Starbucks Reviews

4,637 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,149 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 421 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 122 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 129 reviews)

More Highlights

Good experience

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits for part-time and full-time employees. Decent tips divided up on a weekly basis. Good chance to develop people skills, and create lasting relationships.

Cons

Benefits only after 6 months- min. 20 hours per week. Dealing with angry/rude customers, but that happens anywhere you work, right? Also, a good amount of physical labor which I feel should be compensated for with a slightly higher pay rate.

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

A Company that Cares

Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company has a multitude of benefits, that if utilized can save someone a ton of money. The stock matching and auto vesting is incredible. The stock benefits and vesting schedule are wonderful. The insurance is good and relatively inexpensive for the quality of coverage. College tuition remission is outstanding. Opportunity for growth is unparalleled.

Cons

The pay could be a bit more and problems only exist with individuals not the company. If all policies and human resources practices were followed on all levels the company would be hands down the greatest company in the world to work for, however, it is very difficult to weed out ALL the bad apples.

Continue the great care and concern for all your partners.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Starbucks provides many opportunities for growth and devlopment

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I enjoy the many opportunities for growth and development. I enjoy that it doesn't matter what your level is in the organization, you can still create change and have your ideas supported. The benefits are great.

Cons

I with there was paid paternity leave.

Meh..

I have been working at Starbucks for more than 3 years

Pros

-Networking with customers
    -Great starting job, with a decent pay (increases by 6 month review)
    -Free Coffee
    -Flexible scheduling

Cons

-customers and fulfilling some of the strangest, most bazaar orders.
    -management can decide how joyful or how miserable your experiences are going to be.
    -corporate does not keep baristas informed of changes to Starbucks App, food items, or beverage changes.
    -auto shipments can be disastrous if left ignored.

Your stores would do better if you increased labor, let's not worry about that Christmas bonus :).

Barista

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  Marquette, MI
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Marquette, MI

I worked at Starbucks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Personal growth, fast-paced, surrounded by coffee.

Cons

Scheduling (they don't really work with you), and some of the most impatient customers I've ever encountered.

Barista's may be at the bottom of the Starbucks food chain, but we're hard-working and we do get offended if you treat us like incompetent children.

The company loves their employees and really shows that through their benefits packages.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

Pros

They were always really flexible with availability, making it perfect for college students. They match your 401K contributions, making it grow really fast, and you only have to average out to 20 hours a week to qualify for their health/dental/optic/life insurance plans. Now with the addition of paying for your online degree at ASU, their benefits package really cannot be beat. On top of that, you grow very close with the people you work with, it's how I met my best friends. Plus...it's really fun to make up your own drinks. If you work really hard and be patient there's opportunities for advancement.

Cons

There are some members on the management team at the store level who have been with the company for over 15 years, and they get away with anything they want. There are some fantastic store managers out there, my second manager was by far the best manager I have ever had, and the third and last manager was by far the worst. There's a lack of consistency from store to store.

Allow more ops time for training purposes, and really take the time to weed out the managers who aren't helping to better your company. This mostly happens at the store management level.

It's worth it for the benefits, if the benefits match your lifestyle.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've had a few corporate jobs in the past, and Starbucks offers the best and most comprehensive benefits of any of my employers. If you're looking for those kinds of discounts and coverage, it's great. They recently released a memo detailing how they plan to expand their "partner experience" during 2015. It's also not rocket science: everything becomes cerebral quickly enough, and most activities have a clear standard approach that generally is aimed at accomplishing tasks as quickly as possible — sometimes, that is before accuracy.

Cons

As someone single, I find the actual monetary income at Starbucks to be a lot less cushy than the extraneous benefits. While I have health insurance, free coffee, stocks, and such, I still have to get by on what feels like a less-than-competitive hourly wage, especially considering the cost of rent in the city. The company (at least my district) does not offer remuneration for parking or transportation fare, so working inside a downtown core is not sustainable for people who drive, but also necessitates living closer to the store in a more expensive neighborhood.

There should be store-specific incomes. A barista in a suburb should not make the same as a barista downtown. There should be an incentive to work at higher-volume locations, and the partners there should be the best-of-the-best grade employees, but there is no such prestige or incentive program in place, so experiences in Starbucks retail vary greatly between locations.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Austin, TX

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to work i you like working with coffee
    Great place to make new friends

Cons

Low pay for what you have to do and put up with

Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Pros

All of the different customers that come in

Cons

All of the crazy customers that come in

Work-life balance

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!