Starbucks Reviews

3.6

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 401 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field (in 109 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners (in 114 reviews)

More Highlights

Love it

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Great, work life balance with career advancement. Good Pay with higher income potential as you move up in the company

Cons

Working on the holidays when necessary and trying to get everything done in a 40 hour work week is tough but it goes back to making sure you have a great work life balance.

Keep doing what you are doing. I am excited and proud to be a apart of such a great company that is always giving back.

Loved it at first.

Current Employee - Barista  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Barista in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

I loved the people I worked with until most of them quit due to new management.
    -great people
    -clean work environment
    -overall great job

Cons

I personally hated the hours. Its either early in the morning or late at night and that is awesome if you don't go to college. Made it really stressful to focus ok school work

I felt like I didn't get paid enough to do half of the stuff that is required of you.

Excellent career path

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Benefits, people, workers, atmosphere are the best aspect when working for this great coffee company. The free employee drinks are nice.

Cons

Little flexibility in schedule and training. Customers can be quite rude and the increase in pay is usually less than hoped for

Keep hiring within. When hiring managers with no Starbucks experience they are less likely to stay and also instill a positive working environment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I am very proud to work for the company however the business unit needs to work on the work-life balance.

Current Employee - IT Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Contribute to the greater good of the world. It isn't just about profit.

Cons

The job security feeling could be improved.

Work on making your employees feel secure in their jobs.

Best place to work

Current Employee - Manager  in  Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

atmosphere
    benefits
    fun
    third place
    great place well structured company with an excellent training program and great benefits that include free pound of coffee each week

Cons

wage
    very fast pace
    advancement can be tough from a supervisor to get into management. there are few Assistant Manager spots in the company so the supervisor to General Manager jump can be challenging.

Great part time job

Former Employee - Barista  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Barista in Orlando, FL

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Starbucks offered GREAT benefits, from tuition reimbursement, accumulated paid time off, discounted health insurance and much more. You meet interesting co-workers and customers. It is a fun job for highcschool and college.

Cons

It can be stressful. As any other retail/service companies, holidays are the busiest time of the year, so it is not so easy to take time off to travel away for the holidays.

Communication of changes in new products, drinks, and other promotional offers should be handled more effectively. Many times employees have no clue of promotions until the customer informs us.

I learned a lot and worked with some great people.

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

I worked at the corporate office in Seattle. Starbucks is very LGBT friendly. If you're LGBT, this is a great company to work for. If you're a woman, this is a great company to work for. Their policies about harassment are extremely fair and professional. Oh, there are espresso machines in all the break rooms with syrups and whipped cream just like in the stores.

Cons

Starbucks is past their boom years, and they took a beating in the crash. I think that they'll pull themselves back up, but the creative jobs are probably even harder to get into than they used to be, and they've always been really tough and competitive.

I think that outsourcing the Customer Contact Center was an error. Any representative of Starbucks that faces customers should be a Starbucks partner. You had an opportunity to use what customer service reps know about your customer base to help shape marketing strategies for greater success. No one has ever really done that before. Marketing gets feedback from customer service, but since they're only interested in hearing that their promotions were successful, any marketing person will shun advice from a contact center that knows how their customer base will react.

Good company

Current Employee - Barista  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Barista in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

The benefits are amazing flexible

Cons

Depends on which store and what people are working that will affect you

Corporate Starbucks needs reform.

Former Employee - Barista  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Barista in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

A real sense of team among the store employees was nice. Of course, this will vary from store to store.

Cons

No time off when you need it... ever... even when you're sick. It was impossible to find anyone willing or able to work for me when I needed it.

Mostly, corporate Starbucks has screwed up by trying to optimize everything and taking all the guesswork out of customer service, instead making the job mechanical, rigid, and cold, which shows no faith in its employees. In the same breath, though, they tell you to "connect" with customers using an inflexible script. They've stripped their low-level employees of confidence all the while making their lives more miserable by optimizing scheduling (not hiring part-time, flexible employees who are able to cover shifts). This was the case when I worked there, at least. I apologize if this is no longer the case.

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!

Current Employee - Barista  in  Pasco, WA
    Current Employee - Barista in Pasco, WA

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Benefits are amazing (way better compared to others).
    Job is fun!
    Fast-paced. (makes the day fly by)
    Never bored (when you finally get a break from customers you are running to stock and clean)

Cons

Very high expectations from management for the pay you receive.
    Don't expect management to praise you.
    Grow thick skin because customers can be extremely rude!

Start sucking up early!
    Don't let the pay hold you back from being the very best you can be because you won't excel.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!