Starbucks Reviews

4,821 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,265 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 437 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 124 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 135 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Newton, MA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, free drinks and food

Cons

I don't think there's any

Awesome

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance and benifits

Cons

I don't have any for now

A company that knows how to treat their employees right

Current Employee - Barista in Victorville, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in Victorville, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Heath and retirement benefits plus vacation time for part time employees, environment is fairly laid back and the work load is pretty easy.

Cons

Due to how busy it can be, work can be stressful at times but that's more because of the customers honestly. More people could always be used on the floor. Recently, there has been a push toward speed and profits than the customer connection that Starbucks was built upon. Hours can be tight at times, but if you work hard and are a good worker, it's not hard to get 30+ hours.

Sometimes workers can feel like they're not being cared about even when I know that's not the case. Sometimes it can feel like management is breathing down your neck, and as such it can be hard to relax.

Great place to work

I have been working at Starbucks full-time

Pros

Friendly coworkers, great training, great customers

Cons

slow advancement, had to clean bathrooms

Great place to work if you're in a good store.

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

I like the perks--free drinks, weekly bean or tea markout, health coverage for part timers, EAP for all partners.

Cons

Advancing beyond shift supervisor is tough. Development takes forever and interviews are put off and put off until good, qualified people who would make great manages find better opportunities. Then, when an area is in need of management candidates they rush to fill the positions with outside hires who have no business managing a Starbucks.

Look to your current partners when in need of management. They know what they're in for. They know the company. They know how things work. And despite of knowing how rough things can be, they're loyal and devoted to Starbucks. We've been pouring our hearts into it for years and don't deserve to be passed over for external hires.

My experience with Starbucks was an overall good experience

Former Employee - Starbucks Barista Inside Target
    Former Employee - Starbucks Barista Inside Target

I worked at Starbucks (more than an year)

Pros

Theres a great chance of growth within the company.

Cons

Bad hours, no work life balance however it is the industry that we're in

Benefitss

Current Employee - Barista in San Juan, PR
    Current Employee - Barista in San Juan, PR

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits great salary community

Cons

None good company to work

Great College job but very hard work

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Murrieta, CA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Murrieta, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are good with a 401k, medical, stock plans, and college reimbursement makes this a wonderful starting job. And the store I work at we are all practically a family.

Cons

Very hard work which can be stressful at times. When your working a drive thru store at night your expected to fend for yourself as far as getting tasks done and making your own drinks. And the pay isn't that great.

Have more people working nights so we can get tasks done in the time you ask.

Great company, happiness depends management.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are amazing, they hire great people. They seem to genuinely care about their employees, even upper management ( corporate)

Cons

Hours can be long. You may have very early or late night shifts.

Please hire personable district managers and store mangers. Many times I have been treated poorly, mostly by district managers. I have worked at 7 stores in five cities and two states, and only had one District manager worth anything. They need to stop outside hiring those roles.