Starbucks

5,624 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,712 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 131 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 140 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

Awesome job for Students

Current Employee - Barista in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Since a lot of locations are open 20 hours or more per day, it is easy to work around your school schedule. My senior year of college, I had to work around class, volunteering, and research hours. I was still able to work as much as I wanted, which for me was about 30 hours per week.

Great place to learn to connect to and talk with all types of people.

Cons

Starbucks is the opposite of a passive desk job. If you aren't willing to keep moving and stay productive at all times, this is not the job for you.

The benefits are snagging and people are great.

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

The benefits and tips available

Cons

The early morning hours can be brutal

One of the best part-time jobs for students.

Former Employee - Barista in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Barista in Miami, FL

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

You are able to have a flexible schedule which is great as a student. The first days are the hardest because you have to learn the proper way of making the drinks and what specific ingredients each drink carries but after that, its a breeze.

Cons

The biggest challenge is learning the drinks but after the week of training you should have them down packed. After that, i would say the rush hour periods can be the most stressful but it's important to try to keep calm and do one drink at a time, most customers understand how hectic it can get.

Proper training of new employees and current employees is essential because it will be the what can make or break the store's efficiency and work environment.

Good first job.

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Free 1lb coffee, and free drinks.

Cons

Pay and management is't the greatest. If you messed up, management will tell other store managers and everyone will know your business.

Great company that cares for its Partners.

Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free coffee, sometimes pastries. Great for meeting new people in the community.

Cons

Challenges are dealing with groggy customers who just need their morning coffee.

Great place to start

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good enviroment, great co workers, flexible scheduling, free drinks and free food item when at work, discounts on mercandise, and drinks when not at work, free weekly markout (coffee), 401K, health benefits.

Cons

as a place to start is good, if you wanna make a career out of it, is going to take you a long time if you start from the bottom, low pay for baristas, constant cleaning. my store is busy, so you get no time to breathe while you are on the floor.

Improve the baristas payment, we do work a lot, even more than upper positions. Overall is a nice company with good values and a fun place to work.

Fun and exciting job

Current Employee - Barista in Palatine, IL
    Current Employee - Barista in Palatine, IL

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Perks such as tips, free pound of coffee/week, free food item and drink/shift, excellent benefits, opportunity to grow and develop, opportunity to move up within company, flexible hours within home store or other district stores

Cons

No sick time, usually promote if seeking to stay with company long-term, irregular weekly schedules, no guarantee of hours

Sick days would be nice. Promotions shouldn't just be for those looking to stay with Starbucks forever because there are still hard workers willing to go above and beyond.

It was a great experience helping people.

Current Employee - Barista in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Its great waking up in the morning to a cup of coffee and that what I provide for customers.

Cons

When it gets busy I can get chaotic.

Organization is key to making he business run smooth

great and unique office culture

Current Contractor - Real Estate Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Contractor - Real Estate Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Starbucks as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

coffee geeks. good people. cool working space. food trucks outside the office. the commute in is a cinch.

Cons

pay is not up to market standard

cut the bureaucratic red tape