Starbucks Reviews

1. Good company

Current Employee - Barista in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Barista in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

The benefits are amazing flexible

Cons

Depends on which store and what people are working that will affect you

2. World Class Customer Service

Current Employee - ASM in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - ASM in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

-Great benefits -Good Networking -Fun people -Great hours

Cons

-Sub par management -Poor wages -Difficult to promote -Hard physical work for very little pay

Advice to Management

-Network amongst district managers or store managers. -Be in constant contact with Senior manager. -Be willing to transfer to other stores or districts. -Already have a replacement for yourself.

A fun job with troubled management

Current Employee - Barista in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Barista in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

-It's generally a fun job and your coworkers will probably be young people you can get along with. I have made some good friends, and if you come on shift with a positive attitude, you will have a good time. -There are a lot of benefits to working for a big company; one of them being the ability to transfer or pick up shifts almost anywhere you can think of. It also means lots of places to use your 30% discount. Stock options are still a rare benefit for a retail job, and the stock performs well. -If you stay with the company, you can work your way up to a comfortable income. Many store managers and some district managers started out as baristas. -The 10 minute breaks at Starbucks are better than most because, hey, you're already in a cafe! Make yourself a free drink and chillax -It's physically and mentally demanding. Ask any barista how many tasks they can do in the 12 seconds that the blender is running!

Cons

-Retail management, at least in my area, is dysfunctional. Some managers, like my own, are more concerned with receiving their various bonuses than being an effective leader for the store. I am continually shocked by some of the sketchy methods used to meet the benchmarks set by corporate (inadequate facilities maintenance, paying baristas cash under the table to meet labor targets, re-steaming old milk to reduce the amount that we need to buy; the list goes on) -Training is minimal, and turnover is high. Labor allotment always seems just slightly below what we need to get the job done -The reputation that Starbucks has for quick advancement was formed before 2008 when they were expanding quickly and constantly building new stores. You can still work your way up, but it will take a lot longer than it used to -Feedback on job performance from the store manager is one-sided. They will let you know instantly if they think you're doing something wrong, but 6-month reviews are done without the knowledge of the barista being reviewed. Nobody is told when their review has taken place. Shift supervisors tend to be more open with feedback. -Input from baristas regarding store operations are either ignored or condescendingly rejected out of hand. Programs like "Coffee Master" are in place for employee development, but little to no time is given to complete them. I was essentially expected to do the program on my own time (unpaid) if I wanted to be certified. -Write-ups are at the discretion of the SM and they can be completely arbitrary. Employees have been written up for violations months after the fact, with no proof given and no recourse available. One write-up, or "Corrective Action" does not affect your employment status, but management can hold it over your head years later, in some cases using it to deny you promotions or threaten you with termination

Advice to Management

Corporate management could solve a lot of issues by rethinking the way they give bonuses to store managers. As it stands, the bonuses and unrealistic expectations are an incentive for managers to disobey policy.

5. Wonderful culture; horrible pay and benefits

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

- Amazing place for people that want to be respected and appreciated by peers and managers - Plenty of opportunities to grow and learn as a finance person (if you are a people person) - Great senior leaders that actually do care about you as a person

Cons

- The pay is beyond sub-par and does not come close to representing the overall Seattle pay structure for finance people. In fact, as a finance person, we are paid 30% less than someone in marketing at the same pay grade - The systems are falling apart and completely unreliable - The benefts are tied to the field partners, which means a professional cannot earn more vacation or have better medical than someone in the store

Advice to Management

It's time to acknowledge the reality that our peers in other Seattle based companies earn more than we do for the same (or even less) work. As painful as it may be, the company needs to recongnize that professional talent in the HQ deserves better benefits, even if parity with the field is no longer possible.

Difficult at times, but decent benefits and some great perks.

Former Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

THe benefits, rebates on drinks, free drinks on shift, a markout of 1 lb. of coffee per week. Getting to know customers and meet interesting people. Fun, busy work environment.

Cons

Bad managment can make your life miserable, especially when it comes to scheduling and milk orders. Rushes can be pretty miserable , especially when understaffed. There are cranky, rude customers as well but my experience hasn't been as awful as I've heard it can be. Confrontations between morning and closing shifts and pettiness can be a problem as well. Avoid drama at all costs!!!

Advice to Management

Don't treat your support with disrespect, being stressed out during a rush gives no excuse to give short attitudes to baristas (and vice versa). Study when the rushes will be and plan ahead properly for them, and make sure that you maintain an updated status with community events in order to better predict customer influxes. DO NOT SCHEDULE CLOPENINGS. Leaving late and getting in early is miserable for the employee and shows simple lack of care and respect

Good Job advancement, immature staff

Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Confidence by the company to lead your store. Realistic goals. Company Support. Make your own schedule, minimal supervision, average pay.

Cons

Barista's pay not competitive, high turnover. Frequent Changes in upper management, some don't know Starbucks culture. Store Manager is a barista, supervisor and assistant all in one in addition to own duties.

Advice to Management

More Non-Coverage for Store Managers. Our priority should be customer focus and partner training not controlling shift complement and doing 10 minute slides.

8. Great place to work, not so great a place to get a promotion in IT

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Howard is an incredibly visionary and capable leader. The company is very ethically run and it's involvement in helping community, both for our coffee and tea farmers and for the places that host our stores is beyond compare.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity in IT. Few promotions and each time a new VP comes in, they are very biased against inside talent.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to be more hands on in promoting our core values across all levels of management when it comes to valuing internal talen.

9. Starbucks is a perfect opportunity to make money, receive benefits, and make connections with customers.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Lakewood, WA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Lakewood, WA

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Experiences with different people. Free drinks. 1 lb of whole beans per week. Full time benefits.

Cons

Customers can be very demanding at times.

Advice to Management

Managers could do a better job at scheduling but with economical times like these, it's not a big deal.

10. Great first job

Former Employee - Barista in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Barista in Miami, FL

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Flexible hours, decent pay and scheduled raises. A fast, semi-rewarding work environment. Usually you'll work with good people, deepening on management .

Cons

High pressure, a lot of abuse from angry customers. Frequent turnover. Not good pay for anyone not a teenager. Odd hours.

Advice to Management

Work more in the trenches with your employees and realize what it is really like to work at Starbucks. As opposed to staying behind a desk.

11. very very good.

Current Employee - Server in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Server in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

free drinks, free food, tips, people, and the staff is awesome. no problems at all would love to stay but cant

Cons

the early mornings are bad after a long night of drinking, but cant complain it paid the bills. overall great place

Advice to Management

to pick on the little people, this job is not the last for most peolpe but a starting point. there

Showing 205 of 6,988 reviews