Starbucks Reviews

3.8
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
4,346 Ratings

Pros
  • Excellent benefits even for part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • No existence of work life balance (in 131 reviews)

• District managers in the Dallas area are amazingly susceptible to engaging in this gossip - it would be comical if it weren't just sad (in 140 reviews)

6,985 Employee Reviews

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it. Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican. If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome. They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance. The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country. The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized. In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks. You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that. The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr. There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane. The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service. These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff. Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Advice to Management

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

2. barista

Current Employee - Supervisor in Barnegat, NJ
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Barnegat, NJ

I have been working at Starbucks (Less than a year)

Pros

great work environment to work in.

Cons

everything was excellent, no complaints

Advice to Management

none needed they are great

3. Great Job

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cheap, great heath care. Free stock options, and compensated drinks while on the clock

Cons

Fast paced environment can be stressful to some, Can have bad coworkers, but that comes with most jobs.

5. Great Company

I have been working at Starbucks part-time

Pros

Great coworkers Coffee is truly an art to make Beautiful benefits Most customers are friendly Free coffee is a major benefit

Cons

Too fast paced to provide level of quality expected Some managers should not be in the position they are in

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing but be a little more stringent with the hiring process, mostly all good though

6. Starbucks Carreer

I worked at Starbucks full-time

Pros

Good Pay. They treat their employees equally. Fun environment. can move up within the company.

Cons

May be a lot of work. Hard to get a day off besides your regular two days.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee. engage with them. make them feel like they are part of a team rather than a pawn can be booted out. hard works oversees a lot.

7. Great Company

Former Employee - Barista in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Barista in Greenville, SC

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Excellent co-workers and hours. You get paid tips in addition to base pay. You won't be rich, but can finish college.

Cons

busy busy busy always busy. A lot to clean and prep for everyday. very early mornings and late nights. Not enough hours to go around .

8. Barista

I have been working at Starbucks part-time

Pros

They were very quick about the whole process. I called in after submitting my application online and we scheduled an interview. I had two interviews to make sure i was a fit and was offered the job right on spot as long as my background check was all good.

Cons

They dont tell you how much cleaning you really have to do with the company. Also, for the ladies, no nail polish which sucked.

Advice to Management

I really didnt have any advice. Really amazing company to work for!

9. A lot depends on your location - Barista

Current Employee - Barista in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Barista in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Coworkers are some of the best -Job can be fun -Benefits for PT/FT -You can go home at the end of the day -Tips (kind of) -1 free food item per shift, free drinks per shift -30% discount on food/drink outside of shifts -30% discount on retail items -1 weekly mark-out per week (whole bean coffee/vias/tea etc)

Cons

Let me start at the most obvious - pay. Depending on your location the pay can be awful, I'm in PA and make $8.40/hr which is wholly disproportionate to the work required especially since I am in a very busy location - the busiest in the region. Almost everyone I work with has a second job because you cannot be an adult these days making $8.40/hr even if it is plus tips. Tips fluctuate and are not guaranteed, some stores only make .30 extra an hour other places can make up to $2 (if the hiring manager boasts $4 extra an hour in tips, they're lying, that's a myth.) I don't know why Starbucks isn't on more of these activists radar when it comes to paying a living wage, they need to be. Starbucks likes to distract people by offering up discounts, benefits, college to employees but it's so you don't realize how low the pay is for the job that's asked of us. Secondly, the work involved. This isn't just making coffee, ringing people out and making some food. Oh no. If you're going to a store with a Drive-Thru the workload instantly triples. Drive-Thru is the worst part of Starbucks and it's not going away. If you don't know about DT here's a taste: 1 person is responsible for taking the orders when someone pulls up, entering the orders on the screen, greeting people at the window, taking their money and handing out drinks, if you're lucky you have someone called Order Support that will retrieve and heat your food for you and every transaction needs to under FIFTY SECONDS. Not only that, you are supposed to connect with every customer as well. You do all of those things all at the same time. It's pretty ridiculous and Starbucks is setting itself and us up for failure. You also have cleaning tasks that are outside regular cleaning but you are expected to get the task done while you're doing your everyday job which is impossible - cleaning tasks include: cleaning fridges, drains, gaskets, sinks, garbage cans, etc and you can typically get 1 per day or 1 or 2 every few days, more if it's slow. If you're a closer you get a heavy workload with less people. Heavy workload means cleaning everything on top of setting up the morning openers. Closers start tasks early in the evening because Starbucks expects employees to open/close the entire store within 30 minutes. Openers can't start early due to rules so typically we're still doing opening tasks after we're already open and waiting on people. Be aware that a lot of your satisfaction / happiness is going to depend on other people. If you get a great Store Manager, Shift Managers and Partners then that will make the job worth it. People aren't lying when they say they make friends for life, there are great people out there. But on the flip side, if you get a terrible SM, SS and catty, lazy Partners then the job will be infinitely less enjoyable and probably not worth it. Starbucks is pretty terrible about communicating to everyone including promotions and they also are total pushovers when it comes to customers calling corporate on a store. They also push a "Just Say Yes" mantra which can easily be taken advantage of by scummy customers. No merit-based pay raises, everyone gets the same raise in January. No negotiating pay. At all. I don't feel there are a lot of career opportunities outside of retail, Starbucks likes to hire outsiders for Corp, SM and DM positions but I suppose this can vary by location. Starbucks is not eco-friendly. In fact, my store doesn't even recycle, the only "friendly" thing we do is donate old pastries to a charity (Partners aren't allowed to have old pastries FYI!) My city doesn't enforce recycling so they don't do it. Shame.

Advice to Management

Pay, pay, pay, pay. The workload is too much for the hourly pay and no, tips do not make up for it. You can't expect your customers to fill in the pay gap that you leave. Reexamine Playbook, keep some things but toss most of it. It's ok to admit you were wrong. Your employees are the lifeblood of your company and you need to listen to them. Drive-Thru needs totally revamped because it's a terrible set-up. If you want to be the Coffee McDonald's then you need to set up the DT like McDonald's. 1 person cannot adequately run DT, especially for busy locations. Manage your own expectations. Want fast DT times? Then you have to sacrifice customer connection because you can't have both. One or the other, those are the options. You expect too much from closers, the workload is too much for the 3 people left to close. There is so much to do, has anyone in Corp ever closed a retail location? Lastly, if you question anything I have written here please feel free and go to one of your busiest locations, put on an apron and tell me I'm wrong. We're not slackers with our hands out, we work really hard and we deserve to be fairly compensated for that.

10. They'll work for you if you work for them.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, free coffee and other drinks, free employee meals, fast-paced environment, good and reasonably priced healthcare, lots of room for growth.

Cons

Dollar signs mean more than customer experience, stressful, high employee turnover rate, high expectations with not so great hourly wage.

Advice to Management

Remember that baristas are people serving customers who are also people (not just dollar signs walking in and out of the store)

11. Good place to work, but be ready to work HARD

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good management, good hours, awesome benefits. Flexible work schedule. Management cares about professionally developing you IF you want to be in the company.

Cons

Physically demanding, low pay. The work can be tedious at times but it's food service and it comes with the territory.

Showing 6,985 of 7,022 reviews