Starbucks Reviews

3.8
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
4,580 Ratings

Pros
  • Excellent benefits even for part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • No existence of work life balance (in 131 reviews)

• District managers in the Dallas area are amazingly susceptible to engaging in this gossip - it would be comical if it weren't just sad (in 140 reviews)

7,388 Employee Reviews

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it. Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican. If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome. They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance. The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country. The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized. In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks. You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that. The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr. There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane. The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service. These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff. Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Advice to Management

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

2. Starbucks

Pros

Amazing atmosphere and I loved getting to know the customers and product. You're bound to have great pay and tips because of the brand.

Cons

Not a lot of training involved especially for such a fast paced environment. I worked at a Starbucks with a drive-thru and it was always busy.

Advice to Management

Always look to advance forward and train properly. Never assume that someone fully understand the preparation or order of the store until they have been properly trained.

3. shift supervisor

Former Employee - Catamarans Resort and Hotel in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Catamarans Resort and Hotel in San Diego, CA

I worked at Starbucks (More than a year)

Pros

benefits, friendly atmosphere tips, partner mark- out

Cons

there are no bad things about Starbucks

Advice to Management

keep up the positive attitudes and good work

5. Barista

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling if you have school, an internship, your own business, or a second job on the side; excellent benefits; positive environment; free coffee and tea

Cons

Irregular hours and work on weekends and holidays

Advice to Management

Listen to ALL you employees- especially those on the bottom level. You would be able to make great improvements off of what they have to say

6. Interview!

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks

Pros

My interview went great! My manager is so laid back but I got a strong feeling that she likes to get things done! The store was very clean and all the employees were very kind! Within about about an hour of talking to the manager, I was hired, and had the best feeling that I would be able to thrive in a place like Starbucks!

Cons

Absolutely nothing! Once I start working full on, I'm sure there will be days were I call myself crazy for working there, but the Pros definitely outweigh the Cons!

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work! I love the benefits, and the way they treat their employees like partners, and not like workers.

7. Amazing Benefits

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

2o hours an week and you have full benefits Health & Dental College assistance Free Coffee Raises every 6 months

Cons

Nothing negative to say about this company

8. Cool place

Pros

met awesome people, learned a lot about coffee, learned leadership skills

Cons

ruined pants, privileged clientele, cleaning restrooms

Advice to Management

larger employee discounts

9. pretty good

Current Employee - Barista
    Current Employee - Barista

I have been working at Starbucks (More than 3 years)

Pros

you get free drinks and a free pound of coffee/tea every week

Cons

experience depends on your team fortunately i have a good team

Advice to Management

listen to your employees

10. Great Team Bad Customers

I have been working at Starbucks full-time

Pros

great benefits, flexible schedule, team environment. You also get free drinks and a free meal every time you work.

Cons

Most customers are rude, ignorant and treat you horribly and unfortunately the Starbucks way of dealing with this is to give them whatever they want if they make a fuss. So FYI customers Starbucks policy's mean nothing, you can get free food drinks and gift cards if you complain about anything; no mater how ridiculous the complaint is, it will always be the barista's fault as per Starbucks. Oh and if you contact the district manager they will send you a $25 gift cards. Thus, its super frustrating to work in an environment where a customer can insult you at the top of their lungs for the stupidest thing and they walk out with free drinks, food and a gift card for the future.

11. Best place to work for

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Pasco, WA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Pasco, WA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked with my schedule, always allowed me to provide the customer with the best experience, Like a close knit family (customers and co-workers), Always pushed to be better, amazing stock options, and amazing benefits

Cons

Its customer service, dealing with unreasonable customers (its a $5 drink, not a brand new car), working holidays, and working around women all day can be a bit dramatic (reminded me of having my sister cloned)

Advice to Management

Treat your employees good and it will show

Showing 7,388 of 7,432 reviews