Starbucks Reviews

3.8
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
4,226 Ratings

Pros
  • Excellent benefits even for part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • No existence of work life balance (in 131 reviews)

• District managers in the Dallas area are amazingly susceptible to engaging in this gossip - it would be comical if it weren't just sad (in 140 reviews)

6,681 Employee Reviews

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Advice to Management

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

The most fun ive ever had while getting paid!

Current Employee - Barista in Stafford, VA
    Current Employee - Barista in Stafford, VA

I have been working at Starbucks (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company really takes care of there employees.

Cons

Management can be kinda bad, depending on what district your in.

3. Starbucks Review

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

The best company to work for hands down! I started in high school, thinking I would do this job for a few years and then find something else, but the free coffee, free drinks, incredible company values have led me to explore a career here.

Cons

The schedule is daunting at times. I will get 4 hours some days and 10 hours other days. I am always at 38 or higher for the week but getting there can be draining.

5. Barista

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

it was ok, coworkers were friendly

Cons

Depends on the manager and their persnalities.

Advice to Management

Pick good managers

6. Former Store Manager

Former Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of company benefits. Actually keeps the work/life balance in mind. Doesn't require you to work an insane 50-60 hour work week while getting paid a 40 hour a week salary.

Cons

Not great work hours, inconsistent work days, working weekends, holidays, a little too concerned about stepping on toes rather than getting jobs done.

Advice to Management

It's still a business. Things still need to get done. Not everyone can have their hand held for years and years.

7. Great job with lots of options

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

.Excellent pay and benefits
    .generous stocks granted to you every year
    .great people and great customers

Cons

.vacation benefits could be better
    .schedules always changing week to week so it's hard to plan things ahead, especially with children.
    .repetitive motions can be hard on your joints

8. Starbucks

Current Employee - Barista in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Barista in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Starbucks (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits for part time

Cons

Stressful work environment - frequently understaffed

Advice to Management

Allow those with previous bachelors to use college achievement program - there are employees who want a change in career but can't afford it

9. Great Place but Pushed Hard

I have been working at Starbucks full-time

Pros

-Great benefits
    -Amazing people
    -Progressive company and policies are miles ahead of many other corporations.

Cons

-Starbucks leans hard on its partners.
    -Often asked to make a lot of magic happen with little flexibility in labor. There are many times when the current number of employees in the store isn't sufficient to run the business well, but due to labor caps you can't bring in more people to help.
    -So far my hours have been chaotic. A shift such as 10am-6pm effectively guts your entire day. Weekends aren't safe so be prepared to work any day of the week. It can often be a balancing act to work around (most college students) schedules to fill labor consistently.
    -Most baristas are young. Be prepared for lots of petty drama and gossip and the occasional kid that needs to be kept on track constantly when they are bored.

Advice to Management

-Treat your partners well.
    -Many baristas will want to see that you can do their job as well as yours. Don't be afraid to step in and help make drinks to show you are a part of the crew.
    -Manage labor carefully as it seems to be the number one balancing act in most stores in order to not become understaffed at any given point.

10. I love it

I have been working at Starbucks part-time

Pros

Fun place for work, best drinks and good quality food .

Cons

Sometimes very busy and no time for finish connection with customer

11. Great Place

Current Employee - Barista in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Barista in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

The Pay and Employee discount

Cons

It is non stop rush and some customers can be very rude

Advice to Management

its better to over staff that understaff

Showing 6,681 of 6,718 reviews