Starbucks Reviews

4,583 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,111 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 401 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field (in 109 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners (in 114 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

Meh..

I have been working at Starbucks for more than 3 years

Pros

-Networking with customers
    -Great starting job, with a decent pay (increases by 6 month review)
    -Free Coffee
    -Flexible scheduling

Cons

-customers and fulfilling some of the strangest, most bazaar orders.
    -management can decide how joyful or how miserable your experiences are going to be.
    -corporate does not keep baristas informed of changes to Starbucks App, food items, or beverage changes.
    -auto shipments can be disastrous if left ignored.

Your stores would do better if you increased labor, let's not worry about that Christmas bonus :).

A Great People-Focused Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Innovative and socially conscious
    Actively solicits feedback from partners and customers
    Lots of great benefits that promote work/life balance
    Room for growth within the stores
    Busy, fun work environment

Cons

Lots of change, often a lot of change within a short period of time, and some decisions seemed contradictory
    Challenging work schedule in the stores
    Can be difficult to transition from a store to a corporate job

Consider how much more labor is allowed when new products or processes are added

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is a roller coaster of change, hard work, and fun.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Metairie, LA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Metairie, LA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've worked at 4 stores in 2 states and I can say that I always enjoy the people I work with. The environment can be very fun and creative and uplifting as well as draining. The products Starbucks offers are great. Howard Schultz really tries to send a message of nurturing and attention to detail with every new product. The customers can also be so wonderful. I have made so many friends from my job. It feels good to be the first face someone sees in the morning on their way to work, and Starbucks nurtures that connection. Policies change often, which is a sign of a desire to constantly improve. Starbucks is always trying to become better and more ethical.

Cons

It is a very physically demanding job. From lifting heavy trash bags full of coffee grounds, to putting up deliveries, constant never-ending cleaning tasks that have to be redone a million times a day all day long, getting underneath cabinets in weird positions to detail clean behind fridges and other things, cleaning spider webs off of the awnings and all other kinds of tasks. Though customers can be wonderful, I have witnessed several occasions where employees were being continually harassed and verbally abused by customers, and management tends to want to give them a free drink and send them on their way. I understand not wanting to loose business, but there needs to be a moral balance. Nobody should be forced to come to work everyday and be yelled at and treated with such disrespect and hatred. My only other real complaint is that moving up from a Shift Supervisor position seems almost impossible. I believe this is because of the district I am in. Our District Manager hires about 90-95 % of higher management from outside of Starbucks when the standard is supposed to be about 70% promoted from within. It's very discouraging when you work as hard as you can and get nowhere.

There should be more willingness to defend partners from abusive customers. Higher management also needs to remember what it is like to do the job of a barista and give more recognition to them. The dress code should be more relaxed and comfortable, especially regarding covering up tattoos. It's a coffee shop, not the white house. Policies should be the same everywhere, not up to the Store Manager to change whenever he/she sees fit or finds it personally beneficial.

Great Company, great relationships, fundamental business skill sets taught

Former Employee - District Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

An entry level barista has all the opportunity in the world to grow and the training is phenomenal. The relationships you can build with partners and customers can connect you to opportunities that you are passionate about. Commitment to the local community is usually done at a high level.

Cons

Schedule is sporadic at best, compensation not at the top tier for a company that markets itself as a top tier company, at the end of my tenure it started to lose its identity- almost falling into the McDonalds model.

Be flexible with compensation, don't lose sight of the spirit that started the company and continue to empower managers the freedom to make the decisions for their stores.

Needs Innovation at Retail Floor plans and mugs should be made local.

Current Employee - Barista  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Barista in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Pros

Lifestyle and Gold Card.. Several Locations.

Cons

Not enough cashiers or self pay stations to scan Starbucks gold card and not enough Batista station pumping out drinks and food.

Needs Innovation and to open local Organic Manufacturing/ Distribution Factory initiative and More Cashiers and Baristas at each remodle. Tired of waiting in line for a product that's not even organic nor locally made and barely supports or local economics except for providing stressful 8 dollar an hour jobs. That's not fulfilling nor gainful.

I absolutely love working for Starbucks. Great people, great management, and opportunities to move up.

Current Employee - Barista  in  Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Barista in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, benefits, and great people to work with.

Cons

Not a lot of money

Good Company!

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks

I worked at Starbucks full-time for less than a year

Pros

You build strong relationships with the regulars, get a free pound of coffee per week, free drinks while working, and co-workers are very outgoing and all work together.

Cons

It's incredibly busy non-stop so being able to give customers quality one-on-one time lacks. Often times it seems like there's not enough people to complete simple jobs.

District Manager

Current Employee - District Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - District Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Challenging, great environment, great benefits, environmentally responsible. Starbucks is a company that takes care of their employees as well as coffee farmers. Good opportunity for advancement if you are smart, hard working and adaptable. Pay is good, you definitely work for it.

Cons

Starbucks is constantly and rapidly changing. If you are not able to adapt, reset priorities and creatively move around obstacles this is probably not the best fit for you.

Barista

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good employee benefits, well-known company, fair compensation.

Cons

Lack of motivation to work towards your fullest potential.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!