Starbucks

5,310 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,558 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 131 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 140 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

Great environment, great benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ocean City, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ocean City, MD

I have been working at Starbucks part-time

Pros

The benefits available through Starbucks, even for part-time employees are great. Lots of options to move up within the company as well as transferring between stores when needed.

Cons

Customers can be a challenge, because of the sense of entitlement the Starbucks brand gives people. There is also a lot of management to answer to (regional manager, district manager, store manager) who may implement changes without prior discussion with anyone.

Mandatory supervisor meetings a minimum of quarterly would be helpful. Making sure that shifts get all new information first-hand, to pass to baristas, would be much more useful than everyone hearing from so-and-so what it happening.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Health insurance for only working 20 hrs/week

Cons

Super early shifts. You do more cleaning than making coffee.

Open a tad bit later.. Not at 3am

Great benefits for PT

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

For only 20 hours a week, a partner can accrue vacation time, have access to full medical/dental/vision benefits, plus a free pound of coffee each week, to name a few.

Cons

Depending on Store Manager, communication and accountability can be lacking. Even so, look to your peers and all will work out.

Communicate. Respect your baristas and supervisors that are the face of Starbucks.

Big company, but feels like a big family

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

The people are the best part of Starbucks. The culture is alive and well, but takes nurturing from everyone who walks the halls. Networking is crucial, maintaining connections can make all the difference when moving from job to job. Work life balance is wonderful!

Cons

Parking! It takes 2-3 years to get into the garage.

When employees ask for more challenging work, or demonstrate that they are capable of it, don't dismiss them. Your people are the lifeblood of your company, and in my years there saw too many people leave out of frustration and lack of career development. Growth of the business cannot come at the expense of the growth of your partners.

It's a great company that cares about it's employees.

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Stuart, FL
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Stuart, FL

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great insurance for both full-time and part-time employees. Decent wages plus tips. Raises every year. Bonuses available.

Cons

Intense fast pased work. Occasionally highly stressful. Depending on your lifestyle it may be difficult to live off of the money.

Great first job

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible, lots of benefits, good people to work with.

Cons

Depends on management at any store you go to.

Keep continuing to grow as a company.

Great company

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of benefits, great mission, awesome values, great partner experience

Cons

our area is very "clicky" and everyone keeps to themselves and not work as a team

I LOVED being a Barista! The "regulars" that came in were so awesome. Great people in front and behind the bar.

Former Employee - Barista in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Barista in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The daily jokes and conversations that were had with customers as well as my co-workers are ones I'll never forget! I agree with many values that Starbucks holds; marriage equality, it's stance on open-carry and health care. I love how laid-back this company is and how serious they are with pleasing their customers. I liked that I could recommend different drinks to all kinds of people with different tastes. For instance, I can't stand the taste of coffee (I know, the irony), and when a new customer would walk in with the same disdain for coffee and wonder why the hell they'd wandered into a coffee shop, I could instantly make them feel at home by recommending a plethora of my favourite (coffee-free) drinks to try. If the café wasn't too busy, I could make several drinks and have them pick the one they liked best! It was awesome! Even if customers were unhappy with their drinks, we wouldn't let them leave until they were completely satisfied with their beverage! The benefits were FANTASTICAL. You have to maintain 20 hours a week to keep your benefits. And they only took out about $32.00 per paycheck (getting paid every two-weeks). I had dental work done that cost about $3,000 (I know, I didn't have healthcare since I graduated college in 2010-- don't judge!) and I only had to pay $600 (Thank GOD) thanks to the benefits I had with Starbucks.

Cons

I HATED getting "baby shifts." I'd look on the schedule and I'd been put down for an 8-11am or 5-9am shift. It sucked, and I always felt that it was pointless for me to come in and have to work a baby shift. Not worth the gas to get there. Especially being paid hourly. It was awful when the manager forgot to order product (we ran out of white mocha soooo many times) and customers would freak out on us because (it seemed) they were addicted. Unless one wanted to become a manager at Starbucks, it's hard to make a living on the limited amount of hours you can get, so the pay wasn't that great. You'd make tips, but for our store, it'd only be about a dollar more an hour. Some days it was 65 cents. So minimum wage plus tips was awful trying to pay rent.

I never really had a problem with management. I just wished I could've gotten more hours. Or at LEAST overtime pay.

Very Supportive Company

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible Hours
    Good Culture
    Outstanding Values
    Interesting Coworkers
    Good Benefits

Cons

Smell Like Coffee
    Deal with mean customers