Starbucks Reviews

3.8
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
4,346 Ratings

Pros
  • Excellent benefits even for part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • No existence of work life balance (in 131 reviews)

• District managers in the Dallas area are amazingly susceptible to engaging in this gossip - it would be comical if it weren't just sad (in 140 reviews)

6,974 Employee Reviews

1. Barista

I have been working at Starbucks part-time

Pros

They were very quick about the whole process. I called in after submitting my application online and we scheduled an interview. I had two interviews to make sure i was a fit and was offered the job right on spot as long as my background check was all good.

Cons

They dont tell you how much cleaning you really have to do with the company. Also, for the ladies, no nail polish which sucked.

Advice to Management

I really didnt have any advice. Really amazing company to work for!

2. Technology Resource Manager

Current Employee - Manager Resource Manager in Edmonds, WA
    Current Employee - Manager Resource Manager in Edmonds, WA

I have been working at Starbucks (More than 10 years)

Pros

Starbucks as a company is energized for expansion and Global Technology is directly part of many initiatives. There is a lot of work to be done and the projects are mostly well funded. Legacy applications and infrastructure are certainly here but the focus is on the future. Starbucks has always been about "change" and the pace is increasing.

Cons

Ever since Howard Schultz returned in 2008 the company has been about profitability over everything else. This is not what is voiced to partners (employees) or customers but it is what actually happens. The "strategic realignment" that occurred in early 2015 was just a quiet series of layoffs of both good and bad employees. Partners are now expecting another round every January, like any other tech company.

Advice to Management

Stop talking only to yourselves. Directors and above are increasingly isolated in their decision making and uncommunicative in their plans. If you have to use a survey to find out what individual contributors and managers are thinking, you've already failed.

3. Horrible

Current Employee - Barista
    Current Employee - Barista

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Made friends, flexible hours, job stability, some of the benefits work decent.

Cons

First of all don't let the other reviews fool you, if you don't like working holidays (Easter isn't even overtime), dealing with whiny co-workers, customers and management, waking up at 3:30 am for a 4:30 am shift, having a solid sleep schedule then don't work here. The pay is terrible for the amount of stuff you have to deal with, I also believe that you should be able to afford to live on your own if you are working. Don't let the fool you about the ASU free college, we still need to pay for the actual semester which could mean loans, then you need to pass the classes then they reimburse you. My sleep schedule is so messed up, I could wake up at 3:30 am one day for work and not go in until 2 pm the next day. Seriously why does Starbucks need to take away their loyal employees from their families on Thanksgiving and Easter and Christmas?

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees right.

5. Great

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Benefits mark outs free coffee

Cons

Opening shift and bad store managers

6. Good part time gig.

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Simple, chilled environment. Learn how to make drinks, good barista experience for possibly bartending/catering.

Cons

None really aside from pay rates.

7. Barista life

Former Employee - Barista in Summerville, SC
    Former Employee - Barista in Summerville, SC

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful health benefits if you are a full time employee. The crew I worked with was absolutely fantastic, we were all like family. Over time you learn a lot about the product and end up gaining a vast knowledge in coffee. And connecting with the regulars (or nice customers in general) is always a plus.

Cons

Management. Drama around nearly every corner. Working over time, picking up shifts, working sometimes 7 to 9 days in a row. And the pay is absolutely nothing to brag about, especially for the amount of work you put in (depending on if you're a hard worker of course).

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your baristas and shift leads. This is a serious issue I have found within the company. Make sure your stores and their equipment is up to date. I understand an espresso machine is some thousand dollars, but I promise you you'll make that up within a week in sales from that same store, or at the very least make more money by keeping customers in the store and in line instead of losing customers when equipment is down after making them wait for 10 minutes and risking them not returning. Pay attention.

8. doesnt worth the benefits

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Starbucks (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits and flexible sceduele

Cons

too much pressures on partners from suit guys

9. Shift Supervisor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible Hours Teamwork philosophy Ability to move up in the company Community Spirit

Cons

Worked with some very incompetent people Short staffed frequently Asked to sell things that were very difficult to sell on top of doing regular tasks

Advice to Management

Hire people who will work hard and stay cool under pressure. Help employees be excited about the culture of Starbucks but at the same time recognize that it is not the end all be all.

10. Barista

Former Employee - Lead Barista in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Lead Barista in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

only reason I gave it a 2 instead of a 1 is because of the free drinks employees receive.

Cons

No Christmas vacation! Nights and weekends:( Your there till midnight and had to be there to open at 4 am, mind you I was working at the 5th largest and most popular Starbucks in the United States.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more training before being thrown in and making drinks.

11. working for starbucks

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Greeley, CO
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Greeley, CO

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, free coffee, good part time job

Cons

bad management, new goals every month, low to crappy pay, very difficult / evil customers

Advice to Management

upper management, pay baristas more! your better than this! you'll have better turn over too

Showing 6,974 of 6,949 reviews