Starbucks Reviews

3.8
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
4,530 Ratings

Pros
  • Excellent benefits even for part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • No existence of work life balance (in 131 reviews)

• District managers in the Dallas area are amazingly susceptible to engaging in this gossip - it would be comical if it weren't just sad (in 140 reviews)

7,331 Employee Reviews

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it. Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican. If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome. They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance. The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country. The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized. In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks. You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that. The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr. There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane. The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service. These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff. Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Advice to Management

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Starbucks (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stock options. Paid college tuition for those without a bachelor degree. Good work/life balance. They really do listen to your ideas/feedback,etc.

Cons

Better pay. The benefits are great, but $8.51 an hour is not enough for a barista to live on. I've lost some great peoe to better paying jobs. Customers can be difficult at times.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your partners. A clearer path to getting promoted. It's frustrating to see external hires when you have so many great partners that want to promote but are not given the guidance/classes to develop into those roles.

3. Great company to work for

Former Employee - Barista in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Barista in Akron, OH

Pros

Great place to work! Flexible hours, many shifts, great benefits. Fun work environment. Great place for someone to work in college, start a 401k and get experience.

Cons

Not much to say. The shift layout is a little redundant and it is a corporation but they treat their employees well.

Advice to Management

Nothing to say. Keep up the good work guys! Maybe I'd say bring in some new drinks? Thanks a lot.

5. Assistant Store Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fast paced work environment, work with wonderful people and build relationships with customers. The company is very focused on personal development and getting partners to reach their personal and professional goals.

Cons

This job is much harder than people often assume. You have to be able to work very quickly and with a smile. There is a lot of lifting and it is a very physically demanding job.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Taking care of your team and customers should be your number one priority. Great work!

6. Brista

Pros

Great work environment and awesome management

Cons

the customers can be really rude

7. Great Company, Experience Depends on Management

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Patchogue, NY
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Patchogue, NY

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent perks all-around. Employees working over 26 hours are eligible for affordable health benefits. Tuition reimbursement and other really cool programs if you're interested. Most employees are very passionate, cool people all-around in the company, and the tips really add to your pay regardless of whether you work at a fast or slow location. Free beverages while on shift, and flexible hours around student schedules.

Cons

I happened to have a crazy buffoon of a manager who made everything more difficult and frequently bent the rules, but this is a personal, and also unusual experience for this company. Starbucks hires top talent, usually. The hours are retail and of course can be long and grueling, work on your feet, etc. Pay isn't that fabulous. The uniform is a little restrictive.

Advice to Management

Keep improving and doing what you do. Pay supervisors a bit more, give incentive to stay.

Retail Store Manager

Former Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in UC Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in UC Berkeley, CA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefit package including bonus, 401k, partner discount, free 1lbs coffee beans a month, stocks, etc.

Cons

Company turnover & job security

9. Barista

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, consistent hours, ability to transfer to other stores across the US & other countries. You also make tips which are split between all partners. Excellent opportunities for advancement within the company.

Cons

Pay for a barista starts at 8.00 an hour in NC. Pay raises are only once a year and are prorated - and are usually about 10-20 cents. Shift Supervisors start at 9.75 an hour, which is low considering the large amount of work and responsibility a shift has.

Advice to Management

Offer more raise opportunities; Partners should receive free beverages from the store they work at whether on or off the clock. Hourly pay should depend on experience and a raise should be offered much more often than once a year.

10. I love working at Starbucks. I just wish I made enough to live on

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Taylorsville, UT
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Taylorsville, UT

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere, my coworkers, the benefits, and just over all being happy to be at work every day. It is also nice being able to work a wide variety of shifts.

Cons

The pay isn't very good. I've been with the company for over 3 years and I'm just barely making $10 an hour.

11. Amazing Company

Current Employee - Store Manager in Simi Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Simi Valley, CA

I have been working at Starbucks (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are so many benefits to take advantage of, and they offer competitive pay!

Cons

I can't find any cons.

Showing 7,331 of 7,373 reviews