Starbucks

4,979 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,376 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 442 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 221 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 128 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 135 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

A clean enjoyable place to work especially as a student.

Former Employee - Barista in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Barista in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The CEO Howard Shultz is a very open minded guy and is very much in the game of making sure his employees are happy. He's made it so you receive great benefits such as free health care, free dental insurance etc. including a "bean stock" program where you'll have the opportunity to invest in company stock and receive money back over time. Making coffee is a nice job as you'll be allowed to drink a maximum of three free drinks while working (really as many as you would like), get a 30% discount when not working and can take home one free pound of coffee or one box of tea or instant coffee every week as your "mark out". You'll make friends with some of the regulars and they may throw some opportunities your way. If working the early morning shifts (4:00am - 8:00am you can get off work early enough to still enjoy the rest of your day with friends, family etc.) Overall you'll make friends with those you work with and if you have been given the opportunity to work under a relaxed chill manager, you will most likely enjoy your job. By the way, after learning how to make only the best lattes and cappuccinos etc. it will be a lifelong skill you'll have and you'll be able to make them on your own machine at home for you, your friends and your loved ones. This job is what you make it as is most anything in life so enjoy the little things.

Cons

On Sunday mornings after church the customers can truly be some of the rudest ridiculous people but you just have to smile and get through it. You may become addicted to coffee and eventually it will have no effect on you. Some managers can really be anal angry people who will make or break your entire experience there. (If possible try and somehow figure out if the manager is cool).

Make sure to just let your employees do their job and don't hover over and inspect everything they do. Howard Shultz - you're doing great.

Assistant Store Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Starbucks full-time

Pros

Very supportive, a fun environment and great benefits.

Cons

Can be high stress depending what area you are in.

Rely on the support around you.

It's the benefits and atmosphere that make or break.

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, immediately free coffee, meal while working, medical and dental after 90 days. Great brand

Cons

Low pay. I Thought baristas made more for the work! Very fast paced. It can be cliquish in a juvenile way.

My manager never closed in 2 months while working there. He was temperamental and notoriously rude.

Long time partner

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They take care of their partners by offering full benefits at low rate. Also they are flexible with hours.

Cons

I you do not have a sense of urgency or open yo change while being constitently happy this may not be the job for you.

Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I think my store manager makes the real difference in how great my experience has been in my nearly five years with the company. He has been a real mentor to me and an example of what type of manager I am in my full time role. Very hands on.

Cons

If you have time to lean, you have time to clean..... 75% of what a barista does is cleaning.

District managers would be more respected if the baristas could see them roll up their sleeves and put on the apron. Lead by example.

A Fantastic Company!

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am in love with my job at Starbucks. I have tried so many other jobs and none compare to this one!

Cons

There is nothing bad to say about this job! It gets crazy and stressful but it's so much fun!

Keep up the awesome work!

What's not to love?

Current Employee - Barista in Saint Charles, IL
    Current Employee - Barista in Saint Charles, IL

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They work with your schedule, excellent benefits, nice people, and opportunities to advance.

Cons

Cant think of anything honestly.

Keep up the great work!

Great Partner benefits in a fast-paced environment, must be a hard worker.

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free pound of coffee a week and free drinks on the job. Treat employees very well, but time off is difficult to coordinate and discouraged. Open availability is a must. Great job if you have great coworkers and boss like I did when I worked there for over three years at two locations. Offer a lot of recognition for if you are a doing a good job.

Cons

Don't like when you take time off because they are usually staffed just enough, so if you leave they have to cover a lot of hours.

Have district managers survey the employees to make sure that the store managers are actually being positive and heading the store in the right direction.

Good company but bad pay

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Very good benefits and great employees to work with. . They give good discounts on products and a lot of free coffee.

Cons

The pay that they offer is terrible. The really could afford to pay a little better. Also most. Customers are great but a few made me want to lose my mind.

Pay employees more.