Starbucks

5,601 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,702 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 131 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 140 reviews)

More Highlights

Great College Job

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Alhambra, CA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Alhambra, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at Starbucks provides flexible hours for the average college students. For the average coffee drinker, it also provides well enough coffee while employed at the company.

Cons

During the afternoons customers can tend to get very cranky and rude, strangely enough, it is the morning customers (usually regulars) that are the most uplifting spirits.

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

Awesome job for Students

Current Employee - Barista in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Since a lot of locations are open 20 hours or more per day, it is easy to work around your school schedule. My senior year of college, I had to work around class, volunteering, and research hours. I was still able to work as much as I wanted, which for me was about 30 hours per week.

Great place to learn to connect to and talk with all types of people.

Cons

Starbucks is the opposite of a passive desk job. If you aren't willing to keep moving and stay productive at all times, this is not the job for you.

great and unique office culture

Current Contractor - Real Estate Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Contractor - Real Estate Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Starbucks as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

coffee geeks. good people. cool working space. food trucks outside the office. the commute in is a cinch.

Cons

pay is not up to market standard

cut the bureaucratic red tape

I believe in this company's mission.

Current Employee - Barista in Rockville Centre, NY
    Current Employee - Barista in Rockville Centre, NY

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Delicious drinks are hand-made. The food is pretty decent. Many choices of coffee for all different and unique tastes. Most of the employees are hard-working and appreciate the company they work for so the environment is a lot better than most other settings.

Cons

Have to tend to the needs of all customers, even the few customers who can't ever be satisfied or happy.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Former barista, LOVED IT

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Great benefits, depending on manager very flexible hours, great freebies

Cons

It is HARD work, mean rich customers, cleaning bathrooms

Overall a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits.

Awesome customers.

Flexible hours.

Cons

Constant ridiculous promotion that I have to push even though 80% of my customers I see everyday dont care and wont buy it...but I'm supposed to ask them every since day...:would you like your treat receipt?" "would you like any breakfast with that?" Even though I've known and seen them pretty much every day for 3 years and know that they don't want a treat receipt or breakfast.

Insurance is amazing but after paying for said insurance my checks are always less than $150 (insurance for 3 people). It works just fine for me but I can't see anyone who has to live on their own and support themselves to be able to live on such a low wage.

"Veteran' Baristas and supervisors should make more money hourly, people tend to be happier and more friendly to customers when they know they have food in their fridge or even that they feel appreciated by the company that they work for.

Great management techniques, they treat you like an equal.

Former Employee - Barista in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Barista in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Getting to know many customers who are now friends. Free coffee, benefits, and stock.

Cons

Repetitive, very fast work pace. Difficult customers when you had to just say yes.

When you remodel stores, ask actual employees for ideas on layouts and placement of things.

Starbucks is fun!

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Great company to work for! Very enjoyable coworkers and customers are always very friendly! I would definitely recommend working for Starbucks for any type of position!

Cons

I cannot really think of many cons beyond standard negatives of any customer service or restaurant type jobs. Sometimes things can get slow and boring, but it is a really fun job.

Great company culture and perks

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company culture and benefits are outstanding. There are so many passionate people who are committee to the company and the customer experience

Cons

The collaboration required to push anything forward can be frustrating and discourages quick action and innovation. Those closest to retail are more able to act quickly.

Encourage innovation and fresh thinking and ideas.