Starbucks Reviews

5,814 Reviews
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,809 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 131 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 140 reviews)

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

Shift Supervisor

Former Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They had excellent benefits, the free coffee and discounts were GREAT! The ability to meet tons of people, I worked with a great team and was able to pick up additional shifts when I needed to.

Cons

The salary... unless you were a manager (~$40K+) the most you could get was between $7-$10/hr + tips. That's just how it goes... I needed a bit more $ for grad school so I had to move on.

na

Great company for college students

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in San Fernando, CA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in San Fernando, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This job got me through college, free coffee and very flexible hours. Their health insurance is great and you only have to work 20 hours a week. Once you get all the drink recipes job you can conquer any starbucks rush

Cons

Dealing with grouchy soccer moms Before coffee isn't always a picnic. The company expects a lot from you- greet each customer with a huge smile, perfectly make their drink, keep everything clean, make the customer feel like they're your number 1 priority and have them out the door in 3 minutes. It's just not always possible in a very busy store. Plus having to be at wok at 4 am is no picnic... Unless you're a morning person

rewarding, supportive, great place to work at as a student or young adult

Current Employee - Barista
    Current Employee - Barista

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

supportive management, helpful coworkers, excellent benefits, good company culture/values

Cons

erratic scheduling, fast-paced and stressful environment

6. Fast and good for part-time wanting students.

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good tips and hours. Fast paced and hour goes by real quick

Cons

Can be handful and stressful and not a lot of breaks for having to stand up constantly

Benefits galore!!

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many perks and benefits to being a partner. On top of health care, stock, 401k, they now offer an education benefit that is hard to beat!! Perks, like LA Fitness discounts and Verizon Wireless discounts. The list goes on!!!

Cons

It's very competitive among partners and it is very hard work physically and mentally! Especially if you work in a high volume drive-thru store. Depending on your state, they start at minimum wage and their raises have become standardize, so it's not a single income job, unless you are an ASM or SM.

Keep doing what your are doing!! Maybe come up with incentives to better motivate baristas to reach higher sales goals.

8. Barista

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Bastrop, TX
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Bastrop, TX

I worked at Starbucks part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits, the beginning of your training is knowledgeable, great discount/free drinks/free food, a fun job! I would have stayed there for as long as possible if I didn't have to move. Some people don't like opening (4 AM-1 PM) but I absolutely loved it, I had the rest of my day to do whatever. And very flexible with my schedule ( I was taking 5 classes) Monday-Thursday and I still got at least 30 hours.

Cons

It is very very stressful, very fast-paced, in the beginning you kind of get thrown into the job, but I feel that is also a pro as well, it benefits you in the long run. Pay is not that great and depending on location, tips can really suck There was a lot of drama at my store but that has everything to do with location.

I think corporate does very well with treating their employees right. I believe every store manager is different, I was fortunate to have a great one but I've heard that some horror stories about others not doing what they should have. It really is one of the greatest companies to work for.

9. great corporation to work for, excellent benefits, easy job with really hectic moments

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

benefits, flexible schedules, good work/life balance

Cons

upper management can be awful. store managers are hit and miss. most management promotions are a popularity contest which gets unqualified people promoted. company is moving away from its core (coffee) and customer base (urban professionals) and is becoming the home of unlimited flavors of frappuccinos for obnoxious teenagers.

look at your partners ABILITY to do their job for promotions instead of promoting friends

10. Starbucks

Current Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

enjoy working here very fun and you meet lots of people.

Cons

you have to be really great at muti-tasking. too man jobs for one person to do sometimes.

took me 6 months to get a promotion.

11. Barista

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

People, drinks, benefits, flexible hours

Cons

Pay, amount of consistent hours