Starbucks Reviews

4.0
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
1,856 Ratings

Pros
  • Excellent benefits even for part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • No existence of work life balance (in 131 reviews)

• District managers in the Dallas area are amazingly susceptible to engaging in this gossip - it would be comical if it weren't just sad (in 140 reviews)

2,922 Employee Reviews

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it. Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican. If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome. They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance. The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country. The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized. In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks. You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that. The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr. There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane. The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service. These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff. Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Advice to Management

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

2. Part-Time Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was given the freedom to make my schedule as flexible or rigid as I needed. Everyone who works there is eligible for full benefits.

Cons

Had a lot of immature employees that didn't understand the value of effort.

Advice to Management

Cut out the employees that aren't willing to make the effort.

3. Fun, energetic place of work.

Pros

Great company offers room to grow. Great flexibility, fun job overall.

Cons

It's customer service, sometimes you get unruly customers

5. Cool place

Pros

met awesome people, learned a lot about coffee, learned leadership skills

Cons

ruined pants, privileged clientele, cleaning restrooms

Advice to Management

larger employee discounts

6. pretty good

Current Employee - Barista
    Current Employee - Barista

I have been working at Starbucks (More than 3 years)

Pros

you get free drinks and a free pound of coffee/tea every week

Cons

experience depends on your team fortunately i have a good team

Advice to Management

listen to your employees

7. Good Company, not so great upper management

Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Fantastic Benefits, Stock options, good discount

Cons

DM's overwork Store Managers in busy markets, no respect for personal time/space, supervisor headcount based on quantity, not overall availability.

Advice to Management

In busier urban markets, make sure DMs understand that even Store Managers need at least one day off without a phone call or text.

8. Good For Now

Current Employee - Barista in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You only have to work a minimum of 20 hours a week to receive benefits. - Flexible schedule - A lot of free coffee

Cons

- Management rules vary from store to store even though they're supposed to all be the same - Some weeks you'll get a bare minimum of hours - The company is all about the bottom line, not the partners or the customers

Advice to Management

A lot of your partners want to grow with the company but aren't given the chance because of budget. It's a large company. There's money somewhere for training baristas in the Coffee Master program and other opportunities. Frankly, investing in your partners will go a long way.

9. Supervisor!

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned so much about the coffee industry and the great social responsibility the company has

Cons

My location was at the airport and it was licensed under HMS Host, not the best

10. Store manager

Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Starbucks is a great company . I love it's values

Cons

40-45 hr work weak very unrealistic.. More like 55-60 . Pay is very low for what's expected. Hourlly partners pay is extremely low. ASU university is a benefit though however as a SM you don't have much extra time for classes:-(

Advice to Management

Please update technology' - POS and computer s. we appear tech savvy to the consumer. Apps MO&P now update the behind the scenes stuff

11. Great place to work!

Pros

Love the pace of the drive through. Constant new challenges. Good veteran partners that have grown with the company.

Cons

Hours can be brutal at times. Younger customer base can be discouraging at times but that's what happens in businesses like this. Obvious flaws in rewards program.

Advice to Management

My store manager is amazing. Advice to other managers is to not just be a manager but try to be a vital role as a part of the team and strive to be the best on the floor so the partners can look up to them and respect them.

Showing 2,922 of 7,426 reviews