Starbucks

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz

Howard D. Schultz

(2,553 ratings)

3,705 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Starbucks offers benefits to all part time employees and has a great 401K plan"
    in 322 reviews
  • "Great benefits that include health insurance after 3 months and a free pound of coffee each week"
    in 163 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/ Life balance is difficult to achieve beyond the Barista position"
    in 85 reviews
  • "Allow store managers a little more input on the operational piece on how to run the third place"
    in 99 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Career in Coffee

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWhen i first started I had no intention of making a career out of Starbucks. Now, I have no intention of having a career without Starbucks. For a large corporation, this company feels very small. Every decision made in store affects that store, partners, and customers. Along with the great benefits and the opportunity for growth, this company has it all. Along with the culture that promotes inclusivity and leading through the lens of humanity this company cares about people!

ConsI wish to work in other segments of the company, but to do so I would likely have to move to Seattle. That is the ONLY drawback for me, which is very personal and not reflective of the company.

Love the Company

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)
Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe benefits are fantastic, the culture is amazing. Working in a store can be great depending on the staff. I've had both great and horrible experiences working in a store.
The good managers are usually very supportive of you and your time with the company so long as you're a positive addition to the team.
There's a big feeling of your store being your team. Almost like a second family.
The DM, Manager, and company overall are usually very invested in their staff, especially ones that want upward momentum.

ConsWorking holidays, nights, weekends can get frustrating ( but seriously, that's what the job entails so it's not that bad).
I really don't have much else "bad" to say about the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile I loved working for the company for the 5 years i was there, I thought some hiring decisions were questionable. While it wasn't my place to make those kinds of decision, I saw managers and assistant managers that were simply incapable of doing the work, let alone doing the work well. In addition, I feel there needs to be more interaction between the DM's and staff. Otherwise, I loved the direction the company went in during my time there, even throughout hard times they were there for the staff countrywide (we still got out stocks, benefits, etc throughout the recession), and I always felt supported by everyone from the little fish to the Howard Schultz himself.

Incredible company!

Barista (Current Employee)
Golden, CO

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 10 years

ProsStarbucks is incredible at helping partners out with all of the benefits they provide. Stock, insurance, 401K, tuition reimbursement... all have helped me out immensely and is a big reason of why I have been with the company for so many years. Also, the flexibility in scheduling as well as the fact you can transfer to any store makes it easy to live life without the job being your whole life. Co-workers and bosses are usually SO amazing company wide! Fantastic people to work with.

ConsSome customers can be very rude and condescending, but that comes with many jobs. Working weekends sucks but at least every partner shares the burden.

Starbucks Saved My Life

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)
Missoula, MT

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

ProsI enjoy working for Starbucks for a variety of reasons.

Great benefits:
1) Health, Dental and Vision insurance 2) Tuition Reimbursement 3) 30% Discount on most everything, anytime 4) Free coffee on shift 5) Tips 6) More awesome stuff I can't think of

Challenging Environment/Opportunity:
If all Starbucks is to you is a job, well thats alright. You can show up, do what you're assigned to do and then leave when you shift end. If you want it to be more than that the opportunity is there. To move up within the company requires a high stress tolerance, strong communication and customer service skills. Not only do you grow as an employee by honing these skills but it has a spillover effect in to other aspects of your life.

ConsStressful:
Starbucks is a fast paced environment and things can get out of control quick. When one first moves in to a new role, whether it be a new partner coming on as a barista or an existing partner being promoted, it can be overwhelming and at times a little too much all at once. As you improve your skills and figure out a clear set of what your responsibilities are and how to do them things are generally much easier to handle, this takes some time.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am curious to see what would happen if Starbucks raised there wage standards across the board by 25%. I know we already are compensated very well when benefits are included but you can't argue with cash. Its not that I feel as though I am under compensated by any means, I am just curious as to how this would affect worker productivity, the talent attracted to Starbucks and the already outstanding reputation the company has. The world takes notice when Starbucks does something bold and different and this could have a domino effect where by other companies would follow suit and raise the living standard of us working on the front lines of the food service industry. Henry Ford doubled the daily going wage for his employees and it worked incredibly well for him. Lets give everyone another reason to love Starbucks and see what happens.

Great Experience while in College

Barista (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible work hours, early work hours, steady salary raises, good benefits, good mentorship

ConsTips depend on the store location and the holiday season and learning curve can be difficult at first

Overall great experience within a fast paced environment

Barista (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

ProsAlways busy which kept things moving and working quickly. Constantly learning new things such as how to make the new beverages that came out. Also it was wonderful creating great connections with customers especially the ones that came in regularly. Very satisfied with the job.

ConsManagement was slightly unorganized and there was no formal training on how to make the beverages. I worked part time and opened three days a week which made for very early mornings. Didn't see a lot of room for growth and promotions and salary was average.

It has been a great beginning job, but as you get older unless you plan to move up the company you'll need a big kid job

I have been working at Starbucks

ProsGreat benefits, great atmosphere, coworkers feel like family. Flexible hours and paid vacation.

ConsIt is far to easy to get comfortable, and as any customer service job sometimes the customer is wrong but you'll never get to tell them that.

Barista

Barista - Starbucks (Current Employee)
Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

ProsYour co-workers become your family away from home. You get full benefits with just working 20 hours/week, weekly tips help pay for gas/grocery expenses. Great atmosphere. Your superiors are very patient when you are just starting out. Scheduling yourself days off is an easy and flexible process.

ConsSurprisingly long-ish learning curve; I became confident in all aspects of the barista position in about 2-3 months. Tips are very low compared to smaller coffee shops because they are shared with all the other baristas/shift supervisors based on how many hours you work. You only know your work schedule one week in advance, and it's usually inconsistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from with the company. I've heard far too many horror stories about managers that were outside-hires who were terrible for their stores.

From RMT to Barista and back up

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Starbucks

ProsThe benefits were amazing, the training is truly an investment in the new partner, and the friends I made there are life-long.

ConsThe corporate-ness of it all - the cut-throat attitudes when people were trying to climb the ladder, and the hoops you had to jump through to actually make it to the next rung. When you've got +100,000 employees, though, perfection is difficult.

Store Manager

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 8 years

ProsStarbucks is a great company to work for. Love some of the perks such as free coffee, benefits, and working with great people.

ConsI feel that a company of this size should pay their partners more. While there are excellent benefits, for how hard everyone works, the pay should be higher. Also More time for Managers to be Managers off the floor instead of stressing about not getting things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher Pay

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Starbucks reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Starbucks CEO Howard D. Schultz. All 3,705 reviews posted anonymously by Starbucks employees.