Starbucks Reviews

3.8
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
4,529 Ratings

Pros
  • Excellent benefits even for part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • No existence of work life balance (in 131 reviews)

• District managers in the Dallas area are amazingly susceptible to engaging in this gossip - it would be comical if it weren't just sad (in 140 reviews)

7,313 Employee Reviews

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it. Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican. If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome. They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance. The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country. The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized. In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks. You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that. The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr. There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane. The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service. These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff. Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Advice to Management

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

Retail Store Manager

Former Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in UC Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in UC Berkeley, CA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefit package including bonus, 401k, partner discount, free 1lbs coffee beans a month, stocks, etc.

Cons

Company turnover & job security

3. Barista

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, consistent hours, ability to transfer to other stores across the US & other countries. You also make tips which are split between all partners. Excellent opportunities for advancement within the company.

Cons

Pay for a barista starts at 8.00 an hour in NC. Pay raises are only once a year and are prorated - and are usually about 10-20 cents. Shift Supervisors start at 9.75 an hour, which is low considering the large amount of work and responsibility a shift has.

Advice to Management

Offer more raise opportunities; Partners should receive free beverages from the store they work at whether on or off the clock. Hourly pay should depend on experience and a raise should be offered much more often than once a year.

5. Great

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks

Pros

Great benefits and people.

Cons

It varies from store to store but the company as a whole is great

6. Amazing Company

Current Employee - Store Manager in Simi Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Simi Valley, CA

I have been working at Starbucks (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are so many benefits to take advantage of, and they offer competitive pay!

Cons

I can't find any cons.

7. PERFECT job for a student!

Former Employee - Barista in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Positive environment, promotes teamwork, fantastic benefits for part-time employees (healthcare, stock, money for school, 401K,etc), ability to transfer between locations, easy to pick up hours at other stores, flexible schedules, and a pay raise every 6 months!

Cons

Customers can be grumpy, some staff are complainers, and the District Manager in Sacramento is horrible.

Advice to Management

Require District Managers to promote the culture as well as pushing sales goals and promote managers from within!

8. Working at Starbucks

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in New York, NY

Pros

Amazing Benefits Great job that's always hiring and you can find anywhere else Free food and coffee Other partners are cool

Cons

For a company has been around for so long, they haven;t automated scheduling so you HAVE to take a picture of the schedule when it comes up They make it hard to find coverage The company cares more about giving rules than the product honestly

Advice to Management

Ease up more and get into the 21st century with your scheduling. Emailing it would even be better than having to take a picture.

9. It depends on the store

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All the benefits and perks that come from either opening the store up or closing, there's benefits to both

Cons

Dealing with difficult costumers and management that constantly ask the world from you not knowing what you ate already going through

Advice to Management

Do our jobs and you'll stop complaining about the things that aren't done.

10. Good Job, Hard Work

Current Employee - Barista
    Current Employee - Barista

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My coworkers and the management are awesome, and very understanding people. There is a good morale in my store, which makes it enjoyable to come to work. We get a pound of free coffee (or tea, or k-cups) each week, and as much coffee (within reason) we want during a shift. Also, every shift comes with a free food item. For me, it was a great way to meet people after moving to a new city. The health insurance is also affordable, even for part-time, and it becomes available after 3 months of work. It's also nice to know that after being trained as a starbucks barista, it would be easy to get another position at starbucks no matter where I am. Also, it's fairly easy to work at other locations for extra hours.

Cons

Sometimes working early hours (my store's early shift starts at 5am), training to be a barista can be challenging since they have hundreds of drinks, standing on your feet a lot, fast-paced and sometimes stressful work environment, low entry-level wages (8/hr plus tips).

Advice to Management

Raise the wages and make sure all locations have an active store manager, not just shift managers covering for them. Also, online schedules would be a huge improvement.

11. Barista Experience

I worked at Starbucks part-time

Pros

Great people and great environment! The team is very supportive and the job can be a lot of fun.

Cons

It can sometimes be hard to cater to so many customer orders, especially when there are particularly demanding customers.

Showing 7,313 of 7,357 reviews