Starbucks Reviews

5,802 Reviews
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,802 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 131 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 140 reviews)

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

2. Nice company, positive environment

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

1 lb coffee a week, free drinks during your shift

Cons

Early start if you have opening shift at 4:30 am

rewarding, supportive, great place to work at as a student or young adult

Current Employee - Barista
    Current Employee - Barista

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

supportive management, helpful coworkers, excellent benefits, good company culture/values

Cons

erratic scheduling, fast-paced and stressful environment

5. Great company

Current Employee - Barista in Merced, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in Merced, CA

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Great Benefits.great partners free drinks flexible schedule easy to learn great pay great opportunity for the partner to Excell .

Cons

The lack of hours was the biggest con you have to be available to cover shifts if you want to pick up extra hours so that kills ur social life

0if you ate only flung to give me 16 to 20 hours a week then give it to me in 3 or 4 days not 6 ... i cant get a second job because of that

Shift Supervisor

Former Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They had excellent benefits, the free coffee and discounts were GREAT! The ability to meet tons of people, I worked with a great team and was able to pick up additional shifts when I needed to.

Cons

The salary... unless you were a manager (~$40K+) the most you could get was between $7-$10/hr + tips. That's just how it goes... I needed a bit more $ for grad school so I had to move on.

na

Great company for college students

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in San Fernando, CA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in San Fernando, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This job got me through college, free coffee and very flexible hours. Their health insurance is great and you only have to work 20 hours a week. Once you get all the drink recipes job you can conquer any starbucks rush

Cons

Dealing with grouchy soccer moms Before coffee isn't always a picnic. The company expects a lot from you- greet each customer with a huge smile, perfectly make their drink, keep everything clean, make the customer feel like they're your number 1 priority and have them out the door in 3 minutes. It's just not always possible in a very busy store. Plus having to be at wok at 4 am is no picnic... Unless you're a morning person

Benefits galore!!

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many perks and benefits to being a partner. On top of health care, stock, 401k, they now offer an education benefit that is hard to beat!! Perks, like LA Fitness discounts and Verizon Wireless discounts. The list goes on!!!

Cons

It's very competitive among partners and it is very hard work physically and mentally! Especially if you work in a high volume drive-thru store. Depending on your state, they start at minimum wage and their raises have become standardize, so it's not a single income job, unless you are an ASM or SM.

Keep doing what your are doing!! Maybe come up with incentives to better motivate baristas to reach higher sales goals.

9. Ebbs and flows between the good times and not-so-good times.

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

benefits, discounts, schedule flexibility, tuition assistance

Cons

dealing in customer service anywhere can be challenging...

10. Great First Job, Worked there for 5+ years

Former Employee - Barista in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Orange, CA

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Great people to work with, Flexible Hours, Discounts on food and coffee. Meet lots of great people, Both co workers and customers. Great Benefits, 401k, stock options, insurance

Cons

If you stay at a store too long, the routine can become repetitive if you work the same shifts. Enjoyment of job duties heavily relies on the manager and co workers

Spend more time training new workers properly. Having a strong team makes the world of a difference.

11. love the company

Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager
    Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Grait people fun place to work and wonderful benefits.

Cons

Some times Qasa can ruin the way you feel about the job.

Diffrent QASA system