Starbucks

www.starbucks.com
  www.starbucks.com

Starbucks Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
1,000 Reviews
3.8
1,000 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 131 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 140 reviews)

More Highlights

Being a barista has it's challenging moments, but in general it's a great job to start your career.

Former Employee - Barista in Meridian, ID
    Former Employee - Barista in Meridian, ID

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people can be amazing. If possible, do some research on the store - see what kind of people work there, what the manager is like, and observe during a very busy time like Saturday morning - the people you work with make all the difference. I was fortunate in that I worked with a team of really great people who have remained my friends.

You will almost always have a chance at promotion if you are truly showing up and giving your best every day.

It looks a little better on a resume than McDonald's, Walmart, etc.

Cons

Wastefulness. I'd say thousands of boxes of edible food go into the trash every day, and that's just a shame.

The art of being a barista seems to be getting lost, what with all the machines that just work at the touch of a button - it makes for more consistent results and not a lot of training time, but a true love of coffee is something you should have going in.

Don't expect to raise a family on barista wages alone.

Stay connected to what the good baristas really want, and stay true to all the things that made Starbucks great in the first place - including putting partners first.

I love this job!

Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is a great company that really makes it easy to be an employee.

Cons

I found it hard to have work life balance,

Great Opportunity

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Great benefits for part-time
    Free coffee - so much free coffee!

Cons

Lots of gossip
    Your experience depends on the partners and manager at your location

Starbucks Review

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company, basic pay, great hours, consistent breaks

Cons

knats flying around in the store, long hours on feet, rude customers

Love, love, love my job.

Current Employee - Barista in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've only been at Starbucks for a few months now.

-Tips. About $30 a week.
    -Regular customers can make your day.
    -Unlimited free drinks.
    -One pound of free coffee a week.
    -Plenty of hours to go around.
    -Different positions to work, bar, store support, order support, DTO, cold bar..
    -If you work morning shift, yes, it's VERY early, 4:30 AM early, but you are off by 10:30AM and have the whole day ahead of you.
    -The training, at least at my store, was awesome. From the moment I started, I learned everything about Starbucks, its history, the history of coffee beans, Howard Shultz's story, etc.

Cons

The only cons I can think of are that they started me off at minimum wage, but I've always started minimum wage everywhere thanks to many retail jobs, but from what I hear, there is a .60 cent raise every six months.

Only other con I can think of is you HAVE to find someone to replace your shift for you. Even if you're sick and laying in the hospital, you're expected to call everyone and ask them to work for you, and 90% of the time, they don't want to and you either better be extremely sick, or get hopped up on meds and just go for your few hours.

My Starbucks is listed as the fastest in the nation, average drive through being a 30 second window. My manager pushes us hard, makes unreasonable requests, and constantly makes us move, move, move. At first, it got on my last nerves, but it makes us so much faster. After visiting other Starbucks around town, I saw how slow and unclean other stores were, and it made me appreciate mine much more. So management, don't be afraid to push your baristas for better service, because waiting for your drinks for ten minutes as opposed to 30 seconds makes all the difference.

Barista

Former Employee - Barista in Hicksville, NY
    Former Employee - Barista in Hicksville, NY

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome management
    Room to grow with the company

Cons

Early hours, late nights
    A lot of cleaning

I enjoyed work!

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

It's a good time. All of my colleagues were fun, we had a good time! The days flew by quite often.

Cons

Often quite hectic. During "rush hour" things get a little bit crazy. Though busy, this is the most exciting part of the day.

Work hard, flexible and good while in school

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flex schedule and great interactions with the public

Cons

Micro managing not a lifetime career..just transitional work

Train well and let your employees shine

Great company to work for if you're a college student. Flexible scheduling and great benefits

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

-Lots of benefits including a free pound of coffee every week, at least 3 free drinks per shift, and creating all kinds of crazy drinks for yourself
    -Flexible scheduling
    -Tips
    -Meeting all kinds of different people
    -Seeing the smile on a customer's face when they get their drinks

Cons

-Showing up to work at 4:45am for opening shifts
    -Having to deal with difficult customers
    -Occasionally burning yourself with hot coffee/milk/water

A pretty great place if you have a good set of partners on the floor

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to meet some really interesting customers; there is a sort of Zen in the routine of making drinks; there are opportunities to move up if you are persistent; the culture and attitude in the stores is generally great!

Cons

Peak hours can be very stressful if the shift supervisors aren't organized; there is a lot more cleaning than you would ever expect; one bad customer can throw off a whole morning of positive attitudes and successful orders

Suggesting to SMs that regular meetings be had with baristas as well as shifts will help with communication, and communication between dayparts needs to be promoted for a happy shift for both openers and closers