Starbucks Reviews

3.8
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
4,186 Ratings

Pros
  • Excellent benefits even for part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • No existence of work life balance (in 131 reviews)

• District managers in the Dallas area are amazingly susceptible to engaging in this gossip - it would be comical if it weren't just sad (in 140 reviews)

6,621 Employee Reviews

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Advice to Management

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

The most fun ive ever had while getting paid!

Current Employee - Barista in Stafford, VA
    Current Employee - Barista in Stafford, VA

I have been working at Starbucks (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company really takes care of there employees.

Cons

Management can be kinda bad, depending on what district your in.

Great experience

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Orange, CA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Focus on customer service, great culture and work ethic, employees have ownership in the company itself, health benefits and other perks.

Cons

Late hours at our busy drive through store.

Advice to Management

Make sure your employees and happy and feel valued, which my manager did for me. I loved working for Starbucks.

5. Barista

Current Employee - Barista in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Barista in New York, NY

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They offer great benefits, 401K plans, healthcare and stocks to all partners. They are also veryw ell known for their sourcing ethics.

Cons

It's a very stressful work environment and you literally go home smelling like spoiled milk and coffee everyday. The hours are crazy and almost never consistent week to week.

Advice to Management

Pay better I suppose. It's hard to work under such stressful environments knowing when you get home you can only afford to literally pay for your metro card.

6. Starbucks Review

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Flexible schedule, always more hours available to pick up (up to 40, they don't want anyone going into over time pay), easy to take time off as long as you give a month or so of advanced notice

Cons

Long stretches of intensive work without any real down time, base pay should be a little higher considering how much is expected from you compared to other retail jobs.

Advice to Management

This may be advice more to higher level Starbucks management than the actual store management, but stop coming up with back marketing schemes and then forcing your Baristas to implement them (let us do our jobs).

7. it's an ok job

I have been working at Starbucks full-time

Pros

interesting customers. some of the employee benefits are nice. fun job.

Cons

management is sneaky. the benefits are more glamour and gloss than good.

Advice to Management

be honest to your employees.

8. Chesterfield Drive Thru

Former Employee - Barista in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Barista in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

fun people and fun customers, free point coffee weekly

Cons

pay isn't too good and was expected to do more work

Advice to Management

working at starbucks was most enjoyable when trying to create legendary service

9. Great Benefits but inconsistent schedules

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Health Benefits and Personal Benefits, Paid Vacation, Holiday Pay. Great opportunities for bonuses and ability to pick up shifts from different stores nearby.

Cons

Inconsistent scheduling, Inconsistent hours, Late hours and early mornings, always on your feet. Low starting wages. Possibility of working every weekend.

10. Barista

I worked at Starbucks full-time

Pros

Good benefits, always busy

Cons

have to be fast and efficient, tiring

Advice to Management

make better scheduling

11. Starbucks

Current Employee - Barista in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Starbucks (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company awesome benefits we get one sandwich pastry or lunch item once a day when we work

Cons

Starbucks is awesome but it depends what stores some can be a nightmare I've been in 2 stores where it's been awesome but 2 that have been terrible

Showing 6,621 of 6,658 reviews