Starbucks

3.7 4,324 reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz

Howard D. Schultz

(2,945 ratings)

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 401 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field (in 109 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners (in 114 reviews)

More Highlights
4,324 Employee Reviews

Awesome!

Barista (Current Employee) Goodyear, AZ

Prosamazing company, all about team work and keeping you happy, really care about employees and awesome benefits, super flexible and customers just love and appreciate us. best place to work hands down

Consnone honestly havent had a bad experience yet and i dont plan to

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the great work you really know how to run a business

Awesome!

Starbucks-Barista (Former Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsThere is definitely team work everyday

ConsI hate dumb picky customers

Advice to Senior ManagementMove us around because we get tired too

Starbucks is a great company to work for. Howard Shultz makes sure all his partners have benefits/tuition reimbursement

Barista - Starbucks (Former Employee)

ProsOne of the best places to learn great customer service skills, barista training, networking, my partners became family members to me

ConsConstant standing and stress. You have a different schedule every week so if you are looking for consistency with days off/the type of shifts you get (opener, mid, close) this might not be the place for you

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that the baristas who work 8 hours only get 40 minutes to sit and relax....while in normal 8 hour jobs there is a lot more sitting/relaxing throughout the day. It is extremely stressful and exhausting sometimes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Constantly changing, fast pace, challenging environment.

Design Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsCompany culture and commitment to doing the right thing is second to none. Senior level leadership are inspiring and motivational.

ConsThings change so rapidly it's hard to ever feel accomplished with what you've done. The target keeps moving. As resources shift, the cart goes before the horse and we are left trying to fabricate a spur of the moment horse to get things done.

An admirable, progressive company

Barista, Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Eau Claire, WI

ProsI love working for this company because I feel as though I am a part of something larger than just serving people coffee. This company constantly strives to improve communities, ethical practices, and relations with both customers as well as our partners. They are at the forefront of innovations in business operations (especially in the areas of continuous improvement and LEAN thinking) and I'm excited to be a part of the company's development. Have I mentioned the incredible benefits that come with working for this company, even if you're just part time??

ConsI do feel that barista/shift supervisor pay is an issue, but that is mainly related to the established minimum wage in each state (looking at YOU, Wisconsin).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring managers who are not only invested in the company, but the people they employ. My own store manager has supported me with such personal attention over the years, and it has made a significant impact on my life - such a positive relationship with my manager inspired me to be a transformational, as opposed to solely a transactional, leader.

I Love It

ProsGreat benefits, great people to work with

ConsSome customers can be a pain, but take everything with a grain of salt

Advice to Senior ManagementSome, not all, of the managers need more training in what they are doing.

A great and honest company selling a good product.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGreat benefits for all employees and they truly seem to care about all of them.

ConsEventually you have to move if you want to climb the ladder. Also, work-life balance can suffer with the amount it demands from you. They say it is 40 hours per week but it is more like 48-50 minimum.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the store managers more time off the floor!

Amazing!

Barista - Starbucks (Current Employee) High Point, NC

ProsThe people that you got to know on a personal level.
    Great employees, manager is one of the best.

ConsThe time when customers weren't coming in as often made it hard to stay busy.

Barista

ProsTraining
    Leadership
    Work-life balance
    Benefits are huge and you qualify for them as a part time employee
    Co-workers

ConsCustomers at times
    High Demands
    Room for advancement is hard do to little movement of higher up

Amazing starter Job!!!

Barista - Starbucks (Former Employee) Irving, TX

Pros- Very good benefits
    - Amazing team building
    - Flexible working hours
    - Full-time benefits for part-time work
    - Good promotion chances

Cons- Customer service in general is often hard for some people.
    - Low pay
    - High employee turnover
    - unrealistic training or not applicable

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!