Starbucks Reviews

3.6

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 437 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 124 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 135 reviews)

More Highlights

made great friends, worked with a great team, and met alot of great customers.

Former Employee - Starbucks-Barista in Warminster, PA
    Former Employee - Starbucks-Barista in Warminster, PA

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

benefits are great and holidays you get time and a half

Cons

number and value of raises were low

leasdership was great when i worked there however some of the districk managers seemed a bit bitchy and not nice or understanding

Great experience.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Ability to have a flexible work schedule, stock options, benefits, tips for hourly, bonus for management, free coffee while work, etc.

Cons

Continued reduced labor over the years with additional time-consuming beverages, accountability is not always upheld at store/district level, starting pay for new hires not as competitive as it once was

Lean principles in theory are fantastic, the issue occurs when it is rolled down to the regional and district level it begins to fall apart. Regional management takes a clear and concise initiative and interprets in their own fashion.

You have to love coffee!

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Dresher, PA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Dresher, PA

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Knowledge of Coffee, friendly customers, and your partners become your family

Cons

Drama among partners and you sometimes do not get the praise you deserve.

Make the starting wage $10! It is hard work!

Starbucks Barista Life

Current Employee - Barita in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Barita in Boston, MA

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Free Pound of Coffee or Box of Tea weekly
    Free Coffee
    Discounts
    Stocks
    Medical Care
    Ok Pay for Part time job
    Usually good co-workers
    Friendly environment
    Nice Customers
    Howard Schultz is a baller.

Cons

Lack of Transparency through promotions
    Poor Management at times
    Customers can get really angry, over their cappuccinos
    Frappaccinos
    Too much syrups and sugar
    Gross pastries
    Short staffing

Make sure managers know when to stock things
    Keep the store adequately staffed
    Hire the right people
    Keep people responsible

Was a great place to work if you wanted to advance, now just good for a part-time job.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Miami, FL

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Benefits are outstanding for a part-time job. If you like doing things for the community, this is a great job for that, their community service is outstanding. You'll love your regulars, and you can build a great little store family feel in the right place. Easy, although physically tiring, job at barista level.

Cons

Promotions are sometimes not worth it, if you can even get them. Going from Barista to Shift, you do all the same work plus get new responsibilities added on, and everything that happens on your shift is your fault. All for a dollar more an hour. I always told my baristas that they were to direct all complaints from management to me, because I knew that in the end everything was on me, and I was okay with that. The problem is that the work just piles on promotion after promotion. If you become an ASM, they you do the work of a Barista, a Shift, and an ASM. Same if you become a SM.

Promotions, at least in my area, have stalled. They'll tell you that of course you have an opportunity to grow, but in the same sentence they'll let you know they have demoted most of their ASMs back down to Shifts because they feel they made too many mistakes in promoting ASMs to SMs in the past (and I would say currently as well) and that they are currently hiring managers from outside the company. They want you to spend months with your manager, running around impressing them as much as possible with coffee sales and some such non-sense, and then if your manager leaves and you get a new one, guess what? You have to start all over with them! The promotions are basically all about kissing behinds and nothing about competency, which is why they end up with incompetent managers like the one my store got right before i left. I didn't want to see her destroy a store I loved, so I chose to leave instead.

LIke most places, it is a great company to work for but management will make or break if for you. And currently in the Miami area, management is not looking good. If you just want an easy part time job while in school or as a second job, then work here and stick to barista.

Change your promotion process after SS. ASM should be interviewed and promoted based on work history and experience, not on how much they can kiss up to the manager or how much they know and gush about coffee. SM need to listen to their SS. If you get a new store as a SM, don't walk in and ignore the SSs that have been there for years. We know our store. We get that you want to make it your own, but ignoring the SSs is a bad idea. No one knows the store or the partners better!

Decent Experience. More suited for teenagers than anything.

Former Employee - Starbucks-Barista in Cabazon, CA
    Former Employee - Starbucks-Barista in Cabazon, CA

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Decent Pay, Benefits are good

Cons

Immaturity/Gossip in the workplace
    Lack of hours
    Lack of Potential growth
    Not a job to retire in, unless your management.

Starbucks is about the human connection. Remove those employees and management that do not seek the best customer service possible. Also keep those employees that recieve commemeration from customers and never has had disiplinary action/writeups. Sadly Corporate, you are letting the truly legendary Baristas get away. By either leading them to quit, or terminating them.

good people, incompetent managment

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

good benefits for part-time work
    vacation hours
    good people

Cons

to much politics.
    can't believe how some of management got their positions

listen to your workers.

It was alright

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

It has good benefits for this type of job, hours are (somewhat) flexible and nonstandard, for those who are into that. You also get some good perks (free drinks!)

Cons

There's a lot of red tape. It also really depends on what store you work at -- some are better than others. The pay is ok for part time but not really for a full time job.

Alright job, but just needs a little more "oomph" (oomph equaling to money).

Current Employee - The Life of the Barista in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - The Life of the Barista in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Although I don't personally have these myself, Starbucks provides an adequate amount of benefits for its employees--something that isn't seen often in a most part-time job locations. The hours are very flexible, and, if needed, management is more than willing to help provide extended times off. Also, since it IS a Starbucks, there are many around within one city. From that, it can be said that it will be easy to find a location that is convenient to the employer. Great job for a student, or just about anyone that needs a part-time job!

Cons

The company itself (aka corporate) expect too much out of the baristas from what little pay they give you. They don't even pay the minimum wage known to most places, since it is a job that deals with tips. However, talking with some people who work at other places with tips, it seems that Starbucks partners (what they call their employees) make less than the average minimum pay. One can start off around $7 and something cents, and then only make approximately $2 in tip with each other. Now, compare that with a waitress who can easily make $4 an hour in tip with their single customer.

People might say that it's because baristas don't have to do as much. THAT IS WRONG. Partners are expected to do TOO much in what little time/pay they are allowed. That involves (and is not limited to) deep cleaning, "regular" cleaning, dating every-single-little thing brought into the store, and the "just-say-yes" policy. Oh, not to mention those EXTREMELY cranky customers that come in FREQUENTLY, and feel as if it is okay to yell (yes, I said yell) and disrespect the barista who is trying their hardest to make their stay as comfortable as possible.

However, the corporate at Starbucks expects baristas to be able to do every little command demanded to them while (AT THE SAME TIME) cleaning, serving customers, making drinks, dealing with unhappy people all within a 6-8 hour shift that pays minimum wage. Oh, and not only does Starbucks partners have to deal with a regular health inspector, they have to deal with the QASA (a specialized person/team that Starbucks personally hires to further inspect EVERY NOOK AND CRANNY of the store) and expects the store to get over a 95%ish in order for it be considered "passing". If not, not only do the people working at the time get written up, but the whole store does. It's pretty ridiculous.

Overall, working at Starbucks is alright, despite my rant in the "con" section. It's just that corporate needs to back off a little bit and give its partners some breathing room, ESPECIALLY with the low pay they're providing. Overworking someone without equal compensation = bad.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Starbucks-Barista in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Starbucks-Barista in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Great people to work with, fun customers, and a very fun work environment. Overall Starbucks is a great job and a fun place to work.

Cons

Starbucks doesn't pay very well at all. Their raise scale is pretty pathetic. You have to work there for several years before earning a somewhat decent hourly wage.

Overall I have no complaints toward management. I have worked at two different stores and both have been great. My only advice would be to offer a better wage.