Starbucks Reviews

4,821 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,265 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 437 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 124 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 135 reviews)

More Highlights

I love this job!

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

I really love all the great people. And who doesn't like coffee???

Cons

Wow, there is just really nothing wrong with this company. I mean, like totally, it's the bomb!

Cut costs, especially on weird fruity pastries that nobody wants. $4 bucks for yogurt? You got to be kidding me.

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

Great place to work

I have been working at Starbucks full-time

Pros

Friendly coworkers, great training, great customers

Cons

slow advancement, had to clean bathrooms

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Newton, MA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, free drinks and food

Cons

I don't think there's any

Awesome

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance and benifits

Cons

I don't have any for now

My experience with Starbucks was an overall good experience

Former Employee - Starbucks Barista Inside Target
    Former Employee - Starbucks Barista Inside Target

I worked at Starbucks (more than an year)

Pros

Theres a great chance of growth within the company.

Cons

Bad hours, no work life balance however it is the industry that we're in

A company that knows how to treat their employees right

Current Employee - Barista in Victorville, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in Victorville, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Heath and retirement benefits plus vacation time for part time employees, environment is fairly laid back and the work load is pretty easy.

Cons

Due to how busy it can be, work can be stressful at times but that's more because of the customers honestly. More people could always be used on the floor. Recently, there has been a push toward speed and profits than the customer connection that Starbucks was built upon. Hours can be tight at times, but if you work hard and are a good worker, it's not hard to get 30+ hours.

Sometimes workers can feel like they're not being cared about even when I know that's not the case. Sometimes it can feel like management is breathing down your neck, and as such it can be hard to relax.

Great place to work if you're in a good store.

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

I like the perks--free drinks, weekly bean or tea markout, health coverage for part timers, EAP for all partners.

Cons

Advancing beyond shift supervisor is tough. Development takes forever and interviews are put off and put off until good, qualified people who would make great manages find better opportunities. Then, when an area is in need of management candidates they rush to fill the positions with outside hires who have no business managing a Starbucks.

Look to your current partners when in need of management. They know what they're in for. They know the company. They know how things work. And despite of knowing how rough things can be, they're loyal and devoted to Starbucks. We've been pouring our hearts into it for years and don't deserve to be passed over for external hires.

Fast paced environment, communication heavy and lots of multitasking. Coworkers important to get along with.

Former Employee - Barista in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free drinks and food, specially if you have a closing shift. Tips are good, and it's pretty easy. Free bags of coffee or tea every week. Coworkers were super nice and helpful. Have to strive to improve, or you will fail.

Cons

Beginning is extremely rough, if you have no experience. There's a learning curve, but you need patience. It gets pretty boring and you start to dread work, at least for me. Lots of weird rules, like what pants to wear and when you have to take off your apron.

People are great but work is a lot of politics and Power Points. When they say dealing with ambiguity, they mean it.

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company culture is great. I would have a beer with 80% of the people I work with. No one is going to come to your desk and demand that you work weekends, etc. Tons of white space in every job, if you want to dig in on something and it's in any way related to your job, you'll be encouraged to do it and if you do it well, you'll be rewarded. Totally acceptable use of your time to set up 1:1's with just about anyone, hanging out in the common areas connecting over coffee is not only accepted as standard but encouraged. The pace of the business is incredibly fast and the things that get accomplished in short amounts of time can be truly amazing. If you come to work everyday with a positive attitude and work well with others to solve problems, you'll be able to grow your career quickly.

Cons

Totally ambiguous environment where priorities change all the time. Constant changes at the leadership level lead to massive directional shifts and a lack of a clear long term strategy (3 EVP's in supply chain and 5 sourcing VP/SVPs in the last 7 years). Supply chain is seen as a necessary evil so if you work in that field, you need to know that challenging direction from the business teams is more/less unacceptable. Very silo'd organization. Decision making is almost always collaborative, takes forever and leads to most folks operating below their job titles/descriptions as they have to pass up the chain all decision rights. It's a lot like high school and you're running for student counsel every single day. Culture of heroes means that folks doing good work consistently aren't rewarded the same way that people who get into trouble and then save the day are. Partner resources (HR) organization serves little to no value.

Leadership stability would be immensely helpful in setting a long term strategy and sticking to it.
    Hire good people and let them do their jobs vs. holding all control for decisions at the VP level and above