Starbucks Reviews

4,555 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,095 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 401 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field (in 109 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners (in 114 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

I loved my job.

Former Employee - Barista  in  Wausau, WI
    Former Employee - Barista in Wausau, WI

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, great company. They really cared about and took care of their employees. My manager was very flexible with getting me time off when I needed it and scheduling my shifts around my classes. I loved going to work everyday, and I loved my customers.

Cons

Starting pay was minimum wage.

It is a roller coaster of change, hard work, and fun.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Metairie, LA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Metairie, LA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've worked at 4 stores in 2 states and I can say that I always enjoy the people I work with. The environment can be very fun and creative and uplifting as well as draining. The products Starbucks offers are great. Howard Schultz really tries to send a message of nurturing and attention to detail with every new product. The customers can also be so wonderful. I have made so many friends from my job. It feels good to be the first face someone sees in the morning on their way to work, and Starbucks nurtures that connection. Policies change often, which is a sign of a desire to constantly improve. Starbucks is always trying to become better and more ethical.

Cons

It is a very physically demanding job. From lifting heavy trash bags full of coffee grounds, to putting up deliveries, constant never-ending cleaning tasks that have to be redone a million times a day all day long, getting underneath cabinets in weird positions to detail clean behind fridges and other things, cleaning spider webs off of the awnings and all other kinds of tasks. Though customers can be wonderful, I have witnessed several occasions where employees were being continually harassed and verbally abused by customers, and management tends to want to give them a free drink and send them on their way. I understand not wanting to loose business, but there needs to be a moral balance. Nobody should be forced to come to work everyday and be yelled at and treated with such disrespect and hatred. My only other real complaint is that moving up from a Shift Supervisor position seems almost impossible. I believe this is because of the district I am in. Our District Manager hires about 90-95 % of higher management from outside of Starbucks when the standard is supposed to be about 70% promoted from within. It's very discouraging when you work as hard as you can and get nowhere.

There should be more willingness to defend partners from abusive customers. Higher management also needs to remember what it is like to do the job of a barista and give more recognition to them. The dress code should be more relaxed and comfortable, especially regarding covering up tattoos. It's a coffee shop, not the white house. Policies should be the same everywhere, not up to the Store Manager to change whenever he/she sees fit or finds it personally beneficial.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great job high school and/or college job

Former Employee - Starbucks-Barista  in  Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Starbucks-Barista in Reston, VA

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked for Starbucks as a Barista through school and loved it. Friendly coworkers, you learn a lot about the customer experience, lessons that have stuck with me as I moved forward in my career. They company was always evolving, increasing quality standards, efficiency and product but they always stayed true to their mission. Great culture. Made me love coffee and tea. I was actually a Starbucks hater before I worked there but they paid more than my other job so I took it. After 4+ years of working there I came out a Starbucks fan.

Cons

If you work at a busy store it can be a high pressure job, if you don't enjoy that then make sure you pick a slower store. I also had a few slightly inept managers in my time so pay attention to who your store manager is going to be.

Stay true to the mission! Watch out for poor store managers. Keep an eye on talent that can be developed from within the company.

A Great People-Focused Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Innovative and socially conscious
    Actively solicits feedback from partners and customers
    Lots of great benefits that promote work/life balance
    Room for growth within the stores
    Busy, fun work environment

Cons

Lots of change, often a lot of change within a short period of time, and some decisions seemed contradictory
    Challenging work schedule in the stores
    Can be difficult to transition from a store to a corporate job

Consider how much more labor is allowed when new products or processes are added

A Company that Cares

Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company has a multitude of benefits, that if utilized can save someone a ton of money. The stock matching and auto vesting is incredible. The stock benefits and vesting schedule are wonderful. The insurance is good and relatively inexpensive for the quality of coverage. College tuition remission is outstanding. Opportunity for growth is unparalleled.

Cons

The pay could be a bit more and problems only exist with individuals not the company. If all policies and human resources practices were followed on all levels the company would be hands down the greatest company in the world to work for, however, it is very difficult to weed out ALL the bad apples.

Continue the great care and concern for all your partners.

Still love this company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Starbucks part-time

Pros

They really train you on their beliefs as a company. The work environment is very positive and everyone does their part. I still frequent my old store location and everyone knows me by name

Cons

I have no cons about this job

Keep doing what you're doing

Great company!

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits package, great work environment, fast-paced job. Management is open to having conversations around what can be done to better the company for Partners and Customers. Very dynamic and socially responsible company!

Cons

Pay is a little on the low side. Lots of changes in short periods of time. Hard to move up the corporate ladder.

Keep up the great work! Continue to be open to suggestions from Partners in the store environment, maybe consult store teams prior to remodels or new store plans for functionality of store set-up in order to maximize efficiency for our teams and customers.

I kept coming back

Current Employee - Barista  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Barista in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Even if you aren't in it for the benefits, it's such a fun job. I get paid to make coffee and talk to people. Benefits are numerous from medical and dental to free coffee and tea! They have varied hours so they can work with your availability.

Cons

It can get monotonous. It can also be a bad situation if higher management is not that great.

Open a corporate office in Phoenix so I can apply there.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

FREE COFFEE!...hehe. Also, top-of-the-line benefits: matching 401k, cheap, but also amazing insurances, free stock, free tuition at ASU, also great experience.

Cons

RUDEST CUSTOMERS YOU WILL EVER HAVE!

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!