Starbucks Reviews

4,895 Reviews
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,165 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 131 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 140 reviews)

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Advice to Management

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

Barista

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- As a college student, they are VERY flexible with your schedule and will always find a way balance your work and school life
    - Free food mark out every shift, a pound of coffee every week and free drinks while on the clock
    - Great co-workers, tend to be super fun and together create a barista culture that we seem to only understand

Cons

- Some customers can be super rude but we get the last laugh... #decaf

Advice to Management

I've only have pleasant things to say about the managers, they are all super friendly and looking out for you.

3. Great coffee, great people.

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

It encourages you to be positive all day. It is nice to see the smile on people's faces when they get their cup of coffee. It has a great atmosphere.

Cons

The morning rush can be a lot to handle especially when you are still learning all the different drinks. You have to deal with rude people but that is inevitable with any job.

Advice to Management

Stay encouraging and positive and keep everyone working as a team. Keeping spirits high really makes the day go by smoother.

5. Coffee Journey that made me Appreciate life.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

People
    Connections
    fun
    caffiene
    addicting to be able to enjoy the atmosphere

Cons

early mornings/late nights
    picking up after others, customer service what can you do.

Advice to Management

Take the baristas/shifts that have a college degree and put time into developing, for they have at least put in time to learn the management or educational side of things. All they need is directions.

Shift Supervison

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Great benefits
    Fun work environment

Cons

Shifts vary from week to week
    no other complaints

7. Full training to become a good barista

Former Employee - Barista in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, well rounded team, career growth. Team is always able to cover my shifts. Get awards and recognition for your work.

Cons

None. Management really cares about your experience and training. You can move up in the organization and wouldn't complain or question you.

Advice to Management

None.

8. It's a pretty good job

Current Employee - Barista in Greenwood, IN
    Current Employee - Barista in Greenwood, IN

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great customers
    Great working enviornmet
    Wonderful benifits

Cons

not as partner oriented as it used to be

Advice to Management

What happened to it being about the Parter?

9. Fast Paced and hard work yet fun nevertheless

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Contemporary working environment.
    - Staff are usually younger and fun to be around
    - Shares tips
    - Free drinks during shifts

Cons

- Can be very fast paced
    - Unsociable hours (Due to long operating hours)

10. Shift Supervisor

Former Employee - Barista/Shift Supervisor in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Barista/Shift Supervisor in Detroit, MI

I worked at Starbucks (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very fun... Lots of new friends..

Cons

My location was one of the store to close..

11. great

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

i loved the creativity of the drink making

Cons

promotion time period is long

Advice to Management

get to know partners on a more personal lever to better understand their financial and life goals