Starbucks Reviews

3.8
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
4,344 Ratings

Pros
  • Excellent benefits even for part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • No existence of work life balance (in 131 reviews)

• District managers in the Dallas area are amazingly susceptible to engaging in this gossip - it would be comical if it weren't just sad (in 140 reviews)

6,912 Employee Reviews

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it. Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican. If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome. They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance. The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country. The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized. In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks. You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that. The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr. There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane. The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service. These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff. Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Advice to Management

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

2. Positive Experience

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Great insurance and stock options. Couldn't find a better part time job.

Cons

Opening shifts are difficult, but you get used to them.

3. Great place, cool people

I worked at Starbucks part-time

Pros

good benefits for part time employees working on your feet, not at a desk generally good management free left over food! and coffee

Cons

long hours when coworkers call out clopenings (closing one night and opening the next morning) switching stores can be a whole different managerial experience the drive through (in NJ)

5. Work life balance

Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager
    Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, competitive total pay, great working environment with excellent leadership team. Fortune 100 company 8 years in a row.

Cons

Early mornings, working holidays, always on your feet.

6. awesome

I have been working at Starbucks full-time

Pros

Great environment awesome staff and management. The overall experience is wonderful. Nothing like starbucks.

Cons

Not always 40 hours a week . Very fast paced. Drive thru can suck at times..

Advice to Management

Hire more staff but still continue to do a fabulous job ..

7. shift supervisor

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being surrounded by great people

Cons

You don't make enough money.

Intense, stressful, but otherwise a good job.

Current Employee - Barista Trainer
    Current Employee - Barista Trainer

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Generally speaking, management is wonderful. Some stores aren't that way, but you'd have to be pretty unlucky to end up at one of those. 2. Company values are some you can appreciate too. Starbucks has an open coaching policy. Anyone can coach anyone on anything, and it is used as a helpful maneuver to remind partners of standards, etc. Most companies will use it as punishment, but Starbucks coaching is meant to help you, not hurt you. 3. EVERY COMPANY SHOULD DO THIS: they train their management from the very bottom as a barista to the level they will be working. We trained our state-level regional manager at my store.

Cons

I'd like to point out initially that I work at a somewhat high volume store. Don't let these cons scare you away if you want to work at Starbucks - the overall environment is worth it if you can deal with the following: 1. Every store is incredibly inconsistent. As a barista/shift supervisor or anyone who directly deals with customers it is difficult to explain to some customers that the other store is supposed to be charging them for soy milk, or something of that sort. 2. Customers tend to expect you to work faster than some people's hands can move. Working here puts you under a lot of pressure and you have to work very well with people staring you down. 3. Most stores I've encountered aren't up to current standards. A huge factor is they are constantly changing. This is not a bad thing necessarily, but with so many stores not keeping every partner up to date or are just not well-informed, it rounds back to the inconsistency.

Advice to Management

It is incredibly difficult to keep everyone up to date with standards. Playbook was a very helpful change as long as its done correctly.

9. Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Starbucks (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compared to other big food service or retail industries, Starbucks has a solid work-life balance. They do a great job of listening to your ideas. They treat everyone with respect and dignity.

Cons

Unless you're in Seattle, there's not much opportunity to move into various roles except District Manager.

10. Barista

Former Employee - Barista in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Barista in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had a fantastic manager, worked with fun people who stayed friends for years after I stopped working there, some customers were really appreciative and fun to see every morning

Cons

Working experience is very dependent on who your manager is, and the customers are used to being picky and sometimes that turns into them being rude

11. Barista

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Starbucks gives you a decent amount of benefits, even for part-time employees (20+ hours/week). They're willing to work around whatever schedule you have and the partners are always awesome. Starbucks creates a kind of community of partners and everyone knows each other. Everyone is there to help each other. Everyone gets a review every 6 months and, depending upon your performance, will receive a raise. You also get in-store discounts, and you can use these for Teavanna as well.

Cons

For some reason, customer service at Starbucks seems to be much more tough than at other places. I've been doing customer service since I was 15, and it definitely seems like the customers are much more angry and rude at Starbucks than at a lot of other places I've worked at. Maybe it's because you're the only thing coming between a person and their first dose of caffeine, I'm not sure.

Advice to Management

I think the management at Starbucks is doing fine. There is sort of a really aggressive push for partners to buy into the Starbucks mantra, and that was the only thing I didn't like about the company itself.

Showing 6,912 of 6,966 reviews