Starbucks

5,002 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,389 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 131 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 140 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

A clean enjoyable place to work especially as a student.

Former Employee - Barista in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Barista in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The CEO Howard Shultz is a very open minded guy and is very much in the game of making sure his employees are happy. He's made it so you receive great benefits such as free health care, free dental insurance etc. including a "bean stock" program where you'll have the opportunity to invest in company stock and receive money back over time. Making coffee is a nice job as you'll be allowed to drink a maximum of three free drinks while working (really as many as you would like), get a 30% discount when not working and can take home one free pound of coffee or one box of tea or instant coffee every week as your "mark out". You'll make friends with some of the regulars and they may throw some opportunities your way. If working the early morning shifts (4:00am - 8:00am you can get off work early enough to still enjoy the rest of your day with friends, family etc.) Overall you'll make friends with those you work with and if you have been given the opportunity to work under a relaxed chill manager, you will most likely enjoy your job. By the way, after learning how to make only the best lattes and cappuccinos etc. it will be a lifelong skill you'll have and you'll be able to make them on your own machine at home for you, your friends and your loved ones. This job is what you make it as is most anything in life so enjoy the little things.

Cons

On Sunday mornings after church the customers can truly be some of the rudest ridiculous people but you just have to smile and get through it. You may become addicted to coffee and eventually it will have no effect on you. Some managers can really be anal angry people who will make or break your entire experience there. (If possible try and somehow figure out if the manager is cool).

Make sure to just let your employees do their job and don't hover over and inspect everything they do. Howard Shultz - you're doing great.

Assistant Store Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Starbucks full-time

Pros

Very supportive, a fun environment and great benefits.

Cons

Can be high stress depending what area you are in.

Rely on the support around you.

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A great place to grow and develop professionally. I started as a barista and grew to store manager. I also had the opportunity to become a training facilitator

Cons

Retail is tough work. As part of my store manager tenure I was moved to a new store on a yearly basis in order to build a high functioning team.

Focus more on brewing beans than counting them

Love Starbucks

Former Employee - Barista in Johnstown, CO
    Former Employee - Barista in Johnstown, CO

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Great skills and experience, great procedures/order

Cons

-Can be a great or difficult place to be depending on co-workers

Give your baristas a raise

Awesome Gig- PERFECT HOURS

Former Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL

I worked at Starbucks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy Duties, Good Management, HAVEMYSHIFT will be your best friend. Trade or pick up shift so getting hours is easy. Twice a year raise

Cons

No overtime, in my store is was extremely busy so very hard to focus on the customer, tasks become "routine" very easily and get monotonous

Would be pretty cool to have more Starbucks serve alcohol, although it strays from coffee, I feel like it will add a lot to the social atmosphere of Starbucks. Many customers come in everyday, but how long are they staying.

Cares for their employees

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in New York, NY

I worked at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Medical Benefits, great weekly tips, free drinks.

Cons

Having to wake up extremely early to open the store by 5:30 am

Starbucks is working out great so far!

Current Employee - Barista in Fountain Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in Fountain Valley, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really like the fast paced environment. It makes shifts go by fast and since I'm a generally all around upbeat person, customer service isn't a chore for me like other people.

Cons

The different recipes and unique customer orders are the most challenging aspect of first starting, but once you get the rhythm down it isn't as bad. Frap hour is crazy!

Great company, fun people and cool places of work :)

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Awesome coffee, people and hours are great

Cons

sometimes have to deal with creeps

Best Career out there...

Current Employee - Store Manager in Idaho Falls, ID
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance is a key focus and is truly a factor in so many Managers happiness with this company.

Cons

On your feet 8 hours a day, at a hectic pace from start to finish of a day.