Starbucks Reviews

6,011 Reviews
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,869 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 131 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 140 reviews)

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Advice to Management

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

Barista

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- As a college student, they are VERY flexible with your schedule and will always find a way balance your work and school life
    - Free food mark out every shift, a pound of coffee every week and free drinks while on the clock
    - Great co-workers, tend to be super fun and together create a barista culture that we seem to only understand

Cons

- Some customers can be super rude but we get the last laugh... #decaf

Advice to Management

I've only have pleasant things to say about the managers, they are all super friendly and looking out for you.

3. barista

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coffee, food, people, flexible hours, willingness to work with your schedule

Cons

Working, cleaning, customers, rude, coffee depends

Advice to Management

Make sure employees get their breaks

Barista

Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Bronx, NY

I worked at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

lots of hours depending on the store
    great pay for students
    raise every 6 months if you're good
    pretty easy

Cons

customers are too much for me

Advice to Management

be on the floor more!

6. Barista

Current Employee - Barista in Carson City, NV
    Current Employee - Barista in Carson City, NV

Rewarding
    Good benefits
    Flexible Hours
    Great staff
    free coffee

Cons

Customers can get irritable
    the messes can get weird
    its always changing with little communication
    can get really stressful

Advice to Management

Communicate more with your employees to provide a more comfortable working place.
    Be available to help people when they are in desperate need.

7. Barista who cleans the store when not busy.

Current Employee - Barista in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast pace, family environment, fun

Cons

Drive-thru, cleaning, stuck up customers

Advice to Management

Keep work fun, everyone is trying their best

8. Starbucks is a company that cares about it's partners

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits: 1lb of free coffee every week, tips, healthcare, stock, etc.

Starbucks is always asking it's partners (employees) for feedback on how they are doing, and always trying to improve the workplace (even if it can take some time).

Cons

A lot of the software used on the company's computers is outdated. It often shuts down or freezes causing issues. The registers also seem to always refresh in the middle of a rush. HOWEVER, I did hear they are slowly working on fixing these issues!!

Advice to Management

My advice to Uncle Howie would be to continue to listen to your partners! Your business has been so successful because you continue to commit to your partners as well as your customers! :)

9. Barista at one of the busiest stores in the district

Current Employee - Barista in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Starbucks is an amazing company with amazing benefits! They truly care about the people they work with, including their customers and their partners (employees). The best place I could imagine to work, honestly!

Cons

With all the amazing benefits, The downside to Starbucks is it easy to get lost in the shuffle. Starbucks is such a huge company that some partners the are just "pay-check partners" lose focus of the companies mission and values, which is really sad.

Advice to Management

What needs to happen, is they need to make sure that at the entry level, they are only hiring people who are excited and passionate about the Starbucks Mission and values.

10. Barista

Current Employee - Barista in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Barista in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Starbucks (More than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, fast paced, free coffee and food

Cons

Must be able to learn quickly

11. Barista

Current Employee - Barista in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Barista in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits including stocks, healthcare, and tuition reimbursement. Opportunities to move up are present depending on store. Raises every year.

Cons

Having to deal with rude customers on occasion.

Advice to Management

Keep in mind the seasoned partners instead of just focusing on new people.