Starbucks

5,573 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,691 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 131 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 140 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

Overall a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits.

Awesome customers.

Flexible hours.

Cons

Constant ridiculous promotion that I have to push even though 80% of my customers I see everyday dont care and wont buy it...but I'm supposed to ask them every since day...:would you like your treat receipt?" "would you like any breakfast with that?" Even though I've known and seen them pretty much every day for 3 years and know that they don't want a treat receipt or breakfast.

Insurance is amazing but after paying for said insurance my checks are always less than $150 (insurance for 3 people). It works just fine for me but I can't see anyone who has to live on their own and support themselves to be able to live on such a low wage.

"Veteran' Baristas and supervisors should make more money hourly, people tend to be happier and more friendly to customers when they know they have food in their fridge or even that they feel appreciated by the company that they work for.

Wonderful! I absolutely love working for Starbucks. I've been lucky enough to finish college and get health insurance!

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Flexible schedule, great people, fast paced, different day to day, college reimbursement/college plan, health insurance at 20 hours a week, ability to move up in the company or stay in your position

Cons

Early or late hours that you eventually adjust to

Awesome job for Students

Current Employee - Barista in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Since a lot of locations are open 20 hours or more per day, it is easy to work around your school schedule. My senior year of college, I had to work around class, volunteering, and research hours. I was still able to work as much as I wanted, which for me was about 30 hours per week.

Great place to learn to connect to and talk with all types of people.

Cons

Starbucks is the opposite of a passive desk job. If you aren't willing to keep moving and stay productive at all times, this is not the job for you.

Awesome company to work for

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Lots of fun, great environment

Cons

Low pay, slow crawl to a livable wage

I really enjoyed the atmosphere, perfect for getting me through college, management was very poor.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Livermore, CA

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Flexible scheduling fit in with my school schedule, great atmosphere and opportunity to build relationships, free coffee, always a location close to you to minimize your commute

Cons

Poor management, very little growth potential and hard to gain promotions, pay was low and there was hardly any raises, hard to take time off, few people took their positions seriously,

I would suggest that they understand that most employees are young and do not consider this position a permanent career, therefore should offer more perks in order to keep employees interested in working there and devoted to the company.

Solid College Job

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Starbucks part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work with cool people (usually)
    Fast-Paced, time flies because so are you.
    Helps sharpen communication skills
    Solid benefits

Cons

My location was understaffed, so I was baptized by fire. Dealing with people always has it's peaks and valleys, but as long as you can maintain a cool head you'll be fine.

Don't place employees––with zero prior experience–– in a location that is understaffed and about to hit the peak season.

Loved the people and the mission of the company.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Recognition, benefits (30% off, medical for part time employees, tuition reimbursement), people, customers,

Cons

Constantly changing, sometimes it's more about kissing someone's butt than about your actually results

It was highly pleasurable, good atmosphere.

Current Employee - Barista in North Bend, WA
    Current Employee - Barista in North Bend, WA

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Great benefits, good hours and the managers were usually flexible.

Cons

A little unstructured at times.

Create better work environment.

Overall not bad, good benefits, alright pay, easy job.

Current Employee - Shift Manager in North Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in North Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, its an easy job that is not hard to learn. The health coverage is awesome and you only have to work 20 hours a week to qualify. Free coffee.

Cons

Customers can make it tough, training can be hard. In my area the pay is a little low, pretty close to minimum wage.

Make training more clear cut. I got thrown on to the floor right away, and it was stressful, now that I know what I am doing it is super annoying to have to teach a new person when they should have been trained by the SM or Shift.