their bonuses are for.

the starbucks life...

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Starbucks work environment is extremely fast paced and is good for people looking for work that is challenging. It is an easy place to meet great people and building strong relationships not only with partners but customers as well. Because of the long operating hours of Starbucks it is a great place for young college students to work and still maintain school. Lastly Starbucks is all about giving back to their employees, whether its in pay, health insurance, tuition reimbursement, or 401K plans.

Cons

I have experienced high amounts of turnover in all stores I have worked in which leads to staffing shortages and stressful days. Starbucks customers can be extremely challenging. As a shift supervisor I feel pay could be better due to the amount of stress that can be involved in the job.

Be open to all partner's willingness to grow and develop with the company and there needs to be a higher level of importance on employees who have college degrees and are wanting to stay with the company.

Made espresso and other coffee drinks for people while trying to provide an excellent customer experience

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Reston, VA

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They provide a box of tea or one pound bag of coffee per week. Not sure if they do currently, but at the time allowed people who worked a minimum of 20 hours to be eligible for benefits. Also give employees stock options. Both of the stores I worked in had good atmospheres and good customer rapport.

Cons

It can get very fast paced and the customers can be very demanding. Also, could not call off work if you did not have anyone to cover your shift. In that way it was a bit inflexible.

My last manager was part of the reason I left. He wanted people to constantly maintain a level of energy and excitement that was somewhat unrealistic. I had been with the company for four years and always showed up to do my job, even on days that I had other matters to take care of.

Customer connections

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Builds leadership skills, multitasking, time management skills. Flexible hours even at the shift level. Great to make networking with co-workers and baristas alike. Health care benefits for part time employees is a plus, as well as long time 401k, paid vacation and stock options. The company credo treats their partners with respect and dignity, and promotes the third place culture, where customers and partners alike can feel at home.

Cons

Can be physically demanding. Sometimes support from upper management can be erratic, not existent. The idea of hiring outside of the company at management level positions, especially store managers doesn't help the company. These hires don't have a balanced view of what their partners experience day in and day out and are not as involved as much as tenured managers.

Care about the connections we make with the customers. Just don't treat them like numbers, Every situation is different. One person, one cup at a time.

This company has great benefits as far as entry level jobs go.

Current Employee - Partner Trainer  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Partner Trainer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The types of people who are drawn towards working at starbucks are always awesome to be around.

Cons

Some busy locations can be tiring places to work. My Starbucks is one of the busiest on the east coast and it can be exhausting.

I would make it less likely for people to "clopen"

barista

Current Employee - Barista  in  East Chicago, IN
    Current Employee - Barista in East Chicago, IN

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My overall experience with Starbucks was great.
    A typical day at Starbucks would be waking up early to do what we do best, make coffee and interact with customers. I learned how to provide the best customer experience at Starbucks to ensure the customer felt inclined to return to our store. It wouldn't be possible with out great co workers who continue to encourage you to better yourself with positive feedback. Everyone looked out for one another. We are like a giant family, which was one of the most enjoyable parts of working at Starbucks. It definitely made for a great work environment.

Cons

free drinks, fun atmosphere
    : rude people, low hours

try and have more fun with the job. Its just coffee.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!